PDA

View Full Version : A photo of your Squeezebox setup (please)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

auronthas
2009-07-25, 21:24
I have posted before but now with new toy, i.e. CA DacMagic 3 joining audio family. Very pleased with the entire system even though first day of audition.

alZmtbr
2009-08-02, 05:15
Replaced the old energy 5.1e's with Reference 3A deCapo's which demanded the source be improved - so moved the SB2 from the basement workshop, moved the ADCOM (as DAC) from the den system, et voila! Great sounds indeed!

This is the wife's system - vinyl hides behind the rosewood.

Fedder
2009-08-03, 01:47
This is the view from my listening position in our living room. I still need to clean up the cabling, though...

/Fedder

-Stef-
2009-08-03, 11:33
Cabling? What cabling? Great view, although I'd probably lose the lamp.

But then, it's your (great) view. :)

Jetlag
2009-08-03, 13:25
Cabling? What cabling?

I think I can see a wire on the right speaker, absolutely ruins the entire setup for me! ;-)

(Multiply that by x1000 and you get my setup)

shake-the-disease
2009-08-03, 15:56
This is the view from my listening position in our living room. I still need to clean up the cabling, though...

/Fedder

Very very nice. I'm feeling relaxed just looking at your photo of the view :)

Fedder
2009-08-04, 01:09
I think I can see a wire on the right speaker, absolutely ruins the entire setup for me! ;-)

(Multiply that by x1000 and you get my setup)

You're right the cable to the right speaker is just lying on the floor.

But more importantly there's quite a mess behind the left speaker (which houses the amplifier). There's a power plug at the rear of the speaker, where the power supply for the SB2 is plugged in. And since I have (not yet) been bothered to get a custom made male RCA to male minijack cable, there's quite a spool of cabling behind it.

/Fedder

Jetlag
2009-08-04, 07:56
...get a custom made male RCA to male minijack cable.../Fedder

Dang! I just sold mine to a friend or I could have helped you out. It was one of these:

http://www.straightwire.com/Graphics/MCAIPOD1.jpg

superflyguy
2009-08-04, 09:54
Here's my music setup

Its a touch screen media pc I built this with all wireless components - mainly so I dont have to get off the couch lol!

A Duet's hooked into my music setup - Naim Audio NAP 90 power amp with NAC 92 pre-amp and Flatcap power supply.
Speakers are Monitor Audio Gold 10's.

Took an age of scrimping and saving to get this far, and so worth it to hear music as it should be!
I got a Boom in the bedroom that picks up wi-fi no problem.

Keymaster
2009-08-04, 10:17
touch screen media pc

Love that you're showing a Canadian band (possibly defunct now...unsure) on the screen!

superflyguy
2009-08-04, 10:34
Love that you're showing a Canadian band (possibly defunct now...unsure) on the screen!

Lol that's great vision!

This was at setup stage of the touchscreen, I'm actually listening to No Ties by The Days, it's displayed on the controller.

Abandoned all hope for any new Len stuff, been waiting since 2005 ! !

Alco
2009-08-09, 10:25
Hi guys,

This is my first posting on this topic. I'm using a SB3 Classic in my system, since januari 2008.

Later this year I might put the icing on the cake by purchasing a DAC for the SB3. (probably a CA DACmagic)

regards,
Alco

Alco
2009-08-09, 10:26
Here's a most recent snapshot of my setup.

http://members.home.nl/koerts/systempic_21-12_08_frontview.jpg

I replaced the supplied power-supply with a dedicated PSU from CI Audio. This is quite an improvement! :)
https://www.vistra.com.au/shop/images/D/vdc_sb.jpg

Schindler
2009-08-12, 13:49
Hi Alco, what's the brand of your black hi-fi rack? Its small and nice...

Christian

Alco
2009-08-13, 16:01
Hi Alco, what's the brand of your black hi-fi rack? Its small and nice...

Hi Christian,

It's an old Target B3 rack, from the early 90's.
I was searching for a decent, not too high 3-shelf rack for quite some time and found that one on the s/h market early this year.
(the top-shelf is resting on 4 small, hight-adjustable spikes)

Here's a more close-up picture, with my 20year old, beloved Naim Nait-2 amp on top:
http://members.home.nl/koerts/nait-2_system_grayscale.jpg
(the unit on the bottom-shelf is just an old CD-storage unit to fill up the gap)

cheers,
Alco

batka
2009-08-16, 10:44
Hi there.

Here's my little setup:

SB3 connected to a Sony STR-DB 940 via toslink,
Technics SL-PG 400A for CDs (which I'm using rarely now...),
Sony MDS-JE 780 Minidisc-Deck (I still like it)
an old Technics SL-BD 20 (haven't used it for a long time, but who knows),
a Panasonic DVD-S100 for viewing DVDs and a Panasonic DMR-E100H for recording
and some no-name speakers which I own for over 15 Years now,
but they still sound fine to me.

So long,
Sushi

I was just browsing this Squeezebox photos thread, and noticed this Hifi stand!

Hey Sushi, is that hifi stand is a custome made shelf? I like that very much, and it's actually seems a very good idea for me.
Could you help me what are those "white bricks" that makes the legs under the glass?

chn68b
2009-08-20, 04:00
New simple setup. SB3 and a pair of Meridian M30 active speakers. Radiator is not on....yet.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2491/3839696994_22d6dbe536_o.jpg

ralphpnj
2009-08-23, 05:37
Here's a shot of newly updated home theater system:
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n64/jazzfan_nj/100_0217.jpg

Equipment list:

47" LG LCD TV
Bello rack
Totem Signature center channel speaker
Cable HD DVR
Oppo BDP-83 Blu-ray Player
SqueezeBox Classic
Marantz SR-8400 AV Receiver
Linn Activ subwoofer
Energy Veritas 2.1 front speakers on Energy stands
Not seen: all the nasty cabling (and there is plenty of it to hide)
Not shown: Harmony universal remote plus the five or six additional remotes which I still need to use in spite of the universal remote. Rear channel speakers.

ralphpnj
2009-08-23, 05:38
I have posted before but now with new toy, i.e. CA DacMagic 3 joining audio family. Very pleased with the entire system even though first day of audition.

Any further thoughts or impressions about the CA DacMagic?

auronthas
2009-08-23, 15:32
Any further thoughts or impressions about the CA DacMagic?

I have posted my first impression under audiophile section on CA Dacmagic.

After more than 100 running hours, IMO,CA DacMagic now provides a warmer and musical sound stage than my first auditioning, each musical instruments are well defined and presented.

btscott
2009-08-29, 21:45
Here is my Logitech Squeezebox duet/Transporter System

Equipment Upstairs:
Krell 400xi
Krell SACD Standard
Logitech Transporter
Dynaudio Contour T2.5 Speakers

Equipment Outside:
NAD 325BEE
Squeezebox Controller
Definitive Technology AW6500 Speakers

Equipment Downstairs:
Denon AVP-A1HDCI
Squeezebox Controller
Dynaudio Audience 72, 122, 42 Speakers

MagPau
2009-09-14, 00:56
I guess you have a warm and radiant sound with that setup ;)

MagPau
2009-09-14, 01:08
Speakers: Martin Logan Purity fully active classD.
Dac: Stello DA100 signature
Cables and main filter: Transparent Reference and PI8. And some powercords from same company (SuperMM).
Sound: Have to describe it as... transparent!
Would like to upgrade with a preamplifier; PrimaLuna for example. Tubes and electrostats = Magic.

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp186/MagPau/SDC10291Small.jpg

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp186/MagPau/SDC10270Small.jpg

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp186/MagPau/SDC10263Small.jpg

egd
2009-09-15, 23:27
Speakers: Martin Logan Purity fully active classD.
Dac: Stello DA100 signature
Cables and main filter: Transparent Reference and PI8. And some powercords from same company (SuperMM).
Sound: Have to describe it as... transparent!
Would like to upgrade with a preamplifier; PrimaLuna for example. Tubes and electrostats = Magic. Before you do any of that you might try some thick pile rug in front of your speakers...those wooden floors would be quite reflective.

MagPau
2009-09-16, 04:46
Before you do any of that you might try some thick pile rug in front of your speakers...those wooden floors would be quite reflective.

Did borrow a Cayin and a Lector Zoe preamp. The sound is hugeley different with or without any rug! But yeah, one should take in consideration how the first reflection affects soundstage. Electrostats need less of damping (won´t go into techs) but dynamic base elements does. Thanks for the tip.

Jetlag
2009-09-16, 06:03
What are those 2 gizmos on the analog outs?

Bob in St. Louis
2009-09-16, 09:10
What are those 2 gizmos on the analog outs?
They're "caps" to keep airborn RFI/EMI from entering the equipment through unused RCA jacks.
Like > THESE < (http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CRRCASS).
Yea, that's another tweak to spend your money on.

Bob

iPhone
2009-09-16, 10:41
They're "caps" to keep airborn RFI/EMI from entering the equipment through unused RCA jacks.
Like > THESE < (http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CRRCASS).
Yea, that's another tweak to spend your money on.

Bob

Hello and welcome to the Forum. Let me say that I like the clean minimalist audio setup that you have. Plus the Black gear with the white rack is a great look.

Now on to the tweak that I must completely disagree with. The outer chassis of the Receiver is Plastic. RFI and EMI pass straight through it as if it wasn't even there. The Receiver has an active WiFI Transmitter (you're not using Ethernet) inside it with two internal antennas for crying out loud! The main circuit board trace layout acts more like an antenna then the Grounded RCA jacks which are a quarter wave for frequencies above 15GHz (which are well outside the audio range). Besides, you're using the digital side as a source. The Receiver isn't a Pre-amp with unused Inputs on a common switch that 'might' put outside noise in the gain path. The 'tweak' is for unused inputs not outputs.

WARNING: Never use the type of cap that also grounds/terminates the center RCA conductor as this can cause equipment damage or start a fire.

Bob in St. Louis
2009-09-16, 11:11
Yea, well....I didn't say it was a good idea....haha
Also, the very long run of unshielded DC cable is going to attract some bad stuff.
Great looking setup though.

Bob

MagPau
2009-09-19, 07:26
Should I post a new photo without the caps? Anyway thanks for info and your impressions. Have thought about changing the DC cable actually...

Bob in St. Louis
2009-09-19, 07:36
No Sir, the photo is just fine.
But a big "yes" on the DC cable.

Alco
2009-09-27, 05:49
This is not my own setup, but one I was listening to yesterday, at a HiFi-show. Speakers were the B&W Nautilus 804.
http://members.home.nl/koerts/Hanze_hifi_SN-SB3_N804-set.JPG

A nice, sober system consisting of a SB Classic + Naim SuperNait amp, with built in DAC.

http://members.home.nl/koerts/Hanze_hifi_SN+SB3.JPG

adm
2009-10-02, 04:32
The old but much loved A-400 has been replaced by new but even more much loved (already) Naim Nait XS.

scaler
2009-10-16, 04:13
To save on space, thinking about a Meridian F80 which has a digital input for the SB3. Anyone have any ideas on how they compare to your standard 2 speaker / amp set up?

Cheers

S

SB3
Beresford DAC
QED Cables
Cyrus 6vs2
Monitor Audio SilverRS1
Apollo Stands

chn68b
2009-10-17, 03:38
To save on space, thinking about a Meridian F80 which has a digital input for the SB3. Anyone have any ideas on how they compare to your standard 2 speaker / amp set up?

Cheers

S

SB3
Beresford DAC
QED Cables
Cyrus 6vs2
Monitor Audio SilverRS1
Apollo Stands

I listened to the Meridian F80 at the Bristol Sound 7 Vision show this year and was dissapointed. I have a Roberts MP23 which is a similar size but now around £200 and doesn't sound too different to the Meridian at over £1500. Yes the Meridian may sound a touch better, has its own sub and more power, but is it £1300 better? I don't think so.

I now have the SB plugged into a pair of Meridian M30's and compared to the Roberts there is more depth and ease with reproduction. You'll definitely lose a lot going for an all in one solution, though saying that, the F80 is probably the best option but I would definitely recommend listening to one before making your purchase. The Bose Wave is another solution which splits opinions and is again a lot cheaper, but the advantage is that they offer a free trial (30 day I think) so nothing to lose. In fact, I'd go for their trial first in your own home and compare it to your existing system as a guide.

Richie
2009-10-17, 03:47
I now have the SB plugged into a pair of Meridian M30's and compared to the Roberts there is more depth and ease with reproduction. You'll definitely lose a lot going for an all in one solution, though saying that, the F80 is probably the best option but I would definitely recommend listening to one before making your purchase. The Bose Wave is another solution which splits opinions and is again a lot cheaper, but the advantage is that they offer a free trial (30 day I think) so nothing to lose. In fact, I'd go for their trial first in your own home and compare it to your existing system as a guide.

I've got a Wave Radio and I have to say my Boom is much much better. The Wave is very boomy whereas the Boom sounds much more controlled.

Richard

chn68b
2009-10-17, 05:38
I've got a Wave Radio and I have to say my Boom is much much better. The Wave is very boomy whereas the Boom sounds much more controlled.

Richard

Highlighting the fact that more money isn't necessarily better, especially with an all in one solution, its down to personal taste and the type of music you listen too.

