PDA

View Full Version : A photo of your Squeezebox setup (please)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Skunk
2006-01-07, 12:36
Seen here with Jolida 102b and Fostex FE206e:

Patrick Dixon
2006-01-07, 12:48
<Gasps>

If you must stand your speakers on a swivel chair, blue sounds much better.

Skunk
2006-01-07, 13:10
<Gasps>

OK. Thanks for the opportunity to retort.

If I were going to re-house the Squeezebox I'd put it in an enclosure that is actually _more_ attractive than the original (v1,2 or 3.

So I choose to decouple rather than rigidly spike them. They do sound better up high. I'm working on front horns. FE series aren't exactly known for shaking the room, and look at the speaker for christ's sake:

teanau
2006-01-07, 21:20
my ghetto temporary situation:
axiom m22ti's
axiom ep600 (the neighbours love me)
panasonic sa-xr70
2tb infrant ready nas (serving up the love)

that looks like a beautiful system skunk.
_sam

nelamvr6
2006-01-07, 22:03
<Gasps>

If you must stand your speakers on a swivel chair, blue sounds much better.

:D LOL! I'm partial to green myself!

Skunk
2006-01-08, 06:55
I'm partial to green myself!

Me too. Welcome to the forum.

bossanova808
2006-01-08, 23:14
My setup below. We've got a three level house - the main setup is is in the middle (living) level).

I'm using a Rotel pre-amp and power amp (1050) with Sonus faber Conertino Domus speakers (which look way better in real life than this crappy photo!). The SB is at the top of the device pyramid on the lower right shelf.

Veyr nice sounding combination - especially with your more 'musical stuff' like Jazz etc, particularly strong on vocals and with soundstage way bigger than you'd expect from the speaker size.

Downstairs, in the office, I have some Rega Jura speakers which are more suited to your modern stuff - big rock and dancey beats etc, a little less musical, a little more oomph, and with a truly huge soundstage. There are wired to the same amp, and I control the music using Moose.

Whole thing is feeding of an infrant ReadyNAS.

Overall, I'm very very happy with my setups - all the devices offer very good value for money, in particular the SB of course!!

tyler_durden
2006-01-09, 11:19
Home made amp and squeezebox. That's it. I removed my CD player and tuner as they are no longer needed.
Speakers not shown are Quad ESL-63s.

TD

dwc
2006-01-09, 12:07
Tyler that's a cute/cool amp.

(guess i have to find my camera now)
-Dan

tyler_durden
2006-01-09, 12:47
Thanks! The box used to be a cell phone diversity antenna amplifier housing. I picked it up at a scrap yard for about $15, then did a little finish work and built an amplifier into it. The amp is an LM3886 IC based circuit taken right off the ap note for the IC. It will deliver about 30W per channel. The box is all aluminum, and the amp chips are quite efficient (class B) so the whole thing never even gets warm.

It is small, but quite heavy. I think it weighs around 25 lbs. I sort of overbuilt the power supply with a 330VA transformer and 160,000 uF total capacitance.

I'll have to do something about that volume control knob one of these days...

TD

jonheal
2006-01-09, 13:28
Thanks! The box used to be a cell phone diversity antenna amplifier housing. I picked it up at a scrap yard for about $15, then did a little finish work and built an amplifier into it. The amp is an LM3886 IC based circuit taken right off the ap note for the IC. It will deliver about 30W per channel. The box is all aluminum, and the amp chips are quite efficient (class B) so the whole thing never even gets warm.

It is small, but quite heavy. I think it weighs around 25 lbs. I sort of overbuilt the power supply with a 330VA transformer and 160,000 uF total capacitance.

I'll have to do something about that volume control knob one of these days...

TD

I think you should use a steam valve ;-)

Mark Lanctot
2006-01-09, 15:46
I took a picture for the review I published. The review is here:

http://www.abxzone.com/abx_reviews/fraoch2/article_p1.html

The only space I had was on top of my Energy C-5 speaker. Astonishingly, it looks like it was made for it. There's less than 1/4" of unused space on either side.

It's even the same silver/black colour.

You don't see much of the speaker in this photo but you get an idea how well it fits.

davehg
2006-01-09, 23:41
I've since had Boldercables modify it, along with their Deluxe power supply. Sounds phenomenal.

Gear is Tri-Vista 21 DAC feeding VAC Avatar SE. Foundation Research LC1 and LC2 power cable boxes are visible in the corners, and silver looking cable coming out the back of the SB3 is a Acoustic Zen MC2 silver digital cable.

Ohh yeah, that great 40 lb hunk of stainless steel and copper supporting the Tri-Vista and the SB3 is a rare Pioneer Elite PD-S95 Stable Patter transport, one of the best I've heard. I've barely turned it on since getting the modified SB3 back.

I'll post a comparison once the Bolder power supply burns in.

notanatheist
2006-01-10, 00:32
My setup is a work in progress as shown but any questions are welcomed. The full sized pic can be viewed at http://www.eviltechmonkey.com/images/slimtheat.jpg
BTW, Definitive Technology speakers, Yamaha receiver, Mac Mini below the SB3, Hitachi on the plasma, Samsung and Philips DVD players, Sony CDP CA9ES CD player (collecting dust), Roku HD1000 (only used for photo shows on the plasma)

Bruce Hartley
2006-01-10, 01:14
This is my current setup:

Squeezebox 3 should be arriving in the next day or so, so I'll repost then :-)

Rgds,
Bruce.

p.s. full setup can be seen at http://brucehartley.com/

nicky6
2006-01-11, 06:58
Would've wanted to be able to run both FM and streamed music without detaching the cables, but now I run Internet radio in the kitchen instead. The SB3 belongs to the living room where the receiver etc is, but I liked the idea of old and new on a photo... Just tried it out in the kitchen.

Mr Perceptive
2006-01-11, 14:44
Not got any photos of my living room system or kitchen system but do have some of the one in the dining room (SB1).

The SB1 is using the digital output into a pair of Meridian D600's - The Worlds first digital loudspeaker! Launched in 1989 (retailing at £2500), these speakers are a 3 way active design with Bitstream DAC and 165mm bass, 165mm bass/mid and 25mm tweeter, each driven by 3x75W amplifer. Interestingly the D600 not only supports digital inputs (3 - 2 coax, 1 optical) but also up to 2 analogue inputs (balanced and unbalanced inputs) , so effectively they have a pre-amplifier on board as well as built in DACs. They came supplied with two sets on EPROMs, the set installed effectively set the speaker to operate as a standard analogue active speaker only (equivalent to a standard Meridian M speaker and in this mode the speaker could be considered as a forerunner to the M60 having identical cabinet size). The other set of EPROMs was the original D600 set.

PS I don't light the fire and look at the scary 1980's remote!!

Mr Perceptive

nelamvr6
2006-01-11, 15:02
Keeping my cable modem (and me) company.

funkstar
2006-01-11, 15:04
Bloomin'eck!

10/10 or originality, 0/10 for ergonomics :)

funkstar
2006-01-11, 15:11
Bloomin'eck!

mauidan
2006-01-11, 16:03
Now where did I put that box?

slimpy
2006-01-11, 16:33
Here's my living room setup:
SB2 platinum, receiver and dvd inside sideboard (ir receivers
brought out through bottom) and three small cactuses in a defunct
'70s toaster :)

-s.

Mark Lanctot
2006-01-11, 21:19
Now where did I put that box?

Umm...I think you voided the warranty on that one. :-P

nicky6
2006-01-12, 01:38
Bloomin'eck!

What's seen so far among these pictures and on the web ("tests" of the sound of the Sonic Impact and the Squeezeboxes), I think that it's surprising to see so many people spending lots of dough on equipment and don't invest the time or money to make them play correct. Near cabinets filled with loose, "tingling" (don't know the word for the sound when small piece of metal rattle when they're loose) accessoires that will sound as soon as you walk by the cabinet and will really shake when playing music. Speakers close to walls, centre speakers underneatch cabinets, etc. etc. :)

This is no flame, but I was just surprised... My Mission 780's (rated best speaker sub 1000 UKP in 2002 by What Hifi, so it's quite a cheap speaker) cost approx 500 USD at the time and the stands an extra 200 (and the ceramic spikes an extra 100), but they sound quite different depending on where I put them (and when I put them on good stands and good spikes on the stands). Let alone the subwoofer (the 780's only go down to 65Hz), which I moved around in 10cm increments forever to get the best sound. No loose acessoires near my stereo system, except the odd remote on the table. A "tapestry" (don't know the english word for a cloth haning on the wall) on the side wall, a big sofa etc. and I've moved them all around to get the best sound possible. It's such a big difference in the sound compared to just putting them in each corner of the room, beside the side walls or close to the back walls, near a cabinet filled with loose bits, etc.
I promise you that some of you would get much more value for your money if you played around with your current setups.

slimpy
2006-01-12, 03:01
What's seen so far among these pictures and on the web ("tests" of the sound of the Sonic Impact and the Squeezeboxes), I think that it's surprising to see so many people spending lots of dough on equipment and don't invest the time or money to make them play correct. Near cabinets filled with loose, "tingling" (don't know the word for the sound when small piece of metal rattle when they're loose) accessoires that will sound as soon as you walk by the cabinet and will really shake when playing music. Speakers close to walls, centre speakers underneatch cabinets, etc. etc. :)

This is no flame, but I was just surprised... My Mission 780's (rated best speaker sub 1000 UKP in 2002 by What Hifi, so it's quite a cheap speaker) cost approx 500 USD at the time and the stands an extra 200 (and the ceramic spikes an extra 100), but they sound quite different depending on where I put them (and when I put them on good stands and good spikes on the stands). Let alone the subwoofer (the 780's only go down to 65Hz), which I moved around in 10cm increments forever to get the best sound. No loose acessoires near my stereo system, except the odd remote on the table. A "tapestry" (don't know the english word for a cloth haning on the wall) on the side wall, a big sofa etc. and I've moved them all around to get the best sound possible. It's such a big difference in the sound compared to just putting them in each corner of the room, beside the side walls or close to the back walls, near a cabinet filled with loose bits, etc.
I promise you that some of you would get much more value for your money if you played around with your current setups.
If I had a seperate room just for audio listening I guess I would do what you suggest and might even buy some decent equipment. But if you just have one room for watching tv, listening to music, reading, having drinks with friends, etc. there are some other factors that are more important than the best possible sound from your equipment. And if you have a wife or girlfriend who doesn't really care if your music plays as mp3 or in a lossless format it is really hard to justify speakers standing in the middle of the room just because it sounds better (not to mention buying spikes for a 100)! IMHO a great setup is not just what you here but also what you see. Sometimes it is just not as simple as putting your speakers in the right place.

-s.

nicky6
2006-01-12, 05:45
Slimpy, I agree with you - actually I don't either have a special listening room. It's my living room. What made me write was seeing some guys with speakers for zillion of pounds/dollars in front of a floor glass window, or next to a cabinet filled with small items or glasses, just makes me think where the priorities for some lies - in showing others that they have an expensive setup and therefor can call themselves audiophiles, or to get good quality sound? Sorry that I mentioned floor-mounted center speakers (it's just because I saw your picture and that was another compromise I could come up with. I brought it up because of my lack of imagination I guess :) ). I know myself it can be a hard time finding place for that one. Especially with a flat-TV like you have. Not very much WAF when mounting a 20cm thick log above or beneath the LCS/Plasma :)

And the spikes - I actually think it was a bargain thinking of what it made for the sound (when comparing 500+100 for my 780's with these spikes or another system at 600 w/o these spikes). The difference wasn't huge, but noticable. They're built like a spike inside a flat foot, so my wooden floor won't get ruined.

btw, I finally found the link to the spikes: http://www.soundcare.no/

Sir G
2006-01-12, 07:16
Here's one of my SB3s (the other one is in my office where I unfortunately spend most of my time)

Robin Bowes
2006-01-12, 15:06
nicky6 said the following on 12/01/2006 08:38:
> A "tapestry" (don't know the english word for a cloth haning on the
> wall) on the side wall

That would be a "wall hanging".

