PDA

View Full Version : A photo of your Squeezebox setup (please)

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

widman
2008-02-24, 15:52
Here is my SB3 setup with a LM3886 Chipamp and a pair of ZaphAudio L18 speakers. The Squeezebox3 plays Ape files from a Linux server, although I'm currently converting the Ape files to FLAC.

pete

ElFishi
2008-02-25, 10:43
I like the doggie-style room conditioner

amcluesent
2008-02-25, 14:18
LOL, did the dog lick that SB3?

widman
2008-02-25, 15:50
LOL, did the dog lick that SB3?

The kids have the messy fingers.

The dog knows better than to touch Dad's stuff.

ChrisLance
2008-02-25, 15:56
I have my Squeezebox connected to a Cambridge Azur 540A and Bowers & Wilkins DM686 speakers. A good match at an alright price.

-Stef-
2008-02-26, 12:11
Squeezebox sounds great!

I didn't know there were black Atacama Equinox racks on the market as well. Here's my silver one. I know, the wires are a drag and I need a rug on the floor but I am working on that right now.

http://aycu38.webshots.com/image/44317/2001594004356769665_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2001594004356769665)

http://aycu34.webshots.com/image/44913/2001560519727187548_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2001560519727187548)

http://aycu27.webshots.com/image/43706/2001506539388847199_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2001506539388847199)

http://aycu34.webshots.com/image/44073/2004802387265318197_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2004802387265318197)

ralphpnj
2008-02-28, 05:30
I have my Squeezebox connected to a Cambridge Azur 540A and Bowers & Wilkins DM686 speakers. A good match at an alright price.

Hi Chris,

Please check out the photo for my Transporter setup in the "A Photo of your Transporter setup, Please!" thread...http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=268822&postcount=30

Here are some photos of my two SqueezeBox setups.

The top photo shows the SqueezeBox that I'm using in my "computer room". There are several reasons that I'm using a SqueezeBox rather than just playing my music files via a PC based music player. First, when I made the temporary move to the Netherlands I took all of my SqueezeBoxes and my Transporter with me and I had an "extra" one, so what the heck. Second, I have read quite a bit about the amount of jitter in the USB connection from a PC to a DAC and using the SqueezeBox to access my music via SlimServer and WiFi does not produce jitter problems. And third, I currently have over 4,000 "albums" on my 2TB Drobo and when adding new music to my SlimServer music library I find that it is much faster and easier to add it using the "browse music folder" method than to try to add it using the "scan music library for changes" method (which almost NEVER works!!).

The SqueezeBox is connected via an RCA cable from it's digital output to the RCA digital input on a Headroom Desktop headphone amp (I've found the DAC in the Desktop amp to be marginally better sounding than the DAC in the SqueezeBox) and the rear panel analog output of the Desktop amp is connected to a Creek A50i Integrated Amplifier and finally the Creek is used to drive a pair of Energy Veritas 2.1 speakers. Sounds pretty good but I feel that the weak link is the Creek amp. I also use the Desktop amp to drive some headphones (either a pair of Ultrasone PROline 2500s or a pair of Beyerdynamic DT880s with leather pads) when I'm listening late at night.

The bottom picture shows the SqueezeBox that I have setup in my bedroom. The SqueezeBox is connected to a Headroom "Maxed out" Desktop headphone amp via the optical digital output. The Desktop amp in this setup is only used to drive my headphones for nighttime listening. My headphones are a Sennheiser HD-650 (with a Cardas cable), an AKG K701 (with a hardwired Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable) and an Ultrasone PROline 750 K701 (with a hardwired Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable - yes I really like this cable.)

Limitless
2008-02-28, 10:04
Cool SX-1980, I have the SX-1050 and it weights a ton! Does that Behemoth weigh even more? Are they not just impressive just to stand and look at! I need a new wooden case for mine it's all scratched on one side from my shelf pegs buckling under its'
weight years ago.

TCM
2008-02-28, 11:43
Hi Chris,

The top photo shows the SqueezeBox that I'm using in my "computer room". There are several reasons that I'm using a SqueezeBox rather than just playing my music files via a PC based music player. First, when I made the temporary move to the Netherlands I took all of my SqueezeBoxes and my Transporter with me and I had an "extra" one, so what the heck. Second, I have read quite a bit about the amount of jitter in the USB connection from a PC to a DAC and using the SqueezeBox to access my music via SlimServer and WiFi does not produce jitter problems. And third, I currently have over 4,000 "albums" on my 2TB Drobo and when adding new music to my SlimServer music library I find that it is much faster and easier to add it using the "browse music folder" method than to try to add it using the "scan music library for changes" method (which almost NEVER works!!).

The SqueezeBox is connected via an RCA cable from it's digital output to the RCA digital input on a Headroom Desktop headphone amp (I've found the DAC in the Desktop amp to be marginally better sounding than the DAC in the SqueezeBox) and the rear panel analog output of the Desktop amp is connected to a Creek A50i Integrated Amplifier and finally the Creek is used to drive a pair of Energy Veritas 2.1 speakers. Sounds pretty good but I feel that the weak link is the Creek amp. I also use the Desktop amp to drive some headphones (either a pair of Ultrasone PROline 2500s or a pair of Beyerdynamic DT880s with leather pads) when I'm listening late at night.

The bottom picture shows the SqueezeBox that I have setup in my bedroom. The SqueezeBox is connected to a Headroom "Maxed out" Desktop headphone amp via the optical digital output. The Desktop amp in this setup is only used to drive my headphones for nighttime listening. My headphones are a Sennheiser HD-650 (with a Cardas cable), an AKG K701 (with a hardwired Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable) and an Ultrasone PROline 750 K701 (with a hardwired Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable - yes I really like this cable.)

