PDA

View Full Version : Album art is MIA

Kyle
2006-01-18, 21:32
I have saved cover.jpg and thumb.jpg files to several of my album folders and done a clear and rescan, but no artwork shows up either in browse artwork or when the album is selected under browse albums. The covers are 300x300 and the thumbs are 100x100. I don't get it. Now that I have started using Moose, I would especially like to be able to see the album art.

kdf
2006-01-18, 22:12
Kyle wrote:
> I have saved cover.jpg and thumb.jpg files to several of my album
> folders and done a clear and rescan, but no artwork shows up either in
> browse artwork or when the album is selected under browse albums. The
> covers are 300x300 and the thumbs are 100x100. I don't get it. Now
> that I have started using Moose, I would especially like to be able to
> see the album art.
>
>
d_artwork, and check the log when you rescan. make sure it is looking
and finding.
-k

Kyle
2006-01-19, 07:21
d_artwork, and check the log when you rescan. make sure it is looking
and finding.
-k

Could you tell me specifically how to do this? Also, do I need to do a full clear and rescan or just a changed music rescan?

Skunk
2006-01-19, 07:51
Go to Server settings in Slim Server. There is a link at the top called degugging. Click that, and select the checkbox for d_artwork. Click change. Back to the server settings, choose clear and rescan everything.

When it's finished, go back to the 'debugging' tab. Click 'here' at the end of the sentence (you can't tell it's a link easily) and SS will open a window for you to view the debugging info you selected.

Make sure it's looking and finding. If you're not sure what youre looking at post a snippet here. Cut and paste a segment of the code, regarding an album in particular that you're having trouble with, to this post and it might be easier to see why the art won't show.

If you don't want to rescan everything, add an album to your library with pic in the same directory, then rescan for new music and post the code from d_art.

EDIT: forgot to say Click change after checking checkbox.

kdf
2006-01-19, 10:31
Quoting Kyle <Kyle.21vynz (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> kdf Wrote:
>> d_artwork, and check the log when you rescan. make sure it is looking
>> and finding.
>> -k
>
> Could you tell me specifically how to do this? Also, do I need to do a
> full clear and rescan or just a changed music rescan?

server settings->debugging
click on d_artwork (box will now be checked)
click change
click on the link at the end of the description text at the top to open
the log file in a browser window.

OR

stop teh server from the task tray
start->programs->accessories->command prompt
c:\program files\slimserver\server\slim.exe --d_artwork --logfile
c:\artlog.txt
run the scan

load up c:\artlog.txt in any text editor (wordpad, notepad, etc)

Best to do a wipe and scan here becuase you want to make sure you are
grabbing completely fresh information. you can try just looking for
new, but it will then onyl be looking for artwork in new albums that it
finds.

-kdf
wait for server to load up and be started.

Kyle
2006-01-19, 10:50
Here's a log snippet:
2006-01-19 12:30:55.1975 Updating image for file:///E:/FLAC%20Files/Derek%20And%20The%20Dominos/The%20Jams/01%20-%20Jam%20I.flac
2006-01-19 12:30:55.2071 Looking for image in FLAC metadata blocks - in file E:\FLAC Files\Derek And The Dominos\The Jams\01 - Jam I.flac
2006-01-19 12:30:55.2247 Looking for image files in E:\FLAC Files\Derek And The Dominos\The Jams
2006-01-19 12:30:55.2559 Retrieving artwork (thumb) for: file:///E:/FLAC%20Files/Janis%20Joplin/Pearl%20(Disc%202)/08%20-%20Try%20(Just%20A%20Little%20Bit%20Harder)%20(Liv e).flac
2006-01-19 12:30:55.2566 Updating image for file:///E:/FLAC%20Files/Janis%20Joplin/Pearl%20(Disc%202)/08%20-%20Try%20(Just%20A%20Little%20Bit%20Harder)%20(Liv e).flac
2006-01-19 12:30:55.2655 Looking for image in FLAC metadata blocks - in file E:\FLAC Files\Janis Joplin\Pearl (Disc 2)\08 - Try (Just A Little Bit Harder) (Live).flac
2006-01-19 12:30:55.2867 Looking for image files in E:\FLAC Files\Janis Joplin\Pearl (Disc 2)
2006-01-19 12:30:55.3100 Retrieving artwork (thumb) for: file:///E:/FLAC%20Files/Ray%20Charles/Genius%20Loves%20Company/01%20-%20Here%20We%20Go%20Again%20(with%20Norah%20Jones) .flac
2006-01-19 12:30:55.3107 Updating image for file:///E:/FLAC%20Files/Ray%20Charles/Genius%20Loves%20Company/01%20-%20Here%20We%20Go%20Again%20(with%20Norah%20Jones) .flac

kdf
2006-01-19, 11:19
Here's a log snippet:

2006-01-19 12:30:55.3100 Retrieving artwork (thumb) for: file:///E:/FLAC%20Files/Ray%20Charles/Genius%20Loves%20Company/01%20-%20Here%20We%20Go%20Again%20(with%20Norah%20Jones) .flac
2006-01-19 12:30:55.3107 Updating image for file:///E:/FLAC%20Files/Ray%20Charles/Genius%20Loves%20Company/01%20-%20Here%20We%20Go%20Again%20(with%20Norah%20Jones) .flac

Unless you see "Found thumb file: ...." then Updating is only storing the fact that there is no image for that file, hence that album. Debugging used also show the results of checking for each file, but I guess this hasn't been thought of as valid enough to keep through all the version changes.
-k

Kyle
2006-01-19, 11:37
Can you even tell if it is looking in the right place? My images are stored in each album folder (artist\album) along with the flac files for each track on the album.

kdf
2006-01-19, 11:55
Quoting Kyle <Kyle.21wa8o (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> Can you even tell if it is looking in the right place? My images are
> stored in each album folder (artist\album) along with the flac files
> for each track on the album.
>
seems to be:
E:\FLAC Files\Janis Joplin\Pearl (Disc 2)

the key log lines for that start with "looking for..", and will mention
lookin in the tags (metadata blocks), followed by "images files in..."
if no artwork tags are found.

Another thread on artwork mentioned having better results when turning
iTunes off (I guess it is yet another iTunes upgrade).

Also take note of the difference when using browse artwork vs
navigating down to a single track on the songinfo page. You'll get
artwork there too, but it is brought up live instead of through the
scanning. If you see artwork there, and not in browse Artwork then
that helps narrow it down. If you don't see artwork, then usually
something is wrong with the artwork tags, artwork file name or the
artwork itself. Perhaps check that you have cover.jpg, and not
cover.JPG.

-kdf

Kyle
2006-01-19, 12:13
If you don't see artwork, then usually
something is wrong with the artwork tags, artwork file name or the artwork itself. Perhaps check that you have cover.jpg, and not
cover.JPG.
-kdf

What's the difference between the artwork tags and artwork file names? I changed the file name to cover.jpg. How do I check the tag?

kdf
2006-01-19, 12:26
Quoting Kyle <Kyle.21wc3b (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> kdf Wrote:
>> If you don't see artwork, then usually
>> something is wrong with the artwork tags, artwork file name or the
>> artwork itself. Perhaps check that you have cover.jpg, and not
>> cover.JPG.
>> -kdf
>
> What's the difference between the artwork tags and artwork file names?
> I changed the file name to cover.jpg. How do I check the tag?

some tagging programs allow you to add artwork to the file in the same
way that you set artist/title/album etc. Tag&Rename is a good one for
checking and setting. The logs show that the server was looking for
files, so I don't think you have any tags interfering. If an artwork
tag is found in the audio file, the server will skip the "looking for
images files in..." bit.

what was your art filename before?

There are several options for filenames, but the are case sensitive.
Check the wiki for details, you can searh for "artwork"
-kdf

Kyle
2006-01-19, 12:42
some tagging programs allow you to add artwork to the file in the same
way that you set artist/title/album etc. Tag&Rename is a good one for
checking and setting. The logs show that the server was looking for
files, so I don't think you have any tags interfering. If an artwork
tag is found in the audio file, the server will skip the "looking for
images files in..." bit.

what was your art filename before?