R.
--
http://robinbowes.com

If a man speaks in a forest,
and his wife's not there,
is he still wrong?

Jetlag
2006-01-12, 15:47
Here's one of my SB3s (the other one is in my office where I unfortunately spend most of my time)

Nice NADs! ;)

Sir G
2006-01-12, 16:52
Yeah, good WAF too ...

nicketynick
2006-01-13, 08:15
Took a long time to figure it out (didn't have any AV on this floor of the house at all) - couldn't afford trial and error!
Sounds pretty good too, although I'm no golden ears. Its primarily for ambience and entertaining, not 'listening'.
The server-side still needs work for WAF, but I'm on track there too!

Sir G
2006-01-13, 08:22
You don't seriously mean to leave these fine speakers on the floor? :)

nicketynick
2006-01-13, 11:08
I know, I know - and why do I have a CD transport too? Speaker stands that meet the WAF is likely an almost insurmountable task - I'll probably have to invent a Klingon cloaking device!

max.spicer
2006-01-13, 12:07
Don't laugh! This is the squeezebox in one of our bedrooms. It's hooked up to a Sonic T-Amp and some Eltax Milennium Minis. The speakers aren't the best out there, but the system still sounds pretty good and is nice and compact.

Max

Mark Lanctot
2006-01-13, 12:10
Don't laugh! This is the squeezebox in one of our bedrooms. It's hooked up to a Sonic T-Amp and some Eltax Milennium Minis. The speakers aren't the best out there, but the system still sounds pretty good and is nice and compact.

Max

I'm not laughing but...

I would imagine you have some pretty good sound absorption to eliminate rear reflections from the speakers there. :-D

Kyle
2006-01-13, 12:14

Max

What?!! No "Wild Things" stuffed animals?

nicketynick
2006-01-13, 13:05
I really like it. If only the SB3 and the T-Amp were integrated....

dem
2006-01-13, 14:58
My SB3 has a good view of the living room.

dem
2006-01-13, 15:19
You can't really read the SB3 display in my last message, so...

notanatheist
2006-01-13, 21:13
Two things Dem,

where'd you change the message and how's your receiver staying cool?

ezkcdude
2006-01-13, 23:14
I know, I know - and why do I have a CD transport too? Speaker stands that meet the WAF is likely an almost insurmountable task - I'll probably have to invent a Klingon cloaking device!

Your wife prefers speakers sitting on the floor? I think this is bad feng shui.

crooner
2006-01-14, 01:19
The receiver is a 1978 vintage Pioneer SX-1980 rated at 270 watts per channel RMS.

The speakers (not shown) are Vandersteen 2Cs along with a Vandersteen 2W powered subwoofer.

The Squeezebox is connected using the analog outputs (I plan to add an external DAC later) using Kimber PBJ interconnects.

Sounds fantastic!!!

max.spicer
2006-01-14, 03:22
In my defence, this is the only place in the house where there are any cuddly toys! It's the top of a wardrobe - that's where these things get shoved. I will admit to having a mini Max from Where The Wild Things Are though (of course!). Now you mention it, I've no idea where that's got to.

Max

What?!! No "Wild Things" stuffed animals?

funkstar
2006-01-14, 05:26
The receiver is a 1978 vintage Pioneer SX-1980 rated at 270 watts per channel RMS.
wow! that looks like an amazing reciever. you can't beat good quality vintage gear (my parents early '80s B&O music center is another good example)

dem
2006-01-14, 05:52
Two things Dem,

where'd you change the message and how's your receiver staying cool?
I changed the message with the SlimServer Web Interface. You can find the documentation by clicking on the Technical Information link on the SlimServer main page.

The receiver can get a bit warm, but it's several inches deeper than the TiVos on top of it so it ventilates OK. Also, it has a fan which comes on if it gets too unhappy.

Browny
2006-01-14, 07:37
Ok well here is mine.

Note the cunning use of a Rega Planar 3 as a nice stable support - I never use it anymore...Oh the shame!!

The Sub is only for surround sound before I get any comments on that...

Browny

Craig
2006-01-14, 08:27
Here's mine
A 1905 Junior Monarch Gramophone
SB2
Meridian 508 CD Player
Audiolab Amps
Linn Keilidh Speakers

Craig

Nikhil
2006-01-14, 08:59
Here's my primary system in the bedroom:

Music (Mostly EAC secure ripped FLAC files) stored on a 250GB Buffalo Linkstation (not seen in picture)

Squeezebox2 (connected via digital coaxial)
Cyrus DAC-X D-A convertor
Cyrus CD8 player + PSX-R Power Supply
Cyrus 8 Integrated Amplifier + PSX-R Power Supply
Dynaudio Audience 52SE Speakers on stands

Sounds wonderful :)

Regards,

Nikhil

Mark Lanctot
2006-01-14, 10:42
A 1905 Junior Monarch Gramophone

!

Wow, there's vintage equipment and then there's museum equipment!

Fascinating - I assume it still works?

Looks like a mechanical-only device with no possibility of connecting it to your preamp.

I bet yours is the only setup in the world where such a piece of equipment is sitting right next to an SB2.

Just think - grooves on a piece of plastic played back through a mechanical horn amplification process to digital bits flung through thin air.

crooner
2006-01-14, 11:07
wow! that looks like an amazing reciever. you can't beat good quality vintage gear (my parents early '80s B&O music center is another good example)

Indeed! The SX-1980 continously amazes me with it's performance. Sound quality is breathtaking and with a physical package that's unheard of today.

dem
2006-01-14, 12:05
Here's another shot of my "small" bedroom system: :-)
On top of what looks like a Hallicrafters shortwave receiver, is that a Sony D5 Discman, the first portable CD player made, from like 1987? A buddy of mine had one of those. I had its successor, the D7.

crooner
2006-01-14, 12:12
On top of what looks like a Hallicrafters shortwave receiver, is that a Sony D5 Discman, the first portable CD player made, from like 1987? A buddy of mine had one of those. I had its successor, the D7.

Hi dem, the receiver is indeed a 1939 vintage Hallicrafters Sky Buddy S-19R. The CD player on top is Sony's D14 circa 1986, virtually identical to the earlier D5/D50.

Other equipment pictured:

Vandersteen 2C speakers and 2W subwoofer
Pioneer HPM-100 speakers (two stacked pairs)
Audio Research PH-3 phono preamp
Sansui SR-838 turntable with Benz Micro Glider M2 cartridge
Philco 70 cathedral radio
13 inch Viewsonic TV

Pioneer SX-1980 and SX-5590 receivers
Squeezebox 3
Denon DVD-2910 Universal Player
Philips CDR770 Audio CDR recorder
Fry's Electronics ZX-5360 notebook computer

Mark Lanctot
2006-01-14, 13:30
13 inch Viewsonic TV

So this is an AUDIO/video setup. ;-)

Craig
2006-01-14, 16:16
!

Wow, there's vintage equipment and then there's museum equipment!

Fascinating - I assume it still works?

Looks like a mechanical-only device with no possibility of connecting it to your preamp.

I bet yours is the only setup in the world where such a piece of equipment is sitting right next to an SB2.

Just think - grooves on a piece of plastic played back through a mechanical horn amplification process to digital bits flung through thin air.

Yes it still works, here's some clips I made for an ealier thread if you're interested

Side 1 (specially for Python fans)
http://www.the-solicitors-band.co.uk/craig/side1.mp3

Side 2
http://www.the-solicitors-band.co.uk/craig/side2.mp3

Craig

crooner
2006-01-14, 16:26
So this is an AUDIO/video setup. ;-)

LOL, well yes!
The little TV is needed for the DVD-2910's onscreen commands and the occasional late night "Casablanca" rerun!!!!

juiceman
2006-01-15, 12:07
Still playing around with it.

Squeezebox digital out to the Theta Gen VIII DAC with Jitter Jail.

Next tasks:
0) Compare CD transport sound to SB3. So far it has been variable. It could be due to some bad rips even with EAC secure mode

1) Compare supplied wall wart to HP Precision Linear Supply. Does power quality affect digital out.

2) Compare wireless vs. wired under all conditions. Microwaves, phones, other laptops surfing the web

Juiceman

crooner
2006-01-15, 13:29
Awesome setup juiceman!
I have a surplus electronics store nearby. I am gonna check it out for a suitable power supply. The industrial grade HP you have there certainly looks tempting....

ceejay
2006-01-15, 13:39
Juiceman

nice set up - but what are all those CDs doing there? ;-)

Ceejay

juiceman
2006-01-15, 14:04
Been at it in alphabetical order. Right now, I'm on Bruckner. This could take a bit. :)

blakeh
2006-01-17, 00:51
Here is a pic of my main 2 channel system with the SB2:

Adcom GFA-585 Amplifier
Adcom GFP-750 Pre-Amplifier
Denon DCD-1650AR CD Player/Transport
Monarchy Audio Model 33 D/A Converter
Monarchy Audio 24/96 Digital Interface Processor
Denon CDR-W1500 CD Recorder
Denon DP-47f Turntable
Grado Prestige Gold MM Cartridge
Parasound PPH-100 Phono Pre-Amp
Denon TU-1500RD Tuner
Mirage OM-7 Omnipolar Speakers
Panamax 5300 Power Conditioner
0.5 Meter Cardas High Speed Digital/Video Cable (CD-->DIP)
1 Meter Cardas High Speed Digital/Video Cable (DIP-->DAC)
(2) DH Labs Silver Sonic Hand Built Blanced XLR Audio Cables (DAC-->Pre-Amp)
Miscellaneous ProFlex RCA Interconnects
Audioquest SA-30 Speaker Cables

P.S. Pay no attention to the white furniture moving pads under the flexy rack and right speaker. I had to move some things around, and wood floors scratch way too easily!

P.P.S. The small silver speakers on either side of the rack are the rear surrounds for my home theater setup (on the other side of the room).

Skunk
2006-01-17, 08:06
Love the flexy rack. Did you use plumb bobs as your spikes?

eq72521
2006-01-17, 11:04
Everyone has such snazzy setups. I doubt mine would win any awards, except perhaps for taking "downtempo" to the extreme. I'll call it "Squeezebox van der Rohe". The speakers, the particular brand and model of which are not worth mentioning, are small, self powered, and stand upon two of the window sills on the right hand wall. Perhaps one day I'll invest in something that sounds better, at which time the sound system would likely become slightly more prominent in my living room.

notanatheist
2006-01-17, 20:53
It's more important that you enjoy your SB and it's capabilties (even if you are using Altec Lansing speakers). Sure my fancy setup is shown in this thread but my bedroom is a whole different story! My SB2 sits atop an old projection TV cabinet that I'm going to convert to a storage unit for who knows what just yet with some crappy Logitech speakers.

Skunk
2006-01-17, 21:16
My SB2 sits atop an old projection TV cabinet that I'm going to convert to a storage unit for who knows what just yet with some crappy Logitech speakers.

Yeah, I can't wait to 'tweak' my server box. I want to house it in plexiglass, and make the NIC connection light more disco. I also thought about running the pushbutton switch upstairs with two thin wires, to truly shut down/startup.

This is ridiculous, but you can hack a billy big mouth bass with a processor board and linux, and I'd like him to say the album title now playing. I didn't file a feature request yet...