Nice setup. I've been looking at the HR 2007 Micro Amp or the Ultra Micro for my bedroom. I guess the sound from those are similar to your larger amps? Could you comment on how your different head phones work with your HR amps?

ralphpnj
2008-02-28, 12:18
Nice setup. I've been looking at the HR 2007 Micro Amp or the Ultra Micro for my bedroom. I guess the sound from those are similar to your larger amps? Could you comment on how your different head phones work with your HR amps?

The one specific thing that I like most about the Headroom amps is that they sound good with almost any dynamic headphone. There are many people who dislike the HR amps for just this reason, although they would be missing the point of the Headroom's almost completely neutral sound. Basically the amp just disappears and all that is left are the headphones and the music. And with good headphones, which also seem to disappear, only the music remains.

I also have a Micro amp that I use with my iPod and a pair of I.E.M.s (Westone UM-2) and it sounds fantastic.

TCM
2008-02-28, 12:25
The one specific thing that I like most about the Headroom amps is that they sound good with almost any dynamic headphone. There are many people who dislike the HR amps for just this reason, although they would be missing the point of the Headroom's almost completely neutral sound. Basically the amp just disappears and all that is left are the headphones and the music. And with good headphones, which also seem to disappear, only the music remains.

I also have a Micro amp that I use with my iPod and a pair of I.E.M.s (Westone UM-2) and it sounds fantastic.

Thanks! I've just paid my summer holiday, but next month... :D

Sputnik
2008-03-02, 06:19
where did you get the little ball that fills in the top spike hole?

Pneumonic
2008-03-06, 11:43
In my office system is my Squeezebox hooked up to my REDGUM Integrated which powers my Elipson Circee speakers. Sounds glorious.

ik632
2008-03-08, 07:32
Cool SX-1980, I have the SX-1050 and it weights a ton! Does that Behemoth weigh even more? Are they not just impressive just to stand and look at! I need a new wooden case for mine it's all scratched on one side from my shelf pegs buckling under its'
weight years ago.

Actually the tuner on top is a TX-6800, next down is the integrated amp SA-7700 and below that is an RG-1. I have also added a SX-680 for dual source (it will play the outside speakers) and I'm also using it for the tuner as the TX-6800 needs cleaning and adjusting and doesn't tune quite as well. I'm really enjoying the system. It's all connected to some Bose 201's and a Klipsch sub for bottom end.

I don't know the exact power rating of the 7700 but I suspect that it's in the 50-75 wpc range but I think it weighs about 60#. I had to have help putting it into the rack :D

AnotherTribe
2008-03-09, 18:50
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff105/anothertribe/IMG_0828.jpg http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff105/anothertribe/IMG_0824.jpg

swhite58
2008-03-09, 21:50
In my office system is my Squeezebox hooked up to my REDGUM Integrated which powers my Elipson Circee speakers. Sounds glorious.

Excuse me while I drool heavily over your Redgum :)

melomaniac
2008-03-10, 10:39
https://eee.uci.edu/08s/26010/img/tek.jpg

SB3 -> Blue Jeans coax -> CIA VDA.2 -> Anti_IC -> Bel Canto s300iu -> Magnepan 2.5R & Outlaw sub (ignore the Oppo)

Pneumonic
2008-03-13, 20:31
Excuse me while I drool heavily over your Redgum :)

Drooling is permitted. Just not on the fascia please .... the redgum wood marks easily. <hehe>

Seriously your fellow Aussie boys got this amp seriously right. It's a stunner!

iSix
2008-03-15, 16:25
Lounge:
http://eyecandy.paulcassata.com/cache/999$21Random_Stuff!DSC00371_380x254.jpg

Kitchen:
http://eyecandy.paulcassata.com/cache/999$21Random_Stuff!DSC00364_380x254.jpg

Bedroom:
http://eyecandy.paulcassata.com/cache/999$21Random_Stuff!DSC03199_380x253.jpg

Need to get one for the bathroom now :)

crooner
2008-03-15, 23:55
Pictures of my updated bedroom system.

The Super Squeezebox is now joined by vintage 1964 Marantz vacuum tube electronics. The DAC, turntable and speakers remain the same.

Bas Horneman
2008-03-16, 06:31
Nice room. I like the artwork!

crooner
2008-03-16, 07:50

Thanks!
very "crooner-like" :-)

haunyack
2008-03-16, 07:55

Rat Pack fan.
Have any anecdotes you'd be willing to share?

btw...waiting for the SSB to go into mass production.

crooner
2008-03-16, 11:51
Rat Pack related, unfortunately never met the Chairman. Thinking about driving to Palm Springs though, his old hangout.

The SSB's main obstacle for mass production was being based on the old SB2. With the new Duet coming out, I may try to use this platform instead. I would miss the nifty VFD display, though...

Pneumonic
2008-03-16, 18:19
Pictures of my updated bedroom system.

The Super Squeezebox is now joined by vintage 1964 Marantz vacuum tube electronics. The DAC, turntable and speakers remain the same.

Very nice, Crooner. I betcha this setup is very musical.

crooner
2008-03-16, 18:42
Very nice, Crooner. I betcha this setup is very musical.

Indeed it is!
I was pleasantly surprised the 35wpc Marantz 8B has more than enough power for the rather inefficient 86dB (SPL @ 1m) Vandersteens.