Regardless of this though, I don't think you'll find an all in one system that compares well with a cheapish amp and decent speaker setup.

scaler
2009-10-18, 03:01
I'm going to audition the F80 out of general interest but, as you say, it appears an awful lot of money for what may be only slightly better than a boom or similar. I have to say I have my reservations that it would compete with even the realtively modest system I have - but you don't know til you try.

I suppose another option could be some of the active speakers around presently - ae22, dynaudio etc. Not sure this is really space saving though - cyrus/beresford/sb3/bookshelves is about as sff as you can go I think. Find a more compact stand/rack and the other half may let it in to the living room :-).

Alco
2009-10-18, 04:39
Early this week I got me a Cambridge DACmagic, to improve the performance of my Squeezebox Classic.
Boy o boy,...and how it does! For the money the SB3 doesn't sound too bad, but this little DAC turnes it into a serious, highly musical and enjoyable combo! :)

The biggest improvement was that soundstage gained more depth/sense of space.
Mids are open/transparent and voices and instruments are now sounding more natural. Bass is well defined and tight.
I'm very pleased with the results. In fact,...I'm so thrilled by the performance of this SB3+DACmagic combo that I decided to sell my Naim CD5i !
(that's now collecting more dust, and costs allmost twice the price of the SB3/DAC!)

Here's a current picture of my little system:

http://members.home.nl/koerts/systempic_okt-2009_sideview.jpg

(from top to bottom: Naim Nait-5i, SB Classic, DACmagic, old CD-storage unit to fill up the bottom gap, and to hide some cables)

http://members.home.nl/koerts/systempic_okt_2009_roomview.jpg

That's all folks,

regards,
Alco

lowfi
2009-10-20, 13:37
I like your speakers stands!

Do they come with the speakers? Or are they sold separately also?

Grandell
2009-10-23, 20:00
my setup, please excuse the bad cellphone pic

Duet -> Onkyo TX-SR605 -> Polk Audio RT16's, and CS350 centre
and if it looks like the centre speakers fits really well, thats because i've modified the cabinet to fit it :)
TV is a Philips Aurea

http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq236/pretty_pretty_man/DSC00023.jpg

and for those that are interested, the sub hiding on the right sadly isn't connected to the rest of the system. its actually destined for my car, and is an RE XXX V4
the PS3 is one of 4 auctioned as a fundraiser for Starship Hospital, and is signed by V8 Supercar driver Greg Murphy and A1GP driver Johnny Reid

Bob in St. Louis
2009-10-23, 20:43
With all due respect:
Pull your main speakers out from the wall about 2 more feet. Then toe them in slightly, assuming you're sitting front and center in the "sweet spot".
That should make for a much better sound stage.
.........And for Christ sake, hook up the sub. (wink)

Bob

Grandell
2009-10-24, 18:25
do you mean pull them forward, or move them out as well?
the onkyo has basic TA, so that should have compensated for them being set back a bit, and they're bottom ported, so they're not being choked against the wall
i get what you mean about pointing them towards the seating position though. i'll have a play with them and see if i can notice any difference

and sadly the sub isn't very practical for a home theater :( the polks do play nice and low, but i may look at adding a slightly less obscene, and neighbour friendly sub at some point

aubuti
2009-10-25, 05:52
do you mean pull them forward, or move them out as well?
the onkyo has basic TA, so that should have compensated for them being set back a bit, and they're bottom ported, so they're not being choked against the wall
i get what you mean about pointing them towards the seating position though. i'll have a play with them and see if i can notice any difference
Yes, pull them forward. Besides the reflections from the back wall (which may or may not be addressed by bottom ports) you must be getting reflections off of the big component cabinet in the middle. At a minimum, move the speakers so that the fronts are at least even with the front of the component cabinet.

Bob in St. Louis
2009-10-25, 07:07
Sorry for the delayed reply. I did receive your PM, but I'll answer here. Everything aubuti said is correct. I would add to it though, since I have some extra information via the PM. The listening distance being 3m from the center channel, I would grab your tape measure and put the r/l channel speakers the same distance away, as well as the same distance apart from each other. Form an equilateral triangle. "Toe" the main channel speakers so the imaginary "laser beam" would cross just in front of your nose. Try that, see how it sounds. You can then tweak from there (or simply put it all back the way it is when the wife comes home). haha

I see a PS3 sitting there.
If you play COD4, add me to your list if you'd like: "KryptosPhantom".

Bob

Alco
2009-10-26, 11:34
I like your speakers stands!

Do they come with the speakers? Or are they sold separately also?
Personally I don't like the speaker stands. They give the speaker a typical surround-speaker look imho.

They are specially designed for the speakers though. They're sold seperately, but only match with these speakers. (Naim n-Sats)
Fact is, that the speakers hang into the stand, rather than rest on a top-plate.
http://members.home.nl/koerts/naim_n-sats_back.JPG

WickedGame
2009-10-27, 03:08
A lot of nice setups here :)

Set at this moment:

Plasma Television: Panasonic TH46PZ85
Receiver: Marantz SR7500 (Black)
DVD-Player: Marantz DV7600 (Black)
DVD-Player: Marantz DV6400 Vm (Black) (Modified by Van Medevoort)
Turntable: Transroter ZET-3
Phono Amplifier: Jasmine Phono
Front Speaker: B&W 805S Cherry
Rear Speaker: JBL L-4
Center Speaker: B&W HTM-2 Cherry
Subwoofer: Rel Stadium III Cherry
Networkplayer/Audioplayer: Logitech Squeezebox
DAC: Cambridge DacMagic
TV-Decoder: Humax 5000C

Connection/Cables:

Front Speakercable: MIT Magnum M3 Bi-Wire
Rear Speakercable: Nordost Flatline Gold
Center Speakercable: Kimber 8TC met WBT680
Subwoofer cable: Audioquest
Stereo Interlink:: 2 x Stereo IXOS - 1003-100
Stereo Interlink: 1 x Xindak FA-Gold
Digital interlinks: 1 x Optische IXOS 106-100 en 1 x Coax IXOS Overture XHD408 PC-OFC 75 Ohm Coaxial
Powerstrip: Kemp Powerstrip 8 met daarop Kemp Powercord Plus
Powercable Receiver: Kemp Powercord Plus
Powercable DV7600: Kemp Powercord Plus
Powercable Sub: Kemp Hi Powercord

http://www.htforum.nl/yabbse/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=56418.0;attach=713 72;image
http://www.htforum.nl/yabbse/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=56418.0;attach=713 79;image

bouton
2009-11-08, 06:58
One of my two original Slimp3s installed in the wall in the kitchen and connected to a russound home system and an HP thinclient T5720 in the garage.

My setup works perfect for parties and gives me the weather before I head out.

I must admit, I am tempted by the new Touch as album art in the wall might be nice.

chn68b
2009-11-15, 16:44
A lot of nice setups here :)

Set at this moment:

Plasma Television: Panasonic TH46PZ85
Receiver: Marantz SR7500 (Black)
DVD-Player: Marantz DV7600 (Black)
DVD-Player: Marantz DV6400 Vm (Black) (Modified by Van Medevoort)
Turntable: Transroter ZET-3
Phono Amplifier: Jasmine Phono
Front Speaker: B&W 805S Cherry
Rear Speaker: JBL L-4
Center Speaker: B&W HTM-2 Cherry
Subwoofer: Rel Stadium III Cherry
Networkplayer/Audioplayer: Logitech Squeezebox
DAC: Cambridge DacMagic
TV-Decoder: Humax 5000C

Connection/Cables:

Front Speakercable: MIT Magnum M3 Bi-Wire
Rear Speakercable: Nordost Flatline Gold
Center Speakercable: Kimber 8TC met WBT680
Subwoofer cable: Audioquest
Stereo Interlink:: 2 x Stereo IXOS - 1003-100
Stereo Interlink: 1 x Xindak FA-Gold
Digital interlinks: 1 x Optische IXOS 106-100 en 1 x Coax IXOS Overture XHD408 PC-OFC 75 Ohm Coaxial
Powerstrip: Kemp Powerstrip 8 met daarop Kemp Powercord Plus
Powercable Receiver: Kemp Powercord Plus
Powercable DV7600: Kemp Powercord Plus
Powercable Sub: Kemp Hi Powercord

http://www.htforum.nl/yabbse/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=56418.0;attach=713 72;image
http://www.htforum.nl/yabbse/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=56418.0;attach=713 79;image

that turntable is a work of art

hsmeets
2009-12-31, 10:47
Speakers: Mirage M3si
Amp: Onkyo A-9755
Server: selfbuild piece of hardware running FreeBSD.

The player on top of the amp is an T+A CD2000, it is the remaining part of a full T+A set which consisted of also an A-2000 and P-2000 pre/power amp set. Both died last year, between buying T+A set and the moment the amps died I cured from audiophile-itis.

The SB is already in service for more then 3 years.

Still very pleased with the 'sound' of the speakers! haven't heard anything recently that would prompt me to buy new ones.

Put all this stuff in my homeoffice where I have my PC and photoprinter, here I can set volume to 'tornado' level :-)

Webkemmi
2010-01-04, 03:01
Here is my setup...

agentsmith
2010-01-07, 19:53
I listened to the Meridian F80 at the Bristol Sound 7 Vision show this year and was dissapointed. I have a Roberts MP23 which is a similar size but now around £200 and doesn't sound too different to the Meridian at over £1500. Yes the Meridian may sound a touch better, has its own sub and more power, but is it £1300 better? I don't think so.

I used to have a Meridian F80 connected to a SB2 using Van Den Hul Optocoupler TOSLINK to Mini cable. The sound was amazing for its size. But obviously it does not defy physics. I placed them side by side with my Naim/Harbeth setup and it sounded much smaller which it is.

But if you do not compare, in a bedroom setup there is nothing quite like listening to quality music while snuggled in bed in a cold winter night.

It is very sensitive to placement especially when listening in realistic volume since the little woofer releases a lot of oomph and needs that breathing space. If anything it is more placement sensitive than my main speakers. The antenna was placed right in front of the subwoofer which is the worst spot since it rattles in low bass. So I had to adjust or even remove the antenna during loud listening.

I sold my F80 since it wasn't getting much use and the local Hong Kong radio station RTHK decided to drop its DAB "trial". But I missed it and bought back a meridian Alfred Dunhill AD88. That box is more solidly built with layers of wood instead of the F80 which uses high tech F1 composite materials. I found the AD88 sounding more refined without the odd shape and hi-tech material. To me it sounds similar but more civilized with better bass control.

Overall it is a good toy, but being audiofools I am sure most of us would still revert back to the separate gears.

Perfect to cottage or bedroom setup, but definitely not very portable. And there are a few glaring design stupidities, like a portable unit that only work in single voltage, antenna that sings with the woofer. And worst of all, a machine perfect for bedroom but no sleep function and no wake to music and no lighter remote. Plain stupidity in my opinion.

I thought I posted pictures of the F80 setup before but cannot seem to find it.

aubuti
2010-01-08, 09:32
I thought I posted pictures of the F80 setup before but cannot seem to find it.
this one? (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=286112#post286112)

atchi123
2010-01-20, 16:17
SB3 > DacMagic > XLR > Cambridge Audio 840A > B&W CM7

ashmore
2010-01-20, 17:42
Pretty cool-looking set up atchi. What's that funny shaped box with the hole in the middle and all the strings? ;)

chn68b
2010-01-21, 08:55
Pretty cool-looking set up atchi. What's that funny shaped box with the hole in the middle and all the strings? ;)

Thats a subwoofer

bhaagensen
2010-01-21, 14:31
Thats a subwoofer

I thought it was the newest version of the audiophile Transporter. Rumoured to be reproducing something called, 'guitars', with stunning realism.

audiofill
2010-01-21, 22:50
Hello from a big Squeezebox/Transporter fan!

My current HDD based hifi system:

Storage: Windows home server Fujitsu-Siemens Scaleo 2205 (4TB). 5000 albums in FLAC, ripped with EAC

Source: Squeezebox Classic (modded + diy power supply)

Dac: Cambridge audio DacMagic

Preamp: LDR Beautiful EVA (optional)

Power amp: NuForce Reference 9 SE V2

Speakers: Mark & Daniel Maximus (custom made)

Power cables: Supra Lo-Rad 2.5

Interconnects and speaker cable: diy pure silver

More photos in my gallery (http://www.audio-kontakt.com/index.php?page=view_gal&id_up=19).

Regards from Slovenia!

ralphpnj
2010-01-22, 12:46
Hello from a big Squeezebox/Transporter fan!

My current HDD based hifi system:

Storage: Windows home server Fujitsu-Siemens Scaleo 2205 (4TB). 5000 albums in FLAC, ripped with EAC

Source: Squeezebox Classic (modded + diy power supply)

Dac: Cambridge audio DacMagic

Preamp: LDR Beautiful EVA (optional)

Power amp: NuForce Reference 9 SE V2

Speakers: Mark & Daniel Maximus (custom made)

Power cables: Supra Lo-Rad 2.5

Interconnects and speaker cable: diy pure silver

More photos in my gallery (http://www.audio-kontakt.com/index.php?page=view_gal&id_up=19).