I realize this is completely off-topic, notanathiest, but are you an athiest without a tan, or not an athiest _at all_?

Bart
2006-01-18, 07:49
Here are my Squeezeboxs in my living room and kitchen. In each room there is only a Squeezebox, two speakers, two remotes and an IR sensor, no other technology and no CDs. The CDs are in boxes in the storeroom and the CD covers have been scanned and are kept in a box in the living room for browsing through.
The Squeezebox in the kitchen is connected to the amplifier by huge cables - not ideal. I am still trying to find a position for it, where I can see it from both ends of the room and it is near enough to connect to the amplifier in the next room - hence the rather industrial bracket.

Cleve
2006-01-18, 08:05
Would've wanted to be able to run both FM and streamed music without detaching the cables, but now I run Internet radio in the kitchen instead. The SB3 belongs to the living room where the receiver etc is, but I liked the idea of old and new on a photo... Just tried it out in the kitchen.

Ahhh, a Tivoli!!! Very good taste in radios!!

Cleve
2006-01-18, 08:29
Here's my setup.

rmasson
2006-01-18, 10:34
There are some great setup's out there! Here's mine to throw into the mix. My dedicated 2 channel audio room comprises of the following:

PS Audio GCC-100 Control Amplifier
Paradigm Signature S2 Speakers
HSU VTF-2 MK 2 Subwoofer (not pictured)
Benchmark DAC-1 using the balanced outputs
Sony SCD C2000es SACD/CD Player
Interconnects: RCA-Van den Hul D-102 Mark III, Balanced-PS Audio Statements, Digital Coax-DH Labs, Digital Optical-DH Labs
Speaker Cable: DH Labs Q10
Room Treatments: 2 Bass Traps and 4 Acoustic Panels, both home made.
Squeeze Box 3: wireless connection, with my audio collection ripped in WMA lossless

crooner
2006-01-18, 23:59
Here's my setup.

Hey cleve nice to see a fellow Audiokarma member in this forum. Your McIntosh setup looks awesome with sound to match I am sure!

Best,
croon

crooner
2006-01-19, 00:00
Beautiful setup you have there. Seems like the FL displays match quite nicely.

I was wondering... Any particular reason to prefer WMA Lossless over FLAC?

There are some great setup's out there! Here's mine to throw into the mix. My dedicated 2 channel audio room comprises of the following:

PS Audio GCC-100 Control Amplifier
Paradigm Signature S2 Speakers
HSU VTF-2 MK 2 Subwoofer (not pictured)
Benchmark DAC-1 using the balanced outputs
Sony SCD C2000es SACD/CD Player
Interconnects: RCA-Van den Hul D-102 Mark III, Balanced-PS Audio Statements, Digital Coax-DH Labs, Digital Optical-DH Labs
Speaker Cable: DH Labs Q10
Room Treatments: 2 Bass Traps and 4 Acoustic Panels, both home made.
Squeeze Box 3: wireless connection, with my audio collection ripped in WMA lossless

Cleve
2006-01-19, 06:10
Hey cleve nice to see a fellow Audiokarma member in this forum. Your McIntosh setup looks awesome with sound to match I am sure!

Best,
croon

Hi, Crooner. I saw the user name the other day, and wondered if it was the same "Crooner" from AK. Glad to see you here! The Squeezebox is just a *slight* upgrade from the old Soundfeeder, ay?
:)

I know you use vintage gear like I do - but beware the temptation to use Squeezebox's volume control, whilst cranking the
receiver/pre-amp volume control. See the various "white noise" threads for the reason that's a bad idea. I'm only using the Digital outputs on my SB3 now because of a second occurence the other day.

crooner
2006-01-19, 16:10
The Squeezebox is just a *slight* upgrade from the old Soundfeeder, ay?
:)

Definitely!!!
The soundfeeder I used for relaying MP3s to my tuners. The Squeezebox's lossless FLAC support is a completely different ballgame. Now here's a true hi-fi audio source!

I know you use vintage gear like I do - but beware the temptation to use Squeezebox's volume control, whilst cranking the
receiver/pre-amp volume control. See the various "white noise" threads for the reason that's a bad idea. I'm only using the Digital outputs on my SB3 now because of a second occurence the other day.

I am using the analog outputs with full volume (40 on the display). I regulate the volume at the receiver. No issues thus far. I think the internal DAC and analog stage are very good for the price. They are superior to a 1998 vintage Rega Planet I used to have. That player retailed for $800 and it was Stereophile's component of the year, IIRC.

It's true, ripped music using FLAC sounds less "digital" to my ears. Discs that used to be harsh sound so much better!

Jetlag
2006-01-19, 16:29
Infrant X6 > SB2 > Benchmark DAC1 > Denon AVR-5803 > Paradigm Studio Reference 100s augmented by a Mirage BPS400 SW

Jetlag
2006-01-19, 16:30
Here is a shot of my equipment closet:

dwc
2006-01-19, 18:06
Here's my headphone rig.
-Dan

http://www.sonic.net/dcarwin/images/P1190247.JPG

jonheal
2006-01-19, 18:26
Here's my headphone rig.
-Dan

Mr. Dan, sir,

I don't know if you were aware of this, but there is a small, suspicious-looking person, about 8" tall, hiding on one of your shelves. There are also weird glowy things sticking out of one of your boxes.

It's all very strange.

Cleve
2006-01-19, 20:47
Definitely!!!

I am using the analog outputs with full volume (40 on the display). I regulate the volume at the receiver. No issues thus far. I think the internal DAC and analog stage are very good for the price. They are superior to a 1998 vintage Rega Planet I used to have. That player retailed for $800 and it was Stereophile's component of the year, IIRC.

It's true, ripped music using FLAC sounds less "digital" to my ears. Discs that used to be harsh sound so much better!

That's a good strategy - if you regulate the volume with the receiver or amp, you won't have any worries. It's only if you turn the gain up on the pre-amp or amplifier in order to use the Squeezebox's remote controlled volume, that the documented issue with the "White Noise of Death" could be a potential speaker killer.

And yeah, properly done FLAC sounds great - this is a cheap way of doing the same basic thing that McIntosh's Music Server 300 does.

jonheal
2006-01-20, 06:27
Here's my headphone rig.
-Dan

Dan,

I hope you didn't take offense at my smart-aleckness. I could use a computer desk like yours. Who makes it?

Jon

dwc
2006-01-20, 10:31
No offence taken at all Jon, I was actually trying to think of something funny to say about the little man but haven't been able to think of anything. :)

The computer desk comes from Ikea, it's in the "Robin" line if I remember correctly. I can't find it on the Ikea website though today.

-Dan

dwc
2006-01-20, 10:51
I should have cleaned up first...

Doors closed:
http://www.sonic.net/dcarwin/images/stereo1.jpg

Doors open:
http://www.sonic.net/dcarwin/images/stereo2.jpg

-Dan

nicky6
2006-01-20, 13:04
rmasson,

a beauuuutiful setup you've got there! Clean looking, tidy and deep thinking in how to place the stuff. WOuld've loved to have that kind of setup myself! :)

tomsi42
2006-01-20, 14:52
I should have cleaned up first...

Doors closed:
http://www.sonic.net/dcarwin/images/stereo1.jpg

Doors open:
http://www.sonic.net/dcarwin/images/stereo2.jpg

-Dan

Not a bachelor, I guess...

Tom

CardinalFang
2006-01-20, 15:05
There are some great setup's out there! Here's mine to throw into the mix.

Let me guess - no children or pets?

Seriously, that's a fantastic listening space and set-up. My system is in the kitchen right now and looks like this:

from the top

Pink Triangle/Mission 774/Ortofon 540
Modified SqueezeBox 2 (rehoused with linear PSU)
Copland CDA 28 Hybrid Amp
Copland CD 266 CD Player
Musical Fidelity X-Dac 3
Pure 701 DAB Tuner
Rega Ela Speakers

The SB feeds into the XDac via optical. Can't remember what the cables are, but they're green and chunky! Iguess I failed my audiophile test right there...

I also just sold a Lecson Tuner, it was a 70's classic and I'm already regretting it...

dwc
2006-01-20, 15:34
Not a bachelor, I guess...
Tom

So very far from it... Currently sporting three smurfs @ 4, 5, and 7 years of age. (the youngest is in the reflection).

-Dan

tomsi42
2006-01-20, 15:43
This is my system:

Squeezebox 2
----
Yamaha CDX-1060 CD-player
Rotel RC-1070 Pre-amp
Rotel RB_1070 Power amp
Technics ST-Z25 tuner

Dynabel Exact speakers
Kimber Cable 4TC speaker cables
Supra signal cables

The Electrocompaniet ECD-1 DAC is just a guest and unfortunately leaves after the weekend. It will be sorely missed :(

tomsi42
2006-01-20, 15:44
So very far from it... Currently sporting three smurfs @ 4, 5, and 7 years of age. (the youngest is in the reflection).

-Dan

Good to see that family life and sound quality can go together. As you can see from my post, I am a bachelor...

Tom

Skunk
2006-01-20, 18:39
No offence taken at all Jon, I was actually trying to think of something funny to say about the little man but haven't been able to think of anything. :)

I was going to say, "uh, I hope the little man was the one listening to Def Leopard", but I've never been considered funny.

ezkcdude
2006-01-20, 19:06
Finally got everything in place now.

dwc
2006-01-20, 20:35
I was going to say, "uh, I hope the little man was the one listening to Def Leopard", but I've never been considered funny.

Yeah, I saw that when I posted and winced. I forgot to play something cool for the photo. The player was on random. I've ripped all the cd's I own, even the ones I bought to replace albums that came out circa '81.

But for the record, High 'N' Dry is a solid rock album. This was way before anybody was pouring some sugar on me. :)

-Dan

Skunk
2006-01-20, 22:14
I forgot to play something cool for the photo.

It wasn't as bad as Pink Martini Veronique :)

Skunk
2006-01-20, 23:20

My girlfriend said she likes your speakers ezkcdude. Random but true :)

edit: I should also mention it was when you posted last time, and I never asked her to look at the screen!

agentsmith
2006-01-20, 23:20
This is for a smallish living room as I am living in Hong Kong.

System includes:

* Slim SB2 - Stock
* Buffalo LANStation - 160GB + 200GB ExternalUSB Drive
* IBM Thinkpad T30 running SlimServer
* Naim Nait 5i Integrated Amp
* Harbeth LS3/5A - Also have a pair of Celestion A1, thinking of getting a pair of PMC LB1
* Pioneer DV47A Universal Player
* Pioneer DVR530H DVR
* Good Old Panasonic 30" tube TV that refuses to die. Won't make way for that new flat screen

As you can see from second picture, space is dominated by wife's precious Precious moments collection. Compromises....

ipy
2006-01-20, 23:39
Integrated the SB3 into my music system two weeks ago. The convenience of accessing my whole music library through the remote control is truly amazing. The sound quality of the SB3 vs. my Rotel CDP is at least in par. The only downside is the Slimserver software (6.2.1) can be a bit buggy.

Cheers :-)

Pic of SB3 & the rest of system from the "sweet spot"
http://cgim.audiogon.com/i/vs/s/f/1137824669.jpg
Closeup of the SB3 unit
http://cgim.audiogon.com/i/vs/i/f/1137822311.jpg

crooner
2006-01-21, 01:00
Gorgeous system ipy!

ipy
2006-01-21, 02:32
Gorgeous system ipy!

....... & I have to admit I 'm lucky that the SB3 works very well with the rest of the system. I have been a sceptic about digital audio until now. In fact, I feel the SB3 sounds less "digital" & more natural than my CDP.