At first I thought about replacing the 2Ce Signatures with a pair of vintage Quad Electrostatics, but given the sound that I'm getting this won't be happening anytime soon!

haunyack
2008-03-16, 18:54
enough power for the rather inefficient 86dB Vandersteens.!

Yes, my 3A's are subdued at 0 db, no preamp.
The B&K is 200wpc.
Sometimes, just not enough punch.
But, as you say "but given the sound" - I am reluctant to mess with a good thing.
Volume is not an necessarily an indicator of fullness of sound.
My damaged eardrums say it isn't so.
I love the detail, my ears yearn for pressure.

So crooner, how 'bout a RatPack tidit?

Pneumonic
2008-03-16, 19:28
Indeed it is!
I was pleasantly surprised the 35wpc Marantz 8B has more than enough power for the rather inefficient 86dB (SPL @ 1m) Vandersteens.

I'm sure that 2W is helping the 8B along enough to allow it to really flourish driving them 2C's. Very nice combo.

crooner
2008-03-16, 19:50
I'm sure that 2W is helping the 8B along enough to allow it to really flourish driving them 2C's. Very nice combo.

Thanks for your comments.

Excellent observation!

The 8B has custom made high pass filters (using Auricaps) that roll off everything below 80 Hz. This takes off the burden of handling the low bass and allows the midrange to really open up.

Thus, the system is really bi-amped with a total available power of 370 watts (300 watts on the sub plus the 70 watts total RMS of the 8B)

Pneumonic
2008-03-17, 06:13
Thanks for your comments.

Excellent observation!

The 8B has custom made high pass filters (using Auricaps) that roll off everything below 80 Hz. This takes off the burden of handling the low bass and allows the midrange to really open up.

Thus, the system is really bi-amped with a total available power of 370 watts (300 watts on the sub plus the 70 watts total RMS of the 8B)

Heard a similar setup years ago using MC60 driving the Vandy 2C's. Supremely musical sound.

haunyack
2008-03-17, 06:27
.. custom made high pass filters (using Auricaps) that roll off everything below 80 Hz. )

I've been considering a configuration like this but am somewhat ignorant of how to implement.
If you would please advise I would be most grateful.
I have an Infinty powered sub (300w) that I have been itching to include with my 3A's.
Interesting, you say rolling off at 80Hz opens up the midrange.
Sounds like a worthwhile tweak.

crooner
2008-03-17, 15:36
I've been considering a configuration like this but am somewhat ignorant of how to implement.
If you would please advise I would be most grateful.
I have an Infinty powered sub (300w) that I have been itching to include with my 3A's.
Interesting, you say rolling off at 80Hz opens up the midrange.
Sounds like a worthwhile tweak.

Hi,
The vandersteen sub has an unique method of connection which "samples" the output directly from the speaker level amp output.

I'm not familiar with the Infinity sub or its connections.

You may want to go to Vandersteen's website and download the PDF of the current 2WQ subwoofer for more details on how to connect.

Basically, by rolling off the bass below 80Hz you reduce standing waves and other room interaction problems with the main speaker pair. Additionally, you minimize any bass information "bleeding in" to the midrange driver. Crossovers are never perfect and some driver interaction is possible. This explains in part the extra clarity in the midrange as a result of the high pass filter implementation.

Having the main amplifier freed from reproducing the lower bass also contributes to the extra clarity in the range that it is reproducing (midrange and highs).

haunyack
2008-03-17, 15:47
Hi,
The vandersteen sub has an unique method of connection which "samples" the output directly from the speaker.

Thanks for the info.
I've been considering the 2wq for some time but thought I may be able to get reasonable results using my existing sub which has optimization for frequecny, width, level.

Right now, without the roll-off for the 3A'a, the sub is just a bit too much as the standing waves are substantial.
Either way it looks as if I would need to supply the crossover?

So, for now the sub is fit to the 5.1 HT system.

crooner
2008-03-17, 16:37
Vandersteen sells his own crossovers, though for the price he charges I figured I'd make my own. This way I have my choice of fancy caps! :-)

haunyack
2008-03-17, 16:56
Thanks crooner.
Missing Joey here.
Maybe he's holding the cam?

Image courtesy Wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat_Pack

2008-03-20, 11:39
Here's my nice 'n simple setup with Acoustic Energy M's running of a mick_w guided ClarkConnect box.

The cat has a knack of finding places she shouldn't go like on top of the the squeezebox, server or even the laptop !!

haunyack
2008-03-20, 12:02
The cat has a knack of finding places she shouldn't go like on top of the the squeezebox, server or even the laptop !!

That Darn Cat!

My Burmese has a habit of hogging the sweet spot when the Jazz plays.
He's one cool cat

2008-03-20, 13:43
Here she is chilling with some tunes....flac of course

crooner
2008-03-20, 16:48
beautiful cat!

2008-03-21, 00:54
thank you !

MarkE
2008-03-22, 05:28
After much research here, I've finally got my SB3 based system up and running after my previous set-up was lost in a fire.

SB3 into Bryston B100SST-DAC into Anthony Gallo ref 3.1. Analogue is Wilson Benesch Full Circle with Transfiguration Aria into Clearaudio Balance.

I like it!

ralphpnj
2008-03-22, 05:44
Mark,

That is one beautiful looking set up. If it sounds even half as nice as it looks ti would be incredible - but I bet it sounds even better then it looks, in which case, you are one lucky SOB.

