PDA

View Full Version : ADDing a genre tag without replacing it for multiple files

SlimPvC
2006-01-10, 13:20
Does anyone here know of a trick to add a genre tag without replacing the existing content, for multiple files?
I've searched through Tag&Rename but could not find a solution to this need. This can do multiple replaces, but that's not what I want because I'll lose the current info

for example:
I have tagged files with a single genre
and I want to re-tag all these files with
"<current genre-tag>,quiet"

If I can do this, it would save me a lot of doubled files which I now have stored under the artist itself and under a folder with 'quiet music' only

Tips are much appreciated!

Peter

John Hernandez
2006-01-10, 14:05
Just a long shot, but mp3tag advertises support for Regular Expressions.
I take that to mean you can use ( ... ) style capture buffers, but I'm
not sure.

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/index.html

SlimPvC wrote:
> Does anyone here know of a trick to add a genre tag without replacing
> the existing content, for multiple files?
> I've searched through Tag&Rename but could not find a solution to this
> need. This can do multiple replaces, but that's not what I want because
> I'll lose the current info
>
> for example:
> I have tagged files with a single genre
> and I want to re-tag all these files with
> "<current genre-tag>,quiet"
>
> If I can do this, it would save me a lot of doubled files which I now
> have stored under the artist itself and under a folder with 'quiet
> music' only
>
> Tips are much appreciated!
>
> Peter
>
>

ceejay
2006-01-10, 16:06
Does anyone here know of a trick to add a genre tag without replacing the existing content, for multiple files?
I've searched through Tag&Rename but could not find a solution to this need. This can do multiple replaces, but that's not what I want because I'll lose the current info

for example:
I have tagged files with a single genre
and I want to re-tag all these files with
"<current genre-tag>,quiet"

If I can do this, it would save me a lot of doubled files which I now have stored under the artist itself and under a folder with 'quiet music' only

Tips are much appreciated!

Peter

mp3tag can nearly do this, with a little care you can get what you want, though its a bit more manual than you are probably looking for.

1. In mp3tag, open the "quiet" directory of your music folder. It will bring all the files therein into play (it will take a little while, its going to read all the tags!)

2. Sort by genre (click the head of the genre column)

3. Select all the files for the first genre in your list (lets say its "Rock")

4. On the left hand pane, type Rock;Quiet into the genre field, and save.

5. Repeat for other genres.

Having said all that, I can't help thinking that a program to do what you want shouldn't be too hard - all it needs to be able to do is find the tag and rewrite it. What format are you using?

Ceejay

ceejay
2006-01-10, 16:46
Please ignore my previous post! John Hernandez had it right - mp3tag can now do exactly what you want, with Regular Expressions. Its only a little bit tricky.

You need to create a custom action, discussed here:

http://www.anytag.de/forums/index.php?showtopic=980

To create the new action, press the "Actions" button (looks like AB).

Top button on the right creates a new configuration.

Give it a name (eg "add quiet to genre")

top button on the right creates a new action item.

Select action type - "replace with regular expression"

Specify field (Genre) and Expression and Replace; I tried:
Genre
^(.*)$
$1;Quiet

... and it seems to do exactly what you asked for!

I love this forum, I learn something new every day...

Ceejay.

PS: Or, even easier, instead of using action type = regular expression, use action type = format value. Then specify Genre as the field and %genre%;Quiet as the format string.

geoffb
2006-01-10, 20:18
On 1/10/06, ceejay <ceejay.21fyqn (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
> mp3tag can nearly do this, with a little care you can get what you
> want, though its a bit more manual than you are probably looking for.

In fact, I think it's even easier. You can create a 'replace' action
in MP3Tag for the genre field, with a format string of:
%genre%;Quiet
(for example)
This will turn
Pop into Pop;Quiet for all the selected files.

Regular expressions are available as well, for more complicated actions.
Cheers
Geoff

SlimPvC
2006-01-11, 02:07
PS: Or, even easier, instead of using action type = regular expression, use action type = format value. Then specify Genre as the field and %genre%;Quiet as the format string.

That's great - exactly what I needed.

I managed to find out that MP3Tag could do this; had a bit of a hard time to find out how to use the reg exp because it was nowhere in the help section. And to be honest, I don't understand too much of the reg exp syntax conventions. But with a lof of puzzling I have succeeded in what I want.
Hadn't found out about the format value action, Even easier!

Thanks again.

Indeed, this forum again proves to be of great value!!!

Peter

JJZolx
2006-01-11, 02:13
One other thing - if these are Flac or Ogg files then SlimServer will have no problem recognizing multiple GENRE tags and Mp3tag has no problem adding them. So, just add another GENRE tag to all of the files. Select all of your files, then use the Tags dialog (the icon is paper with pencil, the keyboard shortcut is ALT+T).

Philip Meyer
2006-01-11, 02:25
>> Does anyone here know of a trick to add a genre tag without replacing
>> the existing content, for multiple files?
Rather than adding a colon-separated list of genre tags, you can just add another genre tag. Slimserver supports multiple genre tags.

MP3tag supports this. Just select all of the files that have the single-genre that you want, then select the "Tags..." option (Alt-T). Add your new genre tag with a value of "Quiet". All previous genre tags will be untouched.

Phil

ceejay
2006-01-11, 06:16
had a bit of a hard time to find out how to use the reg exp because it was nowhere in the help section.

... another thing I've learned about mp3tag over the last couple of months is that what you are looking for probably IS in the help files, it just seems to be impossible to find. Certainly just calling up the main help page and "following your nose" doesn't work very well. On the other hand, clicking "help" on a particular dialog box will usually take you somewhere helpful.

(except in v2.35 which seems to be broken in finding help pages altogether, but hopefully that will be fixed quickly).

Regular expressions are (briefly) described (on my installation) at file:///C:/Program%20Files/Mp3tag/help/options_format.html

Ceejay.

geoffb
2006-01-11, 08:16
On 1/11/06, ceejay <ceejay.21h23b (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> SlimPvC Wrote:
> > had a bit of a hard time to find out how to use the reg exp because it
> > was nowhere in the help section.
>
> ... another thing I've learned about mp3tag over the last couple of
> months is that what you are looking for probably IS in the help files,

Also, I've found that searching the forums is pretty helpful; there
are a lot of useful regular expression examples, and answers to common
questions.
Cheers
Geoff