PDA

View Full Version : mac trouble with starting slimserver...

mrflagio
2006-01-10, 09:23
Hello,

My SlimServer seems to start up for a second, then close. I've read through the forums and while I've found similar problems, haven't found the same exact problem, and any suggested solutions have yet to help out. I spoke to tech support last night and he walked me through a bunch of things which at least clarified some issues, but in the end, it's still not working, so I figured I'd post my question here as well and see if anyone's experienced this.

My set-up is a Mac G5, 1.8 Ghz, 1 gig RAM, w/ OSX 10.3.9. My computer is connected to a simple ethernet hub, as is my cable modem, my printer, and the squeezebox. I was told this isn't an optimal set-up because I don't have a router, but there's a common work-around creating a virtual network in the mac that tech support walked me through. He also gave me the IP settings for my squeezebox. None of that matters because I simply can't get SlimServer to start.

I installed the latest nightly build (as well as the earliest of this version SlimServer software(after uninstalling everything manually) and I have the same problem. When I click on "start server" in system preferences, it seems to start up, then within a minute, clicks off again. If I'm fast enough, I can click on the Open Web Browser but it can't connect, so I'm assuming the Slim Server isn't even starting up then crashing, but never fully starting up?

What's odd is that I installed an older version on a lark, and it started up, gave me the web interface and everything, read my iTunes library even, but couldn't communicate with the Squeezebox. Tech support told me that version was too old and wouldn't work with the Squeezebox so it doesn't matter anyway.

Any thoughts? I've quit all other applications, turned off as much as I could, turned off the firewall, nothing seems to help. Any other ideas? Am I missing something? Tech support walked me through a few things in the terminal, checking directories and doing other things I didn't understand, and still nothing. From looking at the log he said there's some problem writing to the database.

This morning I tried repairing permissions and got nothing, but did it from my hard drive, my next step is to dig out my system 10.3 disk, repair permissions again, then re-install.

Any thoughts/suggestions/questions/help?

thanks in advance...forgive the length of this, I'm trying to be as thorough as possible and really want to get this thing to work! I've been listening to music while sitting at my computer desk for way too long.

Dan

Eric Le Baron
2006-01-10, 10:31
If you have an external firewire disk you could try to make a clean install on that one, make it your start up disk, install the SlimServer software and try again.

What if you connect the Squeezebox directly to your G5, without ethernet hub.

mrflagio
2006-01-10, 10:38
If you have an external firewire disk you could try to make a clean install on that one, make it your start up disk, install the SlimServer software and try again.

What if you connect the Squeezebox directly to your G5, without ethernet hub.

I'll give those a shot later, thanks. Not sure if I'd be able to connect directly w/o the hub, I think I need a crossover cable instead of a regular ethernet cable.

Eric Le Baron
2006-01-10, 15:22
Correct, according to the owner's guide page 23: You can connect Squeezebox directly to your computer (without a local network or hub) using an ethernet crossover cable.

Guess you also tried it with nothing else but the Squeezebox connected to the ethernet hub.

mrflagio
2006-01-10, 21:39
Correct, according to the owner's guide page 23: You can connect Squeezebox directly to your computer (without a local network or hub) using an ethernet crossover cable.

Guess you also tried it with nothing else but the Squeezebox connected to the ethernet hub.

Despite the connection, shouldn't I be able to run slim server without a squeezebox, or anything else? That's my first and main challenge.

danco
2006-01-10, 23:23
Certainly SlimServer shouldn't quit on you when it starts, which is gather is what is happening to you, even without an SB.

Did you install it for all users or just for one user? Not that I can see what difference that should make, but it's another bit of data.

mrflagio
2006-01-11, 06:55
Certainly SlimServer shouldn't quit on you when it starts, which is gather is what is happening to you, even without an SB.

Did you install it for all users or just for one user? Not that I can see what difference that should make, but it's another bit of data.

I tried both...no difference.

still looking for my start-up disk to try the above suggestion!

mrflagio
2006-01-12, 21:51
well, it looks like the problem had more to do with my hard drive then the slim server! In trying to troubleshoot the issue, I was running some basic disk utility/disk warrior type things and was getting tons of errors on my disk. I went out and bought my own disk warrior(the version I first used didn't work because it's disk was too early an OS for my G5), and ran it. It fixed my hard drive more or less, and suddenly I was able to install slim server just fine and was up and running in no time.

Now I've got some more questions about the squeeze box, but they'll probably be much easier to look into...thanks for the suggestions in any case.