Anne
2008-03-23, 08:05
Beeeyutiful! Especially like your integrated amp! Worldclass it is!
You dont have the extra sub amp for the Gallo ? They say it makes a tremendous difference.
My system is at page 59, except I put the MLs away for a while and use these :
http://www.carlssonplanet.com/oa50_2.php which I have renovated and painted.
Here is a very shaky photo.

Morningstar
2008-03-24, 15:53
A nooby here, please be gentle.
Modded SB3 by Bolder Cable with Wayne's power supply maxed out.
New Eastern Electric EL156 monoblocks along with Minimax preamp.
JPS Superconductor3 IC's.
Hopefully I uploaded the picture correctly.I have my fingers crossed.
I've enjoyed this forum for a while just as an on looker.
Bill

Morningstar
2008-03-24, 16:20
Have to try again, successful posting of last photo has me trying again. Lets go for 2

haunyack
2008-03-24, 17:20
Have to try again, successful posting of last photo has me trying again. Lets go for 2

Very Nice!
What, no recliner?

Morningstar
2008-03-24, 20:27
Yes recliners

haunyack
2008-03-24, 20:38
Yes recliners

Excellent!
Love the cupholders.
I gather the blue chair is where you get your "fix".
I can see that you love valves.

Welcome to our most humble forum.

Morningstar
2008-03-24, 20:46
A little scotch & water in the blue chair, after a good 8 hours of listening and sipping the recliners come in handy. Just in case I'm still thirsty the cupholders serve their purpose.

MarkE
2008-03-25, 05:50
Thanks for your comments ralphpnj and Anne. When building this system I wanted to reduce my box count while not giving ground on performance. Replacing a two box CD player and three box amp with the Squeezebox and the Bryston integrated has certainly freed up a bit of space and removed a mile of cabling which has to be a good thing. I was worried about what I might loose in the process so initially saw the SB purchase as a bit of a trial run but I really can't see myself ever buying another CD deck now.

Anne - your posts on here alerted me to the existence of the Bryston integrated/DAC and its potential - thanks for that. Those Carlsson's look interesting - presumably they are omnis - I had a pair of little Shahinians at home at one point which were very tempting. I also had a pair of Martin Logan's but could not give them enough space. One good thing about the Gallo's is that they seem to keep working even quite close to the front wall. I would like to try the sub amp - I certainly don't need any *more* bass, but am interested to see how it might tighten up with a bit of extra muscle controlling it. But then it's another box isn't it - the slippery slope!

Anne
2008-03-25, 07:52
Yes, the Shahinians are closely related. The Carlsson is designed to stand smack up against the back wall, achieving a 6 db gain in the bass by that placement, thereby using smaller drivers.
The dispersion of the speaker is tightly regulated, and perfectly setup the sound will bounce off the ceiling also creating an illusion that the back wall is gone. Live music is a real treat on these.
Anonymous speakers though, some people think they are made to sit on !
In its latest edition, the 50.4 version, there is a new bass and treble driver available in june. Some people have been lucky and are testing the system now, and reports indicate a vicious upgrade, especially in the very deep bass and an ultra smooth treble.
I will upgrade when the new drivers come out.
Its not electrostatic sound, but where I live now I have no space for Aeon Is, so, same problem as you.
Besides, regarding the Bryston, after almost 2 years of ownership I am still in awe of the resolution this amp produces, I will never get over it.
My guess is people are afraid of buying this amp because it will prevent them from changing, again and again.....

chipbutty
2008-03-25, 09:16
Modest set up but sounds good.

I found a packet of sorbothane feet lying around so I've been putting them to use!

Pneumonic
2008-03-25, 13:29
Yes recliners

I can't imagine those cupholders have never been used whilst partaking in the listening of music ............ <hehe>

BTW, looks awesome, Bill.

Bon
2008-03-27, 12:45
My Klipsch Cornwalls never sounded so good. T-amp + 100db sensitivity +FLAC + SB = Happiness.

Pneumonic
2008-03-27, 19:36
My Klipsch Cornwalls never sounded so good. T-amp + 100db sensitivity +FLAC + SB = Happiness.

Not to mention ..... compact. Nice!

aubuti
2008-03-29, 13:59
I'm glad they moved this thread from the audiophile section, so I can post my new kitchen/dining setup. It's definitely not high end, but does great on the WAF. My other half wants the sound to just appear out of the air: no wires, no boxes, no knobs, etc. And the kitchen acoustics are crappy anyway (hardly any wall space that isn't windows or cabinets, plus hard floors, counters, tile, and cabinets all around). So we went for a basic, minimalist system. Even though the living room and basement have much better audio equipment, this system gets the most use.

Server: LinkStation HD-HG250LAN NAS that lives in a utility room in the basement
SB: Squeezebox 2 (wired), soon to be replaced by a Squeezebox Receiver (it took my wife a little while to grok the new SB Controller, especially with the new firmware updates every day during the beta testing period). The SB and amp are tucked away out of sight on the top shelf of the pantry.
Amp: AudioSource Amp100. It has auto-sensing inputs, and puts itself to sleep after ~5 minutes without an input signal.
Speakers: 2 pair of Polk Audio RC60i in-ceiling speakers. Each pair of Polks is controlled by a separate Russound in-wall volume control. In retrospect, I probably should have gone for 8" speakers because the RC60i doesn't have much low-end. I might change the speakers, or try to work a subwoofer in somehow.

Here are the photos, though they're pretty lousy. That's the SBC just to the right of the microwave. And those other things in the ceiling (besides the fan) are low energy consumption recessed LED lights.

bhaagensen
2008-03-29, 15:11
That's the SBC just to the left of the microwave.