Regards from Slovenia!

Hi audiofill and welcome to the forum!

That is a very nice looking setup you have there and also very clean looking as well. How do you like the sound of the NuForce amps? They are class D amps, if I'm not mistaken. Plus you have the Cambridge Audio DacMagic, another product that I've read a lot about but still haven't gotten the chance to hear. Hopefully the system sounds as good, if not better, than it looks.

I looked at the gallery link... but with all that Slovak I'm going to have to wait for wife to get home so that she can translate. My wife is Czech and she should be able to read the Slovak.

audiofill
2010-01-22, 15:44
Hi audiofill and welcome to the forum!

That is a very nice looking setup you have there and also very clean looking as well. How do you like the sound of the NuForce amps? They are class D amps, if I'm not mistaken. Plus you have the Cambridge Audio DacMagic, another product that I've read a lot about but still haven't gotten the chance to hear. Hopefully the system sounds as good, if not better, than it looks.

I looked at the gallery link... but with all that Slovak I'm going to have to wait for wife to get home so that she can translate. My wife is Czech and she should be able to read the Slovak.

Hello Ralphpnj!

Thank you very much for your comment and welcome!

My english is lousy, but i hope you will understand me.

Im hi-tech audio fan and I prefers minimalistic aproach. My goal is to affect the music signal as less as possible and take it pure to the ears. For the resonable money of course since im not married with Paris Hilton hehe.

When I first heard Nuforce way back in 2005 I became addicted with it and i realized that for me there's no way back to A, A/B class. Nuforce isn't typical D class amplifier, it is a analogue switching amplifier. it's a kind of hybrid which surpasses the limitations of D class. Bloody neutral, resolution, transparent and in the same time very organic. Not sterile or clinical at all. In my eyes (as a hi-tech audio fan) Nuforce products are revolutionary because they are based on technology which is not "acceptable for hi-end" ("digi amp" amplifier modules combined with switching power supplies) and despite that they sound superb for the money.

Mark & Daniel Maximus are the best monitor speakers I have heard. Man can't believe that monitor speaker can sound so full. Like you listening a big floorstander. The integration between AMT tweeter and long throw bass driver with +/- 1 cm linear excurtion (which give +/- 3 to 5 times more acoustical output than convetional bass driver of the same size) is impressive. Here I must mention the chassy which is made from sintetical compound (some kind of artifical stone) and it is totally silent. All in all results in big un-boxines sound. But man must drive them with amplifier with balls. 100W RMS is not enough. Not even close. Nuforce with its iron fist totally controlls them. Sinergy between the two is exceptional.

Dacmagic is a story for itself. Amazing little cuttie which offers homogenious musical performance. For the money it sounds glorious.I think it sound so well mostly because of superb Anagram technology (their impressive resampling algorithms) built in the critical part of DacMagic.

Regarding language translate... I'm affraid that your wife can't help you. It is in Slovenian language (Slovenia), not in Slovakian (Slovakia). But never mind, even George Bush didn't knew when he spoke about balkan region hehe. Let we just say that here in Slovenia we have more beutiful babes thanin Slovakia and voila hehe

Cheers!

Aljosa

sebp
2010-01-23, 11:08
Nuforce isn't typical D class amplifier, it is a analogue switching amplifier.
Don't get fooled by marketing: their "analogue switching" thing is nothing more than Pulse Width Modulation, which class D is all about.

However, unlike so many other class D amps vendors, NuForce do really design their own class D electronics circuitry, and don't use ready to use modules from others (ICE modules from B&O, for example).
And I agree they do sound pretty good.

audiofill
2010-01-23, 13:16
Don't get fooled by marketing: their "analogue switching" thing is nothing more than Pulse Width Modulation, which class D is all about.

However, unlike so many other class D amps vendors, NuForce do really design their own class D electronics circuitry, and don't use ready to use modules from others (ICE modules from B&O, for example).
And I agree they do sound pretty good.

Hello sebp!

Just shortly... differences between typical class D amplifier and Nuforce "analogue switching" amplifier is described here (http://www.nuforce.com/hi/faq/faq-amplifier.html). About that I wont go into further debate with you since my english is not good enough and this is Squeezebox topic.

Ohhhh, I forgot to tell in my first post here... the main star of my system is Squeezebox Classic. I bought this sexy device some 3-4 years ago and it completelly changed my life. It spoiled me to that level that I can not live without it anymore. Slimdevices has really done impressive job with this little cuttie!

Here in Slovenia we have a strong Squeezebox community. Let's say just this (http://www.audio-kontakt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=210&start=0) forum topic named "Squeezebox thread" has now 51 pages. Considered that our country has just 2 millions of population (like small city in USA hehe) this is increadible.

Ok enough talking, here's two photos from my archive. First one is one of my favourites and showing my loving Classic in action, on the second one is my diy power supply for it.

Best regards!

mrwizard
2010-02-06, 08:17
I was looking for an affordable audio system for my bedroom and ended up with this rather minimalistic setup:

- SqueezeBox Classic
- Grundig SV-2000
- Cambridge Audio S30 Speakers

Yes, the amp is almost 30 years old but IMHO it is still better than anything new you can get (at least for a reasonable price). :-)

ejk
2010-02-06, 08:33
My setup

Squeezebox
Odyssey Candela
Marantz SA15S1
Butler TDB-2250
Salk Songtowers

timbonz
2010-02-06, 16:54
Here's my Squeezebox setup, top to bottom;

Lord of the Ring's DVD's + Squeezebox
Yamaha RX-V2200 receiver
Keyboard for mythTV box + some remotes not used much as I have a Logitech Harmony 785
Mitsubishi E51 VCR... w00t
Marantz CC-47 CD Changer
Sony DVP-NS76H DVD player
Technoc's RS-TR333 tape deck
mythTV frontend/backend machine in a ANTEC NSK2400 case

Stuff you can't see, Boston Acoustic speakers, DIY 12" sub, NAS computer behind the rack, lot's "O" cables behind.

C_W
2010-02-07, 06:09
Trying out the new little camera.
Mini Watt Amp:
PS Audio DLIII:
Zu Druids; and of course
SB3

bhaagensen
2010-02-07, 07:49
Trying out the new little camera.
Mini Watt Amp:
PS Audio DLIII:
Zu Druids; and of course
SB3

Whats' the camera :)

C_W
2010-02-07, 18:32
Canon S90, nice little camera!! But I didn't notice til after I posted that the .jpg corrected for barrel distortion while the RAW, that I was playing with, did not!!

bhaagensen
2010-02-08, 13:09
Canon S90, nice little camera!! But I didn't notice til after I posted that the .jpg corrected for barrel distortion while the RAW, that I was playing with, did not!!

Whats your impression of it? Some say its better than the G11? Its cheaper, but on the other hand a brand new design and model.

(OT, but I figured it could slide in a low-volume thread of this kind)

C_W
2010-02-08, 21:44
Whats your impression of it? Some say its better than the G11? Its cheaper, but on the other hand a brand new design and model.

(OT, but I figured it could slide in a low-volume thread of this kind)

I bought it for my GF to replace her G9.. She liked the G9 but found it too big for her purse? So far I'm impressed by the ISO perf at 400-800. It gets critisim for the rear control wheel being to easy to move, but so far I (er she) finds it ok. The lens is faster(f2.0 vice f2.8) than the G10 - G11, but shorter tele. All in all good perf for the size!!

I'm also impressed with the Mini Watt(just to keep a little on topic), drives the Druids nicely in the bedroom, 2.5 watts a side and only 269 US$ shipped. Tube glow at night doesn't hurt and the colur match is a bonus!!

Bearfaced
2010-03-15, 09:52
Epos 12.2
SB Duet
Cambridge Audio DacMagic
Placette Passive Volume Control
Cyrus Power

Bob in St. Louis
2010-03-16, 13:43
Very classy. Nice photograph as well.

Bearfaced
2010-03-16, 15:18
Hi Bob, thanks for your comments. I've been looking at your HT setup, very nice indeed! You seem like a very practical hands-on sort of person, I wish I had the skills and the patience!

Bob in St. Louis
2010-03-16, 15:26
You're very welcome, and thank YOU. I am humbled.
Yes, the wifey likes the handyman in me. haha She's benefited in many ways.

Bob

Music-in-a-Jag
2010-03-22, 19:17
Hi guys, here is my setup, hand made Valve Preamp and Valve main amp from Earle Weston, fed from the Duet through Dacmagic, output into Paradigm Phantoms . . . . Rel 2 sub.
Regards, Nick

DavidPHumes
2010-04-07, 11:54
Excellent looking systems in this thread! I will post mine as soon as I have a SB :)

jstraw
2010-04-09, 10:58
Let's see...

Squeezebox Duet
Scott Nixon TubeDac and 3Xac power supply
Rogue Audio Cronus integrated amp
Chicago Speakerworks (these days Van L Speakerworks) setup I bought in 1984

The Cronus and mains also serve as the fronts for the AV rig housed in the cabinet under the flat screen. You also see:

Sony 75ES DAT deck
T-amp that takes signal from the Cronus' pre-outs to speakers in another room
Music Hall MMF 7.1
Dynavector 10X5 phono cartridge

Labarum
2010-05-05, 09:21
My interim setup in Nicosia

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_N90ZvwSpWa8/S-GVqvi5acI/AAAAAAAAAlk/65K6INrBHXU/s640/IMG_1348.JPG

A brand new LG Full HD TV is driven by an old Shuttle PC running Windows XP. The DVI video output goes into the TV HDMI input and the audio goes by USB to by Beresofrd Caiman DAC which drives my rebuilt Quad 405-2 and by 25 year old MB Quart floorstanders that shipped without damage from UK.

The TV sits on a cabinet from the 1950s that came with the house.

On the right speaker you can see a Seimens hybrid DECT/IP phone that gives me free or cheap international calls.

BBC iPlayer only delivers TV to UK IP addresses, but £5 per month buys be a VPN connection

https://www.my-private-network.co.uk/

It works very well so I won't be spending £3000 on a 4m Sat Dish and I can take the Shuttle PC home - it has a DVB-S Tuner so I can use it as a PVR in Southampton.

I will come back with a HTPC with BluRay that will cost rather less than a MacMini.

??? http://www.asrock.com/nettop/overview.a … 20330HT-BD

http://www.overclock.co.uk/product/ASRo … 24826.html

For Radio and streaming ripped CDs I use my Squeezebox (which also feeds the Beresford Caiman). The conservatory at the back of the house has a Squeezebox Boom which is great for what it is. To my surprise it works on the WiFi Network through the thick stone walls of this old bungalow.

Micke65
2010-05-28, 12:38
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb209/Micke65/N1_iPOD.jpg

Squeezebox Classic with Naim SuperNait.
(Naim Nait1 and an old iPod is also seen on the picture)
/m

Lumo
2010-06-29, 13:26
Here's my little setup:

Squeezebox Classic, Denon DM38 and Wharefedale Diamond 9.1s.

Bob in St. Louis
2010-06-29, 20:13
This is the system I use in the workshop when I'm working on projects.

Here's my Duet, wrapped in plastic to keep the sawdust out. On the workbench (out of frame) sits the controller which is also wrapped in plastic. That's great unless I need to use the scroll wheel thingy.

The receiver is a rejected RCA 7.1 home theater receiver.
On top of that is a 400 CD disc Sony Mega Changer. That doesn't get much use since the Duet came.

The speakers are.....ummm.......Not sure, but I'd sell them for $1.
They're pretty bad. Going to have some open baffle in here soon. That will be nice.

Under the system is a 5 horsepower, 60 gallon, 140psi Campbell Hausfeld air compressor. This raises the noise floor quite substantially. Not much critical listening when this fires up.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k60/BobinStLouis/Crap-n-Stuff/DSC_0006.jpg

bebop
2010-09-02, 11:30
LOL, I cant't hear my Flac files when the compressor is running......

Sorry, couldn't help it....

audiofill
2010-09-08, 07:41
Hello from a long time squeezebox fan. As i already said here half a year ago, this little sexy device has completely changed my life. My best buy ever!

Now little cuttie has been heavily modified (superb Paul Hynes regulator for digital part, bypassed output choke and now pulse transformer between, BNC instead of RCA,...). Also DacMagic has been heavily modified. Both units has been optimized with osciloscope and digital reflectometer to work best with each other (thanks to a friend who is electronic expert and also audiophile). Result is impressive sonic performance which fully stands side by side with expensive hi-end digital sound sources.

Best regards!

Alco
2010-10-18, 01:07
http://members.home.nl/koerts/systempic_left-side_view.JPG

Currently I have a Naim Audio DAC on loan for 3 weeks.
It's surprising how good the SB analog out sounds, compared to the Naim dac. The Naim dac ads some more body to voices and a little more depth.

Here's a systempic with the Naim dac in place. (the little black/white boxes store my 670 CD's)

http://members.home.nl/koerts/nait_5i+dac_topview.JPG

bhaagensen
2010-10-18, 01:21
Hi Alco,

nice setup!!! I know those pics from another forum - I thought the nDAC had been returned - or maybe my recollection is of?

