PDA

View Full Version : Wife needs tunes in the kitchen

Sleprock
2006-01-12, 15:38
I'm thinking of getting this device to pull from the music libraries I have on my PC's. What I'm looking for is a small quality sound appliance (stereo system) that will fit well in the kitchen. It must be small and maybe fit under a cabinet that has amplified speakers and let the Squeezebox drive the music/internet radio.

Please offer any suggestions...

JJZolx
2006-01-12, 15:57
I'm thinking of getting this device to pull from the music libraries I have on my PC's. What I'm looking for is a small quality sound appliance (stereo system) that will fit well in the kitchen. It must be small and maybe fit under a cabinet that has amplified speakers and let the Squeezebox drive the music/internet radio.

Sounds like a plan, but I'd really, really, hate having to use the remote when I'm standing two feet from the device. Someday if SlimDevices ever puts useful controls on a Squeezebox I'd recommend it for such an installation. Until then, there's probably a better solution. How about getting her an iPod and one of those docking stations with amp and speakers? I've heard some really nice sounds coming from a few. A 30GB iPod can be had for the same cost of a wireless SB3 and she'd have it for other uses away from the kitchen.

http://www.apple.com/ipod/ipod.html

http://www.alteclansing.com/product_cat_portable.asp?region=northam

ceejay
2006-01-13, 01:17

Well, I'm going to disagree with Jim... I had exactly this requirement, and put in an SB connected to an existing cheapo philips CD player/radio combo. No problem with using the remote control. In fact I prefer it this way - it means that you can skip/change etc without walking away from the cooker/sink/whatever! (the remote just goes in my shirt pocket!)

This setup is by far the most flexible, IMHO: we get internet radio (LastFM is very popular, high WAF) as well as conventional radio and, very occasionally, a CD which for some reason hasn't been ripped.

An ipod or other mobile device will, in practice, always be "somewhere else" when you want to listen to something, in the same way that the CDs were always in the wrong room, before we ripped them...)

The only technical requirement is that the device has an audio line in, which I guess most do these days.

Ceejay

sleepysurf
2006-01-13, 06:19
Two suggestions...

1) Buy some decent powered speakers (computer, or audio grade), and feed them via the headphone out of the SB. You can sit them on top of kitchen cabinets, along with the SB. I did that in my "Game Room", minimal cost, and it works great.

2) Another option is to use a small "mountable" amp, like the one Russound offers, which has screw holes for vertical or horizontal mounting. Feed to free-standing, or in-wall/in-ceiling speakers in the kitchen. (That's what I did in my Bedroom SB setup, using Proficient Audio in-ceiling speakers).

Sleprock
2006-01-13, 09:49
Two suggestions...

1) Buy some decent powered speakers (computer, or audio grade), and feed them via the headphone out of the SB. You can sit them on top of kitchen cabinets, along with the SB. I did that in my "Game Room", minimal cost, and it works great.

2) Another option is to use a small "mountable" amp, like the one Russound offers, which has screw holes for vertical or horizontal mounting. Feed to free-standing, or in-wall/in-ceiling speakers in the kitchen. (That's what I did in my Bedroom SB setup, using Proficient Audio in-ceiling speakers).

I like both your suggestions. But simple is the key so what about these speakers. http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIEW_PRODUCT_PAGE_EVENT&product=companion2_multimedia_inthebox&linksource=productnav_txt_inthebox

klausbgva
2006-01-13, 13:07
Hi my wife has the slimbox sitting on top to the firdge with powered speakers from labtech. With the noise of the kitchen there is no need for high-qualiy. They are about 10$ in Europe.

The remote is close to where my wife is working and works great.

The only issue with the speakers is that you have to power on the speakers and the slimbox.

Would love to get descent prices automatic power-on speakers, but that seems to be a rare things to find.

My wife also got a slimbox with creative speakers in the bathroom went with the speakers because they where the only white speakers in stock (WAF). It is synchronized with the light of the bath. Swith the light on and about 10 seconds later it starts playing awesom.

jtuggey
2006-01-15, 08:33
Sleprock,
Hi. I've two pairs of Bose companion 2 speakers; on in the lounge, the other bedroom. Whilst they may not reach the audophile category, they give out a good quality sound, in my opinion. Contrary to some reports, I find the base absolutely fine. They are neat, compact and augment the styling of the SB2/3 very well.
Let us knoww what you decide to use...

Cams
2006-01-19, 00:16
I'm awaiting delivery of my first SB3. I ordered the Klipsch Promedia 2.0 speakers with it as I plan to get a second SB3 for the kitchen and those speakers have received good reviews and are only 100 euros.

I bought a pair of JBL Duet speakers to plug into the onboard sound on the Dell at work and they're really good (listening to Pink Floyd on them as I write).

I did previously do the iPod thing in the kitchen but it was a pain as the iPod moves around with me to the car and it was never handy when I wanted it. The SB3 with powered speakers seems like a better all-round and permanent kitchen solution to me. I hope it turns out to be so, but I'm sure it will.

Cams