PDA

View Full Version : Volume control - Please make it logarithmic

Claus-DK
2006-01-11, 03:02
I'm Running a SB3 on SlimServer Version: 6.2.1 - 5194 - Linux - EN - iso-8859-1.

I think that the volume control is a bit strange.

Can someone confirm to me that the volume control is far from logarithmic perhaps almost linear?

Would it be possible to get a real logarithmic volume control in a future release of the server/firmware?

Regards
Claus

ceejay
2006-01-11, 05:45
Hi

You should try the 6.2.2 version, which has changed this behaviour. It is available here: http://www.slimdevices.com/dev_nightly.html

HTH

Ceejay.

dean
2006-01-11, 08:27
The new volume scale is far more logarithmic in voltage than it was
before. It should be _perceptually_ more linear now in 6.2.1.

Some very minor tweaking was done for the 6.2.2 release to avoid some
rounding errors, but the overall volume curve should be nearly
identical.

Claus-DK
2006-01-11, 10:12
The new volume scale is far more logarithmic in voltage than it was before. It should be _perceptually_ more linear now in 6.2.1.

It might be my English skills that's causing this but I'm not quite sure what you mean.

I understand it as the volume scale in version 6.2.1 is far more logarithmic than it was in earlier versions so that the human ear/brain perceive it as linear - Just as the intention is when using a logarithmic scale for volume control.

Some very minor tweaking was done for the 6.2.2 release to avoid some rounding errors, but the overall volume curve should be nearly identical.

Ok! That might explain why upgrading to the latest nightly didn't change the scale much - At least I'm not really able to differentiate between the two.

Just how close is the volume scale to the ideal logarithmic one?

Regards
Claus