Alco
2010-10-18, 03:21
I thought the nDAC had been returned - or maybe my recollection is of?
It will be returned. That is, it will be picked up by my Naim dealer soon. :)

The sonic improvements are welcome but not worth € 2650,- to me.
I found I can live pretty easily without the expensive Naim dac.

callesoroe
2010-10-21, 07:37
TRANSPORTER, Amps 1 Acoustic Reality Ear Enigma ICE-Power 2x250W driving panels, 1 Acoustic Reality Ear Two ICE-Power 2x500W driving bas in biamping mode. Preamp/roomcorrection/upsampling Tact RCS 2.2X. Speakers Martin Logan Vista.

Transporter and Tact are connected through digital loop. Amps connected to Transporter because the DAC sounds better. Tact is used as Preamp/roomcorrection and upsampling to 24/96

zano65
2010-10-31, 05:25
TRANSPORTER, Amps 1 Acoustic Reality Ear Enigma ICE-Power 2x250W driving panels, 1 Acoustic Reality Ear Two ICE-Power 2x500W driving bas in biamping mode. Preamp/roomcorrection/upsampling Tact RCS 2.2X. Speakers Martin Logan Vista.

Transporter and Tact are connected through digital loop. Amps connected to Transporter because the DAC sounds better. Tact is used as Preamp/roomcorrection and upsampling to 24/96

Hello,
are you saying that the transporter dac is better than the one in the RCS? could you be more precise, please?

Jean

tedfroop
2010-11-08, 20:00
Nothing special, Yamaha RX-V567 (bottom center), Cerwin Vega fronts, center, surround, and sub. SB3 on the upper shelf along with a Cisco IPTV box running Mediaroom, an unused Panasonic DVD. An Asus O!play HDP-R1 serves up the video. After getting hooked on the Squeezebox I couldn't resist and found a way to do the same for my video. It may have a limited life though as the new TV has DLNA built in.
For those who are wondering how I made the center channel levitate there is a Center Stage Bracket (www.centerstagebracket.com) under it.

ascomm74
2010-11-13, 06:29
Here is my SqueezeBox system.
SB Classic is connected via coaxial SPDIF to Yamaha RX-V640RDS AV-receiver.

callesoroe
2010-11-16, 01:04
Hello,
are you saying that the transporter dac is better than the one in the RCS? could you be more precise, please?

Jean

Yes. That's MY opinion
More soundstage and voices more present.

RonM
2011-01-16, 18:45
Music is pretty much integrated into our household life; we don't have separate "listening areas", but can have music pretty much anyplace in the house. Aside from the Transporter, all audio equipment is pretty much middle-of-the-road, nothing audiophile here. But it certainly does the job.

When we built the house a decade ago we had speaker wire installed in the walls. This is a good thing, but it does reduce flexibility -- the source has to be in a particular place, as do the speakers. But the planning paid off and there hasn't been any downside, as of yet.

Here is my system. Apologies for the small size of the images -- I am actually adhering to the guidelines posted in terms of image dimensions, but I don't think anyone else is.

The first picture is the music server, sitting amidst the usual debris on my desk. It's the little black box just in front of the red mouse -- the FitPC2, a fully featured computer housing a 500gb drive, run headless; only things on it are Windows XP, SBS and the music files, aside from backup software.

It's connected via ethernet to the router, shown in picture 2. This is a cheap wireless N number from dLink. Aside from ethernet to the FitPC, the router is connected via ethernet to the Transporter and to my main computer; it's wireless to the SB Receiver in my third listening area (see next post). Note that the little white box above the router is the device connnecting my network to the internet service, a line-of-sight microwave service (I live in the country, no cable or dsl options).

The third picture is of the cabinet holding the Transporter and my Onkyo TX-8011 stereo receiver. The Onkyo is a quite inexpensive but surprisingly good receiver (see http://www.epinions.com/review/pr-Onkyo_TX_8011_Receiver/content_212660883076). The CDs are all recently ripped, waiting to go to storage. The CD player on the top awaits the very very occasional CD, like when someone visits with a disc to play. You can't see it in this picture, but my Boom lives in the bottom shelf when not being used.

The fourth picture is in the same room, showing the secondary listening arrangement. I have two sets of speakers connected to the system; this secondary set, mounted on the wall near the ceiling, services the kitchen area; the speakers (surprisingly capable, given their size) are from Polk Audio.

The fifth picture shows my Paradigm Mini Monitor speakers (see http://hometheaterreview.com/paradigm-mini-monitor-v5-loudspeaker-reviewed/) in the main listening space, purchased after I saw a very favorable review of the product line in Audiophile magazine. The living room (shown) has very high gabled ceilings; the speakers are excellent, but I sometimes do wish I'd sprung for the next size up, although the times I'd play at very high volume would be limited.

Next post will have a couple more pix.

Ron

RonM
2011-01-16, 18:52
Here is a closer look at my main listening area, with the Paradigm Mini Monitor speakers. These provide excellent sound, with good imaging and adequate volume capacity. The whole floor is pretty much open-concept, so there is no barrier to sound coming into the space from the secondary speakers shown high on a wall in the previous post. This doesn't seem to have a big negative effect on the listening experience, and in fact makes the overall sound "fuller", not unlike a good concert space.

The final picture is of my third listening space, the home theatre setup in our walk-out basement. There is a Receiver on the lower right of the stand, which you can just make out; the Controller is visible in the middle shelf just above it. The audio is processed by a Sony 5.1 receiver, which also drives the TV. Speakers are a home theatre package (5.1) from Energy (see http://reviews.cnet.com/surround-speaker-systems/energy-take-classic-5/4505-7868_7-33310963.html#reviewPage1). Quite good, actually, perfectly acceptable for the home theatre purpose, and more than adequate for casual music listening. I recently pulled speaker wires through the walls, so that I didn't have visible wire on the wall surface. You can just see, at the extreme lower left, a box on the wall which receives the speaker wire for the front left speaker from the Receiver.

Ron

WAD62
2011-01-17, 09:20
Hi There,

Here're some rubbish photos of my SB network

I'm using a QNAP TS-119 as my server, with about 2.5k FLAC albums

My main system is fed by an SB Receiver into my Audiolab 8000DAX, into a Q, then bi-amping with an SX and a P, into modified mission 753's (monacor driver replacements).

In the kitchen I feed an SB receiver into a Bantam Gold, and then into modified mission 780SEs (monacors again), the 'batman' acoustic damping device was installed by the missus.

In the b'room I have an SB3, into an Audiolab 8000s, again into modified mission 780SEs.

And finally I run winamp from my PC sharing the same FLAC library (on the QNAP), into a mini-t, and yes you guessed it modified mission 780SEs

I've been doing quite a bit of ebaying recently...

morris_minor
2011-01-18, 02:44
It's nice to see vinyl's still around in your house, and the Audiolab gear too :o

WAD62
2011-01-18, 03:32
It's nice to see vinyl's still around in your house, and the Audiolab gear too :o

...I switched to CD's sometime in the mid eighties, but I've still got about 1K albums from before then, I'm showing my age now.

I've just given the old Linn Axis a bit of a service (bought in 88 I think), new belt, hinges (they always go), and a new denon dl110 cartridge, which is an excellent match, and very good at playing 'worn' vinyl.

As you can see I'm a bit of an audiolab/mission enthusiast, probably down to the fact that my mate worked in a audiolab & mission dealership and I got some staff discount. I then just started adding second hand and refurbished stuff.

I started off with an S, then added an SX, then got hold of a second hand CDM/DAX combo, and more recently added a reconditioned Q and P, and retired the S to the bedroom.

just waiting for their new 32bit DAC to come out...

johnas
2011-01-19, 08:27
Music is pretty much integrated into our household life; we don't have separate "listening areas", but can have music pretty much anyplace in the house. Aside from the Transporter, all audio equipment is pretty much middle-of-the-road, nothing audiophile here. But it certainly does the job.

Nice looking house Ron. The snow outside looks like Ottawa right now.

What Polk speakers do you have mounted up high? I have some Polk RTi4 speakers that I need to move up high due to my 13month old attacking them. I was thinking of putting them on some wall mounts, they are kind of heavy so I haven't done it yet.

RonM
2011-01-19, 19:35
Nice looking house Ron. The snow outside looks like Ottawa right now.

Indeed, here in north-eastern Pickering we're already part of the way from Toronto to Ottawa. Lots of snow and currently quite cold.

What speakers do you have mounted up high?

They're Polk RT15 speakers, possibly RTi5 but that's not what it looked like when I just got up there to see. They're just hanging from picture hooks.

Ron

aubuti
2011-01-21, 19:01
Previously I posted the low-fi / high-WAF system in our kitchen (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=285125). Here is the rest of the SB family scattered around most rooms of the house. Additional equipment details are in my sig.

The top pic is our living room setup, which sounds great for less than $600 (2nd hand NAD amp and Vandersteen speakers, free beta SB Touch and Controller). The cheap Sony CD player is rarely used, pretty much only when someone comes over with a CD to hear.

The next pic is my "vintage" system from college days that lives in the basement rec room. Those ESS speakers still sound great, and the JVC amp (lower right) has aged well. This system also cost around $600, although that was in 1979 dollars!

Then comes the Boom on the corner chest in the bedroom, the Radio on my desk in the study, and the SB3 + Klipsch computer speakers in my son's room (the most amusical teenager in the world, he mostly likes the SB3 for the WeatherDateTime screensaver <sigh>). That black box between the Linksys router and SB Radio on my desk that looks like a Vortexbox Appliance is my MSI Wind dedicated music server.

Because of the limit of 5 pics per post, the final two photos (my outdoor system) are in the next post.

aubuti
2011-01-21, 19:04
Finally, the newest member of our SB family. After a couple years of pulling the Boom out to the deck in the summer I decided the deck needed its own system. It's hard to see the distant speaker, but it's on a fence post above and to the right of the covered barbecue grill, in the upper left of the photo. Not visible is the weatherproof volume control mounted to the fence. The speakers are powered by the Audiosource amp and Duet Receiver wedged under the joists above the hot water heater in the basement.

Mnyb
2011-01-22, 01:01
Very nice setups Abuti and WAD62 :)

Cool to se reuse of old and second hand components i wish i had the room to save all my old hifi it would have been awesome to have all that stuff.

One should not dismiss "old" hifi , the bussines would like it to appear that new and significant improvement happens all the time, it's a myth they want to keep ..

I'm quite happy with my 18 years old speakers .
I use Dynaudio they have practically made the same speaker forever with some refinements over the years (they where very much before there times 25 years ago)

Speakers and 2ch power amps can be had for good prices used

aubuti
2011-01-22, 06:33

Cool to se reuse of old and second hand components i wish i had the room to save all my old hifi it would have been awesome to have all that stuff.
Thanks, and believe me, there have been many conversations and compromises in our family on the subject of whether or not we have the room to keep the old stuff. And don't even ask about the vinyl collection ;o)

When I was shopping for the living room speakers I listened to some small Dynaudio monitors and they sounded great. I would definitely like to audition some Dynaudio floorstanders when I get around to replacing the Vandersteens.

ralphpnj
2011-01-22, 08:31

One should not dismiss "old" hifi , the bussines would like it to appear that new and significant improvement happens all the time, it's a myth they want to keep ..

I use Dynaudio they have practically made the same speaker forever with some refinements over the years (they where very much before there times 25 years ago)

I'm a believer in recycling, i.e. using, older hi-fi gear and I'm also a big fan of buying used/demo/discontinued equipment. While I don't have any of the stereo equipment from back in my college days (would you want to listen to 78's played on a hand cranked Victrola? - only kidding I'm not that old) I do still have and use various pieces of audio equipment that I've "upgraded" over the years.

My main audio system consists of a mix equipment purchased both new and used/demo. Sim Audio power and pre amps - used, Vandersteen speakers - demo, Transporter - new, Linn turntable - used with various new/used upgrades, McCormack CD player - new.

My computer room system has the Aragon power & pre amps that were formerly part of my main system (and which were also bought used/demo), Energy speakers and subwoofer - used, a Headroom Desktop amp - new, SB Touch - new.

The home theater system is also a combination of new and used equipment as is the case with the bedroom system.

The key with buying used equipment is to avoid the very well known brands which are too often overpriced and to go with lesser known, but still high quality, brands. A quick look over on Audiogon shows several excellent integrated amps and good sounding speakers available for a faction of their new cost. Ebay and Craigsist can also have some very good bargains.

trouty00
2011-01-22, 13:07
Ok well mine is pretty basic to alot shown on here but I wanted to get involved. I'm not an audiophile by any means, just like music wherever I am in the house. Its all controlled with Squeezecommander on the galaxy tab.