There are several options for filenames, but the are case sensitive.
Check the wiki for details, you can searh for "artwork"
-kdf

The file name was just cover or thumb, even though they were .jpeg files there was no ".jpg" or ".jpeg" at the end, so I went back and added it just in case that was the problem. I have been using Tag & Rename to capture the image files from Amazon and adding them to the files and the tags. Should I just do one and not the other?

kdf
2006-01-19, 13:18
Quoting Kyle <Kyle.21wdhb (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

> The file name was just cover or thumb, even though they were .jpeg
> files there was no ".jpg" or ".jpeg" at the end, so I went back and
> added it just in case that was the problem. I have been using Tag &
> Rename to capture the image files from Amazon and adding them to the
> files and the tags. Should I just do one and not the other?

must have the extension. I'm sure that will solve your issue. Tagging
isn't required, but some people like to have it all in tags and set
during ripping. Also, you might want to have certain songs override
the album art. This wont affect browse by artwork, since that is one
pic per album, but at the track level (songinfo, and "now playing" for
some skins) you might prefer a different picture for that song. This
can be done by adding the art in a tag. Side effect, however, the
first track scanned set the pic for the album if you use tags.

What you do with all of that, is up to your imagination.

-kdf

Kyle
2006-01-19, 13:29
must have the extension. I'm sure that will solve your issue.-kdf

I actually did that for a couple of files before a total rescan, but the art still did not show up. I'll try doing some others. Is there an easy way to accomplish this, or do I have to change them one-by-one by renaming the file? Also, let me make certain I have this perfectly clear: I need 300x300 artwork titled "cover.jpg" and 100x100 artwork titled "thumb.jpg" in each album file?

EDIT: Thanks a bunch for your patience with this issue!

kdf
2006-01-19, 13:34
Quoting Kyle <Kyle.21wfbz (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> kdf Wrote:
>> must have the extension. I'm sure that will solve your issue.-kdf
>
> I actually did that for a couple of files before a total rescan, but
> the art still did not show up. I'll try doing some others. Is there
> an easy way to accomplish this, or do I have to change them one-by-one
> by renaming the file? Also, let me make certain I have this perfectly
> clear: I need 300x300 artwork titled "cover.jpg" and 100x100 artwork
> titled "thumb.jpg" in each album file?

a cover.jpg of any size is all you'd need. or folder.jpg, thumb.jpg
album.jpg, etc

The server does some very basic search order changes to get the likely
smaller image for thumbnails, but will happily take whatever it does
find. Recent 6.5 builds resize the image on the fly so that the page
doesn't have to keep oading large images.

-kdf

Kyle
2006-01-19, 21:01
Still no success, but I'm convinced there must be a setting somewhere that is incorrect. SS is looking in the right place for the art. The artwork is there in a jpeg file titled "cover.jpg". But it is not picking it up. I have done several clear and rescans, gone through all my art and renamed every piece to "cover.jpg", even lowercased the "C" for ones that were uppercased. The art is downloaded through Tag&Rename to be stored in the album folder and the tags. There must be one thing that I haven't done, but I can't figure it out. Any help would be appreciated.

Skunk
2006-01-19, 22:26
If you're sure you don't want to give up yet:

Check your renaming convention, ie right click>properties on the jpeg and make sure it's not named cover.jpg.jpeg

Add a folder of FLACs tagged by EAC only, with a manually placed cover.jpg

Pay Robin Bowes $50 to SSH in and fix it for you ;)

Paul Minott
2006-01-20, 06:18
Caught the tail end of this thread - not sure what OS you are using
but I had a similar problem using OS X and itunes. I eventually
turned off itunes and everything came back. I still like using itunes
as I can transfer my playlists but at least now I know the problem is
with itunes. I also upgraded itunes recently and that was probably
the cause. Hope this helps.

On Jan 19, 2006, at 11:01 PM, Kyle wrote:

>
> Still no success, but I'm convinced there must be a setting somewhere
> that is incorrect. SS is looking in the right place for the art. The
> artwork is there in a jpeg file titled "cover.jpg". But it is not
> picking it up. I have done several clear and rescans, gone through
> all
> my art and renamed every piece to "cover.jpg", even lowercased the "C"
> for ones that were uppercased. The art is downloaded through
> Tag&Rename to be stored in the album folder and the tags. There must
> be one thing that I haven't done, but I can't figure it out. Any help
> would be appreciated.
>
>
> --
> Kyle
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> --
> Kyle's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=2541
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=20204
>
>

Kyle
2006-01-20, 06:56
Caught the tail end of this thread - not sure what OS you are using
but I had a similar problem using OS X and itunes.

Windows XP and no itunes.

