PDA

View Full Version : Display Chinese characters on SB3

Belgo
2006-01-14, 04:56
Hi, I am a new user of SB3 wireless. I have downloaded the true font type as suggested from the 'Getting Started' web page for Japanese and Chinese characters (as I got some Japanese and Chinese songs collection). However, the sb3 and slimserver couldn't display any of these characters.

My OS is Windows XP and the Slimserver version is 6.2.2.

I would be very grateful if someone can point me to the right direction.

Thanks.

Belgo
2006-01-17, 17:35
Hi there,

Can anyone help please? I am using iTunes btw.

Many thanks.

elbonian
2006-02-01, 07:16
Hi there,
Just want to check if you managed to get it working? I have been following the other thread but still no luck getting it to work :(
Appreciate your advice.

Belgo
2006-02-01, 08:39
Hello there,

I have been trying to sort this out for nearly a month. Tried everything suggested here in the Forum but failed.

Not sure if this is a concern for a minority group. It seems to me that no one is responding to my question so far except you!

Very frustrated and disappointing that my SBC couldn't display any Chinese characters.

Siduhe
2006-02-01, 08:54
Have you seen this other thread ?

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=15609

That poster found that the problem was being caused by trying to sync with the Itunes library, because of the way that Itunes supports Unicode. Are you sure that the tags you have on the files you are trying to play have Unicode data written into them ? How are you tagging your files ?

All slimserver does is display the information from your tags. The tags don't have Unicode data written into them, the Unicode font you have installed won't work.

If you can't follow these instructions please let people know where the specific problem is.

Belgo
2006-02-01, 10:55
Hi Siduhe,

Thanks. I've seen that thread. In fact, I have posted a question as well. Still couldn't solve the problem that I have.

Can you please tell me how to find out if the tags of my songs got any unicode? I use iTunes to rip my songs from the CDs.

Thanks.

Siduhe
2006-02-01, 16:04
Try this:

Download Tag&Rename. You get a 30 day free trial. It can look at bit complicated, but don't worry - it's pretty straightforward. In the left hand window select a folder that has some of the files you're having problems with.

Go to options, Language, select Chinese
Go to options, Options, select Tabs and tick the box that says "write unicode data into tags".
Amend a couple of the entries that don't display properly, select the files and click "save tags".

Close Tag&Rename. Do a full rescan of your library in Slimserver.

Do the characters display properly ?

Belgo
2006-02-01, 17:16
Hi,

Thanks for the info. I followed all your instruction but the SB3 still doesn't display any Chinese characters.

I don't really know what to do next...

kbelinski
2006-02-01, 17:56
I have been using the Unicode feature for displaying Chinese chars for quite some time now. It works. But the way I use this feature may be a little different from most.

My music collection comprises mostly flac images with associated cue sheets. I do not play mp3. The cue sheets containing the track info are in Chinese characters saved using Windows notepad in UTF-8 format. See sample below.

With required font file installed, I have no problem displaying Chinese characters on SB2 and Web UI. I do not know how the ID3 tag of MP3 would behave because I do not have them. I do have a small collection of loose flac tracks tagged with flac tag, I do not have problem displaying them either.

Caveat: The "Browse Music Folder" option in the Web UI does not display Unicode feature correctly even at the latest nightly. I rarely ever click "Browse Music Folder" so that does not bother me that much.

=== sample cue sheet ===

PERFORMER "阿桑"
TITLE "受了点伤"
FILE "CDImage.flac" WAVE
TRACK 01 AUDIO
TITLE "叶子(秋天版)"
PERFORMER "阿桑"
INDEX 01 00:00:00
TRACK 02 AUDIO
TITLE "让我爱"
PERFORMER "阿桑"
INDEX 01 05:07:63

=== sample cue sheet ===

OperaBen
2006-03-05, 04:45
Hi,

Can someone tell me the web page that I can download fonts to display Chineses characters on SB3 player? Thanks.

mherger
2006-03-05, 05:04
> Can someone tell me the web page that I can download fonts to display
> Chineses characters on SB3 player? Thanks.

A simple search for "unicode font" found the following:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=15573

The code2000 font mentioned in that thread is now included with slimserver
(in the Graphics folder).

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

OperaBen
2006-03-08, 08:27
Thanks, it works now. But funny that right after it was installed, there was still no Chinese characters shown. After sometime (don't know exactly) and all of a sudden the characters appeared. I don't know what I did not do what I did do....

> Can someone tell me the web page that I can download fonts to display
> Chineses characters on SB3 player? Thanks.

A simple search for "unicode font" found the following:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=15573

The code2000 font mentioned in that thread is now included with slimserver
(in the Graphics folder).

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)