Cheers

crooner
2006-01-21, 02:58
Absolutely!
I find the same with my SB. Music sounds more "organic" less dependent on the machine, more dettached from it, so to speak.

ezkcdude
2006-01-21, 07:21
My girlfriend said she likes your speakers ezkcdude. Random but true :)

edit: I should also mention it was when you posted last time, and I never asked her to look at the screen!

Thanks! This reminds me of a funny story. I went to my 10-year high school reunion a few years ago, and one of the guys I really hated in high school came up to me, and told me that his wife (who was there and was really hot, of course) once looked through our senior yearbook, and told him I was the cutest guy in their class! That was one of the coolest moments in my life.

PhilNYC
2006-01-21, 08:39
Here's my setup:

Squeezebox 2 (w/Elpac linear power supply)
Dodson DA-218 DAC
Blue Circle BC3000mkII tubed preamp
Blue Circle BC202 hybrid stereo amp
Focus Audio FS-888 speakers
Audience adeptResponse power conditioner
Acoustic Zen Absolute interconnects
Audience powerChords
TAOC AS-4 equipment racks

ezkcdude
2006-01-21, 08:47
Yeah, that's decent :)

Phil, what do you think about the sound of those woofers? Eventually, I'm going to DIY a 3-way, and have always thought about using Eton woofers (either 2 8" or 1 11" or 12").

PhilNYC
2006-01-21, 08:52
ezkc...it's hard to really isolate the woofer from the rest of the speaker, but I really do like the speakers a lot (disclaimer: I am a dealer for Focus Audio). The bass performance is very fast and extended, easily portraying the differences in electronics/gear upstream (even power cords! ;-)). Note that these Eton woofers are custom designed by Focus with a "heat pipe" design for the phase plug...the design is meant to help disperse heat from the voicecoil, improving the overall sonic dispersion of the driver.

klausbgva
2006-01-21, 09:22
Small post of my slimbox and the custom built furniture to hide all the cabeling. Makes the slimbox really look good and has great WAF.
I will post some of the secondary non-audiophile boxes when I get a chance to take decent pictures.

My setup

B&O 9500 AMP
B&O AV 9000 TV, VCR and Dollby prologic processor
Speakers 2x B&O Bolabs 8000 (each 2x90W built-in amp)
Souround 2x B&O Bolabs 6000 (60W)

Klaus

Mike Anderson
2006-02-04, 20:59
Music in FLAC on 500GB LaCie hard drive ->
Squeezebox 2, digital out ->
Benchmark DAC1, balanced outputs ->
Pathos Logos integrated amp ->
Speltz anti-cables, bi-wired ->
Magnepan 1.6QRs.

http://static.flickr.com/25/95506015_927d70d283_o.jpg

jonheal
2006-02-05, 04:42
Music in FLAC on 500GB LaCie hard drive ->
Squeezebox 2, digital out ->
Benchmark DAC1, balanced outputs ->
Pathos Logos integrated amp ->
Speltz anti-cables, bi-wired ->
Magnepan 1.6QRs.

http://static.flickr.com/25/95506015_927d70d283_o.jpg
Ever misfire and stick a dart in those maggies?

Pale Blue Ego
2006-02-05, 07:08
Speaker stands that meet the WAF is likely an almost insurmountable task - I'll probably have to invent a Klingon cloaking device!

Just a suggestion, but you might try a concrete garden supply shop that carries birdbaths, statuary, etc. I found some cast concrete pillars of intricate design that were superb as speaker stands. Tinted with stain, the WAF was through the roof.

Pale Blue Ego
2006-02-05, 07:25
The speakers, the particular brand and model of which are not worth mentioning, are small, self powered, and stand upon two of the window sills on the right hand wall.

LOL, they're Altec Lansings, probably the ones with the dual-1" drivers. Actually, they don't sound too bad for the money; I've got a set in the garage.

nicketynick
2006-02-05, 07:54
Just a suggestion, but you might try a concrete garden supply shop that carries birdbaths, statuary, etc. I found some cast concrete pillars of intricate design that were superb as speaker stands. Tinted with stain, the WAF was through the roof.

That is an absolutely brilliant solution. I'll have to see what I can find!

Pale Blue Ego
2006-02-06, 07:34
Using the superb Acoustic Energy Aego2 powered 2.1 system. It's fabulous for small rooms and/or nearfield listening.

eq72521
2006-02-06, 10:28
LOL, they're Altec Lansings, probably the ones with the dual-1" drivers. Actually, they don't sound too bad for the money; I've got a set in the garage.

You're the second person to make that call. Yes, they're the model with dual 1" drivers on the satellites. I don't think they sound too bad either, certainly not for $30 (in 2004). They're the only thing I could find that will sit on my skinny window sills (about 1 1/2" deep), which make them extremely unobtrusive. You don't even see any speakers in the living room when the curtains are drawn.

Still, when I have the money I do intend to purchase the Swans multimedia speakers that have been mentioned on these forums a few times. I'll have to give up on the visual unobtrusiveness, but it's probably worth it. :)

I have hearing issues already (tinnitus) and my listening environment is almost always in competition with two young boys, so going all out for the best audio quality seems a misallocation of funds.

jonheal
2006-02-06, 10:35
As you can see from second picture, space is dominated by wife's precious Precious moments collection. Compromises....
Oh, lordy...

I reckon turning up the bass is NOT ALLOWED in your household.

Mark Lanctot
2006-02-06, 11:09
You're the second person to make that call. Yes, they're the model with dual 1" drivers on the satellites. I don't think they sound too bad either, certainly not for $30 (in 2004).

Altec Lansing ATP3, right? They were my first "good" set of computer speakers. They have a 4" midrange on the base of the speakers, firing down and ported above.

They're much better than the crappy plastic white boxes that came with computers at the time, but after a while I thought that was what was holding me back and upgraded to Logitech Z-560s. That wasn't much of an upgrade, which either means the Logitech's aren't that great for the price, or the ATP3 is quite good for the price...The whole thing led me to abandon computer audio in favour of home theatre audio, hence the Squeezebox.

I'm using the ATP3 with an SB2 as an alarm clock in the bedroom. Sounds OK except for the loud ground loop the subwoofer has developed over the years.

mamsterla
2006-02-06, 14:52
Integrated the SB3 into my music system two weeks ago. The convenience of accessing my whole music library through the remote control is truly amazing. The sound quality of the SB3 vs. my Rotel CDP is at least in par. The only downside is the Slimserver software (6.2.1) can be a bit buggy.

Cheers :-)

Pic of SB3 & the rest of system from the "sweet spot"
http://cgim.audiogon.com/i/vs/s/f/1137824669.jpg
Closeup of the SB3 unit
http://cgim.audiogon.com/i/vs/i/f/1137822311.jpg

Notice that you have a PS Audio PS1000 there. Did it make a big difference to your setup? I have filtering and 1 isolation transformer right now and was thinking at regeneration over time. Did you choose to run your amps from it or only your source equipment?

eq72521
2006-02-07, 11:54
Altec Lansing ATP3, right? They were my first "good" set of computer speakers. They have a 4" midrange on the base of the speakers, firing down and ported above.

They're much better than the crappy plastic white boxes that came with computers at the time, but after a while I thought that was what was holding me back and upgraded to Logitech Z-560s. That wasn't much of an upgrade, which either means the Logitech's aren't that great for the price, or the ATP3 is quite good for the price...The whole thing led me to abandon computer audio in favour of home theatre audio, hence the Squeezebox.

I'm using the ATP3 with an SB2 as an alarm clock in the bedroom. Sounds OK except for the loud ground loop the subwoofer has developed over the years.

Actually, the model number on mine is 2100. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005S8KY/103-0940074-5299015

They have the same ground loop problem though, intermittently. Damned irritating, although at the moment the bass module is quite out of the way so I rarely hear it.

jonheal
2006-02-08, 06:11
Here's our rig:

* SqueezeBox 3 - wired connection
* "Vintage" ADCOM GFA-535 amplifier and GTP-400 preamp/tuner
* Dayton Audio interconnects
* DIY speaker cables
* PSB Stratus Bronze loudspeakers with custom bases
* Coffee table stolen from my wife
* Various objects d'art
* Moody lighting

SlimServer's running on a Windows box in the basement. Our FLACs are on a drive controlled by a Linksys NSLU2, also in the basement. I refer to the ADCOM components as "vintage" because I purchased them way back in 1987. It's a little funny (and depressing) to think that when I bought that stuff, the creators of the SqueezeBox were practically still crapping in their pants.

You can follow this link to some ramblings and more pictures of the system on our web site: http://www.theheals.org/jon/hi_fi.asp

Kyle
2006-02-08, 07:48
Very nice, Jon. Zen-like in its simplicity, except for those whopping speakers. Did you have to drill a hole in the floor to hardwire?

jonheal
2006-02-08, 07:55
Very nice, Jon. Zen-like in its simplicity, except for those whopping speakers. Did you have to drill a hole in the floor to hardwire?
Thanks. I do like clean and simple. Things don't stay that way around here for long though. Fortunately, the floors came "pre-drilled," courtesy of the previous owner.

jonheal
2006-02-08, 17:08
Those are nice looking speakers. Where did you get the parts? Did you make the stands, too?

ezkcdude
2006-02-08, 17:48
Those are nice looking speakers. Where did you get the parts? Did you make the stands, too?

All the components were from http://www.madisound.com, including the 2-way crossover which they designed using LEAP. The tweeters are inverted titanium domes (Focal), and the woofers are by Scan-Speak. I used 3/4" MDF and 1/4" oak plywood for veneer, both of which I got at Home Depot. The stands are made by B&K, and are filled with sand, although I should probably fill them up with lead shot. Thanks, for the compliment!

John Stimson
2006-02-08, 23:59
So many great looking systems/listening areas. You folks score big points for interior design. I'm almost ashamed to post my low-aesthetic bachelor pad system. However, as Han Solo says, "She might not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Top to bottom of rack:
Technics SL-D2 turntable
Squeezebox2
Classe CAV-75 6x75W amp
Home-brew preamp & active crossover
MSB "Nelson" Link III DAC
FM tuner
Cassette deck

Top to bottom of speaker:
Hippo
Focal TC90Tdx tweeter
Vifa P13WH midrange
Audio Concepts AC10 woofer

John Stimson
2006-02-09, 00:01
A close up of the core of the system:

Mike Anderson
2006-02-09, 00:33
Ever misfire and stick a dart in those maggies?

Naaaah. Ever since I got my SB, I have my ass pretty much permanently glued to that chair. It was amazing enough that I got up to take the photo.

jonheal
2006-02-09, 03:02
Top to bottom of rack:
Technics SL-D2 turntable
Squeezebox2
Classe CAV-75 6x75W amp
Home-brew preamp & active crossover
MSB "Nelson" Link III DAC
FM tuner
Cassette deck

Top to bottom of speaker:
Hippo
Focal TC90Tdx tweeter
Vifa P13WH midrange
Audio Concepts AC10 woofer
I'm very curious about your active crossover. I need one. Did you design it yourself? From a plan? Kit?

Frode
2006-02-09, 03:32
Here's mine.

Frode

Skunk
2006-02-09, 06:09
Here's mine.

Frode

Are those AER mk1's in oris horns? <jealous>

Frode
2006-02-09, 12:24
Are those AER mk1's in oris horns? <jealous>

No, they are Lowther DX3. When I bought the horns, the norwegian dealer had a pair of secondhand Lowthers that I got for a reasonable price. Sometimes in the future, I hopefully get a pair of AER's.

Frode

jep
2006-02-09, 13:35
My kitchen setup which I think looks rather nice.

