PDA

View Full Version : Wake Up On LAN

Steve
2006-01-12, 16:10
I am unable to use the SLIMSERVER remote to switch ON the PC from a hibernation Mode.
I am able to switch ON the PC from a hibernation Mode using a second PC on the network. This would suggest that the PC and network are OK.

The network configuration between Slimserver & PC is as follows
"Slimserver" wireless to "router" wireles to "Access Point" wired to "PC"

Is someone able to help. Am I missing something? I can find nothing to set up in the Slimserver or its software in respct of this? The device otherwise works like a dream.

F.Y.I the software version is

"SlimServer Version: 6.2.1 - 5194 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252"

dean
2006-01-12, 19:16
Wake-on-LAN requires a Squeezebox2 or v3 and you need to press the
POWER or right-arrow buttons to send a wake-on-lan magic packet.

Steve
2006-01-13, 00:23
I do not know what version of squeezebox I have but it is the most uptodate and the owners guide says 6that it has WOL.

If your instructions are all that is required then somewthing is wrong. Is there some test I can perfom to confirm that the device is sending the "magicpacket" and to where? I guess that the IP address for the music source and to where the "magic packet" is being sent are the same. Is this correct?

kdf
2006-01-13, 00:45
On 12-Jan-06, at 11:23 PM, Steve wrote:

>
> I do not know what version of squeezebox I have but it is the most
> uptodate and the owners guide says 6that it has WOL.
>
> If your instructions are all that is required then somewthing is wrong.
> Is there some test I can perfom to confirm that the device is sending
> the "magicpacket" and to where? I guess that the IP address for the
> music source and to where the "magic packet" is being sent are the
> same. Is this correct?
>
I'm not sure magicpacket is sent over wireless. Even if it is, I've
read that many wireless routers will not pass in onward due to various
claims of security issues.

-kdf

Steve
2006-01-13, 01:34
I have managed to turn on the target PC from a second PC over the same route. Thus the Router and Access Point would appear not to be the problem.

I have used a "MagiPacket Sniffer" 3rd party gizmo to detect the presence of a Magicpacket". This failed to detect the MagicPacket. I am not sure that the gizmo or Slimserver was working.

Your reply does provide a diagnostic route. When I get home from work I will connect the Slimserver to the network with a wire rather than wireless.

Regards

Its after work. I am able to sent the "magicpacket" from one PC over the network to the target PC. I know that the target PC received the "magicpacket" by use of the "MagiPacket Sniffer" (3rd party gizmo to detect the presence of a Magicpacket"). I am unable to detect the Slimserver sending a "Magicpacket" when connected to the network by wireless or wired.

Does the firmware need updating?
Is the a sure way of detecting when the Slimserver sends the "Magicpacket"?

Regards

Steve
2006-01-13, 16:07
The problem is sorted. There was (I think) a problem with the set up of the "Access Point" MAC address. The problem was fixed when I set the MAC address of the "Access Point" to be the same as the target PC. If someone can explain if and why this makes sense I would be obliged.

Regards

boberonicus
2006-01-16, 14:15
Hi,

I don't know why your wake-up LAN wasn't working, or why it is now.

But if the target PC and the wireless router have the same MAC address, you're probably going to have other problems. They may not have cropped up yet. But the MAC address represents a unique identifier for the various devices on your Ethernet. Imagine what will happen when a packet destined for one device is accepted by the wrong device.

"If it ain't broke don't fix it", but the next time you have trouble getting to the Internet from a different machine, or doing peer to peer work between the target machine and another one, you'll know why.

Robert