PDA

View Full Version : Slimserver will not find audio files within a subdirectory of a mapped drive

g_ghirardi
2006-01-16, 08:20
Hello,

Thanks to older posts and newer replies it seems I am solving out most of the problems affecting my squeezebox and my slimserver.

One last problem, however, is still there to puzzle me. I am using a Netgear SC101 with a Maxtor 300 giga hard drive in it. This is connected to a Netgear router directly and works fine with all my software. If a indicate a directory in the Maxtor drive as my music folder, the slimerver will accept the link (therefore showing that it does indeed recognise the drive) but will not find any audio files behind the folder. No problems, on the contrary, for the files residing in the root directory of the drive. If I use browse music folder, the slimserver will nevertheless locate the files, and once "play" is pressed, they will also be available to browse using the search artist/album/year masks, etc. As I am keeping a huge amount of flac files, I am quite frustrated by this problem, as this does not allow me to rely on the *clear playlists and rescan* command to update the slimserver.

In previous posts, I found someone suggesting to wipe the cache each time before rescanning, but I cannot find a command like that in the 6.2.2. version of the slimserver. Any help will indeed be mostly appreciated!

Thanks

Giovanni

ceejay
2006-01-16, 13:45
In previous posts, I found someone suggesting to wipe the cache each time before rescanning, but I cannot find a command like that in the 6.2.2. version of the slimserver. Any help will indeed be mostly appreciated!

Server Settings - Rescan Music Library - select "Clear library and rescan everything"

Ceejay

g_ghirardi
2006-01-25, 08:31
I tried this solution repeatedly, but it will not work. The only way is to use the "browse music folder" option in the menu (which is ugly), and once a track is played it will be recognised also by using the search artis/album option. Otherwise, any attempt to have the slimserver scan all the files will be useless, if the files are contained into subdirectories. Should I open a bug or has anyone a solution?

Thanks!

Giovanni

kdf
2006-01-25, 10:27
Quoting g_ghirardi <g_ghirardi.2275ob (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> I tried this solution repeatedly, but it will not work. The only way is
> to use the "browse music folder" option in the menu (which is ugly),
> and once a track is played it will be recognised also by using the
> search artis/album option. Otherwise, any attempt to have the
> slimserver scan all the files will be useless, if the files are
> contained into subdirectories. Should I open a bug or has anyone a
> solution?

please contact support (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com first, as this is clearly not a
widespread issue and may be solvable by support.

-kdf

jiantmc
2006-01-25, 17:59
I am having the same problem as Giovanni. I am unable to find files using the search tool in slimserver despite clearing and rescanning. After a file is played, it then shows up in subsequent searches.

jiantmc
2006-01-25, 18:14
I went into the Browse Music Folder, then I clicked on the Play arrow next to my (huge) directory entitled FLAC. A huge playlist was then generated. Afterwards, I could find files that had been omitted in earlier searches. Giovanni, I hope this works also for you.

ideasculptor
2006-02-05, 07:07
The same goes for me, in OS X. My Music folder is on a NAS, and contains 2 subfolders, FLAC and lossy, for the things I haven't yet ripped to FLAC. No amount of pushing the rescan button does anything, no matter what setting the drop down is on. Actually, I take that back. Clear and rescan does clear, but doesn't rescan. Merely adding each folder to a playlist causes the contents to be imported (although I am not yet sure whether the artwork is also geting added, since the scan is still ongoing). What's particularly odd is that all of us had no issues with the initial scan (I asume. I sure didn't), but we all have this strange failure when rescanning. It is very annoying as adding a single new album or artwork involves blowing away the entire library and rescanning.

--sam

ideasculptor
2006-02-05, 07:08
Incidentally, my drive is mounted via NFS. The SMB implementation in my Infrant ReadyNAS seems to have issues with unicode characters and all directory names containing them result in unnavigable directories, so I mount my music directory over NFS.

ideasculptor
2006-02-05, 07:48
I don't know if windows has the equivalent of a symlink (symbolic link), but I made a symlink in my root drive which points to the Music directory on my externally hosted drive, and now rescan actually seems to function, which is just as well, since browsing the music folder and adding the entire thing to a playlist did not add album artwork.

--sam

ronjon
2006-02-25, 00:34
I'm using an external sata drive attached using a USB as my media storage and I'm having the exact same problem. The (WinXP) disk manager says this is a 'dynamic' drive.

The first scan appeared to work correctly, then I added more music and it wouldn't find them on a scan for new music. I tried clear and rescan everything and lost everything, no amount of rescanning helped. I tried the 'Play All' option and it re-added everything minus the album art (no biggie to me). Clearly this is either a bug or external hard drives just aren't supported.

The workaround is a-ok with me, but if anyone else has found a solution, please add it to this thread.

Thanks!

ronjon
2006-02-25, 00:50
Found another workaround. Close Slimserver, remove or rename the slimserversql.db file and reopen slimserver. It'll do a full rescan including the album art.