Wow, your micro must have the shielding of a nuclear power plant if the SBC doesn't drop connection when it's in the cradle :)

aubuti
2008-03-29, 19:31
Actually it's the SBC that has the shielding... no, only kidding. The SBC has been there since early January, and even though I realized the potential for major interference, it hasn't been a problem yet. That has been a pleasant surprise. But I do have an alternative location in mind in case it does start to be a problem.

calbear81
2008-03-29, 21:45
I just got my SB3 a few days ago and am loving it!

Here are 2 shots of my system which consists of:

Stock SB3
Primare I21 Integrated
JM Lab Focal Chorus 807V
APC H20 Power Center (Filter/Surge)
Blue Jeans Cable for the interconnects

I'm very excited that it's finally all setup since I've had to build this system up from my limited budget by buying each piece only when it's a crazy good deal.

zlasher
2008-03-31, 15:45
I've been reading the forums for a long time - finally deciding to participate a bit.. Well.. Here's my setup..

Love the new SqueezeCenter - I'm running my modified Xbox (not in picture) with GentooX as the server - with the Perl version of SqueezeCenter 7.0. The files are stored on a Maxtor NAS.

Hoping to add the Squeezebox Duet in the not too distant future..

agentsmith
2008-04-01, 09:10
Connected via fiber to the F80. Sounds fine for a glorified clock radio. It'd a godsend if the F80 is embedded with an Squeezebox chip.

ralphpnj
2008-04-01, 11:15
Connected via fiber to the F80. Sounds fine for a glorified clock radio. It'd a godsend if the F80 is embedded with an Squeezebox chip.

Now that would make for one bad ass table radio.

agentsmith
2008-04-01, 17:52
Now that would make for one bad ass table radio.

yes I bought it with the hope that it would be a miracle box capable of replacing my main stereo system, which contains mostly entry level Naim equipment. Unfortunately, good that the F80 is, once I played it against the main system, the little box just does not sound as mighty anymore. I guess the law of physics still holds.

Now I have a portable little box that I can move around the apartment to enjoy music wherever I can. If only it had the SB magic inside.

I heard from somewhere that the Meridian people are fans of the SB. Wonder if anything is happening. If they come out with a F80.2 with built in Sb I would be very upset.

stewed
2008-04-07, 11:15
Here's my humble setup:

Squeezebox 3 -> Xindak DAC-5 -> Linn Kairn Pro -> 2 x NAD C272 -> Snell EIII
(the other toys are for home theater sound)

http://www.minhembio.com/bilder/bild/?pic_id=223759.jpg

And here's a closeup of all the toys. :-)

http://www.minhembio.com/bilder/bild/?pic_id=223760.jpg

morris_minor
2008-04-07, 13:59
Hi Stewed!

Welcome to the Slim forums!

What a neat installation - I'd be interested in knowing where you got your storage unit from. But I see your images are hosted on a German site, so maybe your hifi furniture is German too . . .

Bob

dem
2008-04-07, 18:21
Two years ago back on page 4 of this thread I posted this picture (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=78063&postcount=38) of my Squeezebox setup. I've updated a few components since then, so here's an update.

http://dem.smugmug.com/photos/276370638_kRmgU-O.jpg

stewed
2008-04-07, 22:46
Hi Stewed!

Welcome to the Slim forums!

What a neat installation - I'd be interested in knowing where you got your storage unit from. But I see your images are hosted on a German site, so maybe your hifi furniture is German too . . .

Bob

Thanks, Bob! The storage unit is actually Swedish (just as I am), but it's not from IKEA so I think you might have a hard time finding it over there. Anyway, it's called "Holmsund". It comes with two doors (with glass) that I have removed for ventilation purposes. Fortunately it has a fifth leg under it, otherwise I think it would have cracked by the weight (there are over 130 lbs of NAD stuff in there!).

morris_minor
2008-04-09, 07:40
Fortunately it has a fifth leg under it, otherwise I think it would have cracked by the weight (there are over 130 lbs of NAD stuff in there!).

. . . and the weight of the TV :o)

I'll have a search around for "Holmsund", too . . .

Thanks,
B

Anne
2008-04-11, 13:11
Yes, the Tv is mounted on the wall.
Agreed, nice system, and very nice speakers!

Bon
2008-04-11, 22:02
It's not what you see but rather what you don't. This is my early 1970's Seeburg jukebox in perfect working order. It's a stereo jukebox because, yes, there were stereo 45 rpm singles. The jukebox is loaded with my 45 rpm records from my teen years in the 60's. I placed my Squeezebox receiver inside the cabinet - inside the coin box. The audio is routed into the amp through the stereo paging input. This microphone input was used to announce when the burger orders were ready. I don't know why Seeburg made this input a stereo input but I'm glad they did! With this setup I can still simply play records as always, and I can now listen to any of my recordings just as easily without spinning records or wearing out the mechanism. The quality of modern, clean, recordings don't magnify the limitations of the jukebox hardware but rather the other way around: they make the jukebox sound better than it every has and that's more fun than ever!