Skunk
2006-01-20, 07:31
How are your music folders set up? Looks like you have a directory for Derek and the Dominos. Most people have a directory for 'Derek and the Dominos - Jams', with all songs in that directory. I wouldn't make the structure any more complicated than needed.

Visit http://users.pandora.be/satcp/eac-qs-en.htm to make sure you have EAC set up right. Rip an album. It should make a directory including Artist - Title with the settings above. Use google to find an image (any image!) and copy it to that directory. Retest.

Kyle
2006-01-20, 07:52
How are your music folders set up? Looks like you have a directory for Derek and the Dominos. Most people have a directory for 'Derek and the Dominos - Jams', with all songs in that directory. I wouldn't make the structure any more complicated than needed.

I think my directory setup is fine. All my files are stored on an external hard drive in a folder labeled "flac files" with a separate folder for each artist. Within the artist folder is a folder for each album, which is where the song files and cover.jpg files for that particular album are located.

Skunk
2006-01-20, 07:58
I have been using Tag & Rename to capture the image files from Amazon and adding them to the files and the tags. Should I just do one and not the other?

Until you get your problems worked out, yeah. That's why I suggested a fresh rip and manually placed jpg.

KDF already noted that he didn't think it was being found in tags though.

Kyle
2006-01-20, 10:40
Did a totally new rip and acquired art from amazon through tag&rename. Scanned for new music and got this in the log:

2006-01-20 12:29:20.6016 Variable Cover: Michael Bolton-Soul Provider.jpg from ARTIST-ALBUM
2006-01-20 12:29:20.6025 Image File empty or couldn't read: E:\FLAC Files\Michael Bolton\Soul Provider\Michael Bolton-Soul Provider.jpg
2006-01-20 12:29:20.6036 Image File empty or couldn't read: E:\FLAC Files\Album Art\Michael Bolton-Soul Provider.jpg

Image properties say it is a jpeg image with filename of cover.jpg in the folder Michael Bolton\Soul Provider. The image opens fine with the windows Paint program. Why is it not found or read?

EDIT: Also did another rip of a different CD and copied the image manually to my desktop and then manually inserted it into the folder with the tracks. Again did a rescan with same results as above.

Kyle
2006-01-20, 15:31
A couple of things. Here is my software: SlimServer Version: 6.2.1 - 5194 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252

Also, MusicMagic has no trouble finding and reading the art files from the album folders.

Skunk
2006-01-20, 18:16
Did a totally new rip and acquired art from amazon through tag&rename.

Sorry, by manually placed I meant copy a .jpg to the clipboard and paste it in there _manually_. Are you positively tag/rename doesn't tag .jpg to your files? Did you got to ServerSettings>Interface and change something? The new log file looks like you specified "%ARTIST - ALBUM" because it looked here "E:\FLAC Files\Album Art\Michael Bolton-Soul Provider.jpg" and quit.

Honestly I'm completely talking out my ass at this point.

Kyle
2006-01-20, 19:51
Sorry, by manually placed I meant copy a .jpg to the clipboard and paste it in there _manually_.

Yeah, I did it both ways -- through tag & rename and by manually saving the file from Amazon to the desktop and then shifting it into the album folder. I wonder if I need to just delete SS and reload it. I've looked at every setting on every page and can't see anything that would be causing the problem. It's not like I'm running a nightly, but at this point I don't know what else to try. Since MusicMagic sees the files, I don't see how they can be the problem. If you think of anything else, let me know.

Skunk
2006-01-20, 19:57
Since MusicMagic sees the files, I don't see how they can be the problem.

Think outside the box- ie 'since MM see's the files, _it_ MUST be the problem. :)

Skunk
2006-01-20, 20:01
I wonder if I need to just delete SS and reload it.

I'm not trying to be rude, but that's the first thing I try- and I would've probably tried it about five times already in your situation. Only with SS though.

Kyle
2006-01-20, 21:33
I'm not trying to be rude, but that's the first thing I try- and I would've probably tried it about five times already in your situation. Only with SS though.

No luck with that, either.

Skunk
2006-01-20, 22:47
name your cover art 'lookhere.jpg'. SS is too smart for it's own good sometimes...

Skunk
2006-01-20, 23:00
Yeah, I did it both ways -- through tag & rename and by manually saving the file from Amazon to the desktop and then shifting it into the album folder.

