PDA

View Full Version : Problem with scandinavian letters

nicky6
2006-01-12, 13:53
Hi,

my SlimServer/SB3 doesn't show Scandinavian characters (umlauts: ) correctly. Anyone know how I can track that down?

I found this, http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=16823 but I'm not sure how this could help me.

I'm running Slimserver 6.2.1 on a P4 3.0 GHz w. Win XP SP2 installed, localisation: Swedish, keyboard: Swedish.

BR
/Niclas

nicky6
2006-01-23, 13:29
Noone that can help me out with this one? I might not be the first one to post this, but I can't seem to find anything about it.

I've copied the unicode fonts referred to in the SS documentation (http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?UnicodeFonts) to the right directory, but that didn't help. I installed the nightly 6.2.2 (2006-01-23) and that didn't work either.

What happens is that if I enter a character with an umlaut, a totally different character will show up when the edited playlist, song title or whetever, has been saved. Entering "" for a playlist results in "åäö…„" in the Slimserver UI, as well as the SB3.

So, can anyone help out?

radish
2006-01-23, 14:46
You shouldn't need to mess around with fonts, I have a stock 6.2.1 install and it displays simple european accents like umlauts just fine. What file format are you using? What tagger? My guess is it's getting mangled long before it reaches slimserver.

Michaelwagner
2006-01-23, 17:53
Hi Radish:

My experience (backed up by Michael from Switzerland) was that accents in tags work, but if you enter a song with accents into, for instance, the browser search box, it doesn't work.

Michaelwagner
2006-01-23, 18:03
I enter this:
(see first attachment)
and after I click search, I get this:
(see second attachment)

radish
2006-01-23, 19:52
You're right - I get the same problem with search (but _only_ search). As I have no way of typing accented characters on this keyboard it wasn't a problem I'd noticed before :)

I can however browse (via web and SB display) artists, tracks and albums with all kinds of characters (examples below) and they all work and display just fine. Also, in most cases the file names contain the exact same accents.

Sigur Rs
Ryksopp
Sbastien Tellier
DJ Tisto
Aganj
Me Blnasir
Sglpur

Again, this is with a stock 6.2.1 install, no fancy fonts, on XP (US locale).

Michaelwagner
2006-01-23, 20:07
As I have no way of typing accented characters on this keyboard it wasn't a problem I'd noticed before :)
There's always the character map applet.

Michaelwagner
2006-01-23, 20:15
mostly vowels
ćĉč
Just cut and paste from here

radish
2006-01-23, 22:16
There's always the character map applet.

Well sure, what I meant was it wasn't something I'd ever stumble upon in regular use, as I don't typically have character map open when I'm looking to play some music :)

Anyway, as I mentioned I can confirm the bug with the search screen, pretty much any "interesting" character breaks it (looks like a straightforward unicode interpretation problem) but regular browsing & playing work fine here. I was under impression the OP couldn't even browse for tracks, hence why I mentioned I could.

nicky6
2006-01-23, 22:34
Michael/Radish, my problem is just that of Michael's, except it's not just limited to the search box - it's for any input field in Slimserver. As I wrote, it appears like this when editing a playlist in the slimserver ui, so it's not something related to tag's/tageditor/ripping sw because umlauts in my tags work just fine.

Michaelwagner
2006-01-24, 07:04
This is not the first time I've seen this...Michael Herger pointed it out to me a few weeks ago as a byproduct of something else.

Should I open a bug report?

Unicode entered in input boxes in the web interface is mangled.

(search function, advanced search function, save name for playlists, etc)

There are several other bugs relating to unicode, but none seems to address this exact issue.

mherger
2006-01-24, 07:23
> This is not the first time I've seen this...Michael Herger pointed it
> out to me a few weeks ago as a byproduct of something else.
>
> Should I open a bug report?

There's already one: http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2532 -
this might match though the subject is misleading. If you think that's the
same issue I'll change its title.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
SlimString Translation Helper (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

Michaelwagner
2006-01-24, 07:56
Michael:
I would not have guessed without reading the description carefully that this is the same bug. But it might well be. I hadn't thought about player names, but yes, that too is an input field.

I searched bugzilla for "unicode" and didn't find your bug. So maybe you should put the word unicode into the bug description too, so people like me find it :-)

And it's more general than the setup pages and player names, it seems any input field has this problem. As you pointed out to me, the music directory cannot accept C:\msig. The search box couldn't accept Was Wri Wnn (what does "Wri" mean, by the way?), I assume playlist names won't be accepting accents either.

So perhaps the problem description should be broadened to say that no input field in the web interface accepts accented characters correctly.

Will you do that?

Written that way, it may motivate people to work harder to fix it. As it was originally written, it seemed like an obscure problem over in a corner.

mherger
2006-01-24, 08:14
> I would not have guessed without reading the description carefully that
> this is the same bug. But it might well be. I hadn't thought about
> player names, but yes, that too is an input field.

That's only were I first encountered the problem - calling my players
"Kchenpurschte" or "Staubfnger" :-).

> And it's more general than the setup pages and player names, it seems
> any input field has this problem.

It is indeed. I think I mentioned this in one of the notes or here in the
forum. But as I'm rarely using the search page I didn't notice.

> The search box couldn't accept Was
> Wri Wnn (what does "Wri" mean, by the way?)

This is Zurich dialect for "was wre wenn?" ("what would be if?")

> So perhaps the problem description should be broadened to say that no
> input field in the web interface accepts accented characters
> correctly.
>
> Will you do that?

Did that: "Unicode entered in input boxes in the web interface is
mangled". Thanks for that line :-)

--

Michael

nicky6
2006-01-24, 11:39
Excellent! Should I add a comment too on that bug or is that not needed to get it higher in the ranks?

Michaelwagner
2006-01-24, 12:04
Nicky: No need to comment on the bug, but you can help the cause by "voting" for the bug. That's usually used more for enhancements, but you can vote for a bug too.

The original submitter, Michael in this case, can also elevate the priority or severity, which might make sense now that he sees that it effects more areas of the product than he originally thought. He originally noticed the problem when picking names for his players, but the fact that you can't search for music with accents in it would, in my opinion, elevate the severity.

mherger
2006-01-25, 01:11
> Nicky: No need to comment on the bug, but you can help the cause by
> "voting" for the bug.

I added a link to this thread to the bug report. Comments made here are
available. Thanks for raising this issue. It wasn't given enough
importance as my original problem (bizarre names for players :-)) seemed
little important. And there are astonishingly little text input fields in
the web interface.

> The original submitter, Michael in this case, can also elevate the
> priority or severity, which might make sense now that he sees that it
> effects more areas of the product than he originally thought.

Done.

--

Michael