So pics
Main Living Room - obviouly cupboard door is usually shut!!!
Acer Revo 3600 running SBS and XBMC along with a few other Virtual machines
wifi router - I know an eysore but had to place here to get wi-fi in bathroom as old ipod touch has useless wi-fi signal
Technics reciever & speakers
Squeezebox Duet
a little wireless speaker transmitter - I split the feed on the duet.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1758280/Squeezebox/2011-01-22%2019.14.05.jpg

Kitchen
Squeezebox Radio
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1758280/Squeezebox/2011-01-22%2019.14.54.jpg

Bathroom
Ipod Touch 1G - just an old one stuck to the wall with velcro but gives local control of the duet in the lounge, works well as if no music required in lounge but in bathroom then technics unit can be switched off. obviously have to listen to same music though.
Cheap Tesco wi-fi speaker running on batteries- manually need turning on with a switch on the side -for some reason having problem rotating this one!!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1758280/Squeezebox/2011-01-22%2019.15.21%20222.jpg

Bedroom
Squeezebox Touch
Creative 2.1 setup with Sub (active computer speakers really)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1758280/Squeezebox/2011-01-22%2019.16.23.jpg

It's not a beautiful setup by any means but it works for me and is temporary setup as currently in rented accommodation. I had to leave all my nice ceiling speakers in my old place but once that gets sold I will be having them out for the bathroom and kitchen.

WAD62
2011-02-05, 02:58

Cheers Mnyb, as you say with a couple of used bookshelf speakers, a little T-Amp and an SB receiver, one can have some pretty decent sounding secondary systems, with a small footprint...for less than £200

morris_minor
2011-02-19, 05:39
It's taken a while, but there are now pictures of my Squeezeboxes up on the web.

http://www.revalia.co.uk/squeeze/#3

A number of people had been asking me about my SBs so what started out as a page of just pictures now has a lot of explanatory text on it . . .

odw199
2011-02-28, 07:17
Nothing massively fancy here, just a classic been played through a B&W Zeppelin.

Labarum
2011-03-03, 08:33
The loathsome chore - redecoration; but it has given me the opportunity to tidy up the AV.

So:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_N90ZvwSpWa8/TW-o0kwv6tI/AAAAAAAAA0w/OYuzAcebpUY/s640/IMG_1381.JPG

That's it. Minimalism!

Open the door:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_N90ZvwSpWa8/TW-pJML-N7I/AAAAAAAAA1A/4XXtJpq31fY/s640/IMG_1383.JPG

The Quad 405 is facing back with its heat sink poking out of the back of the Ikea box.

Above you can see the Caiman DAC which takes optical in from the TV, RCA S/PDIF from the Squeezebox which sits in front of the TV, and there is a USB cable loose at the back of the TV in case I want to run the laptop straight into the DAC. There is is a long HDMI cable running along the skirting board. I pull it out from under the sofa and plug the laptop in to see BBC iPlayer content.

That will do for now. In the longer term I will put a small format PC on the back of the TV or in the Ikea box and use Remote Desktop to control it.

And looking down the room at my beautiful redecoration and the new carpet:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_N90ZvwSpWa8/TW-o0YKM2nI/AAAAAAAAA0s/3OMLWXf3KY0/s640/IMG_1379.JPG

The curtains have yet to be hung, but we do have shutters.

(Uploaded from Linux Mint running Chromium)

ralphpnj
2011-03-03, 08:45
The loathsome chore - redecoration; but it has given me the opportunity to tidy up the AV.

That's it. Minimalism!

Open the door:

The Quad 405 is facing back with its heat sink poking out of the back of the Ikea box.

Above you can see the Caiman DAC which takes optical in from the TV, RCA S/PDIF from the Squeezebox which sits in front of the TV, and there is a USB cable loose at the back of the TV in case I want to run the laptop straight into the DAC. There is is a long HDMI cable running along the skirting board. I pull it out from under the sofa and plug the laptop in to see BBC iPlayer content.

That will do for now. In the longer term I will put a small format PC on the back of the TV or in the Ikea box and use Remote Desktop to control it.

The curtains have yet to be hung, but we do have shutters

Very nice and very clean looking. Hope you manage to keep things this tidy for long time.

Mnyb
2011-03-03, 12:00

So:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_N90ZvwSpWa8/TW-o0kwv6tI/AAAAAAAAA0w/OYuzAcebpUY/s640/IMG_1381.JPG

That's it. Minimalism!

Open the door:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_N90ZvwSpWa8/TW-pJML-N7I/AAAAAAAAA1A/4XXtJpq31fY/s640/IMG_1383.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_N90ZvwSpWa8/TW-o0YKM2nI/AAAAAAAAA0s/3OMLWXf3KY0/s640/IMG_1379.JPG

The curtains have yet to be hung, but we do have shutters.

(Uploaded from Linux Mint running Chromium)

Very minimal but probably good sounding and not to expensive, well balanced setup :)

A lot of old Quad exposed lately , they probaly last a long time and are servicable.

Labarum
2011-03-04, 10:15
But this is acoustically and domestically better:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_N90ZvwSpWa8/TXEbJZxlhcI/AAAAAAAAA2M/1ovctiESOao/s640/IMG_1391.JPG

NateX
2011-03-29, 20:12
Some very nice and very unique setups here folks. I am impressed.

NateX
2011-03-29, 21:53
I am a new user and recently picked up a Duet for about 50% off on an Amazon Gold Box deal, and after working through a couple of issues (all mine) I have it up and running nicely with SBS on my Win2k3 file server. I had to remove VMware Server from the file server as something about the way VMware hooks into the TCP/IP stack was causing the connection between the SBR and SBS to reset making tracks skip before finishing. The only other issue was that almost half of the 14,378 songs in my music library had really screwed up tags, thanks to WMP, and so it is hard to navigate the library. I am in the process of using mp3tag to update all of the tags and then I'll be set. As far as WMP goes, I personally don't use it (I ditched Windows years ago), and now that I have discovered the sweetness of SoftSqueeze/Squeezeplay, my wife won't use it either. WMP has some pretty insidious auto-tagging options that can really screw up a media library.

My library is a mixed bag of 128k to 320k MP3, AAC, Apple Lossless, and WMA Lossless, some ripped from CD, some from Amazon MP3 and some from iTunes. Some day I will undertake the daunting task of migrating everything to FLAC, but for now, I am just happy I can finally play it all from one location. I'm also running the newly released Squeezebox Controller App for Android (came out the day UPS dropped off my Duet), and after the 3/27 update, it's working nicely. I will probably be picking up another Squeezebox of some variety for the bedroom system.

Anyway, this thread of great audio equipment inspired me to snap some pics of my A/V setup. It is modest compared to some here, but it is a good balance of a decent listening system and a good HT/gaming setup.

My duet (Currently hooked up with Coax AND Analog so my Zone 2 speakers work with it):
http://www.natesoutpost.com/public/sdf_system_duet_lg.jpg

The goods (See below):
http://www.natesoutpost.com/public/sdf_system_front_lg.jpg

One of my rear surrounds:
http://www.natesoutpost.com/public/sdf_system_surround_lg.jpg

A shot from the back of the room for scale:
http://www.natesoutpost.com/public/sdf_system_back_lg.jpg

Current gear:
Onkyo TX-SR604 Receiver
Onkyo DV-SP404 DVD Player
JVC XL-FZ258 5-disc CD changer
DirecTV HR-20 DVR/Sat Receiver
Samsung HLS5087W DLP TV
Belkin PureAV UPS/Surge Protector
Athena AS-F1.2 mains
Athena AS-C1.2 center
Athena AS-B1.2 x4 surrounds
Athena PS6000 subwoofer
XBOX360 and accessories

All the components are hooked up via HDMI or optical except the SBR (out of opti inputs) and all cables are from *gasp* Monoprice <insert smiley here>. My speaker runs are done with regular, generic 12 gauge speaker cable but they are terminated correctly with banana plugs and pins, all soldered. Beyond that, I have some 2 x 4 x 2" fiberglass panels cut from a 2 x 10 sheet of ductboard that I will hang once I get around to upholstering them. Much more would require some serious construction efforts and would endanger the WAF. She only approves now because of movies and video games (It's for the kids!).

Thanks for looking!

aubuti
2011-03-30, 07:26
My library is a mixed bag of 128k to 320k MP3, AAC, Apple Lossless, and WMA Lossless, some ripped from CD, some from Amazon MP3 and some from iTunes. Some day I will undertake the daunting task of migrating everything to FLAC, but for now, I am just happy I can finally play it all from one location.
Welcome to the forums and the world of Squeezebox. You may well already know this, but just in case... you may not find it worth it to migrate _everything_ to FLAC. Those lossy MP3 and AAC tracks won't get any better by transcoding them to FLAC. On the other hand, there is one small advantage to converting even those to FLAC, and that is that you would be dealing with only one tagging system. It's probably a mental block on my part, but I find the whole TPE1, TPE2, TPE3, TPOS, etc. of ID3v2 tags a real pain to deal with compared to ARTIST, ALBUMARTIST, etc. The FLAC files will take more space than lossy files, but disk space is so cheap that won't matter.

NateX
2011-03-30, 13:32
Welcome to the forums and the world of Squeezebox. You may well already know this, but just in case... you may not find it worth it to migrate _everything_ to FLAC. Those lossy MP3 and AAC tracks won't get any better by transcoding them to FLAC. On the other hand, there is one small advantage to converting even those to FLAC, and that is that you would be dealing with only one tagging system. It's probably a mental block on my part, but I find the whole TPE1, TPE2, TPE3, TPOS, etc. of ID3v2 tags a real pain to deal with compared to ARTIST, ALBUMARTIST, etc. The FLAC files will take more space than lossy files, but disk space is so cheap that won't matter.

Thanks! Yep, which is why I will try to find suitable lossless replacements for them before conversion, or not bother at all. Most of my important stuff is in ALAC or WMA Lossless anyway. My wife and I (mostly my wife) undertook ripping all of our CDs to lossless a couple of years ago. As for tagging, doesn't software like mp3tag eliminate the concerns around having different tags since it is "tag agnostic"? I am new to managing my music library at this level, so I may be missing something.

aubuti
2011-03-30, 15:02
As for tagging, doesn't software like mp3tag eliminate the concerns around having different tags since it is "tag agnostic"? I am new to managing my music library at this level, so I may be missing something.
Yes, mp3tag is very good for hiding the underlying differences in the tagging schemes and presenting them as if they were a single unified system. However, it's not perfect. I understand that in a recent release mp3tag changed one (or more) of the default mappings between ID3v2 and what it presents on the screen, and that has caused problems for some users. But still much better than having to deal directly with multiple tagging systems.

alZmtbr
2011-05-07, 03:58
This is our 'place by the Lake', some folks have cottages, we have a condo.

The Slimdevices branded SqueezeBox Classic can just be seen next to the bryston B-60R, and is being fed from a Mac Mini and then passed thru an ARCAM rDAC.

Alco
2011-05-11, 10:15
http://members.home.nl/koerts/system_04_2011_front.JPG

http://members.home.nl/koerts/systempic_front_grayscale.jpg

KLoNe
2011-05-18, 17:12
Not a pic, but this is my current Squeezebox Setup :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fERBCnXNWl4

Mr. Floppy
2011-05-26, 02:24
http://members.home.nl/koerts/system_04_2011_front.JPG

Simple and very nice

bigbossman
2011-05-26, 17:14
Here’s the latest incarnation - Touch feeding a DacMagic and into the mighty Korsun V8i. Then into my luscious DIY Voigt ‘Vofo’ single driver speakers :)

ajkidle
2011-05-27, 04:22
Nothing horribly exotic: SB3, Denon AVR-990, Definitive Mythos XTR-50's, paired with a SuperCube II (not shown.) Oh, and a TV too -- I might use that someday when we got bored with the Squeezebox. The flash really exposes some of the cable clutter, but that's normally hidden in the shadows.

All mounted nice and tight to the wall.

Amauta
2011-05-27, 23:30

That black board under the dac and squeezebox touch does make the setup look so much nicer. Good idea!

Vanderham
2011-06-23, 11:47
Duet setup with Inguz DRC

ralphpnj
2011-06-23, 12:07
Duet setup with Inguz DRC

Yeah but what about the equipment we can see, such as the turntable, tonearm cartridge, the tubed amp and the speakers?

Vanderham
2011-06-23, 13:29
Yeah but what about the equipment we can see, such as the turntable, tonearm cartridge, the tubed amp and the speakers?

Sorry..
TT: Micro Seiki BL-51, Tonearm: SME Series 3S with Benz Ace (medium) cartridge, Phonopreamp: Pro-ject Tubebox 2, Amp: KT88 PP (DIY), Speakers: 1 pair of JMLAB (Focal)Chorus 716-S.

ralphpnj
2011-06-23, 14:32
Sorry..
TT: Micro Seiki BL-51, Tonearm: SME Series 3S with Benz Ace (medium) cartridge, Phonopreamp: Pro-ject Tubebox 2, Amp: KT88 PP (DIY), Speakers: 1 pair of JMLAB (Focal)Chorus 716-S.

Very nice. Thanks!

frantic
2011-07-04, 12:07
2 Radios in a small, longish kitchen. One for each channel (left / right).
Placement of the Radios is diagonally in the room. Sounds quite nice.

bajaed
2011-07-05, 08:14
I noticed your system has some components that I also have, a Music Hall 7.1 and a Rogue Cronus. I just got my Rogue a few days ago and am trying to get my system set up so I can use my AVR for 5.1 and my Rogue for 2.1 music. The front L/R's and sub need to do double duty. I'd like to get some advice from you.

I just joined and don't see a PM feature. Is there one?

Thanks

Let's see...

