PDA

View Full Version : Help! Connection Issues!

Jetlag
2006-01-13, 12:28
I own an Infrant X6 that has been running Slimserver since I got it back in December. It has worked flawlessly with my SB2 until today.

I opened up Slimserver on the X6 and cleared the PLAY list, then entered all of the songs from a new CD that I have not yet had a chance to listen to (ripped from CD using EAC~secure > FLAC).

I clicked on play and the first song began. It played for about 5-8 seconds then I heard a FFFFT! through my speakers, then nothing. I clicked STOP then PLAY, but nothing changed.

When I went to check out the SB2, I was greeted with this screen (see photo):

I picked up the remote and pressed the POWER button, the screen cleared up and was displaying time and date. When I pressed the POWER button a second time, it took me to the SB2 setup screen for networking. All of the networking info was gone from the SB2. I punched in all of the numbers (IP, DNS, Gateway, Slimserver address), but it will not connect to Slimserver and when I open Slimserver from the X6, I get the "Your player was not found".

My setup is as follows:

Infrant X6 > Dell Powerconnect 2716 Giga-switch > SB2. My Linksys broadband router is connected to the 2716 as well. This is the setup that has been functioning properly for a couple of weeks. All of these devices are plugged into the same APC UPS, so I do not believe it was a surge.

I pulled the power plug from the SB2, waited 15 seconds, then reinserted it. The normal flash screen appeared.. I pulled up the "current settings" screen on the SB2 display and here they are:
SB2 IP 192.168.1.97 (static)
subnet 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1 (Linksys router)
DNS 207.XX.XX.186 (numbers omittted for security)
X6 192.168.1.54 (X6 running slimserver)
MAC FF.FF.Fe.FF.FF.FF (sticker on SB2 doesn't agree)
firmware 28
connect via ethernet

It then shows "Searching for Slimservers", then displays the IP address of the X6. When I press the right arrow to connect, there is a pause then "can't connect to slimserver..."

The MAC address does not look correct.

What happened and how do I fix it?

Thanks!

Michaelwagner
2006-01-13, 13:31
The MAC address does not look correct.
It isn't.

What happened and how do I fix it?
There used to be a bug where the MAC address would occasionally change on it's own. I thought the bug had been squashed, tho ...

Guess I remembered wrong. There's an outstanding, fairly new bug report for this:
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2816
You might go there and add your information. It might help them track down the bug.

In the mean time, the MAC address being wrong will matter in 2 ways:

if you have mac address filtering turned on in your router, that will keep you off the network.

regardless of the above, Slim won't associate this new mac address with any player settings you had before.

It is possible to reset the mac address ... but I can't find the place where I saw it ... and you can search the forum for MAC address because MAC is only 3 letters ... anyone remember?

snarlydwarf
2006-01-13, 13:54
It is possible to reset the mac address ... but I can't find the place where I saw it ... and you can search the forum for MAC address because MAC is only 3 letters ... anyone remember?

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=19385