PDA

View Full Version : Newbie networking question...

jintsjason
2006-01-21, 13:49
I have two 250 MB hard drives of FLAC files. I only use laptops. If I hook up my hard drives to a Netgear SC101, can the Squeezebox "see" the music there on the network, or do I have to get a dedicated PC to use as a server?

Thanks!

- jason

notanatheist
2006-01-21, 14:39
SB won't see the music on it's own. You need to run the server software on something. Any P-II or better with at least 256 is preferred. Then just map the drive as a letter (Windows) or a mount point (linux) to be able to easily browse the music.

RadioClash
2006-01-22, 08:37
When adding two drives to this storage device (I have two 500 gig drives I would add), will the network then see them as 1 large drive, or will they still be two separate drives when I browse the music files on the network?

Siduhe
2006-01-22, 10:01
When adding two drives to this storage device (I have two 500 gig drives I would add), will the network then see them as 1 large drive, or will they still be two separate drives when I browse the music files on the network?

One big library.

There's an ongoing discussion of the pros and cons of having the option to keep as two seperate drives here (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=20303)

jintsjason
2006-01-22, 11:33
Thanks for the response....so just so I'm clear...

If
1) I buy a cheapo Athlon or Celeron Desktop
2) put it on the network
3) keep it on 24/7 running the server software
4) hide it in my closet
5) get a slug and attach my two HD's to it (or plug in those HD's to the cheapo PC)
6) have the cheapo PC see it and assign drive letters to the HD's

...then the S3 will be good to go?

Thanks!

ceejay
2006-01-22, 16:40
Thanks for the response....so just so I'm clear...

If
1) I buy a cheapo Athlon or Celeron Desktop
2) put it on the network
3) keep it on 24/7 running the server software
4) hide it in my closet
5) get a slug and attach my two HD's to it (or plug in those HD's to the cheapo PC)
6) have the cheapo PC see it and assign drive letters to the HD's

...then the S3 will be good to go?

Thanks!

sounds good. Just a couple of things to make sure you set up correctly, and you'll be fine...

1 - don't let your server overheat in the closet!
2 - if the drives are network attached you need to set it up a little carefully to make sure slimserver can see it (Windows)
3 - if the music is spread across multiple drives you'll need to set up some links to make it look to slimserver as if its all in one directory.

Both 2 and 3 are easily done and, I think, covered in the config guide (certainly frequently discussed in the forums)

HTH

Ceejay

RadioClash
2006-01-23, 22:36
The reviews that I've read on the Netgear SC101 point to a very slow transfer rate when using this storage device. do any users here of the SC101 have the same experience? Is the heatsink effective, or do the drives still get pretty hot?