It certainly isn't an audiophile's dream but it sure makes me happy. The box contains two 12" woofers and two 10" horn drivers with early solid state components. I've re-capped the amps to keep it working for years to come. Picked it up locally from an amusement company for just over $325. Cheap fun!

ralphpnj
2008-04-12, 02:38
It's not what you see but rather what you don't. This is my early 1970's Seeburg jukebox in perfect working order. It's a stereo jukebox because, yes, there were stereo 45 rpm singles. The jukebox is loaded with my 45 rpm records from my teen years in the 60's. I placed my Squeezebox receiver inside the cabinet - inside the coin box. The audio is routed into the amp through the stereo paging input. This microphone input was used to announce when the burger orders were ready. I don't know why Seeburg made this input a stereo input but I'm glad they did! With this setup I can still simply play records as always, and I can now listen to any of my recordings just as easily without spinning records or wearing out the mechanism. The quality of modern, clean, recordings don't magnify the limitations of the jukebox hardware but rather the other way around: they make the jukebox sound better than it every has and that's more fun than ever!

It certainly isn't an audiophile's dream but it sure makes me happy. The box contains two 12" woofers and two 6" horn drivers with early solid state components. I've re-capped the amps to keep it working for years to come. Picked it up locally from an amusement company for just over $325. Cheap fun!

That is one heck of a very cool mod. With all the various modifications to power supplies, DACs, etc. that one reads about this is one modification that appears to be a lot of fun. Great idea and excellent implementation. Enjoy (but you already seem to being that in spades!)

paulo m
2008-04-12, 18:56
Here are some photos of my setup, which has given me much pleasure and consists of:
Pathos Logos amp
Esoteric X-03 SE CDP
Slim Devices Squeezebox 3
Shunyata Hydra 4
Pure Note Paragon Enhanced biwire speaker cables
Pure Note Paragon Enhanced XLR interconnects
Audioquest King Cobra interconnects
Shunyata Taipan Helix Alpha 20A power cable
GIK Acoustics panels

I wanted to include a pic of the Squeezebox, but the post is limited to 4 images--and I guess everyone knows what the SB looks like <wink>.

Overall view of the system, including listening position:
http://www.dmethods.com/hifi/IMG_0007.jpg

The speakers:
http://www.dmethods.com/hifi/IMG_0014.jpg

The amp:
http://www.dmethods.com/hifi/IMG_0029.jpg

The CDP:
http://www.dmethods.com/hifi/IMG_0026.jpg

Duggeh
2008-04-12, 22:51
Quite an old photo (last november) but not much has changed.

http://www.thismanwillkillyou.com/bunf/headfi/hifi/24-11-07/Image3.jpg

bigfool1956
2008-04-13, 10:47
Interesting turntable lid damper :)

ronaldg
2008-04-13, 17:16
Here's my setup ...... yes, those are Magnepans off to the sides ;-)

Mario
2008-04-14, 01:41
My 1,5 years SqueezeBox...

jakescase
2008-04-17, 11:58
The Duet is not in the Critical listening room (Meridian et al)but it functions in the new kitchen very well. Kuro plasma, 7.1 surround, etc. with equipment (including Duet Rcvr.) in ajoining room.Has been great for parties. Most rooms are hardwired for speakers to distribute Duet output.
The photos show how new the system is--- the sub does not yet have a grille.

inv
2008-04-18, 15:21
Pictures of my modded setup. Removed the cover of SB3, and put it behind a speaker/filter cover. Hard to see on the pictures but i works great and looks very minimalistic.

morris_minor
2008-04-19, 10:13
Pictures of my modded setup. Removed the cover of SB3, and put it behind a speaker/filter cover. Hard to see on the pictures but i works great and looks very minimalistic.

Very cool!

MeridianMan
2008-04-19, 10:47
Removed the cover of SB3, and put it behind a speaker/filter cover.

Love the minimalist look. Did you custom rig the grill cloth to fit flush with the cabinet or was it manufactured that way? I am wanting to similarly flush mount a recessed center speaker and am not sure how to approach building the frame.

inv
2008-04-19, 14:25
Hello, and thanks for the positive response. Its an all custom build, took only about 45 min with no special skills. The bench is basically an ikea shelving unit placed horizontally, with only one mid shelf.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00045560

As you can see i use the right part of the "bench" as housing for my amplifier. The left houses a sub woofer, and a center speaker, with the stripped SB3 on top. Building the clothed frame is really easy. You can probably get the cloth from any hifi store. The frame is wood. Took me no more than 20 minutes to measure up the hole and nail a frame that did the job. Attaching the cloth to the frame is simply a matter of stretching and stapling.

The brightness of the sb3 screen is really impressive with the cover removed, and is very much visible through the cloth, even in daylight. You probably want to go with the large font, depending on the quality of the cloth, but im guessing that most people use this option anyway.

morris_minor
2008-04-20, 12:31
Squeezebox Receiver / Maplin 4-way powerline switch / Sony Minisystem

First impressions here:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=293641#post293641

pjdowns
2008-04-22, 09:49
Current Systems:

TV System
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/pjdowns/IMGP0366.jpg

Hifi System
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/pjdowns/IMGP0594.jpg

Hifi Speakers - Sorry about the feet ;)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/pjdowns/IMGP0474.jpg

Paul.

Salamander
2008-05-10, 14:44
http://avforum.no/minhjemmekino/users/wmorig/3e04733656b84147db1dfac53d4d4198.JPG
http://avforum.no/minhjemmekino/users/wmorig/d3334e41f3ada7ec87786c8531961912.JPG
http://avforum.no/minhjemmekino/users/wmorig/3811d925f7548f72fcd1574a2d7d7daf.JPG
http://avforum.no/minhjemmekino/users/wmorig/4ee77b5b7c0c6f7b33fd3fc07a9cc43e.JPG

HolyDuck
2008-05-11, 12:40
Can't quite live up to the preceding posters' rooms with regards to minimalistic coolness or quality of gear, but I like it just the same :-)

Just out of frame I've got a rug to dampen things a bit, but I need to get something on the back wall as well, I think.