The setup is maybe not for audiophiles but hey - it is in my kitchen with noise from fridge, cooking etc.

Horizons
2006-02-09, 13:51
John - VERY nice setup. I was looking at the hardware when I noticed that awesome Hackett poster on the wall. Where did you snag that? I have a few Hackett posters but would kill for a Guitar Noir as that is one of my favorite albums.

GOOD TASTE John!

John Stimson
2006-02-09, 14:38
Thanks! I got the Guitar Noir poster by mail order from Hackett's merchandise company in the UK. The poster tube got folded in half in the mail, badly wrinkling the middle of the poster. I'm sorry to say, when I asked for a replacement, there were no more. Ironing the poster was only partially successful.

notanatheist
2006-02-09, 20:08
That's a nice looking setup Frode. I have to ask though, did you get the picture above your setup from IKEA? :-) It's the one I have in my bathroom!

pablolie
2006-02-09, 21:19
The SB connects into the digital input in the Accuphae DP-65v CD player (and in this case DA converter), but I have to say the SB itself does an admirable job when fed directly into a regular audio input on the E-306v amp.

In the end, the turntable and the stuff below is going to disappear as I finish digitizing all analog media. But I have to say the setup has proven itself handy at cracking stubborn protection codes the record companies try to keep inflcting upon us - I *will* get my 256 kbps MP3s. They all go onto a 500G mirrored network drive. From there it's off to the SB. This summer I'll set up a SB up in the garden, as well. That will be utterly sweet.

Frode
2006-02-10, 00:58
That's a nice looking setup Frode. I have to ask though, did you get the picture above your setup from IKEA? :-) It's the one I have in my bathroom!

Yes, IKEA is nice. Less money on interior, more on music.:-)

Frode

Jeff Moore
2006-02-13, 19:42
It's a work in progress, but here's a recent snapshot of the modest
clock-radio I have the Squeezebox plugged into the back of.

jbm0
2006-02-14, 00:40
It's a work in progress, but here's a recent snapshot of the modest
clock-radio I have the Squeezebox plugged into the back of.
That attempted post (mine) didn't work very well, did it -- where's the picture?

I'd assumed that most posters were using good ol' email instead of this newfangled webbified forum interface, and that incoming emailed posts with images would just have the images stripped and stored by the gateway, with a link to the stored copy of the image appended to the text body of the post. This seems not to be the the case here.

I tried attaching my snapshot to the body of the quoted message above and mailed it in as always. After a delay for administration, it did come back out to the email list, picture and all, albeit with quirky changes to its MIME structure; but I see no sign of the picture here at the web interface.

So I've broken down and subscribed to this aforementioned newfangled webby forum-a-macallit, and I'll try to post my picture this way. Jeez, a lot of work for a wee snapshot with an even more wee Squeezebox3 buried among the other miscellaneous devices.

abdomen
2006-02-14, 00:43
Wow, jbm0, those speakers are something else! I'll bet they sound incredible playing brass instrument recordings. What make are they?

hal9000
2006-02-14, 16:18
That attempted post (mine) didn't work very well, did it -- where's the picture?

I'd assumed that most posters were using good ol' email instead of this newfangled webbified forum interface, and that incoming emailed posts with images would just have the images stripped and stored by the gateway, with a link to the stored copy of the image appended to the text body of the post. This seems not to be the the case here.

I tried attaching my snapshot to the body of the quoted message above and mailed it in as always. After a delay for administration, it did come back out to the email list, picture and all, albeit with quirky changes to its MIME structure; but I see no sign of the picture here at the web interface.

So I've broken down and subscribed to this aforementioned newfangled webby forum-a-macallit, and I'll try to post my picture this way. Jeez, a lot of work for a wee snapshot with an even more wee Squeezebox3 buried among the other miscellaneous devices.

your poor neighbors! ;) nice set up!

-hal

PhilNYC
2006-02-14, 20:07
jbm...nice setup! Asides from the Avant Gardes and the Hydra 8, what's the rest of the stuff? Is that a TacT room correction unit?

jbm0
2006-02-15, 00:22
your poor neighbors! ;) nice set up!

-hal
Hey, just because it CAN go crazy-loud doesn't mean I have to play it that way... if everything cruises at some tiny fraction of its maximum output, it's all the more clean and unstressed and, um, nuanced-like.

Okay, sometimes things get a little loud. Mostly when a friend comes over and wants it, or I want to hear a big-ass symphonic piece at its natural volume. But usually I'm actually pretty restrained.

No, really.

jbm0
2006-02-15, 00:57
jbm...nice setup! Asides from the Avant Gardes and the Hydra 8, what's the rest of the stuff? Is that a TacT room correction unit?
Indeed it is. An RCS 2.2X taming the room and handling crossover/time-delay issues, and a pair of TacT S2150s (one for the wooferless Duos, one for the TacT corner woofers). The TacT W210s (actually made by Mark Lyon in Austin, Texas), properly placed in the corners and then smoothed by the RCS, produce much better-controlled bass than any Avantgarde subs I've heard. (Okay, I've only heard one pair. But better than those. Of course, I've never heard the Basshorns. But I can't afford those. And anyway, my girlfriend would probably go postal if I tried to drag them into our living room.) The Avantgarde folk (with the intervention of Jim Smith in Atlanta) were willing to sell me Duo Omegas without woofers, and even make those nice little custom stands, kind of like scaled-down Trio stands.

Interestingly, just to illustrate the pace of the craziness here, the Hydra 8 has already been whisked away. I'd bought a Running Springs Audio power conditioner to use with the separate, less-esoteric TV/movie system, but figured I'd just give it a listen with the TacT/Avantgarde setup.

The TV is not getting it back. I was shocked by the difference -- the whole system was so much more... light on its feet. Damn.

Oh, and there's another baby Hydra there with just the RCS plugged into it, since the RCS doesn't play well with others. Even in a presumably-isolated outlet of a bigger power filter, it pees digital noise in the other kids' pool so badly everything just sounds better if you pen it up away from the others.

Oh, and the Squeezebox (back on topic!) is drinking from a Bolder Cable linear. (Which didn't make that much difference to my ears when it was feeding an SB2, but the linear-plus-SB3 combination seems to sing, in terms of digital-output quality out the RCA.) I can only surmise that the only published internal difference, some linear instead of switching voltage regulator, is not actually such a minor thing.

You asked; that'll teach you.

ianjohnson_nz
2006-02-15, 01:58
I've posted this picture before, but it's a nice simple setup. I'm in NZ, so 13 hours ahead of the UK. Nothing beats BBC Radio 4 show PM first thing in the morning while I'm feeding my infant son.

AlienBBC, take a bow (off topic I know, but I can't take a photo of it, and it deserves just as much adoration as any setup).

Regards, Ian

PS No, I wouldn't normally have a train on top. But my son's name is Thomas, so no prizes for guessing his favourite toys!

Edit
PPS I've got a much better sounding system in the lounge, but using internet radio I'd rather not put it on the amp for fear of spiking it (occasionally get nasty noise during internet radio playback). So it's a glorified kitchen radio most of the time.

P Floding
2006-02-15, 02:52
Indeed it is. An RCS 2.2X taming the room and handling crossover/time-delay issues, and a pair of TacT S2150s (one for the wooferless Duos, one for the TacT corner woofers). The TacT W210s (actually made by Mark Lyon in Austin, Texas), properly placed in the corners and then smoothed by the RCS, produce much better-controlled bass than any Avantgarde subs I've heard. (Okay, I've only heard one pair. But better than those. Of course, I've never heard the Basshorns. But I can't afford those. And anyway, my girlfriend would probably go postal if I tried to drag them into our living room.) The Avantgarde folk (with the intervention of Jim Smith in Atlanta) were willing to sell me Duo Omegas without woofers, and even make those nice little custom stands, kind of like scaled-down Trio stands.

Interestingly, just to illustrate the pace of the craziness here, the Hydra 8 has already been whisked away. I'd bought a Running Springs Audio power conditioner to use with the separate, less-esoteric TV/movie system, but figured I'd just give it a listen with the TacT/Avantgarde setup.

The TV is not getting it back. I was shocked by the difference -- the whole system was so much more... light on its feet. Damn.

Oh, and there's another baby Hydra there with just the RCS plugged into it, since the RCS doesn't play well with others. Even in a presumably-isolated outlet of a bigger power filter, it pees digital noise in the other kids' pool so badly everything just sounds better if you pen it up away from the others.

Oh, and the Squeezebox (back on topic!) is drinking from a Bolder Cable linear. (Which didn't make that much difference to my ears when it was feeding an SB2, but the linear-plus-SB3 combination seems to sing, in terms of digital-output quality out the RCA.) I can only surmise that the only published internal difference, some linear instead of switching voltage regulator, is not actually such a minor thing.

jmb0,

Nice system!
Never heard that kind of horn-stuff in my life! I've had electrostats, and normal dynamic, but never horns.

As an owner of an RCS 2.2x I'm most interested in what you think of the S2150s. I also have some tips on how to bring the 2.2x to a whole new level without paying much. (Did you have your 2.2x modified, BTW?)

Jeff Moore
2006-02-15, 14:32
[back to the regular email gateway from the web thing]

2006-02-15-04:52:18 P Floding:
> Nice system!
> Never heard that kind of horn-stuff in my life! I've had electrostats,
> and normal dynamic, but never horns.

I hadn't heard them until this year; just heard enough *about* them that
they seemed to be on my must-audition list. I suggested to my
girlfriend that the next time we were both in Atlanta, we should arrange
to listen to Jim Smith's demo system. The way I put it to her was that
they're kind of ridiculous in many ways (size, appearance, expense), but
if and only if they turned out to be so compelling those things ceased
to seem to matter much, they'd be worth considering seriously.

After we both listened to them, she began to speak of when, rather than
if, there'd be over-the-top horned objects in our living room.

The only time I'd listened to horns before that was some Klipschhorns
sometime in the late 70s... but their dynamic characteristics (whatever
their other difficulties) made a lasting impression on my young ears.

> As an owner of an RCS 2.2x I'm most interested in what you think of the
> S2150s. I also have some tips on how to bring the 2.2x to a whole new
> level without paying much. (Did you have your 2.2x modified, BTW?)

Well, a couple of years ago when I was first auditioning the RCS, I was
on the verge of sending it back because its analog outputs via the D/A
card sounded unpleasantly hard to my ears... but some other TacT users
convinced me I hadn't really heard it unless I heard it with a TacT amp,
too. They were right. The 2150 is one of the best-sounding D/A
converters I've ever heard (that subtle, raise-the-neck-hairs immediacy
and detail, but without ripping your ears off), and, oh yeah, it puts
out enough power to drive speakers too. The S2150 stayed, the D/A card
went back. (Interestingly, TacT's A/D card, for getting analog sources
into the box, sounds great.)

As for mods... so far the only significant mod I have in my 2.2x is one
of Anthony (Aberdeen in Vegas)'s drop-in switching power supplies --
which actually far outperforms the external linear I'd been using for
awhile. That and ditching the cheezily-filtered Power Entry Module for
a direct-wired one, since I'm using far better power filtering outside
the device. Some Wolff carbon-fiber-magic power cords calmed things
down a bit, too.

-Jeff

Jon
2006-02-15, 20:58
Not sure this setup qualifies for the Audiophile forum ... it is certainly not an Audiophile setup! Though I have to admit, I am pretty impressed at how good the squeezebox makes the old powered speakers from my very first computer (a 66 MHz 486; the speakers are the only piece I kept) sound ... a nice setup for my home office. The books on the bookshelf do a nice job of hiding all the wires ...

PhilNYC
2006-02-16, 12:00

On the contrary, I love hearing about this stuff!

