PDA

View Full Version : Display question

revve
2006-01-18, 03:21
When I turn my SQ3 off, having selected no screensaver in off mode, the display is still powered, meaning that it is still illuminated, although without any text showing.
Is it supposed to be like this?
I mean, when you turn any device off, you want it fully off, e.g. no power to the VFD.

Is there any way to fix this, or implement it in a forthcoming firmware?

Regards, Ricke

max.spicer
2006-01-18, 05:35
This is a known issue. I don't believe there are any acknowledged plans to fix it in the hardware. There was a software fix committed some time ago to make sure that the display brightness is at the lowest level when in off mode. This greatly reduces the glow. I noticed recently that this no longer appeared to be the case. Try pressing brightness when you're in the off state.

Max

When I turn my SQ3 off, having selected no screensaver in off mode, the display is still powered, meaning that it is still illuminated, although without any text showing.
Is it supposed to be like this?
I mean, when you turn any device off, you want it fully off, e.g. no power to the VFD.

Is there any way to fix this, or implement it in a forthcoming firmware?

Regards, Ricke

revve
2006-01-18, 09:06
This is a known issue. I don't believe there are any acknowledged plans to fix it in the hardware. There was a software fix committed some time ago to make sure that the display brightness is at the lowest level when in off mode. This greatly reduces the glow. I noticed recently that this no longer appeared to be the case. Try pressing brightness when you're in the off state.

Max

Why isn't there any plans on fixing this?
I mean, it's a pretty important function.. I don't know how long a VFD display lasts, do you?

Anyway, it'll do with the date/time screensaver for now.

Skunk
2006-01-18, 09:10
I don't know how long a VFD display lasts, do you?

mine lasted 2 weeks... replacement on the way :)

radish
2006-01-18, 11:11
According to Matrix Orbital (who make a lot of PC mounted VFD modules) a VFD is typically rated at around 100,000 hours to half life, in other words it will be half as bright as it originally was after that amount of time. 100k hours is about 11 years, which isn't too bad. The post below doesn't mention the difference caused by brightness levels, but seeing as the dimming is probably caused by the phosphor degrading, I'm sure a blank (but powered) display is basically "off" as far as lifespan is concerned.

http://www.lcdforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3082

Someone from SD mentioned on here a while ago that the VFDs in the original Slimp3 units are still going strong and look fine.