Gear: Primare I20, Primare V20, PS3, X360, SB3, Panasonic Th-50PX70, B&W 603s3, and in the background a Linn Axis (w/ Denon pick-up) and a Rega Fono MM.

pichonCalavera
2008-05-11, 12:56
Can't quite live up to the preceding posters' rooms with regards to minimalistic coolness or quality of gear, but I like it just the same :-)

Just out of frame I've got a rug to dampen things a bit, but I need to get something on the back wall as well, I think.

Gear: Primare I20, Primare V20, PS3, X360, SB3, Panasonic Th-50PX70, B&W 603s3, and in the background a Linn Axis (w/ Denon pick-up) and a Rega Fono MM.

Those PRIMARE amps look soooo cool (and expensive :P ), I see it has a RS-232, IR and Data connection... can you control the device with an Ethernet connection?

bonzuccio
2008-05-15, 05:53

looks BEAUTIFUL!

nswint
2008-05-21, 16:37
Moto DVR, Duet Receiver, DVD Player, Nyko Recharge Station, Wii, Soundmatters Soundstage, and PC (Mythtv Frontend)

iPhone
2008-05-21, 17:03
Moto DVR, Duet Receiver, DVD Player, Nyko Recharge Station, Wii, Soundmatters Soundstage, and PC (Mythtv Frontend)

Hi Noah and welcome to the Forum. What are the crosses for? Is that some tweak I missed on the audiophile forum? They keep the bad spirits inside the speakers so they can't come out and mix with the good sound, right? Or your home does not have a mantel and they round out the look of your system.

Again welcome to the Forum and I am just giving you a hard time about the crosses.

Ken Rahaim
2008-05-24, 23:05
In wall Squeezebox in game room with NHT IW-3 above. The 2nd speaker is on the other side of the entryway. The Emotiva BPA1 is on the other side of the wall in the closet...

dsendecki
2008-05-26, 05:31
In wall Squeezebox in game room with NHT IW-3 above. The 2nd speaker is on the other side of the entryway. The Emotiva BPA1 is on the other side of the wall in the closet...

Wow, does that ever look nice!

TheIBM
2008-05-27, 13:34
My main system is a pair of homebuilt speakers using Coles drivers and Scanspeak tweeters and personally engineered crossovers originally built & designed in the 80 's. They always sounded great so I decided to rebuild them as the cabinets looked a bit dated. I used free software off the net to assist the design and Fibonacci ratios to determine the cabinet dimension ratios and positions of the drivers. The top 2/3 is the cavity, the base 1/3 is filled with 30kg of sand. They are constructed out of 32mm high density glued and screwed MDF, spiked to the floor and Tawa wood veneer. I have not even bothered properly tune the ports (yet) as they are virtually spot on. The amp is an Antique Soundlabs EL34 based unit, I am hoping (trying) to get a Quad II. I was intending to buy a new CD player when I happened on the Squeezebox and simply gave up looking, what a superb answer to my prayers! I am considering an external DAC as an add on. My server is a Clarkconnect 4.1 Linux firewall/mail/Samba server running a pair of 250Gb SATA drives. BTW its Basil and Cybil in the foreground. Basil was named 'Basil' to specifically annoy an old girlfriend whose viper like tones sounded exactly like Cybil Faulty, Basil's parting shot was to piss on her curtains LOL! Cybil came later and her name was the obvious choice.

Enoch Soames
2008-05-27, 15:17
Cool. Stereo dogs.

iPhone
2008-05-27, 16:02
Cool. Stereo dogs.

Very cool stereo dogs, but somehow I don't think they are RCA Victor dogs. These are bigger, they must be Audiophile or DIY Stereo Dogs.

Skunk
2008-05-27, 18:51
I've always said 'dogs on a sheep's skin rug are the next-best-thing to bass traps'.

swhite58
2008-05-27, 19:42
Very nice looking speakers. Good job.

Another Clark Connect user

Doermann
2008-05-28, 00:36
DIY Stereo Dogs.

LooooL very funny

TCM
2008-05-28, 00:49
DIY Stereo Dogs.

DIY? Did he make them himself...? ;) :D

EDIT: Wow, smileys

mkanet
2008-05-29, 21:48
Runs Fullscreen (or windowed as shown in pictures) on a 52" 1920x1080p LCD HDTV display (fully integrated into custom DVR Tivo-type menus) TV,DVD, music, internet music services all controlled with a simple remote control on same interface.

doubledrop
2008-05-30, 11:21
The Duet is so stealth you can hardly find it (centre of picture under monitor)! Here running through BeresfordDAC into SoundcraftF16 and a pair of Tannoy Active Reveal near-field monitors. Acoustic treatment panels all round and three bass traps. The room's really for video editing but Duet sounds fine in there too.

TomDac
2008-07-15, 22:34
just upgraded to Summits from reQuests (thanks Joey V!)..

Love them! ...and am using my iPod Touch as a remote with iPeng.. REALLY COOL!

rvanderh
2008-08-10, 10:26
In the meter cupboard:
- Router
- Minipc with squeezecenter
- 250gb usb disk with music library

Livingroom:
- Squeezebox duet
- antique audiosystem
- Quad 9L2 speakers
Cables worked away in the drawer

Kitchen
- Squeezebox Classic
- Audio Engine K2 speakers
- Asus EEE with squeezecenter webui
http://rvanderh.fastmail.fm/squeezebox/squeezetot.jpg

SushiDS
2008-08-12, 08:34
Hi there.

