PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox freezes with phone?

azumandus
2006-01-12, 20:43
Hello everyone hoping you all can help me. I just received my new Squeezebox 2 plantinum (wireless). After tweaking my router for about an hour I finally got it connected and working. You can imagine how happy I was. Anyways I was listening and tweaking when I get a phone call and one I pick it up the squeezebox freeze and looses connection.

Let me explain my computer is the host computer and is the main one in the house that is connected to the internet. I use Vonage as my telephone provider and have another laptop connected via this one (networked). My main phone is connected into this router is how we receive and make call.

Everytime I receive or make a call while I am listening to my system it the it freaks out and just freezes (all music and the squeezebox) I need to disconnect the squeezebox from the wall and then plug it back in so it can connect again. But not before I hang up the phone.

Before purchasing I called slimdevices and asked is there would be any conflict with using the SB2 wireless with my vonage service and the other computer connected.

Is this fixable or do I need to return?

chaz
2006-01-12, 20:49
Is your phone a cordless? If so, that sounds like it could be the problem. Wireless routers broadcast in the same frequency as some cordless phone models....2.4 Ghz I think (could be wrong though). A conflict would cause one of the connections to fail.

azumandus
2006-01-12, 20:55
Yes it's a cordless a 2.4. We use one of those cordless phones which you can add other phones to. Only way to have phone in the entire house with vonage. Any solution you think?

p.s. it seems that sometimes it doesn't crashes just looses connection and once I get off the phone it reconnects.

seanadams
2006-01-12, 20:56
Never heard of this - which make/model is the phone?

superbad
2006-01-12, 21:00
Get a 5.8Ghz cordless phone system. We have the Uniden PowerMax, it works great. The problem with wifi is everything broadcasts in the 2.4Ghz range: the neighbors' wifi, cordless phones, bluetooth, wireless mice, even your microwave.

Is the Squeezebox freaking out on internet radio, or your own music? The other possibility is that the Vonage connection is using up enough of your bandwidth that there isn't left over for the internet radio stream to get through (the router will always give priority to the voice traffic). That's pretty unlikely though.

seanadams
2006-01-12, 21:04
I second the Uniden recommendation - they are fantastic. Crystal clear sound, with nice buttons/UI/ergonomics/aesthetics.

Still would like to know why your phones are freaking out he SB though. A good test would be to see if they interrupt downloads to a laptop - it may be the access point that's flaky.

stinkingpig
2006-01-12, 21:20
>
> Never heard of this - which make/model is the phone?
>
>

My wife's Uniden Tru3485 sometimes knocks my wireless router offline too.
I don't care since I only use wired for important traffic like
Squeezeboxes, but it's not unprecedented. The phone is a spread-spectrum
model and it will eventually land on the channel your WAP uses.
--
Jack Coates At Monkeynoodle Dot Org: It's A Scientific Venture!
"I spent all me tin with the ladies drinking gin, so across the Western
ocean I must wander" - traditional

stinkingpig
2006-01-12, 21:21
> Is the Squeezebox freaking out on internet radio, or your own music?
> The other possibility is that the Vonage connection is using up enough
> of your bandwidth that there isn't left over for the internet radio
> stream to get through (the router will always give priority to the
> voice traffic). That's pretty unlikely though.
>

Vonage is pretty lightweight, I doubt it's the problem.

--
Jack Coates At Monkeynoodle Dot Org: It's A Scientific Venture!
"I spent all me tin with the ladies drinking gin, so across the Western
ocean I must wander" - traditional

radish
2006-01-12, 21:22
2.4GHz phones are a common cause of wifi problems, ditch it. I have a 5.8 and it works just fine (using it with Vonage too, not that that matters!).

JJZolx
2006-01-12, 21:28
Everytime I receive or make a call while I am listening to my system it the it freaks out and just freezes (all music and the squeezebox) I need to disconnect the squeezebox from the wall and then plug it back in so it can connect again. But not before I hang up the phone.
Is it the Squeezebox or SlimServer that crashes? You should be able to easily tell. If it's the Squeezebox, then you'll still be able to access the web interface of SlimServer even though the device has frozen.

Definitely sounds like wireless interference. The first thing to try would be changing the channel on your wireless router. It's probably either using channel 6 (of channels 1 to 11) or else some kind of auto selection. Try fixing it at either 1 or 11. Your wireless devices should automatically pick up the change so the adjustment only has to be done at the router.

Seems, though, that maybe the SB wireless should be a bit more robust than it appears to be. Probably can't do anything about the interference and the interruptions they cause, but it should recover every time.

azumandus
2006-01-13, 08:04
Wow thanks for the quick reply's.

I own and use a radioshack 2.4 ghz phone that you can attach multiple phones to (not my fault wife). As for shutting down problem, I fooled around some more and I seem to know when it happens. If I leave it alone and don't try to anything (i.e browse etc) it will just reconnect when I hang up. Now if I try to do any browsing, lowering volume, stopping a song etc it will just freeze.

I will try and buy a new cordless at a different frequency to try and fix it. Question though how do you change the channel of the router?

Also on a side note I had alot of trouble connecting into the slimserver and the network. I set the ports on my fire wall (tcp,upd= 3483 and tcp=9000) that didn't work. I had to fool around with the settings in my router to allow incoming and outgoing access to these ports and only these ports. Did I leave myself wide open for some hacker?

Mark Lanctot
2006-01-13, 09:36
You can change channels on your router through its
administration page, usually 192.168.1.1 or
192.168.2.1 typed into your browser URL box.

You don't need to make any changes to your
wireless devices when you change channels.

Changing wireless channels on your router may help
a bit, but 2.4 GHz cordless phones have been known
to cause problems with wireless networks and there
are no ready solutions.

azumandus wrote:

> I will try and buy a new cordless at a different
frequency to try and
> fix it. Question though how do you change the
channel of the router?
>

--

Mark Lanctot

Daryle Tilroe
2006-01-13, 23:16
Never heard of this - which make/model is the phone?

Really??!! This is a problem that was quite severe back in the SB1 days while streaming uncompressed PCM. It has improved a lot with the SB2/3 and the native FLAC, deeper buffer, and 802.11g capability but still I don't find it surprising that this is an issue. All my "mission critical" SBs are wired. 2.4 GHz is going to get worse before it gets better. I had a couple of posts back in this thread:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=17117

where I did some tests and 2.4 GHz interference is still very real. Of course if you are close to your access point, have 802.11g, and only play MP3s then, chances are, you will never experience problems.

After typing this I realize that Sean is probably more refering to the SB getting in a funny state rather than simply the dropouts. I have certainly noticed that lengthly communication intrruptions coupled with input to the SB can lead to things getting confused. Now since I don't really have any significant dropouts anymore I don't know if more recent SBs and server software has improved performance under these condtions.