Am a little surprised to see you drive the Avant Gardes with so much power...usually you see them being driven by little SET amps. I do have a customer that has the Duo 2.2's driving them with a Bel Canto eVo2, tho, and it sounded quite good...but he had a Blue Circle AG3000 tubed preamp, so it took whatever edge might have been there off.

Also very interesting comment about the Running Springs vs. Hydra 8. I played around with one of the older Hydra 8's, and thought it was quite good. FWIW, I am using the Audience adeptResponse with great results...

P Floding
2006-02-17, 17:20
[back to the regular email gateway from the web thing]

2006-02-15-04:52:18 P Floding:
> Nice system!
> Never heard that kind of horn-stuff in my life! I've had electrostats,
> and normal dynamic, but never horns.

I hadn't heard them until this year; just heard enough *about* them that
they seemed to be on my must-audition list. I suggested to my
girlfriend that the next time we were both in Atlanta, we should arrange
to listen to Jim Smith's demo system. The way I put it to her was that
they're kind of ridiculous in many ways (size, appearance, expense), but
if and only if they turned out to be so compelling those things ceased
to seem to matter much, they'd be worth considering seriously.

After we both listened to them, she began to speak of when, rather than
if, there'd be over-the-top horned objects in our living room.

The only time I'd listened to horns before that was some Klipschhorns
sometime in the late 70s... but their dynamic characteristics (whatever
their other difficulties) made a lasting impression on my young ears.

> As an owner of an RCS 2.2x I'm most interested in what you think of the
> S2150s. I also have some tips on how to bring the 2.2x to a whole new
> level without paying much. (Did you have your 2.2x modified, BTW?)

Well, a couple of years ago when I was first auditioning the RCS, I was
on the verge of sending it back because its analog outputs via the D/A
card sounded unpleasantly hard to my ears... but some other TacT users
convinced me I hadn't really heard it unless I heard it with a TacT amp,
too. They were right. The 2150 is one of the best-sounding D/A
converters I've ever heard (that subtle, raise-the-neck-hairs immediacy
and detail, but without ripping your ears off), and, oh yeah, it puts
out enough power to drive speakers too. The S2150 stayed, the D/A card
went back. (Interestingly, TacT's A/D card, for getting analog sources
into the box, sounds great.)

As for mods... so far the only significant mod I have in my 2.2x is one
of Anthony (Aberdeen in Vegas)'s drop-in switching power supplies --
which actually far outperforms the external linear I'd been using for
awhile. That and ditching the cheezily-filtered Power Entry Module for
a direct-wired one, since I'm using far better power filtering outside
the device. Some Wolff carbon-fiber-magic power cords calmed things
down a bit, too.

-Jeff

Jeff,

I'm waiting for delivery of the Aberdeen power supply. In the meantime I have put the TacT (alone) on a simple mains filter, which made a massive difference. Most probably due to the SB3 power supply messing up the mains power.

However, the massive improvement I was talking about comes from using SST (Super Silver Treatment) on most of the connectors inside the 2.2x. Internal power connectors, and the fuse, as well as the plug-in cards' connectors, and the flat cable connectors. This made a HUGE difference! Beware, though, that you will have to redo your room measurements after treatment!

Also, don't do the treatment unless you are a real DIY'er. I don't know what future clean-up of the contacts may be required -if any.

After these tweaks I now use a flat target curve, apart from a mild lift under 100 Hz. The top end sounds natural now, when flat! (A flat target curve used to give an over-bright top end.)

jasenj1
2006-02-18, 18:57
Here's mine.

The gear (top to bottom):
HK AVR 230 (http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_3/harman-kardon-avr-230-receiver-8-2004.html)
Toshiba D-R4 (http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/dvr/product.asp?model=D-R4)
Panasonic DVD-A110 (http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/Reviews/Panasonic_DVD/index.html)
XBox (http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/xbox/)
Cable box

Speakers:
Paradigm 3se MkII Fronts (pdf) (http://www.paradigm.ca/Website/CommonMain/Archives/Paradigm/MiniMkII_3seMkII.pdf)
Paradigm ADP-170 Surrounds (http://www.paradigm.ca/Website/SiteParadigmProduct/ParadigmModels/Performance/PerformanceSpecs.htm)

- Jasen.

pablolie
2006-02-19, 23:02
Cleaned up the system some, next week I'll clean up the cabling. Phew.

My trusty Accuphase pieces up top, the SQB3 is feeding into the DP-65v optical input. The speakers are tuned three-way German speakers, in fact tuned in the Institute of Psychoacoustics in TUM Munich.

The SQB3 is great.

crooner
2006-02-19, 23:49
Here's an update of my system (speakers not shown)

I have just added a Lite Audio DAC60.

Cheers,
crooner

ezkcdude
2006-02-20, 07:19
Crooner, what are your initial impressions of the DAC 60?

crooner
2006-02-20, 08:38
Hi ezkcdude:

I like it very much. Definite improvement over the SB3's internal DAC and buffer. Midrange is more laid back, less forward. Voices have a more natural "texture" to them. I'm a happy camper!

ezkcdude
2006-02-20, 11:46
That's nice to hear (pun intended).

funkstar
2006-02-20, 14:46
Nothing special really. Hooked up to a Pioneer surround reciever along with my DVD player, DVB-T set top box, and Ria Karma dock. This feeds a set of Sony bookshelf surround speakers. Not exactly audiophile, but it works for me. :)

funkstar
2006-02-20, 14:49
Second SB in the bedroom is simply hooked up to a set of Harmon Kardon Sound Sticks. decent for the bedroom and they look good :)

jtholley03@adelphia.net
2006-02-22, 16:08
Levinson 333 amp

Proceed PAV with Black Gate on power supply - sitting on 70 lb air isolation fully sheilded platform. Top is 40 lb fully shileded also. Half super super balls in the middle supporting PAV.

SB2

Lapis to SB2. Custom made balanced solid silver IC's to 333

My homemade speakers. ES Ribbon, Focal 7K Audiom, Focal 15 Audiom. Sold copper foil air coils, high end everything on crossovers and solid silver wiring.

Whole rack has each shelf shielded also.

Now just patiently waiting on Wayne to build me a power supply.

ezkcdude
2006-02-22, 16:29
Levinson 333 amp

Proceed PAV with Black Gate on power supply - sitting on 70 lb air isolation fully sheilded platform. Top is 40 lb fully shileded also. Half super super balls in the middle supporting PAV.

SB2

Lapis to SB2. Custom made balanced solid silver IC's to 333

My homemade speakers. ES Ribbon, Focal 7K Audiom, Focal 15 Audiom. Sold copper foil air coils, high end everything on crossovers and solid silver wiring.

Whole rack has each shelf shielded also.

Now just patiently waiting on Wayne to build me a power supply.

Nice speakers! I especially like the ports. What materials did you use for the cabinet/veneer?

coldslabs
2006-02-22, 17:37
Definitely not an audiophile setup, but I like it, so I thought I'd add it anyway.

Squeezebox 1 with upgraded screen
NAD 7120
Avance Epsilon 930 speakers

jtholley03@adelphia.net
2006-02-22, 18:47
Each speaker has 7 sheet of MDF in them. They are veneered with oak. They don't look pretty up close since the oak is bubbly from 10 years of contact cement lossening.

Each speaker weighs 350 lbs each.

The vents are Onken Bass Vents tuned to 3 different fequencies.

They are very efficient, open and accurate. Originally had Focal TK120? tweeters that made my ears bleed.

Set out to build something like a Grand Slam or Utopia speaker. I listened to the MAXX's on a top of the line system two months ago and I like my speakers better, even though they don't have the 12 on top of the 15.

jonheal
2006-02-22, 19:15
Each speaker weighs 350 lbs each.
Holy Shitake mushrooms!!

ezkcdude
2006-02-22, 19:41
Holy Shitake mushooms!!

My sentiments exactly. I would have thought they are braced with lead plates :)

mamsterla
2006-02-23, 14:40
Though it seems they are built with high quality components, it seems like they sit low - not sure where ear height is, but I would hope that it close to the vertical dispersion of that ribbon tweeter. They also seem close to the back wall, though they are front ported.

What did you use to design the crossover?

-MA

jtholley03@adelphia.net
2006-02-24, 20:28
They are 40" tall. It is the seemingly distorted 17mm lense I took the picture with. Print the picture out and hold it about 6" from your face and they will look normal.

Joe D'Appolito xovers, then modified by Andre at E-Speakers for the Aurm Cantus G2 Ribbons.

Tweets are ear level when sitting on the couch.

O forgot to mention the 3 sheets of Black Hole 5 and 3 sheets of regular black hole in each also :) I will try to take some pictures of the xovers sometime and get them on here.

hal9000
2006-02-26, 23:10
My two systems...The familysys is the SB2 with the Sony STRDA7100ES receiver, BA VR970 main speakers, BA VR10 center, Samsung 70" DLP, Samsung Directv HDTV and TIVO and the CAVS Karaoke (god I suck at singing). Monster THX cables end to end and the Monster 2000HKII power supply.

The office sys has the SB2 hooked up to the Sony STRDA5ES, Axiom M22 Bookshelves, Axiom EP175 sub, Samsung Directv HDTV, Sony TIVO, and many gaming consoles. Monster THX cables end to end and the Monster 2000HKII power supply.

Definitely not total geeked out audiophile quality (I wish it was)...but close and it all sounds incredible (now that my ground loop is stomped).

-hal

subnet
2006-03-04, 07:56
squeezebox v3, hooked up to an ecler nuo3 mixer...

greets from vienna!

Rob A.
2006-03-04, 08:38
The books on the bookshelf do a nice job of hiding all the wires ...
The books may hide the wires, but the speakers hide the geek. I see a copy of "The Physics of Star Trek" just peeking out of the bookshelf on the right. :)

.anacron

Patrick Dixon
2006-03-04, 10:28
Here's a photo of my brother's system (from top: SB2+ PLAYER, PSU, SERVER, AMP), and a close up of the MiniITX server:

http://www.at-view.co.uk/images/Systems/MD_system.jpg
http://www.at-view.co.uk/images/Systems/MD_server.jpg

BTW, Speakers (not pictured) are Linn Keilidh.

Skunk
2006-03-05, 13:48
Here's a photo of my brother's system (from top: SB2+ PLAYER, PSU, SERVER, AMP), and a close up of the MiniITX server:

You do nice work, and I'm always interested in your posts here and on PFmedia (where i only lurk). Just wanted to retract my statement re: the attractiveness of your enclosures. Cheers.

Fredly
2006-03-10, 12:11
It’s about time I posted a couple pix of my rig and Squeezebox in the basement. So here goes.....

This pic is from where I sit my big fat bum, when I'm listening to tunes. :-)

http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1011&stc=1&d=1142017372

Next up, a close-up of my rig (AKSA pre and amp).

http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1012&stc=1&d=1142017372

I had my SB3 modded by Red Wine. It sounds SENSATIONAL and is SO easy to use.

I have to say….. I LOVE my Squeezebox!!!

Oh….and one last thing. The Power Supply DOES make a HUGE difference. Definitely worth getting upgrading IMHO.

Cheers, Fred in Canada

ezkcdude
2006-03-10, 15:29
Finally got everything in place (although I must evaluate whether this amp is better than the AudioSource it is replacing). The subwoofer is not pictured here, but is off to the right side.

RalphO
2006-03-13, 19:01
Here is a photo of my set up.

The squeeze box feeds a digital signal to the DAC in my Adcom CD Player.

