PDA

View Full Version : SMC WBR14g won't connect to SB3

nicketynick
2006-01-12, 06:47
Just got a chance to try to quickly set up my new SB3 last night. SB finds broadcast SSID, but won't connect. Encryption turned off, no gnitro, etc.
Stoobie-doo reported similarly in the wiki - any resolution?
BTW - how do you check the signal strength at the SB3 during setup (can you)?
Oh, how I had hoped to be one of the lucky ones with an out-of-the-box experience! I'll be back at it tonight - any suggestions appreciated!

Michaelwagner
2006-01-12, 06:54
Hey Nick!

In the wiki he said he had to reset several times to get it to work. Did you try that?

nicketynick
2006-01-12, 07:01
Morning Michael!
Wasn't sure what he meant - resetting the router? Just do this by unplugging it? What does that accomplish?
Definitely something I'll try tonight, anyway.

Michaelwagner
2006-01-12, 07:21
Dunno. You could ask him. I don't have one of these. Does it have a reset button?

nicketynick
2006-01-12, 07:37
It has a 'factory-reset' that you have to push and hold for 5 seconds with a paper-clip - easier said than done! Stoobie-doo, sure hope you can chime in here, and let me know how things have worked out!

stoobie-doo
2006-01-12, 10:22
It has a 'factory-reset' that you have to push and hold for 5 seconds with a paper-clip - easier said than done! Stoobie-doo, sure hope you can chime in here, and let me know how things have worked out!

Eventually I gave up and switched to a DLink 514.

I had three problems with the SMC router.
1. Every once in awhile my laptop would lose its IP address (ok, this was not Squeezebox related) - performing a system reset via the router's software interface always fixed that
2. Frequently, the SB3 would lose its IP address from the router and be unable to connect to my Slimserver. Here's what would happen; when it would try to get an IP address via DHCP, the countdown would go all the way to zero and fail, every once in awhile I would see the SB3 assign itself a private 192.164.x.x address. I could usually solve the problem by either, connecting instead to SqueezeNetwork and then dropping back to the SlimServer (don't know why it worked, but it did); or factory resetting the SB3 and redoing the network setup - often I would have to do two or three resets before getting an IP address
3. I also had problems while streaming music (AAC, usually 128k) where the SB3 would stop streaming and then reconnect sometimes five minutes, sometimes several hours after it had left off. Kevin in technical support thought it was a DHCP issue as well working itself out over time.

Long story short, it wasn't worth it to me keep fighting the router, so I switched routers.

nicketynick
2006-01-12, 10:36
Thanks for the reply stoobie-doo. I snuck home at lunch, because being the rookie that I am, I got forgot to check the firewall on the router - when I disabled that, it hooked right up (no DHCP trouble at all) and now I'm playing! I've left it running - here's hoping its still running when I get back home.
Just have to check the wiki for the ports I need to leave open, and figure out how do that in the router's s/w interface.
I love this forum - its like a great big security blanket!

dropbear
2006-01-12, 10:43
from the wiki:
http://www.slimdevices.com/su_faq.html#networking

You will then need to add three exceptions for these ports by clicking 'Add Port...':

* Port number: 3483 (TCP) - Name: SlimServer Control
* Port number: 3483 (UDP) - Name: SlimDiscovery
* Port Number: 9000 (TCP) - Name: SlimServer Web

Sorry, don't have a SMC router so I can't tell you how to set these up. In my Netgear DG834 you have to define each of these as a Service, and then add these Services to the Firewall Rule set.

Pete

nicketynick
2006-01-12, 10:55
Thanks dropbear - saved me the trouble! Pints are on me next time I'm in Hampshire, which shouldn't be too long I hope - we need to get back and visit the friends we made during our 2 years in Derby!

Mark Lanctot
2006-01-12, 11:40
But note you shouldn't need to set this in your
router firewall unless you're planning on
streaming music to the Internet.

Router firewalls should* have no effect on your
LAN. They are intended for traffic going to and
from the WAN (Internet) to your LAN (local
network), not traffic within your LAN.

* I say "should" because there's some pretty poor
router firmware out there!

dropbear wrote:
> from the wiki:
> http://www.slimdevices.com/su_faq.html#networking
>
> You will then need to add three exceptions for these
ports by clicking
> 'Add Port...':
>
> * Port number: 3483 (TCP) - Name: SlimServer Control
> * Port number: 3483 (UDP) - Name: SlimDiscovery
> * Port Number: 9000 (TCP) - Name: SlimServer Web
>
>
> Sorry, don't have a SMC router so I can't tell you
how to set these up.
> In my Netgear DG834 you have to define each of these
as a Service, and
> then add these Services to the Firewall Rule set.
>
> Pete
>
>

--

Mark Lanctot

nicketynick
2006-01-12, 12:17
Hi Mark,

Well, I think *should* is the problem - I'll double-test, but I'm pretty confident SB3 won't connect to my SMCWBR14g with the firewall enabled (but will when its disabled). Maybe there is some other setting in the firewall keeping the SB3 from connecting? I don't know diddly about firewalls, so I'm out of my depth while I climb the learning curve.
I need to play around a bit and post what I learn. Watch this space!

Mark Lanctot
2006-01-12, 12:32
It wouldn't surprise me much. I found the
firmware on my SMC2804WBRP-G to be quite poor.

I could not connect my SB2, and after playing
around with 10 firmware versions of the 20 (!) out
there for this model, I decided to ditch it. Some
of these firmware versions were known to disable
pretty fundamental things, like connectivity with
more than one client! Got a Linksys WRT54G.
Worked perfectly. Haven't looked back.

But I have an SMC2804WBRP-G for sale. ;-) SB
connectivity not at all guaranteed. ;-)

nicketynick wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> Well, I think *should* is the problem - I'll
double-test, but I'm
> pretty confident SB3 won't connect to my SMCWBR14g
with the firewall
> enabled (but will when its disabled). Maybe there
is some other
> setting in the firewall keeping the SB3 from
connecting? I don't know
> diddly about firewalls, so I'm out of my depth while
I climb the
> learning curve.
> I need to play around a bit and post what I learn.
Watch this space!
>
>

--

Mark Lanctot

Michaelwagner
2006-01-12, 12:44
Some firewalls, especially new releases of firewalls, seem to lose track of their major purpose, which is protecting the inside network from the outside, and start sticking their noses where they don't belong, that is, officating at traffic that is both to and from the inside network.