PDA

View Full Version : New User Help: Round 2

artherstrasse
2006-01-09, 09:05
Squeezebox and SlimServer working great.

Question: I'd like to control the Squeezebox only (Computers off, Slimserver off) with an 802 capable Palm. We listen to a lot of internet radio (at least as long as the RIAA and its lackies in Congress allow it). However, to control it I either have to use the Squeezebox remote (line of sight) or have a Computer on and SlimServer running.

The impression I get is Softsqueeze and Salling Clicker only work with SlimServer. They do not control the Squeezebox directly.

Am I misinterpreting Softsqueeze and Salling? Is there a solution to go from a Palm TX to the Squeezebox that I have yet to discover?

slimpy
2006-01-09, 10:40
Am I misinterpreting Softsqueeze and Salling? Is there a solution to go from a Palm TX to the Squeezebox that I have yet to discover?
No, there isn't any (that I know of). Infrared is the only way if you don't have a pc or NAS running.
But you could use the irtrans ethernet module (http://www.irtrans.de) with built-in code database to control the squeezebox. This module is a powerful ir sender and receiver with ethernet port. If you get the version with the database you can make it send ir codes from its database from any network device (like your Palm?) with simple UDP commands. No need to have a pc running.

-s.

artherstrasse
2006-01-10, 19:13
Given my short experience with the Squeezebox and, during that period, seeing Squeezenetwork has not been as reliable a radio streamer as iTunes, I'll probably end up simply leaving the desktop on and using the Palm to control Slimserver.