PDA

View Full Version : Desperate needs HELP!

carram
2006-01-12, 10:55
Please help

Just received my squeezebox3 today and nothing seems to work!

I'm not too techy and not that easy to receive support in the wilds of Gibraltar (Europe).

I finally managed to connect my sq3 to my router (netgear dg834gt) thats were the problems start.

I can't get it to connect to my computer (do I have to give it an ip address or what and if so how?) I desabled my windows SP2 firewall but still no joy. (does it matter if the slimserver opens in firefox? either way I tried it with IE and firefox still no connection.

My next problem was connecting to slimserver it connects to network but then says
connecting to squeeze network
connecting to wireless network
then
problem can't connect to squeezenetwork press left to go back ....

What wrong what do I do!

At the moment its just an expensive silver and black box and I can't get it to do anything.

Help please

Ron

Mark Lanctot
2006-01-12, 11:55
OK, so we've established that...

1. You cannot connect to SlimServer.

2. You cannot connect to SqueezeNetwork.

But let's go back to basics. Can you connect to
your wireless network at all?

When you went through your wireless network setup,
you got a screen:

"Connecting to [your SSID]: (20)"

Your SSID is the name of your wireless network.

(20) is a countdown. Mine counts down to 15
before it connects. If yours counts down to 0 and
then says:

"Problem: cannot connect to wireless network
Press LEFT to go to setup, press RIGHT to try again"

there's no point in troubleshooting the SlimServer
or SqueezeNetwork parts because you're not even
connected to your wireless network.

So can you connect to your wireless network? Try
it and post back.

If you can't connect to your wireless network we
will start troubleshooting your router and
internal network setup.

If you can, we'll troubleshoot SlimServer.

carram wrote:
> Please help
>
> Just received my squeezebox3 and nothing seems to
work!
>
> I'm not too techy and not that easy to receive
support in the wilds of
> Gibraltar (Europe).
>
> I finally managed to connect my sq3 to my router
(netgear dg834gt)
> thats were the problems start.
>
> I can't get it to connect to my computer (do I have
to give it an ip
> address or what and if so how?) I desabled my
windows SP2 firewall but
> still no joy. (does it matter if the slimserver
opens in firefox?
> either way I tried it with IE and firefox still no
connection.
>
> My next problem was connecting to slimserver it
connects to network but
> then says
> connecting to squeeze network
> connecting to wireless network
> then
> problem can't connect to squeezenetwork press left
to go back ....
>
> What wrong what do I do!
>
> Help please
>
> Ron
>
>

--

Mark Lanctot

carram
2006-01-12, 12:42
Thanks for replying Mark

Yes it connects at 14 then says

Obtain IP automatically?

OK

Ip 169.254.4.131

Then it asks "Select a music source 1 of 3

I scroll till it says connect to squeezenetwork

then it says connecting to wireless network

connecting to squeeze network

connecting to wireless network

Problem click left ......

Similarly if I don't click "connect to squeezenetwork"

it says looking for slimserver it then said 211.111.111.

right click

Setup complete

Then connecting to wireless network Problem click left ......

Thanks Ron

Mark Lanctot
2006-01-12, 13:30
Thanks for replying Mark

Yes it connects at 14 then says

Obtain IP automatically?

OK

Ip 169.254.4.131

Hmm...this is a bit weird. It connects, but the IP address it obtains is a "fallback" address that it will use if it can't get an address from your router. Either your IP address assignment is not working or you have no wireless connectivity.

Is there a long pause between when it connects and when it gives you an address? This indicates it's trying to receive an IP address from the router but fails.

First try to connect your Squeezebox wired directly to your router. You should reset it as you cycle the power - press and hold ADD on your remote as it powers up. It's a good idea to always reset it when doing changes like this. Specify a wired setup in the Squeezebox setup menu and ask it to obtain an IP address automatically. You should get a 192.168.xxx.xxx address, where xxx.xxx is either 2.something or 1.something. Now try SlimServer and SqueezeNetwork. If that works, your router is passing out IP addresses as it should.

For wireless troubleshooting, let's start at the beginning. Do you know how to get into your router's configuration page? Should be 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1 in your web browser URL bar. User name should be "admin" and password is blank, although this varies, check your router documentation.

Disable encryption. If you've never altered any router settings, you probably have no encryption. This is a bad idea but it'll do for now. Make sure there are no "super G" or "turbo G" "108 Mbps" options checked. Change your SSID to something only you will know.

Now try to connect your Squeezebox wirelessly. You'll have to go reset and go back to setup.

You should see your SSID now. Specify Open or No Encryption. You should be able to connect and you should get a 192.168.xxx.xxx address.

carram
2006-01-12, 14:12
Mark

Your're a gem.

Removed the encrytion and it connected OK.

went to squeezenetwork and i got a 5 figure number so thats OK.

I had WPA/PSK 8-64 encryption that i have now disabled from my router as you say bit dangerous so how to I connect back with encryption

Ron

Mark Lanctot
2006-01-12, 14:25
Mark

Your're a gem.

Removed the encrytion and it connected OK.

went to squeezenetwork and i got a 5 figure number so thats OK.

I had WPA/PSK 8-64 encryption that i have now disabled from my router as you say bit dangerous so how to I connect back with encryption

Ron

Good to hear!

Well, yes, it's dangerous to operate without encryption.

The fact that you weren't able to operate with it could have 2 causes:

1. You got the passphrase wrong. This is very, very, very easy to do. Trust me! :-) Look for capitalization errors and leading/trailing spaces inserted by accident. Double, triple and quadruple check it. Remove leading/trailing spaces by pressing the PLAY key on the remote.

2. Your router doesn't support the Squeezebox with encryption. This is an unfortunate but real possibility. Try upgrading your router firmware, but you may be forced to buy a new router. The Linksys WRT54G seems to work with nearly every Squeezebox setup.

To see if your router can handle your Squeezebox while using encryption, enable WPA encryption using the simplest passphrase you can think of...try "1". :-P It's nearly impossible to get this wrong, but make sure you have no leading or trailing spaces in either the router or the Squeezebox. If that works, your entire setup is 100% functional, you just had an error in the passphrase you entered into the Squeezebox. It happens.

carram
2006-01-12, 14:47
On the nail again!

The password encrytion on the sq3 was wrong it must have had spaces at the end and i couldn't see them seems a bit difficult to delete a letter or number if you get it wrong the first time when i switch off now the time and date are displayed so it must be working OK.

I can now get internet radio which is what i really wanted.

Its getting a bit late now over in Europe so my wife wants to get to bed, i've been a bit of a pain trying to get this thing to work all day, at least I'll be able to sleep now.

I'll play about with it again tomorrow afternoon.

Can I let you know how i get on?

Thanks a lot

you're a real pal

Ron

Mark Lanctot
2006-01-12, 14:56
The password encrytion on the sq3 was wrong it must have had spaces at the end and i couldn't see them seems a bit difficult to delete a letter or number if you get it wrong the first time when i switch off now the time and date are displayed so it must be working OK.

Speaking from experience, trailing spaces are quite easy to insert by accident. I'm not sure what it is about the SB interface that allows this. Easy to remove by holding the PLAY button though.

I can now get internet radio which is what i really wanted.

SlimServer connection should now be easy.

Its getting a bit late now over in Europe so my wife wants to get to bed, i've been a bit of a pain trying to get this thing to work all day, at least I'll be able to sleep now.

I'll play about with it again tomorrow afternoon.

Can I let you know how i get on?

Sure thing, but I think we have most of the problem licked.