Squeezebox Duet
Scott Nixon TubeDac and 3Xac power supply
Rogue Audio Cronus integrated amp
Chicago Speakerworks (these days Van L Speakerworks) setup I bought in 1984

The Cronus and mains also serve as the fronts for the AV rig housed in the cabinet under the flat screen. You also see:

Sony 75ES DAT deck
T-amp that takes signal from the Cronus' pre-outs to speakers in another room
Music Hall MMF 7.1
Dynavector 10X5 phono cartridge

bullethead
2011-07-30, 14:59
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-PF-YO1hswgo/Tf_YQAVi1aI/AAAAAAAACIM/Y3IbTTE190o/s800/sys73m.png

I tweaked the system. I got rid of the TV :)

xcraft
2011-08-02, 14:31
Also using an adcom ace-515 for power conditioning, salamander 5.0 rack, and all emotiva cabling.

c-eling
2011-08-24, 12:38
here's my budget system,squeezebox running through my acer iconia!

chn68b
2011-08-25, 04:49
My latest update

ralphpnj
2011-08-25, 04:57
My latest update

Great choice for an album cover to display. Gotta love The Kinks.

netchord
2011-08-25, 09:06
looks better w/o the TV. ;)

Mnyb
2011-08-25, 16:41
Oh a classic Thorens turntable :) nice

chn68b
2011-08-27, 14:51
looks better w/o the TV. ;)

:)

Its not a TV cabinet...its obviously not a Hi-Fi cab either, but it does the job. I've listened to numerous racks over the years at various shows and not one of them made any difference whatsoever.

sydneyvj
2011-09-17, 05:03
Squeezebox Touch-> Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC-> Parasound Halo P7-> Cinenova Grande 7-> Canton GLE 409

Viragored
2011-10-09, 21:45
My latest update

That Kinks album was just great! I wore mine out before moving over to CDs ;-)

matthijskoopmans
2011-10-29, 22:44
My simple setup - Note it is the original Slim Devices Squeezebox Classic still going strong :)

castalla
2011-10-30, 06:04
!

ralphpnj
2011-10-30, 06:11
!

The perfection comes from the "cheap unbranded optical cable" since as they say "bits is bits".

Panotaker
2011-11-12, 15:18
Although I have a Squeezebox Radio, an SB3, and a Transporter, here is the cool component in my setup. A Wurlitzer 1015 OMT vinyl jukebox.
http://www.pbase.com/panotaker/image/132924941.jpg

ralphpnj
2011-11-12, 17:08
Although I have a Squeezebox Radio, an SB3, and a Transporter, here is the cool component in my setup. A Wurlitzer 1015 OMT vinyl jukebox.

I guess that means that it doesn't play flac files ;)

Panotaker
2011-11-13, 06:22
I guess that means that it doesn't play flac files ;)
Actually, they make an adapter for the amp that will give you line input. So you can hook up a SB to it and play Flac files.

ralphpnj
2011-11-13, 06:30
Actually, they make an adapter for the amp that will give you line input. So you can hook up a SB to it and play Flac files.

Interesting. Does it take quarters?

On a more serious note, where do you find 45 rpm singles?

Labarum
2011-11-13, 06:30
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GfW-LR3ixU0/TrlO-RiOzEI/AAAAAAAABiA/7zMXuacypuE/s640/IMG_1533.JPG

The Squeezebox Classic sits in front of the TV. In the box under the TV is a Beresford Caiman DAC taking switchabale S/PDIF input from either the TV or the SB. The DAC has a volume control and drives a Quad 520f power amp which is also in the box.

At the corner of the two sofas you will see an HDMI cable - I can plug in my laptop to drive the TV.

Does it need to be more complicated?

slate
2011-11-13, 09:04
Having a lazy sunday so here you go; both my livingroom and homeoffice setup are squeezed
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8181

ralphpnj
2011-11-13, 09:16
Having a lazy sunday so here you go; both my livingroom and homeoffice setup are squeezed
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8181

Nice setups! May I suggest that you consider upgrading your Squeezebox receivers to Squeezebox Touches. I upgraded a Receiver to a Touch a while back and the improvement was very noticeable, whether using the internal DAC (the Touch's analog ouputs are vastly better than the those of the Receiver) or an external DAC (still an improvement but not quite so vast).

slate
2011-11-13, 09:53
Nice setups! May I suggest that you consider upgrading your Squeezebox receivers to Squeezebox Touches. I upgraded a Receiver to a Touch a while back and the improvement was very noticeable, whether using the internal DAC (the Touch's analog ouputs are vastly better than the those of the Receiver) or an external DAC (still an improvement but not quite so vast).

Going optical into my Beresford Caiman+ (Gatorized) gave it a lift in the right direction.
Quite happy with my livingroom setup and not sure that the Touch will give that much more... except hi-def option

And the tread is not fully updated; I bought a another Caiman for my homeoffice.
Note to self: update my tread on AOS

Panotaker
2011-11-13, 14:58
Interesting. Does it take quarters?

On a more serious note, where do you find 45 rpm singles?
Yes it takes quarters, or you can set it on free play so that it doesn't need quarters. I have mine set on free play.

You can get 45rpm vinyl records just about any where. I got most of mine from used records stores. You can buy new ones from oldies.com or a bunch of other places. They also make a CD version of my jukebox. It looks basically the same, but it plays CD's instead of vinyl. I chose the vinyl version. Here is a video Of my jukebox in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_mNN7tZdv0

ralphpnj
2011-11-14, 16:50
Yes it takes quarters, or you can set it on free play so that it doesn't need quarters. I have mine set on free play.

You can get 45rpm vinyl records just about any where. I got most of mine from used records stores. You can buy new ones from oldies.com or a bunch of other places. They also make a CD version of my jukebox. It looks basically the same, but it plays CD's instead of vinyl. I chose the vinyl version. Here is a video Of my jukebox in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_mNN7tZdv0

Checked out the video - very nice!

And I came up with another silly question: where do you get the labels that go in the jukebox?

Panotaker
2011-11-14, 17:22
Checked out the video - very nice!

And I came up with another silly question: where do you get the labels that go in the jukebox?

The labels I print out on my computer printer. There are free programs available that let you type in the song and the artist for the strips.

Sounds like you might be interested in getting a jukebox. Mine is a Wurlitzer 1015 One More Time Vinyl jukebox. It is made by Gibson, the guitar people. I got mine used. It came out of The Texas Roadhouse Restaurant. It didn't work when I got it, but I got someone to fix it for me. It is a reproduction of the 1946 Wurlitzer 1015. Those play 78s instead of 45s. Jukeboxes are built like a tank, and pretty much play forever once they are fixed, especially in a home since they dont get abused as much.

ralphpnj
2011-11-14, 17:46
The labels I print out on my computer printer. There are free programs available that let you type in the song and the artist for the strips.

Sounds like you might be interested in getting a jukebox. Mine is a Wurlitzer 1015 One More Time Vinyl jukebox. It is made by Gibson, the guitar people. I got mine used. It came out of The Texas Roadhouse Restaurant. It didn't work when I got it, but I got someone to fix it for me. It is a reproduction of the 1946 Wurlitzer 1015. Those play 78s instead of 45s. Jukeboxes are built like a tank, and pretty much play forever once they are fixed, especially in a home since they dont get abused as much.

Actually I'm not really interested in getting a jukebox but they are fascinating nonetheless. Besides it appears that your Wurlitzer has found a very nice home, one with plenty of TLC instead of abuse.

Recoveryone
2011-12-07, 11:39
I had not realize that I have not posted a pic of my SB's, I have 3 and soon a transporter will be added: The Family room, Bedroom and media room

NoRoDa
2011-12-09, 10:45
Squeeze'n'vinyl

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a270/RODARID/HiFi_2011/005.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a270/RODARID/Rega/IMG_4821.jpg

ralphpnj
2011-12-09, 11:02
Squeeze'n'vinyl

Nice rig. Would you mind giving those of us who still spin vinyl some details?

NoRoDa
2011-12-09, 15:37
Nice rig. Would you mind giving those of us who still spin vinyl some details?

Thanks

Rega P5, RB700, Ortofon Rondo Blue Cartridge
Groovetracer Reference Subplatter
Groovetracer Counterweight
Michael Lim Dual Pulley
2 Rega White Belts
Rega TT-PSU

Rotel Michi RHQ-10 phono amplifier

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a270/RODARID/HiFi_2011/IMG_4740.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a270/RODARID/HiFi_2011/IMG_4605.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a270/RODARID/Rega/mat4.jpg

ralphpnj
2011-12-09, 15:43
Thanks

Rega P5, RB700, Ortofon Rondo Blue Cartridge
Groovetracer Reference Subplatter
Groovetracer Counterweight
Michael Lim Dual Pulley
2 Rega White Belts
Rega TT-PSU

Rotel Michi RHQ-10 phono amplifier

Sweet, very sweet. Thanks!

Recoveryone
2011-12-09, 22:27
Just got the transporter in:

bhaagensen
2011-12-10, 00:29
Congrats - you may want to post it om the Transporter thread though:)

pjdowns
2011-12-28, 09:25
2011 system pics:

I have a crapy HP camera so the pictures are not as good as I would have hoped...

CDI, Squeezebox Touch & Beresford DAC:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/pjdowns/HPIM0069.jpg

Lounge System - Shelves 1 - 4:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/pjdowns/HPIM0077.jpg

Lounge System - Shelves 2 - 5:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/pjdowns/HPIM0073.jpg

Bedroom System - Squeezebox Classic, Rega Ear and Sennheiser Headphones:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/pjdowns/HPIM0084.jpg

ralphpnj
2011-12-28, 09:37
2011 system pics:

I have a crapy HP camera so the pictures are not as good as I would have hoped...

CDI, Squeezebox Touch & Beresford DAC:

Lounge System - Shelves 1 - 4:

Lounge System - Shelves 2 - 5:

Bedroom System - Squeezebox Classic, Rega Ear and Sennheiser Headphones:

Don't ask which computer someone is using ... if they're a Apple Mac user they'll tell you, if they're a PC user, why embarrass them.

Nice set up. Now please explain the nasty signature line. In the name of fairness perhaps you should add a second line, such as "And if they're using a Mac don't ask them to do anything with the computer, why embarrass them."

Recoveryone
2011-12-28, 10:06
what is the trick to posting pic? I have tried photobucket, Imageshack and directly from my comp. reduced the size to match the uploard specs and I still get an error msg. all photo's are in jpg format.

aubuti
2011-12-28, 10:13
what is the trick to posting pic? I have tried photobucket, Imageshack and directly from my comp. reduced the size to match the uploard specs and I still get an error msg. all photo's are in jpg format.
There's no trick. Just use the "Manage Attachments" button in the "Additional Options" section when making a post. What you did previously (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=675236#post675236) seemed to work fine.

pjdowns
2011-12-28, 11:36
ralphpnj - Nasty signature hmm no, humorous yes :)

Bit of a Apple fan here in case you hadn't guessed LOL

Paul.

Recoveryone
2011-12-28, 11:43
There's no trick. Just use the "Manage Attachments" button in the "Additional Options" section when making a post. What you did previously (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=675236#post675236) seemed to work fine.

The last time was a pain also, in every way I have tried I get the same result "not valid file" I have posted the same pic on another forum without a problem using imageshack URL.

aubuti
2011-12-28, 12:03
Ok, there seems to be something wrong with the forum software. I just tried using the same simple method that has worked reliably for me in the past (Manage Attachments > Choose File > [select JPG file from my computer] > Upload) and got the "This is not a valid image file" error message. Report it to the moderators.

Recoveryone
2011-12-28, 12:08
Ok, there seems to be something wrong with the forum software. I just tried using the same simple method that has worked reliably for me in the past (Manage Attachments > Choose File > [select JPG file from my computer] > Upload) and got the "This is not a valid image file" error message. Report it to the moderators.

glad to see it was not just me :)

fillmore
2011-12-28, 12:50
Nice set up. Now please explain the nasty signature line.
just another who doesnt mind paying twice as much for the same performance.

garym
2011-12-28, 12:53

Same problem for me.

ralphpnj
2011-12-28, 13:16
ralphpnj - Nasty signature hmm no, humorous yes :)

Bit of a Apple fan here in case you hadn't guessed LOL

Paul.

just another who doesnt mind paying twice as much for the same performance.

Okay before this pleasant little thread turns into a flame war let me try and clear the air. I am not an Apple fan, which is true for many of the members here, simply because Apple refuses to recognize flac files, the otherwise universally accepted lossless digital audio file format. That being said I recently recommended to my daughter that she get a Mac Book Pro since: 1) she got a 25% discount through a friend and b) an Apple laptop will suit her needs to a tee since she already has an iPhone and an iPod Nano and doesn't care about flac files.

And for the record I am NOT embarrassed about having owned and still owning several non-Apple/Mac PCs. They, unlike Apple/Mac PCs, recognize and play well with flac files.

netchord
2011-12-28, 13:52
[QUOTE=pjdowns;679946]2011 system pics:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/pjdowns/HPIM0073.jpg

nice to see the classic exposure gear- i used to own an exposure xx integrated, which i loved for the sound.