Preamp is the Audio Research SP9
Power amp is the Brystron (can't remember the model)
The speakers are Magneplanars.

sleepysurf
2006-03-13, 19:31
Here's a thumbnail overview of my Family Room setup, with closeup of my SB2 and Benchmark DAC1. Notice my self-proclaimed "El Cheapo" Rat Shack switch which I'm (currently) using to alternately feed my Sunfire Amp with SB2/Benchmark (audio) or Yamaha RX-V1000 (video).

I also have two other SB's, one in Master BR feeding a Russound R235LS powering in-ceiling speakers, and the other in my Game Room currently feeding powered Sony speakers (to be eventually upgraded!)

mftech
2006-03-13, 22:30
Only one SB3 but several purpose around the house:

Inside my rack with an assortment of various DAC and a DCX-2496
In the bedroom with a mini JVC system
Beside my old Normende Tube Radio (1954)
Listening privetely with a pair of Grado headphone
Connected to Fisher 175 in the kitchen

linuxtx
2006-03-15, 14:30
I don't have pics of my downstairs SB2 setup yet:
SB2->Rotel 991 -> B&W N804

For now, here is my office Squeezebox 3:
SB3 -> Corda Aria -> AKG K701

akwok
2006-03-16, 13:24
SB3 => Storm Digital D02 NOS DAC => Stax 007t Electrostatic Amp => Sennheiser HE60 / Stax Omega II

Koffe
2006-03-19, 15:45
SB3 => Teac A-H500 => Mirage M 590i

Interconnects: Audioquest, Turqouise Hypelitz
Speaker cables: Van den Hul, Clearwater

Mains Filters: Ultra Transparent Audio

mftech
2006-03-19, 17:52
Since the SB is portable,
I use it all around the house in different set-up.
At first:
>The SB3 with my DCX2496
>The SB3 in the bedroom with a mini-system by JVC
>The SB3 with my Fisher 175 receiver (1970)
>The SB3 with my Normende (1954) radio

GregF
2006-03-20, 09:13
Components (from top to bottom):

Squeezebox 3
Creek OBH-14 DAC/passive pre-amp
California Audio Labs Delta CD transport
Adcom ACE-515 power conditioner
Creek A52SE amplifier
NHT MA-1 subwoofer amplifier
NHT Super Zero speakers
NHT SW2P subwoofer
BetterCables digital interconnect
Lindsey-Geyer and Audioquest Turquoise RCA interconnects
Kimber 4TC speaker cables

ezkcdude
2006-03-20, 10:02
Since the SB is portable,
I use it all around the house in different set-up.
At first:
>The SB3 with my DCX2496
>The SB3 in the bedroom with a mini-system by JVC
>The SB3 with my Fisher 175 receiver (1970)
>The SB3 with my Normende (1954) radio

mftech, you win the automatic seal of approval with that FLAC avatar!

joncourage
2006-03-30, 18:23
Here's the bedroom system...

kbelinski
2006-03-31, 00:24
SB2 (flac) -> CJ CAV50 -> Vienna Acoustics Haydn Grand + Rel Strata 3

bullethead
2006-03-31, 19:28
Here's the bedroom system:

Using a Bel Canto DAC2 connected to the optical output. Sorry for the horrible photography, I am an amateur.

FLACs stream natively to the SB3 from the NAS.

coldslabs
2006-03-31, 21:51
Is that 10 remotes I see? I get confused with 3.

04dgmsilv
2006-04-01, 07:27
My little 2 Channel System:
SB3 with DIY PS -> Onix SP3 -> Onix Ref 1.5s

martintyler
2006-04-01, 14:24
Flac -> SB3 -> Tag AV32R -> M&K MPS2510PK's

Other bits - Philips 963SA (SDI), Lumagen HDP Pro, Projection Design Action Model One, Fujitsu 4229 Plasma, Arcam P85, M&K MPS1525 surrounds.

Clarence
2006-04-01, 18:16
Just got on the forum today. I am a member in good standing on the Klipsch forum. I am using my squeeze3 with a custom modded Dynaco ST-70 tube amp... anybody else use tubes?

Clarence
2006-04-01, 18:41
try try again!

Clarence
2006-04-01, 18:45
i was worried about sound quality, but the tubes take the edge off of the digital recordings! warm, deep, I cant say enough about tubes and klipsch!

DLORDE
2006-04-03, 05:00
Here's my still-under-construction lounge A/V system with Squeezebox perched in front of the TV while testing the optical output.

L/R speakers: Linn Katan
Centre speaker: Linn Trikan (due for replacement/repositioning)
Sub: Linn Afekt
CRT: 32" Loewe Aconda
Video: Loewe ViewVision (sideways next to TV)
Behind glass:
top left - Linn 5125 5-channel amp
bottom left - TiVo
top right - Linn Classik Movie Di (5ch amp, tuner, CD/DVD)
bottom right - upper: Sky
- lower: Sky+
Bottom of LH speaker stand: 6-way A/V switch for cassette deck, record deck, & Hitachi FT-5500 MkII tuner (all out of picture).

Ford Freak
2006-04-12, 08:28
Here is a picture of the complete HT setup and what I store my music on. I'll get a close-up picture when I get back from work.

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/165/img30287eo.jpg
http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/2824/img30326sl.jpg

dwc
2006-04-12, 10:09
Clarence, dig the white chassis!

Ford Freak
2006-04-12, 15:07
Here a close up picture. The glass on the doors was made like that so it isn't the picture.

Denon 3805
Denon DVD-910
Panasonic VCR : /
Rocket Tykes

http://img434.imageshack.us/img434/2821/img30382er.jpg

funkstar
2006-04-13, 01:37
Spotted the NES tucked away in the corner of the cabinet, very cool :)

eq72521
2006-04-13, 11:39
Spotted the NES tucked away in the corner of the cabinet, very cool :)

That's the first thing I noticed as well. :)

Jetlag
2006-04-13, 11:49
What's an NES?

dwc
2006-04-13, 12:44
I believe it refers to Nintendo Entertainment System.

funkstar
2006-04-13, 15:47
What's an NES?
Shocking!

In my opinion it was the best games console ever... and the only one i have ever owned. Still have it too :)

danial40
2006-04-14, 02:59
Here is mine...

Arcam Cd33
Stock Sb3
Bat Vk-300x Se
Sonus Faber Cremona
Nordost Interconnects and Speaker Cables

Ford Freak
2006-04-14, 04:05
There are a lot of nice setups here. I am slowly upgrading mine. Next will be a 42" LCD or some speakers. I'll probably go for the LCD first. I'm not sure what TV I'll get yet since that is about a year away. The speakers will most likely be these. (http://www.axiomaudio.com/epic60_500main.html)

As for the NES, it still works. I want to get one of those new ones though so I don't have to use the original one. I would like to keep the orignal one working.

Robster
2006-04-14, 04:48
As for the NES, it still works. I want to get one of those new ones though so I don't have to use the original one. I would like to keep the orignal one working.[/QUOTE]

I've got a PS2,Cube and N64 and you mean the new Revolution, I hope that genius 'wand' controller lives up to expectations.

Rob

Ford Freak
2006-04-14, 06:32
I've got a PS2,Cube and N64 and you mean the new Revolution, I hope that genius 'wand' controller lives up to expectations.

Rob

I was talking about the "new" NES that uses the original game cartridges.

http://www.playmessiah.com/onlinestore/

I see that the Revolution will play the old games also. I'm not sure I like the controller though.

Robster
2006-04-14, 08:17
I was talking about the "new" NES that uses the original game cartridges.

http://www.playmessiah.com/onlinestore/

I see that the Revolution will play the old games also. I'm not sure I like the controller though.

Ahh I didn't know about that one.....
The Revolution controller may turn out to be pants but it is fresh and full of potential, that's what the stale games market needs imo not next gen graphics, cough 360.

R

mamsterla
2006-04-14, 13:26
I finally got my images online -

The first is the combined HT/Music system in the Living room. Speakers are about 1m (3ft) from the rear wall and out from the TV too.

http://mamster.wnx.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1088&g2_serialNumber=1
http://mamster.wnx.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1124&g2_serialNumber=2

System:

Music
SB2 w/mods and custom power supply
Art DIO Digital section DAC
PS Audio PCA2/HCPS Preamp
AKSA Nirvana Plus 100wpc Amp
Thorens TD-124 Turntable
DIY phono stage (Thorsten Analog Addict circuit)
Dynaudio Contour 3.0 speakers
-
HT -
B&K Ref 50 processor
Aksa Nirvana Plus 55wpc / 100wpc rear and center amps
Panasonic HD-1000 DVD Player
Dish Network 921 HD receiver
Hsu HRSV-12v subwoofer
Dynaudio Contour center channel speaker
Dynaudio Audience 50 rear channel

You can make out the SB in the stack of components about midway.

slimjimbo
2006-04-17, 12:50
If you ignore everything below the top shelf, I am currently listening to a very simple set-up. Squeezebox into power amp into single driver speakers. You might pick fault with a lack of both top end and bottom end but I'm enjoying my music more than for a long time thanks to the squeezebox.

I really must fill in that hole and hide the wires!

ezkcdude
2006-04-17, 14:24
If you ignore everything below the top shelf, I am currently listening to a very simple set-up. Squeezebox into power amp into single driver speakers. You might pick fault with a lack of both top end and bottom end but I'm enjoying my music more than for a long time thanks to the squeezebox.

Are you going to elaborate on what you have got there? Inquiring minds want to know...

philodox
2006-04-18, 10:37
EDIT: Can't seem to get the IMG tags to work, so I'll just link the picture... (http://home.cogeco.ca/~philodox/new/rig.JPG)

Not the greatest picture I know... I really need to get a tripod.

Here are a couple up close shots of my headphones as well: One (http://home.cogeco.ca/~philodox/new/bumby-k340s.JPG) | Two (http://home.cogeco.ca/~philodox/new/k340.JPG)

ceejay
2006-04-18, 11:00

Very nice looking setup... but I am intrigued, you have a beautifully matched set of shelves with the speakers (where did you get those shelves, BTW?) for a high WAF, then let the side down with the dangly cables! And isn't the TV a bit high?

Do let us know...

Ceejay

slimjimbo
2006-04-18, 11:55
Are you going to elaborate on what you have got there? Inquiring minds want to know...

The diy power amps are chipamp.com kits. I've got one of each LM3875, LM3886, and LM4780.

The 'Heggs' are diy speakers using CSS FR125S full range driver, they are sealed and roll off around 100Hz. The concept is to avoid nasty baffle diffractions by approaching a hemispherical front face, and to have a tapered internal shape for stiffness and avoidance of internal reflections. And to look different.

When my active crossover is built they will cross to the 10" drivers at around 120Hz to fill in the bottom end. At the moment I have the option of crossing to them in mono using my AV amp bass management.

slimjimbo
2006-04-18, 12:03
Very nice looking setup... but I am intrigued, you have a beautifully matched set of shelves with the speakers (where did you get those shelves, BTW?) for a high WAF, then let the side down with the dangly cables! And isn't the TV a bit high?

Thanks for the appreciation. The shelf design is well known in audio diy as the 'flexy-rack'. It's a great design, just shelves/studding/nuts/washers. The flexy bit refers to how easy it is to re-configure, the shelves can be adjusted up and down on the fly, extra shelves can be added.

In real life you get used to the cables and holes in the wall, it's only when you post a photo that you realise how slack it looks. (I don't have a SO to help with my priorities, so things tend to stay as first installed)

You can't see my real pride and joy, a 6foot sonosub in the corner!

The TV is a little bit high, I bought it at the same time as a bunch of recliners and thought I might spend more time than I do in recline mode.

Skunk
2006-04-18, 13:22
In real life you get used to the cables and holes in the wall, it's only when you post a photo that you realise how slack it looks.

