PDA

View Full Version : Music Folder Rejected

jbm8b
2006-01-20, 18:20
I know this is a common problem, but I have read the FAQs, checked the forums, and executed the list of remedies listed below, but I still cannot get SlimServer to recognize my Music Folder, located on a networked drive.

I am running XP, and have a Western Digital NetCenter networked (wireless B) as a shared drive. I run Windows Firewall, and all three needed ports appear to be open. I have done the following:

1) Created a SlimServer user account with Administrator access, and established SlimServer as a service.

2) I have tried entering every variation of drive name, both UNC and drive letter, that I can think of. I have used the name for the drive in 'My Computer', the device name from the NetCenter setup page, the path name shown in windows explorer when in the network drive, etc., each using drive letter, \\...\..., and so on. All to no avail.

I can load the library with local files. Just can't access the network folders, which unfortunately, is where all my music is.

What else could be causing the problem? What other information can I provide to give a clearer picture of the problem?

Thanks!

snarlydwarf
2006-01-20, 19:28
What else could be causing the problem? What other information can I provide to give a clearer picture of the problem?

http://www.slimdevices.com/su_faq.html#troubleshooting-sharedvolume

jbm8b
2006-01-20, 22:19
I did that twice. Once in my normal user account, and then again in a SlimServer user account. No luck.

Michaelwagner
2006-01-21, 05:31
Can you tell us in more detail what "it doesn't work" means exactly?

When you enter the network name in the Music Folder, does it accept it and acknowledge it on the next refresh of the browser?

After that, can you find any music via Browse Music Folder?

If you can't, we have one set of problems.

If you can see music via Browse Music Folder, but not via Browse Artist/Album,etc, we have a different set of problems.

jbm8b
2006-01-21, 07:32
Each iteration of folder name and path I select is rejected with the:

Oops - "\\WD-NetCenter\Audio" doesn't seem to be a valid directory". I have tried mapping to drive letters and variations on the path, all with no luck.

Where in windows would be the correct source of the right path, as there are references to this drive in different places in windows that are varied. For instance, the NetCenter admin utility lists the Device Name as WD-NetCenter. "My Computer" in windows (within my user account), shows the drive as "NetCenter (V:)", while the path name for all folders on the drive is simply V:\. I tried all variations on these names (UNC and drive letter) with no success. I then started a new account just for Slim Server which resulted in the same issues, although the drive names differed slightly for that account.

Michaelwagner
2006-01-21, 07:44
I don't know much about WD Netcenter.

Does it have file permissions?

Can you access those files yourself using windows explorer? From the same account used to run Slimserver?

Both
\\WD-NetCenter\Audio
and
V:\
*should* work. The fact that they fail in the way you describe means something fairly fundamental is going astray.

Oh, how did the music get onto the drive in the first place?

JJZolx
2006-01-21, 12:47
I know this is a common problem, but I have read the FAQs, checked the forums, and executed the list of remedies listed below, but I still cannot get SlimServer to recognize my Music Folder, located on a networked drive.

I am running XP, and have a Western Digital NetCenter networked (wireless B) as a shared drive. I run Windows Firewall, and all three needed ports appear to be open. I have done the following:

1) Created a SlimServer user account with Administrator access, and established SlimServer as a service.
Administrator access isn't necessary, particularly if it's a local administrator on the SlimServer PC (vs. a domain Administrator account, although you probably don't have a Windows domain set up in your home). The networked machine doesn't know anything about your PC's accounts. The reason you need to run SlimServer under a user account is simply that the LOCAL SYSTEM account isn't permitted to access anything on the network.

2) I have tried entering every variation of drive name, both UNC and drive letter, that I can think of. I have used the name for the drive in 'My Computer', the device name from the NetCenter setup page, the path name shown in windows explorer when in the network drive, etc., each using drive letter, \\...\..., and so on. All to no avail.

Forget using mapped drive letters for services. Don't even waste your time. A UNC share should work if everything is set up correctly.

I can load the library with local files. Just can't access the network folders, which unfortunately, is where all my music is.

Only two things I can think of:
You have the wrong UNC name, either in the machine name part or in the share name part. Should look like:

\\machine_name\share_name

You should be able to type this into the Address bar of Windows Explorer and browse through the folder. If you can't, then you have the name wrong.

To find the machine (and share) name, try the following: In Windows Explorer, open 'Entire Network', then 'Microsoft Windows Network' and drill down. If the the device was set up in the same workgroup you should be able to see it.

Permission problems at the NetCenter. Make sure everyone has read access to the share. If you require a login/password for the share I'm pretty certain that SlimServer can't handle it.

jbm8b
2006-01-21, 13:17
Excellent help. Turns out the path name was //NET-CENTER/Shared Files, which I had not tried, as only in Windows Explorer/My Network Places was that particular variant listed.

My library is now valid, and the needed folders added. That folder contains a bunch of .shn files I will need to convert, and many of the flacs are missing file information. So that will end up being a formitable, but separate project. I plan to simply enter all the needed info in WinAmp and convert the .shn files in Foobar. If anyone thinks that is needlessly innefficient, please let me know.

In the meantime, next step is to get the SB up and running in order to ensure the whole system works. Then I will get into the nitty gritty of building up the library, etc.

Thanks so much to everyone for the quick and useful responses. These forums are terrific!

James