PDA

View Full Version : Question: Setting up SlimServer and XM Radio Online

Geehman
2006-01-20, 20:15
How do I setup XM Radio online to stream to the Squeezebox? Do I need a plugin? Thanks!

snarlydwarf
2006-01-20, 20:28
see http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=19791

I haven't used the plugin, but looks like it works.

Geehman
2006-01-21, 10:56
Thanks. I'll download it and check it out.

mgscott
2006-02-24, 17:48
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but can XM be played using a Linux-based slimserver?

I downloaded the latest versions of both the plugin and server (SlimServer Version: 6.2.1 - 5194 - Linux - EN - utf8). Plugin installed fine and I configured it and logged in.

I can tune a station and it displays on the web and my SB1, however, when I press Play I get "WMA CONVERT ERROR - CHECK FILE TYPES". Can I play WMA files? If so where do I find what I need?

TIA

malsbury
2006-02-24, 18:08
Can I play WMA files? If so where do I find what I need?Yes you can.

The easiest way to get it up and running is to install the AlienBBC plugin and mplayer. Even if you never use the AlienBBC plugin as it was intended, it handles setting up all the .conf files to send the WMA stream to mplayer using the mplayer.sh script that the AlienBBC team cooked up. You will also be able to play RealAudio streams in addition to WMA.

You can get AlienBBC and installation instructions at:

http://www.x2systems.com/AlienBBC/

I use it to stream from Sirius, NPR and AirAmerica through my Linux server to my Slimp3s without any additonal setup other then installing AlienBBC.

--Tom Malsbury

mgscott
2006-02-24, 19:00
Thanks for the speedy reply.
Well, I followed the instructions and installed the plugin.
Now I get a bit farther. When I select a channel and hit play, the channel displays with "CONNECTING TO PLAY:" and nothing happens.
I can get the presets as I set them on the web site, so I'm pretty sure the login is correct. What am I missing?

malsbury
2006-02-24, 19:50
Thanks for the speedy reply.
Well, I followed the instructions and installed the plugin.
Now I get a bit farther. When I select a channel and hit play, the channel displays with "CONNECTING TO PLAY:" and nothing happens.
I can get the presets as I set them on the web site, so I'm pretty sure the login is correct. What am I missing?Well, since you are using two plugins in combination, lets make sure AlienBBC is working to transcode WMA streams. Go to the "Radio Tune In" area in the web UI and put in the following URL for the WMA stream from Air America :

http://play.rbn.com/play.asx?url=airam/airam/wmlive/live.asf&proto=mms?mswmext=.asx

It will take a few seconds for the transcoding to start and fill the buffer so just wait. If you get audio after about 20 seconds your AlienBBC install is working and the problem lies with the XM radio plugin setup(which I have never used but there are several active threads). If you don't get any audio, WMA transcoding isn't working and you should trouble shoot your AlienBBC install.

You should also run Slimserver from the command line with the plugin debugging option turned on (./slimserver.pl -d_plugins) and watch the output to see where it is failing and what errors it is reporting. You can post the output if there is anything in it that you don't understand.

--Tom Malsbury

mgscott
2006-02-25, 10:03
I see the same thing when trying to play the URL you sent.
I looked in /tmp/slimserver.log and I see the following (it seems each time it tries to launch mplayer):

Streaming: Launching mplayer -really-quiet -vc null -vo null -cache 128 -af volume=0,resample=44100:0:1,channels=2 -ao pcm:nowaveheader:file=/dev/fd/3 mms://rx-wes-sea149.rbn.com/farm/*/airam/airam/wmlive/live.asf:1
/usr/local/SlimServer_v6.2.1/Bin/mplayer.sh: line 17: mplayer: command not found

I verified that mplayer.sh is on the path specified and is executable by the user account used to launch slimserver.

-rwxrwxr-- 1 slimserver nogroup 640 2005-11-19 05:44 /usr/local/SlimServer_v6.2.1/Bin/mplayer.sh

Could it have something to do with the fact that I launch slimserver using a link?

~> ls -l /usr/local/slimserver
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 2006-02-21 18:23 /usr/local/slimserver -> SlimServer_v6.2.1

mgscott
2006-02-25, 10:28
I think I found the problem. mplayer and mplayer.sh are two different things (DUH!). I just downloaded the mplayer sources and am getting it installed now. I'll let you know how it turns out.

mgscott
2006-02-25, 13:01
It appears to be working. Downloaded, compiled, and installed mplayer. I had to make a couple of adjustments.

mplayer.sh still couldn't find the binary so I edited the line:
app=mplayer
to:
app=/usr/local/bin/mplayer

Then it had trouble finding a dll and even though the README said they should go in /usr/local/lib/codecs, changing the directory name to /usr/local/lib/win32 made it happy.

Thanks again for the help.