I shouldn't be talking with my speakers on swivel chairs, but maybe a cheap way to make a wire raceway would be PCV sliced into a half round shape, painted black, and attached to the wall (somehow). I thought it might look nice with the speaker motif, giving a little balance to the AV sculpture. Nice job on the system, btw.

slimjimbo
2006-04-18, 14:40
I had planned to box the sides of the screen in at the same time, and to put sockets on the wall all hidden behind a removeable panel. One of the reasons for not doing anything could be that I didn't really like the whole box thing.

I've got some black 6" pvc tube so I'll give your idea a go. The bottom end can be mounted to a plate that covers the hole and the top can clip behind the screen edging. Should be easy.

ceejay
2006-04-19, 01:02
A very quick and easy cable tidying method I've used in the past is to get a length of PVC tubing designed to wrap around a radiator supply pipe - it has a slit in the side but wraps over itself so you can easily fill it with wires without having to pull through...

Ceejay.

Wombat
2006-04-19, 13:58
Looks a bit messy cause i am still working on my new mid dome implementation and the cabling...

Clarence
2006-04-19, 19:45
Clarence, dig the white chassis!

Dare to be different..... I fell in love with the white, could have had any color I wanted....

Heres another pic under good warm lighting... Enjoy!

Jetlag
2006-04-19, 20:07
Dare to be different..... I fell in love with the white, could have had any color I wanted....

Heres another pic under good warm lighting... Enjoy!
Where exactly is the iPod cradle? ;)

notanatheist
2006-04-19, 22:30
WOW on that amp! Are there schematics for that? What does it cost to do something the beautiful? I would love to have the bedroom as a listening experience and that looks to fit the bill.

dwc
2006-04-20, 10:05
It's Clarence's amp so he'll know better, but I understand the Dynaco 70 to be an older tube amp, and there are DIY'ers and vendors out there who strip them and rebuild them with hi-quality parts and end up with great amps.

Here's one example: http://www.avahifi.com/root/equipment/amplifier/ultimate70.htm

toba
2006-04-22, 04:52
Squeezebox 2
TacT RCS 2.2x
NAD S500i
Manley 75+75
B&W N805
Amadeus SUB 100
Beast Icepower
Nottingham Spacedeck / K3

kefa
2006-04-23, 04:26
spring is finally here...

jonheal
2006-04-27, 04:48
spring is finally here...
What the h-e-double toothpicks are those braided thingies??

Jetlag
2006-04-27, 07:48
Appears to be some form of "WAF".

Browny
2006-04-28, 11:00
Perhaps they are designed to reduce Standing Waves....

dwc
2006-04-28, 11:08
Those are the "Rapunzel" model bass traps.

joncourage
2006-04-28, 20:09
Forget the braids - I love the choice of music, what a great album, and one of my all-time favorite movies! Excellent taste!

I wonder how many SBs have seen that particular title flash across their screens. May only be that one and mine!

opaqueice
2006-04-29, 03:15
Forget the braids - I love the choice of music, what a great album, and one of my all-time favorite movies! Excellent taste!

I wonder how many SBs have seen that particular title flash across their screens. May only be that one and mine!

Interesting. While there is a Jim Jarmusch film titled "Night on Earth" and a soundtrack with the same name, there appear to be only two options here:

1) "A Night on Earth" by the Texas polka group Brave Combo, and

2) "A Night on Earth" by Crazy Penis, British disco house.

I wonder which it is...

kefa
2006-04-29, 05:16
I wonder which it is...
A Night On Earth (http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/dance/reviews/crazyp_nightonearth.shtml) - glad to hear others on here digging the same vibe!

They are used to tie the curtains back, and as such, they do indeed fulfill certain WAF criteria...

jbm0
2006-04-29, 09:36

Oh, they're not just a polka band -- sometimes they're a tango band, sometimes... well, their album wih Tiny Tim was unique and quite brilliant.

Y'know, I enjoyed their albums for years, assuming their quirk of putting unexpected songs to unexpected dance rhythms was the work of clever musicological nerds; then I stumbled across them performing live at a festival, and realized that they're also a kickass dance band.

slimjimbo
2006-05-06, 08:54
follow up to my picture on page 21, I liked skunk's idea of using a black plastic tube to hide the wires but couldn't find something suitable, so I went for my usual material of choice.

Here I am testing a power-one 5V supply. Also shown is the mockup of the PS case (only mock-up because it's too small). Dissapointed to say I can't here a difference.

joncourage
2006-05-06, 09:12
Interesting. While there is a Jim Jarmusch film titled "Night on Earth" and a soundtrack with the same name, there appear to be only two options here:

2) "A Night on Earth" by Crazy Penis, British disco house.

I wonder which it is...

Oh, hmmmm. I was talking about the movie and the soundtrack by Tom Waits. Never heard of the others....

Wombat
2006-05-06, 17:32
Hmm... Tom Waits "Back in the old world" from this soundtrack makes me so melancholic all the time...

BeerCan
2006-05-06, 20:39
Forgive the fingerprints please :) A little disorganized but my rack is on order

eq72521
2006-05-07, 09:39
Hmm... Tom Waits "Back in the old world" from this soundtrack makes me so melancholic all the time...

At least half of Tom Waits' oeuvre makes me melancholic. Moreso when some whisk[e]y is involved. :)

nelamvr6
2006-05-21, 17:53
Here are some pics of my current setup:

ajmitchell
2006-05-31, 13:00
Hi All,

Took me a while to get a decent photo. I've got various zones running (one upstairs on a 7.2 surround) but this is the one thats closest to pure audiophile.

SB3 (no modification)
Classe CP2100 (integrated)
PMC OB1

Shame I cannot get a pure signal working......see http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=24390

Roy2001
2006-06-01, 22:46
Hi All,

Took me a while to get a decent photo.

Hi, that is really a nice picture. Seems you were using a DSLR with lens like 50mm prime.

ajmitchell
2006-06-01, 23:56
Hi, that is really a nice picture. Seems you were using a DSLR with lens like 50mm prime.

Hi Roy, thanks for that. Yes I am a serious photographer....see http://ajmitchell.shutterpoint.com.

You have sharp eyes too because you're spot on. Its Minolta 7D + tripod + natural lighting + 50mm F2.8, no filter.

I may post some more, if theres a demand.

R
Alex

seanadams
2006-06-02, 00:25
Alex,

Damn, that's a nice shot!

Care to trade an SB3 for permission to use it in our marketing material?

Andyoz
2006-06-02, 02:37
What,

I'm going to get my SLR out....NOW!!!!!

Amauta
2006-06-02, 04:49
Maybe it is a good idea to make a contest for the best picture? Rewarding it with an SB3....

ModelCitizen
2006-06-02, 05:30
Yup, lovely shot. I am very impressed by the PMC OB1's! I have been trying to track down a pre-loved pair of these for quite a while now. The FB1's are impressive enough but the OB1s are awesome.
MC

Andyoz
2006-06-02, 06:10
There's a second hand pair here:

http://www.shadowaudio.co.uk/usedequipment/index.htm

If they are still available, try offering them £1500 as they have been on their website for a while now.

Khuli
2006-06-02, 06:17
Its Minolta 7D + tripod + natural lighting + 50mm F2.8, no filter.

Nice shot indeed, though a polarising filter might improve (decrease) the reflections on the SB3 display next time...

ezkcdude
2006-06-02, 07:39
Maybe it is a good idea to make a contest for the best picture? Rewarding it with an SB3....

Yeah, no kidding. I'll whip out my Nikon F4 (film camera!) faster than you can say "Free SB3".

Skunk
2006-06-02, 08:20
I'll whip out my Nikon F4

I've got one of those. You have good taste :-)

Re: the topic.
The glare on the screen doesn't bother me much. It helps demonstrate the readability of the high quality display. I think ajmitchells shot deserves the SB3,

but a contest would be fun.

ajmitchell
2006-06-02, 09:05
The glare on the screen doesn't bother me much. It helps demonstrate the readability of the high quality display.

Hi All,

Thanks for your comments on this topic and the offer for the SB3 is unexpected! A few words of explanation. The photo is taken in an extension to the house in which there are large windows on each side. The green reflection in the SB3 is actually trees outside. I considered a polarizer but it had the effect of reducing the readability on Classe TFT. Personally I think the quality of the display on the SB3 matches that of the classe pretty well (despite a 40 fold price differential!!).

For those using film, thats excellent....therein true quality lies. Most of the images on http://ajmitchell.shutterpoint.com have a film version too (Fuji reala on minolta 7). I am also looking into 6x12 wide120 format for landscapes which are my real love.

I have some more SB3 pictures taken in the same setting, and I'll post one or two more over the weekend.

Alex
ps. I would love to see a photo forum or even better photo contest....could be interesting to do some long exposures for the display.

ModelCitizen
2006-06-02, 09:38
There's a second hand pair (PMC OB1's) here:
http://www.shadowaudio.co.uk/usedequipment/index.htm
If they are still available, try offering them £1500 as they have been on their website for a while now.
Thanks very much for the pointer. £1.5k is about what I wanted to spend. I rang them but their web site is very out of date (a new one is in the pipeline) and unfortunately they sold them ages ago.
MC

Andyoz
2006-06-02, 09:44
Oh well, I just bought a pair for £1380 but they have both been damaged in transit (very badly) and I going though an insurance claim from hell with the courier. Good luck

ModelCitizen
2006-06-02, 09:55
Oh well, I just bought a pair (of PMC OB1s) for £1380 but they have both been damaged in transit (very badly) and I going though an insurance claim from hell with the courier. Good luck
Good luck. Wasn't ParcelForce (aka ParcelFarce) by any chance was it? After some very bad experiences with them damaging and loosing my hifi stuff I'd never trust them to deliver anything again.
MC

ezkcdude
2006-06-02, 11:24
I've got one of those. You have good taste :-)

Re: the topic.
The glare on the screen doesn't bother me much. It helps demonstrate the readability of the high quality display. I think ajmitchells shot deserves the SB3,

but a contest would be fun.

Thanks, I upgraded last year from an old FE.

madpatrick
2006-06-03, 01:26
Just wanted to share my system to the people.
A simple but very effecient system
The Squeezebox is linked to a Marantz SR4300 AV Receiver with a fiberglass cable.
All my CD are converted to FLAC to keep an acceptable quality.
The speakerset i'm using is a Bose lifestyle system

ceejay
2006-09-02, 14:36
Well, this thread has ben a lot of fun but has also been quiet for a while so here goes... Not "audiophile", but I like it (and I think this thread was hijacked away from purely "audiophile" rigs a long time ago!).

SB2 wireless
Tosh SD210E DVD (next up for replacement!)
Humax 8100 PVR
Philips VCR
Denon 2805 AV Receiver
Panasonic TH42PX600 TV
Speakers: 2 channel Kef Q35, 5.1 channel B&W MT20
Sony Cassette and MD decks (left hand rack)
Soundstyle Finewoods racks
Harmony 885 remote

In this new arrangement an SB3 would look a lot better than the SB2, but I don't think I could justify the spend on aesthetic grounds alone - maybe I'll have to wait for an SB4, whatever that might be...
Ceejay

Sleestack
2006-09-02, 14:54
Waiting for the Transporter...

mr_bill
2006-09-02, 15:45
Sleestack,
How much was the power suppply for the SB3 you have and did you get it from mauimods?
Thanks,
Bill

SadGamerGeek
2006-09-02, 16:24
The kitchen is where most music gets listened to, so it seemed a good idea to have a reasonable system there. This is a TEAC Mk II Reference system (CD player elsewhere) & Wharfedale 9.1 speakers.