Which first? In the same directory? Before or after the reinstall?

OK. I can fix it for you, IF you follow step by step.

Open EAC

Press MP3 to Rip the CD in your drive

When prompted Save to C:\music
(if it won't create the folder automatically create new folder on C: and name it 'music'.)

copy/paste a cover.jpg to the folder with songs

Uninstall Slimserver

On reinstall Specify your music directory as C:\music

It'll work I promise :p

Kyle
2006-01-21, 03:04
It'll work I promise :p

Sadly, no. Same results as before. However, it makes me think that there may be some setting on my computer that is affecting the way .jpg files are handled by SS. I went to control panel>folder options>file types and entered extension JPG as a JPEG file. Thought that might help, but a rescan produced the same results. Any ideas?

Kyle
2006-01-21, 14:25
Thanks, everyone, for your help. Skunk, your suggestion led to a solution. After doing the reinstall, I realized that the problem must be in the way the art files were being handled by Windows. I went back to control panel>folder options>file type and selected jpeg and hit the advanced button. There's a box to check to "always show extension." That was the key. I had manually renamed my files "cover.jpg", and after hitting that box, they became "cover.jpg.jpg." So when I removed the middle .jpg and did a rescan, the artwork showed up. Had to change 130 files, but at least I hadn't already done 'em all. I'll reset the naming option on Tag&Rename, so the files should be good as I download the rest. I hate to think how much time I spent working out this one small problem, but that's computers ...

kdf
2006-01-21, 14:38
Kyle wrote:
> Thanks, everyone, for your help. Skunk, your suggestion led to a
> solution. After doing the reinstall, I realized that the problem must
> be in the way the art files were being handled by Windows. I went back
> to control panel>folder options>file type and selected jpeg and hit the
> advanced button. There's a box to check to "always show extension."
> That was the key. I had manually renamed my files "cover.jpg", and
> after hitting that box, they became "cover.jpg.jpg." So when I removed
> the middle .jpg and did a rescan, the artwork showed up. Had to change
> 130 files, but at least I hadn't already done 'em all. I'll reset the
> naming option on Tag&Rename, so the files should be good as I download
> the rest. I hate to think how much time I spent working out this one
> small problem, but that's computers ...
>
>
>
The value in this is that we've all been reminded of one feature (I shut
it off as one of the first things I do after an instal) that cause
hidden side effects. Next time someone has the problem, this is one
more thing they can check and so you'll save other people time.

Thanks for posting your end solution.
-kdf

Skunk
2006-01-21, 17:21
Now I'm mad.

I suggested that EXACT thing in post 17 and you didn't try it.

It took me over an hour to make the seven posts after that.

You owe me $50 dude! But give it to KDF cause he has more posts (understatement).

Kyle
2006-01-21, 19:35
Check your renaming convention, ie right click>properties on the jpeg and make sure it's not named cover.jpg.jpeg

I did as you suggested at the time, but it wasn't showing that under properties. Believe me, I checked that properties tab numerous times. It was only after I manually added the .jpg and then enabled the extension under the control panel that the dual extensions showed up. Of course, if I knew more about these machines I probably could have figured it out myself a long time ago. I really appreciate all the help from you and kdf and clearly credited your suggestion with leading to a solution. The $50 offer was only for someone to come to my house and not only fix the problem but download the art files for the rest of my collection ;-).

Now, kdf: are you saying that you would go back and uncheck the box to show the .jpg extension? What types of problems could that cause?

kdf
2006-01-21, 19:56
Kyle wrote:
> Now, kdf: are you saying that you would go back and uncheck the box to
> show the .jpg extension? What types of problems could that cause?
>
I cannot stand, nor ever support the idea of hiding the extensions in the windows UI. Keep them shown, you'll be better off for it in more ways than just working with slimserver.

-kdf

Skunk
2006-01-21, 22:34
I cannot stand, nor ever support the idea of hiding the extensions in the windows UI.
-kdf

Good advice. I usually name a text file "index.html" if I want it to be html, not text- whether extensions are shown are not...

edit: meaning in 'save as' i actually use the quotes.

Michaelwagner
2006-01-22, 09:15
I cannot stand, nor ever support the idea of hiding the extensions in the windows UI.
I agree wholeheartedly with kdf on this.
First thing I do on any new windows install is "fix" this misfeature by turning it off.