PDA

View Full Version : unable to access webbrowser

housedoc
2006-01-16, 20:25
I just received my squeezebox which can be wired or wireless. I have it hard wired to the internet via a switch. The switch is hard wired to my Netgear rp614 router which is then connected to my computer, tivo, etc.
I have installed the squeezebox software and installed the squeezebox. I have connectivity to the internet and can listen via my stereo to internet streams via the squeezebox. My problem is I am unable to open localhost:9000. I have tried using all of the IPs for my computer and associated devices as well as 127.0.0.1. I have opened numerous ports on the router, both those advised by netgear and slimserver to open.
I keep getting a message that the page cannot be opened. I have hoster on my computer but am unsure what to do with it. Can anyone help?
thankyou.
James G
housedoc

notanatheist
2006-01-16, 20:43
http://localhost:9000 should only work from the computer SS is installed on. My first guess... Norton Internet Security. Otherwise another software firewall. The Windows Firewall usually isn't that much trouble. Just a guess. Give some more details if you can.

housedoc
2006-01-16, 21:01
Thank you for your response. I have avast antivirus and zone alarm firewall. Please let me know if there are specifics I can forward that would be helpful. BTW I am currently using the local host computer (the computer with SS loaded).

Any help is appreciated.

J

Michaelwagner
2006-01-16, 21:13
Turn off zone alarm temporarily and see if that works.
If it does, then you know you need to look into zone alarm more.
If it doesn't, then you have eliminated zone alarm as the cause.

notanatheist
2006-01-16, 21:15
Try disabling ZA for testing. Under normal use I'd make sure 127.0.0.1 is a trusted host. I haven't used a Windows firewall program in a while though. You should also allow all 192.168.*.* for your internal LAN to be sure other clients can connect.

housedoc
2006-01-17, 05:11
Again, thank you for replies. Have tried with zone alarm off and avast antivirus off and still no go. Windows firewall is off as I do not use it with ZA on.

housedoc
2006-01-17, 05:45
Just wanted to mention that I restarted my computer and was able to open localhost:9000. The problem is the squeezebox is still not seen. I tried with ZA on and off. At this point, I have Squeezebox with internet access and computer with localhost:9000page open but no recognition of the player. I have numerous ports open on netgear rp614 router including those recommended by slimserver and by netgear when using media centers.
thanks.

Skunk
2006-01-17, 06:02
Uninstalling-reinstalling slimserver may help, or may not help in your case, and may take awhile if you just scanned 1,000 albums...

Michaelwagner
2006-01-17, 06:37
Did you follow the instructions in:
http://www.slimdevices.com/su_faq.html#networking-firewall
?

Mark Lanctot
2006-01-17, 07:29
I had an RP614 - it's a wired router so that
really simplifies things. It was also quite
simple - no MAC address list, for example.

Unless you're planning on streaming music out over
the Internet, you don't need to port-forward.
That's for external access, the Squeezebox is
internal.

Are you using DHCP or static IP for LAN? Check
your router status pages. Since you can access
SqueezeNetwork it sounds like everything is wired
correctly. The problem is likely still in your PC.

With ZA, even if you disable it, it is still
active until you reboot your PC. The fact that
you were able to see one of the ports on reboot
seems to point to it being the problem. Try
power-cycling the Squeezebox with the PC in this
state and see if you can access it.

The best way to configure ZA for SlimServer is to
put your DHCP range in as a "trusted" zone, then
allow SlimServer both Internet access and act as a
server. In the applications list, right-click
SlimServer and select "allow" for both Internet
access and act as a server.

Do you know the IP address of your Squeezebox? Do
you know the IP address of SlimServer? Make sure
they are in the same subnet (i.e. 192.168.1.xxx or
192.168.2.xxx) and make sure they aren't the same.

I seem to recall the RP614 was able to block
certain IP addresses. Make sure SlimServer or the
Squeezebox isn't on one of those pages. Perhaps
there was a child's computer on there at one time
and perhaps SlimServer/Squeezebox has taken that
address due to the changes you made to the network
to accommodate the Squeezebox?

housedoc wrote:
> Just wanted to mention that I restarted my computer
and was able to open
> localhost:9000. The problem is the squeezebox is
still not seen. I tried
> with ZA on and off. At this point, I have
Squeezebox with internet
> access and computer with localhost:9000page open but
no recognition of
> the player. I have numerous ports open on netgear
rp614 router
> including those recommended by slimserver and by
netgear when using
> media centers.
> thanks.
>
>

--

Mark Lanctot

housedoc
2006-01-17, 11:37
thank you all for your help. At this point, I do have the local host page but the squeezebox is still not seen. What is interesting is that when I power on the squeezebox one of the connection options is my computer LoV5 etc. In other words my main computer is being seen somehow so it is a connection option but it just can't make the connection. I will work through the suggestions made and try to troubleshoot. I will keep you posted. thanks again.

James

housedoc
2006-01-17, 15:56
Hi:

I uninstalled and reinstalled slimserver and rebooted modem, router, squeezebox and opened port 9090. Everything is now recognizing everything else. This is good. My only question. My music is in folders on drive J. J is listed as music folder but no music is ending up on scanned list. Can someone tell me how to write the path to music? ?my computer, J, etc.

James

Skunk
2006-01-17, 16:51
J:\music (?)

housedoc
2006-01-17, 18:00
I set up a new folder in J as J:\music and put all of my music files from J into this folder. It worked and I am able to listen to music on Squeezebox. Thank you to all.

One last question. I have a lot of music on my computer with multiple drives (J, D, I, F). It all won't fit on J. Anyway to have multiple directories? Thank you of everybody who took the time to help me.

James

Skunk
2006-01-17, 18:23
This thread may help, as it depends on your OS:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=19686&highlight=drives

housedoc
2006-01-17, 19:14
skunk:

thanks for the reply. I do have windows xp and reviewed the link but I am unsure how this works as far as setting up the shortcuts between directories. Do you have any more info or could you point me in the right direction? thanks

james

Skunk
2006-01-17, 20:09
open 'my computer' and navigate to your F: drive. open another instance of 'my computer', right click and drag your G:\ icon into the music directory of your F:\ drive. i have no idea how a pathname would work at that point, but this is what i've seen suggested before. hth :)

edit: sorry, i guess i should have said 'right click, drag, release on F:\music, AND CHOOSE CREATE SHORTCUT HERE. I'm not positive this even works ;)

housedoc
2006-01-18, 07:03
skunk:

Tried the shortcut method and it does work. I was able to rescan my "music" folder in drive J and it found the shortcut for drive D and added all the folders of music. Thanks for the advice. I think I am basically set up at this point and I want to thank everyone in this community who took the time to look at my thread and respond.

James