Recoveryone
2011-12-30, 11:48
Same problem for me.

I tried to used my work PC and had the same results, so it is something wrong with the sites systems.

ob_kook
2012-01-03, 17:45
Updated pics after changing Duet to Touch, and adding an Audio-gd DAC (balanced).

Me likey!http://img.tapatalk.com/20987744-a083-ef30.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/20987744-a09c-e689.jpg

Touch
Audio-gd NFB-10SE
Portal Paladin monoblocks
Dynaudio Contour 1.3 mkII

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk

ralphpnj
2012-01-03, 18:16
Updated pics after changing Duet to Touch, and adding an Audio-gd DAC (balanced).

Me likey!http://img.tapatalk.com/20987744-a083-ef30.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/20987744-a09c-e689.jpg

Touch
Audio-gd NFB-10SE
Portal Paladin monoblocks
Dynaudio Contour 1.3 mkII

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk

Very nice. I like the way the room is set up and decorated. Using the side table as an equipment stand is a great idea and really helps the audio equipment blend in nicely. I'm also pretty sure that it sounds as nice as it looks.

Recoveryone
2012-01-11, 14:36
here's a look at my Samsung focus Win7 phone squeezebox app controlling the transporter in the back ground, who needs a touch :(

castalla
2012-01-11, 16:33
I do ... because I don't have a Samsung focus Win7 phone nor a Transporter.

Next?

Viragored
2012-01-12, 18:45
For ages now I've been meaning to try and take some photos of the setup, and I've finally done it. They may not be masterpieces, but here they are.

The kit all lives inside a 'dark cupboard'. There's a trolley rack in there for when the stuff has to come out for some attention, but mostly it lives behind closed doors. That's one of the ceiling speakers in the study/office by the cupboard door.

Top to bottom, the rack has Sony minidisc, Panasonic HD/DVD recorder/player, Yamaha CD recorder/player (now redundant) with the Squeezebox Duet to the left standing on its edge. Next layer down is a Freeview satellite decoder, Sky satellite decoder, Sony digital/FM tuner. Then the big and heavy boxes - Yamaha RX-V2700 home theatre receiver and finally Speakercraft MZC66 which controls everything via infra red - and does a great job.

I got a cabinet made to house the CDs and DVDs. There are about 2000 discs in there - the rest have to go somewhere else, unfortunately.

Hardest to photograph was our quiet lounge/hifi room/cinema. One pic shows the room in its 'daylight' state, with the blinds letting light in and the screen up. The other shows the blinds closed and Joe Bonamassa playing at the Royal Albert Hall through the Jamo surround sound speakers. Photo taken at midday at the height of summer here, and I'm surprised the blinds do a good enough job to see the picture on the screen.

We're well pleased with the way the set up works, and not having cables trailing around the place is a huge bonus. All the rooms (apart from the hifi lounge) have ceiling speakers, and TVs are wall mounted with cables through the walls. We were lucky to be able to plan all that into the house that we built :)

Recoveryone
2012-01-13, 14:55
very nice, is that a drop down screen for the projector?

Viragored
2012-01-14, 17:00
very nice, is that a drop down screen for the projector?

Yes, sure is. The screen is an Elite 92 inch diagonal. Infra red control for the motor, worked via the Speakercraft control system.

slate
2012-01-14, 17:10
If you had not added an arrow to point out the Duet Receiver I would not have seen it.... that is why I like the displayless receiver :)

Viragored
2012-01-15, 14:51
If you had not added an arrow to point out the Duet Receiver I would not have seen it.... that is why I like the displayless receiver :)

And if I had a longer optical cable to connect the Squeezebox to the Yamaha theatre amplifier, I'd be able to put the Duet flat which would please me. But as it's behind the cupboard door it really doesn't matter much ;-)

Recoveryone
2012-01-28, 10:27
only those with highlevel broadband should view, I plan on doing some up to date videos for youtube on Squeezebox gear that I have along with info on LMS, so any suggestion are welcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sTvehjz32A

Recoveryone
2012-02-01, 22:23
Here is the first of a series of videos I am doing as I build this 2ch setup.

Unboxing of Fluance SX HTB Fronts:
http://youtu.be/NzTnVSmeR2c

gimme2it
2012-02-02, 21:08
hey Recoveryone....

wow. i never thought i'd see another cassette deck like mine, but now i have. do you still use it?

at first glance the difference between them is yours is a CT-M66R and mine is a CT-M6R. don't know of any other, but they look the same :)

Recoveryone
2012-02-03, 14:44
hey Recoveryone....

wow. i never thought i'd see another cassette deck like mine, but now i have. do you still use it?

at first glance the difference between them is yours is a CT-M66R and mine is a CT-M6R. don't know of any other, but they look the same :)

:) I had the M6R before and it started having issues with a loud squeeling sound. I found this M66R about 6 or 7 years ago online it comes with a remote and the HDX is apart of the playback and recording process. I use it about once or twice a year just to keep it running. Before Squeezebox, I use my cassette player quite a bit, as I had most of my music colletions on cassette.

Recoveryone
2012-02-07, 16:39
I'm off today and doing my little video project. The first one is on the LMS:

http://youtu.be/HbQhxJt4mQ0

Squeezebox Classic intro:

Part 1: http://youtu.be/zoOxhoxYMWU

Part 2: http://youtu.be/RM8udM-GmQw

Smart phone App:

http://youtu.be/aziwxWwtMN0

Sound test of 2ch setup with SB Classic

http://youtu.be/0GCbHU4mm_k

albertone74
2012-03-10, 09:36
Hello everyone!
Such a fantastic thread!!! Nice to see so many different systems here.
Hope you can see my pictures...

Primary system:
Squuezebox Touch + iPad2 with iPeng
Little Doc DAC I
Virtue Audio One
Philips DVP3580
Mission M34i

Secondary system:
Squeezebox 3 + iPad2 with iPeng
Cambridge Audio DacMagic
Cambridge Audio Azur 640C V2
Little Dot III
AKG K 702

Regards,
Albertone74

Recoveryone
2012-04-12, 08:05
After I brought the Transporter I had an extra SB3, so I put together this 2ch setup

joz
2012-05-14, 13:54
Updated pics

All being driven by an SB3

The speakers are SGR Illuminators btw.

kidstypike
2012-05-14, 16:19
If I were you, I'd swap those speakers for some big ones :)

trouty00
2012-05-15, 13:06
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5441/7173043720_b273d1f7f7.jpg[

ralphpnj
2012-05-15, 13:16
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5441/7173043720_b273d1f7f7.jpg[

Where is the spout?

joz
2012-05-15, 21:22
If I were you, I'd swap those speakers for some big ones :)

Sounds like a plan!

But seriously, I am yet to find their limits with either orchestral, dance or rock.
They just keep getting louder without any dynamic compression.
They image like crazy and just keep me smiling.

bernt
2012-05-15, 23:55
http://www.minhembio.com/bilder/hq/?pic_id=411072.jpg

trouty00
2012-05-18, 07:30
Where is the spout?

spout???

ralphpnj
2012-05-18, 09:02
spout???

As in:

s_k
2012-09-30, 10:56
Here's my living room set-up:
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n268/stijnkraft/AnalogAudio/IMG_4635-1.jpg
The Squeezebox is obviously in front of my tapedeck. It's a classic.
Amplifier is an Audio Analogue Bellini Pre and Donizetti Power amplifier.
The record player's a Modified Thorens TD-160B with a Linn Basik arm and Goldring Eroica LX I'm borrowing from a friend.
I own a Rega P25 with RB250 arm and Goldring 1022GX myself and a Seiki DQX500. Even though the Thorens 'should' be the least interesting record player of them all the modifications have brought it to a whole new level. It kicks my other two players' (And the Technics SL-1200 with Denon DL-110 I'm using in my 'studio' setup) asses.
I'm going to build a similar Thorens myself. The record player will be up against the wall soon instead of on the little table.
I'll make a record player shelf with some room in it for my Squeezebox and some remotes.
Then there's a Myryad T-10 CD player and a Nakamichi BX-150 cassette deck.
There's a ESI U24 USB Sound Card hidden somewhere. When I want to record something, I hook a laptop up to that soundcard.

Speakers are Magnepan SMGa's.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n268/stijnkraft/AnalogAudio/noedit7van9.jpg

ralphpnj
2012-09-30, 11:37
Here's my living room set-up:

The Squeezebox is obviously in front of my tapedeck. It's a classic.
Amplifier is an Audio Analogue Bellini Pre and Donizetti Power amplifier.
The record player's a Modified Thorens TD-160B with a Linn Basik arm and Goldring Eroica LX I'm borrowing from a friend.
I own a Rega P25 with RB250 arm and Goldring 1022GX myself and a Seiki DQX500. Even though the Thorens 'should' be the least interesting record player of them all the modifications have brought it to a whole new level. It kicks my other two players' (And the Technics SL-1200 with Denon DL-110 I'm using in my 'studio' setup) asses.
I'm going to build a similar Thorens myself. The record player will be up against the wall soon instead of on the little table.
I'll make a record player shelf with some room in it for my Squeezebox and some remotes.
Then there's a Myryad T-10 CD player and a Nakamichi BX-150 cassette deck.
There's a ESI U24 USB Sound Card hidden somewhere. When I want to record something, I hook a laptop up to that soundcard.

Speakers are Magnepan SMGa's.

Very nice setup. You have identified everything but that vintage reel to reel tape deck. It looks very familiar (from my old college radio days back in the mid 1970s) but I can't remember the name. Perhaps you would be kind enough to help me with the name. Thanks!

s_k
2012-09-30, 12:41
It's a TEAC A-3300SX, one of my many (50+) reel to reel decks.
As you can see it's quite rare for me to use something so 'digital' in my setup. The Squeezebox must do something right!

ralphpnj
2012-09-30, 13:47
It's a TEAC A-3300SX, one of my many (50+) reel to reel decks.
As you can see it's quite rare for me to use something so 'digital' in my setup. The Squeezebox must do something right!

Thanks! A TEAC A-3300SX, no wonder it looks so familiar. Although that particular model does not appear to be an "editing" deck, I'm pretty sure that the radio station I worked at did have a TEAC unit which was set up for editing, i.e. it was mounted on a stand, laying flat and had an editing block located on top of the tape head cover. Or I could be totally wrong and the TEAC was in the broadcast studio and there were completely different editing tape decks in the production studio. It's been a long, long time since I was in college editing radio programs.

garym
2012-09-30, 14:02
Thanks! A TEAC A-3300SX, no wonder it looks so familiar. Although that particular model does not appear to be an "editing" deck, I'm pretty sure that the radio station I worked at did have a TEAC unit which was set up for editing, i.e. it was mounted on a stand, laying flat and had an editing block located on top of the tape head cover. Or I could be totally wrong and the TEAC was in the broadcast studio and there were completely different editing tape decks in the production studio. It's been a long, long time since I was in college editing radio programs.

I agree. It certainly makes more sense to me to piggyback (with software) on other folk's hardware to use as SB replacements (e.g., iPeng and SqueezePad both do that for me). The connection from the iphone or ipad out to something else still leaves something to be desired for me (it won't connect easily to another DAC, etc.), but the idea is that Pippin didn't have to deal with creating the hardware seems the right approach to me. Of course DIYers can always do something with hardware on a small scale.

EDIT: Yes, this has nothing to do with this thread. Don't drink and post. ;-0 (and I've only had one beer on this nice Sunday afternoon!)

ralphpnj
2012-09-30, 14:07
I agree. It certainly makes more sense to me to piggyback (with software) on other folk's hardware to use as SB replacements (e.g., iPeng and SqueezePad both do that for me). The connection from the iphone or ipad out to something else still leaves something to be desired for me (it won't connect easily to another DAC, etc.), but the idea is that Pippin didn't have to deal with creating the hardware seems the right approach to me. Of course DIYers can always do something with hardware on a small scale.

Gary - did you mean to post this to a different thread? Perhaps the thread about buying a new Touch?

s_k
2012-09-30, 14:09
If it wasn't too big of a radio station you can be quite sure that the machine used there was a ReVox, either an A77 or a B77.
It could have been a TEAC, but TEAC never really made any editing decks. It probably was a Tascam then (Sort of "Teac Pro" machinerie).
If it was a really very heavy (more than 50 kilo's) machine with pancakes, it probably was something entirely different.

Was the front made out of metal? And did the editing block come as stock, or was it added later on? Did it include a cutting knife or just a 'tape gutter'?

s_k
2012-09-30, 14:09
Gary - did you mean to post this to a different thread? Perhaps the thread about buying a new Touch?
Haha, it certainly has nothing to do with the TEAC. Although I don't mind being quoted.

garym
2012-09-30, 14:18

Yep. duh. don't know how that happened. reposted in the right place. thanks!\

edit: or maybe this is an example of the non-bit perfect stuff that I debate about in other threads. Perhaps I've suffered from the dreaded bit-rot and the bits I sent to the forum turned into something completely nonsensical. I may have to change my beliefs in the face of this evidence. bits are no longer bits. oh my. :-p

ralphpnj
2012-09-30, 14:18
If it wasn't too big of a radio station you can be quite sure that the machine used there was a ReVox, either an A77 or a B77.
It could have been a TEAC, but TEAC never really made any editing decks. It probably was a Tascam then (Sort of "Teac Pro" machinerie).
If it was a really very heavy (more than 50 kilo's) machine with pancakes, it probably was something entirely different.

