PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Rescan.

RobBrooks
2006-01-20, 10:35
I apologise in advance if this is covered elsewhere but I've had a look at come up with nothing.

Got a SB3 about a month ago and everything's been great.

I'm running SlimServer off an XP box which uses a Maxtor Shared Storage drive for mp3s.

Just in the last couple of days I've made some pretty large additions to the mp3 library and since then rescan doesn't seem to work in either clear or update mode.

I just get about 3 albums listed and that's it.

Is there a log file I can check on the XP box which might give me an idea of where the rescan is failing?

Perhaps one of my newly added mp3s has some madly corrupted ID3 tag?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Rob.

Brian Ritchie
2006-01-20, 19:12
Just before I got my SB3, I found that bad tags on some of my WMA files (a non-unique URL tag) caused SS to crash mid-scan; this sounds similar to your situation (but might not be the same, of course). The problem was fixed in the "nightly" release of 6.2.2 a few days later; so if you're still running 6.2.1 or earlier, try picking up the latest release of 6.2.2 and see if that fixes it.

If not, then read the thread http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=18190, which might help with debugging.

Michaelwagner
2006-01-21, 04:05
since then rescan doesn't seem to work in either clear or update mode.

I just get about 3 albums listed and that's it.

Is there a log file I can check on the XP box which might give me an idea of where the rescan is failing?
We'll need some more information before we can be of much help.

Does the server crash during scanning? Or does it stay up?

If it crashes, you need to look in the error log for an error message. In most windows systems, that will be under control panel/administrative tools/event viewer.

Then post the message here and we'll help you some more.

If it doesn't crash, what exactly does happen?

I assume there are more than 3 albums in your music folder? If so, go to the web interface, click on browse music folder, find an album that isn't getting shown in the browse albums view, drill down to the individual tracks in the album and look for any odd or unusual tags. If nothing jumps out at you, cut and paste that view into this thread and we'll look at it with you.

RobBrooks
2006-01-21, 05:13
We'll need some more information before we can be of much help.

After taking down the server a couple of times and restarting it and then performing the rescan things seemed to start working again.

I now have all the music catalogued but I'll do a bit more of an in depth analysis if this happens again and let you know what I find.

Many thanks for the replies in any case.