PDA

View Full Version : Original Squeezebox vs. SB3?

Kyle
2006-01-16, 15:29
I love my SB3 at home and was thinking about getting one for my beach house. A few original Squeezeboxes are now offered on Ebay. My stereo is close enough to my AP to go wired or wireless. My music files are all flac. Would I be giving up anything that I love about the SB3 with an original Squeezebox? I mainly just play my music files.

kdf
2006-01-16, 15:35
Quoting Kyle <Kyle.21r0vz (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> I love my SB3 at home and was thinking about getting one for my beach
> house. A few original Squeezeboxes are now offered on Ebay. My stereo
> is close enough to my AP to go wired or wireless. My music files are
> all flac. Would I be giving up anything that I love about the SB3 with
> an original Squeezebox? I mainly just play my music files.

flac is not native on teh original SB, so it would be transcoded to
WAV. If you run wired, that shouldn't be a problem.

The DAC is not as good on the SB, so if you use analog outputs, you may
find that the sound isn't as nice as the SB3 if your ears are sensitive.

original SB cannot connect to SqueezeNetwork, and may only have the
character display rather than the graphics display (grphics upgrade at
lower res then SB3 came out as the SBG)

see more details here:
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?HardwareComparison

-kdf

mkozlows
2006-01-16, 19:59
I love my SB3 at home and was thinking about getting one for my beach house. A few original Squeezeboxes are now offered on Ebay. My stereo is close enough to my AP to go wired or wireless. My music files are all flac. Would I be giving up anything that I love about the SB3 with an original Squeezebox? I mainly just play my music files.

If it's a Squeezebox G, you're basically giving up some aesthetics (both the case and the display are somewhat less attractive) and some sound quality. If it's a Squeezebox with the character display, you're giving up some sound quality and a LOT of aesthetics. I'd buy a Squeezebox G for a second system, but a non-G Squeezebox is just too ugly to go back to.

JJZolx
2006-01-16, 21:51
The sound quality isn't as good, but how important this is will depend on the quality of the rest of the system and on how critically you plan on listening.

No native Flac decoding.

No SqueezeNetwork.

The wireless SB1 only does 802.11b with WEP instead of 802.11g and WPA-PSK. Slower, less secure.

But the single biggest handicap is the much smaller buffer of the SB1, making it a lot more prone to dropouts, particularly on a wireless connection. If you can use one with wired Ethernet, and the PC acting as a server doesn't get bogged down, then you probably won't notice many dropouts.