Was the front made out of metal? And did the editing block come as stock, or was it added later on? Did it include a cutting knife or just a 'tape gutter'?

Boy I would love to be able to answer all your questions but alas my memory is not that good. However I do believe that the editing decks were indeed ReVox units and there may have even been a Tascam as well. What I do remember of the editing blocks is that they were stock, i.e. built into the tape deck, and we used a trusty razor blade to cut the tape. The editing block did have several different guide slots in it (straight and 45 degrees - left and right).

s_k
2012-09-30, 14:50
Recorders with stock multi-angle guide slots... Might take some time to figure this one out, haha.
The ReVox B77 and PR99 both had a built in cutter, the A77 had a tapecut-guide, but no (angled) cutting slots.
If you can think of any other details I don't mind trying to find out which machine it was/were.

What studio was it, anyway?

My studio is just a hobby project ;-)
http://i49.tinypic.com/2yy877s.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/jgrrk5.jpg

and then there's the attic...

http://i46.tinypic.com/k4jrls.jpg

http://i47.tinypic.com/2rgjceo.jpg

Glad I have the space to store all this!
No Squeezeboxes there though. So let's get back ontopic :-D

ralphpnj
2012-09-30, 15:15
Recorders with stock multi-angle guide slots... Might take some time to figure this one out, haha.
The ReVox B77 and PR99 both had a built in cutter, the A77 had a tapecut-guide, but no (angled) cutting slots.
If you can think of any other details I don't mind trying to find out which machine it was/were.

No need to find out what machine it was but thanks for the offer, I only mentioned it because one so rarely sees a good old analog reel to reel tape deck in these digital times :) For the record, it was WUSB 90.1 FM, the radio station of Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, NY.

s_k
2012-09-30, 17:17
I'm glad to say there's plenty of tapedecks left. Some of them virtually worthless, some of them worth thousands.
It's nice to see how, after 30, 40, 50, sometimes 60 years these machines are still built to last.

garym
2012-09-30, 18:11
Great pics. I have fond memories of my Teac reel-to-reel deck.

Ikabob
2012-10-01, 03:55
Yes, me too. I loved my Teac reel-to-real purchased in my youth. I still have it but my wife is very persistent in asking me to get rid of it. I refuse for sentimental reasons and it's in the basement along with the remote control. Is there a place for it in today's audio technology? I'm glad I still have it but I do not ever use it. Why do I keep it, I do not know.... Maybe to prove that I "wear the pants in the family"! :-)

netchord
2012-10-01, 10:18

great to see a Pioneer RT707 in there, prior to buying a transporter, it was the sexiest piece of gear I've owned.

Mr. Floppy
2012-10-04, 04:02
great to see a Pioneer RT707 in there, prior to buying a transporter, it was the sexiest piece of gear I've owned.

Very nice. In my younger days I repair Revox A77......:-)

darrenyeats
2012-10-09, 03:42
"I'm glad to say there are plenty of tape decks left". Yeah but most of them are in one guy's attic!

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

snoogly
2012-10-15, 04:45
I knew it reminded me of something! :)

http://criticalmassesmedia.com/2010/07/50-movies-for-50-states-week-5-california-part-1-film-the-conversation/

But joking aside, respect to you for keeping it reel (sorry about the pun ...).

I had the same Audio Analogue combo until they went wonky, but getting them fixed here in Tokyo wasn't really an option.

ilovesd
2012-12-13, 00:30
wow, that's cool.

Recoveryone
2012-12-22, 12:44
Latest addition to my squeezebox family,

clermonc
2012-12-30, 23:09
1415714158Must admit, I had quite some trouble getting this SBT to read from my NAS, finally got it working, lad at tech support were unfortunately unable to assist in any way, had to figure it out on my own.
I need to figure out why the sound quality is far less clear than simply plugging my Mackbook into the Benchmark Dac1-pre
I've currently got the SBT plugged into the dac via SPIF, I'll try coax then SE to see if anything changes.
Typically playing FLAC.

garym
2012-12-31, 06:03
Should sound identical. Do you have the Touch digital volume turned to 100%?

castalla
2013-04-03, 12:10

... plus Cubieboard Fedora with LMS & Squeezelite

chefgrill
2013-12-11, 01:51
http://www.nicobaumgartner.ch/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/photo-4.jpg

More on my blog:
http://www.nicobaumgartner.ch/blog/?p=339

Cheers, Nico

Labarum
2013-12-11, 02:43
I looked at the last picture and said to myself "That's a bike stem", looked at the blog and saw two had been used.

Fine lateral thinking.

But bike stems are not cheap. How much?

chefgrill
2013-12-11, 09:42
I looked at the last picture and said to myself "That's a bike stem", looked at the blog and saw two had been used.

Fine lateral thinking.

But bike stems are not cheap. How much?

Thanks!
I got both of them for "free", one was on my first MTB and replaced by a shorter one, the other I don't remember. Those long old stems are not popular anymore, and I'm sure many shops just throw them away if they replace one.
the whole project was done within less than an hour, and apart from 2 bolts, some washers and cable ties everything is made of old parts that would have gone to the trash. I've had the idea just some days ago, and already knew what I want to build when I started.

Bob in St. Louis
2013-12-11, 10:45
Very clever and creative!

jimbobvfr400
2013-12-11, 10:57
Yes nicely done. My only concern would be that'd quite a lot of leverage so if the SB was knocked with any force if those pipes are copper it could easily rupture the pipe.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y300-0100 using Tapatalk

pablolie
2013-12-23, 10:47

Life keeps me mobile and I had to downsize my new main system - but the SqueezeBoxen stay! :-)

Now the main system is:

SB Touch -optical-> Benchmark DAC2 HGC -analysis plus copper oval balanced-> Creek Destiny power amp -analysis plus black mesh oval-> KEF LS50

The sub on the left is a Velodyne MiniVee but it's really turned off, the KEF have plenty of bass since i have them only about 2 feet from the wall.

The new system sounds amazing - this system is less than $6k cables and all, but I am simply stunned when I listen to it. My old system -now in storage- prolly cost 4 times as much and yet I think all in all this is more accurate yet remains enjoyably musical. When the big box with the Accuphase 306v arrives, I may see which amp I stick with. The KEF LS50 are absolute lifelong keepers though - and the floorstanding towers I had simply would not work well in this room I am afraid... Alas, it is time to sell the old speakers as well as the Accuphase DP-65v that had been employed for DAC duty (I haven't played a CD in years).

Bob in St. Louis
2013-12-23, 19:00
Very nice.
What are the flat white things on either side, slightly underneath the table?

pablolie
2013-12-24, 00:58
What are the flat white things on either side, slightly underneath the table?

you must mean the base of the stands for the speakers? they may look a tad odd because they are partially under the table and angled in somewhat. still playing with optimal speaker placement from time to time. for now this seems to work best with my typical listening position. another oddity - as much as i love the Benchmark DAC its volume control -not its sound- gets somewhat distracted by EMI from the LED TV here and there, hence a bit of foil on top of it (it seems to have eliminated the occasional control interference).

Bob in St. Louis
2013-12-25, 07:01
you must mean the base of the stands for the speakers? they may look a tad odd because they are partially under the table and angled in somewhat.

Ahh yes....It's plainly obvious now that you point it out. Whoops.
Thanks for the clarification. Good looking set up you've got there!

Bob

audiofill
2014-01-04, 02:52
Hello squeezebox fans :)

After three and half years a little update. Now system is in a dedicated acoustically treated listening room. Main digital sound source is still moded squeezebox classic & diy power supply and it works like a charm.

More pics & data here:

http://www.audio-kontakt.com/index.php?page=view_gal&id_up=19

Happy new year!

garym
2014-01-04, 06:08
Nice, super clean setup!

Bob in St. Louis
2014-01-04, 08:45
Very classy!
What software is on the tablet please?

garym
2014-01-04, 09:51
Very classy!
What software is on the tablet please?

Looks like SqueezePad on iPad

Bob in St. Louis
2014-01-04, 10:06
Understood, thank you. I've got an Android tablet, and haven't found anything I like.

Pascal Hibon
2014-01-04, 12:28
Hello squeezebox fans :)

After three and half years a little update. Now system is in a dedicated acoustically treated listening room. Main digital sound source is still moded squeezebox classic & diy power supply and it works like a charm.

More pics & data here:

http://www.audio-kontakt.com/index.php?page=view_gal&id_up=19

Happy new year!

Very nice!
I've noticed that the 70's look is slowly coming back everywhere. Like the room, great work.

audiofill
2014-01-04, 13:10
Thank you all!

@Bob in St. Louis for controlling i use ipad with ipeng and squeezepad app. Or android phone with free Logitech app. Not as nice as ipeng & squeezepad but it works ok.

Regards!

Bob in St. Louis
2014-01-06, 10:25
Thank you!

RonKalvaitis
2014-02-09, 15:25
Downstairs, in the office, I have some Rega Jura speakers which are more suited to your modern stuff - big rock and dancey beats etc, a little less musical, a little more oomph, and with a truly huge soundstage. There are wired to the same amp, and I control the music using Moose.

Whole thing is feeding of an infrant ReadyNAS.

Overall, I'm very very happy with my setups - all the devices offer very good value for money, in particular the SB of course!![/QUOTE]

On the second photo I would think that the speakers would sound better on the lower end if you move them out of the corners. Better bass response if about 3 feet out.

chefgrill
2014-05-08, 22:48
http://www.nicobaumgartner.ch/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/SpaceDock3.jpg

More Pictures + Info:
http://www.nicobaumgartner.ch/blog/?p=366

Audiotic
2014-05-26, 05:13
SB Touch (with EDO, see the 176.4 / 192 kHz) as front-end, Marantz NA-11S1 as DAC :-)http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/26/aruqysy8.jpg

get.amped
2014-05-26, 09:26
NADland

finkster
2014-06-12, 13:24
aubuti, do you use the squeezebox remote controller when in the backyard? any issues with network connectivity? Thanks this is extremely helpful.

finkster
2014-06-12, 13:39
ok, think i got it figured out now. how does this work as a planned set-up? is it important for the SB Duet and receiver to be physically close or is it ok to have them on separate floors (using component cable). Thanks again for all the patience....

aubuti
2014-06-12, 14:07
Hi finkster,

I think you meant to post this in the original thread (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?101659-Additional-speaker-setup-options-for-Squeezebox-Duet-for-audio-newbie). Perhaps if a moderator spots this he/she can move these posts there?

In general you want to keep your line-level cables (that is, RCA cables) short because they are "unbalanced", and thus susceptible to picking up low frequency hum from electrical lines or other interference. You might get away with it if you are careful running the cable, being sure not to run the component cable alongside electrical cable for any appreciable distance.

My #1 recommendation would be to get a second SB and use that for the outdoor/basement system. You can sync it to the other SB when needed, or let it play something different. Then you can locate the SB with the amp/receiver, connecting the SB to your network via wifi or ethernet (the blue cable in my basement photo is ethernet running from a network switch about a meter away). You can still find SBs on the second-hand market. The prices are often steep, but if you look patiently you'll probably find something priced reasonably.

If that doesn't work then my #2 recommendation would be to put your amp/receiver for the outdoor speakers close to your Duet Receiver's current location. Then instead of running a long line-level RCA component cable you could run long speaker wires to the outdoor speakers, going through the basement if needed. Speaker cables are not susceptible to interference the same way that line-level cable is, so interference/hum wouldn't be an issue.

Now, note that my recommendations #1 and #2 are based on absolutely zero knowledge of the layout of your home, the ease/difficulty of running cables, etc. So consider this as general guidance, and remember that the devil really is in the details.

To control the Duet Receiver in the basement I use the Duet Controller or the iPeng app on either my iPad or iPod. Network connectivity isn't an issue because I get good wifi on my deck, and the Duet Receiver in the basement is connected via ethernet cable. But wifi would work fine for Duet Receiver because it's less than 2m from my wifi router. Your connectivity may be different depending on the distances involved, construction materials, and network interference. Good luck with this -- I really enjoy having the tunes outside!

Apesbrain
2014-06-12, 15:49
NADland
Nice. With an NAD turntable no less. Did you ever see the early 5120 with the circuit board arm?

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/648989538-mint_nad_5120_turntable_w_grado_mt/images/423247/

get.amped
2014-06-12, 17:50
Nice. With an NAD turntable no less. Did you ever see the early 5120 with the circuit board arm?

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/648989538-mint_nad_5120_turntable_w_grado_mt/images/423247/

I have one of those in storage.

pablolie
2014-12-22, 11:13

Grumpy Bob
2014-12-23, 04:12
My little headphone squeezething - piCorePlayer running on a Raspberry Pi, with a Cambridge Audio DacMagic XS Headphone amp with a pair of Sennheisers. A modest setup for early morning/late night listening when I don't want to wake up the household! I have also tried Volumio, RuneAudio and SqueezePlug on the Pi with a Wolfson DAC card, but this is the most foolproof.