Here's my little setup:

SB3 connected to a Sony STR-DB 940 via toslink,
Technics SL-PG 400A for CDs (which I'm using rarely now...),
Sony MDS-JE 780 Minidisc-Deck (I still like it)
an old Technics SL-BD 20 (haven't used it for a long time, but who knows),
a Panasonic DVD-S100 for viewing DVDs and a Panasonic DMR-E100H for recording
and some no-name speakers which I own for over 15 Years now,
but they still sound fine to me.

So long,
Sushi

Timn8ter
2008-08-12, 19:33
Squeezebox Classic, Nuforce Icon amp (under the aquarium), DIY speakers (Fostex FT207D, FW137), Alegria Audio Tom Subwoofer (hidden)

morris_minor
2008-08-12, 23:50
Squeezebox Classic, Nuforce Icon amp (under the aquarium), DIY speakers (Fostex FT207D, FW137), Alegria Audio Tom Subwoofer (hidden)

Doesn't this remind you of the "potter's wheel" ?

[For non-UK residents, and those under a certain age, when TV started in the UK the gaps between programmes were filled with "moving still lifes" - one being a close up of a pot being made from clay on a potters wheel. These were often more interesting than the programmes :O) ]

Thanks for the pic, Timn8ter, and welcome to the forums . .

Bob

killie99
2008-08-14, 02:29

What is the book 2nd right as the picture on the spine looks like Rabbie Burns.

artplow
2008-08-17, 13:24
This is it... using the Fit-PC for Slim Server and music file storage.

Apesbrain
2008-08-20, 08:27
@TomDac

Haven't seen a dbx unit like that in working condition in at least 20 years! I had both a 3bx and their 20/20 self-adjusting equalizer at one point. Unfortunately, the equalizer kept failing and blowing my speakers when it did. The 3bx I kept for a while after that and used for companding cassette recordings. Those recordings sounded pretty good although only in my system. Take care.

Cool site: http://www.vintagedbx.com/

Pneumonic
2008-08-20, 14:03
just upgraded to Summits from reQuests (thanks Joey V!)..

Love them! ...and am using my iPod Touch as a remote with iPeng.. REALLY COOL!

Looking good.

As a long time Martin Logan owner I'm wondering what improvements you've realized going from Requests to Summits?

Also, I am curious if you have ever had your Logans setup in such a way as to not have your TV and component stand situated between them?

megaweasel
2008-08-21, 11:55
Hi all,

I'm doing the whole-house audio and lighting thing, so naturally, am using SB3's and Duets throughout. In the kitchen, for maximum WAF, the SB3 is embedded in the wall. Actually as I was fitting the kitchen I simply extended the wall and created a little platform to tilt the SB3 to the right angle. Power is through a fused spur with the switch below.
Kitchen speakers are the AE aego M's - also with their own fused spur. I can't get over how good these little speakers and sub sound - although I also cant believe what AE pass off as wall mounting brackets. Best description would be a spring...

In the lounge I have the more audiophile system consisting of the duet, Chord DAC 64 and (not shown but in the cab underneath) Naim NAC 72 pre-amp, NAP 250 power-amp and home made power supply for the pre-amp. Speakers (also not shown) are home built using twin Scanspeak 18W-8545 and 9500 tweeters with the excellent North Creek crossovers. DAC needs to be on top as its quite lovely to look at with its colour-changing lens thing, and also it runs *really* hot. The SB receiver is out because I just bought it - probably stick it away in the cupboard later.

only problem (in a whole-house sense) is that the DAC 64 re-clocks everything itself, leading to a four second delay. this has a low WAF as it takes four seconds for anything to happen once you press a button on the controller -and that usually means when the phone rings and you want to pause! Its easy enough to set it to no delay, but it definitely sounds better in its 'full' mode. Makes it really interesting in synchronize mode too...

other SB3s are in wife's studio and soon in the bedrooms.

Source is a home built ubuntu box based around a (very) basic mini-itx board. Has a custom VFD display driven by some custom software I wrote, and uses various bits of ripping/cataloguing software and custom scripts to auto rip to FLAC. Music is now stored on a readynas for security. This server is possibly the longest running mod project - I built an MDF box to hold the bits and the VFD about four years ago and that's how it stayed - never missed a beat (literally).

Chris

Pneumonic
2008-08-21, 12:32
Hi all,

I'm doing the whole-house audio and lighting thing, so naturally, am using SB3's and Duets throughout. In the kitchen, for maximum WAF, the SB3 is embedded in the wall. Actually as I was fitting the kitchen I simply extended the wall and created a little platform to tilt the SB3 to the right angle. Power is through a fused spur with the switch below.
Kitchen speakers are the AE aego M's - also with their own fused spur. I can't get over how good these little speakers and sub sound - although I also cant believe what AE pass off as wall mounting brackets. Best description would be a spring...

In the lounge I have the more audiophile system consisting of the duet, Chord DAC 64 and (not shown but in the cab underneath) Naim NAC 72 pre-amp, NAP 250 power-amp and home made power supply for the pre-amp. Speakers (also not shown) are home built using twin Scanspeak 18W-8545 and 9500 tweeters with the excellent North Creek crossovers. DAC needs to be on top as its quite lovely to look at with its colour-changing lens thing, and also it runs *really* hot. The SB receiver is out because I just bought it - probably stick it away in the cupboard later.

only problem (in a whole-house sense) is that the DAC 64 re-clocks everything itself, leading to a four second delay. this has a low WAF as it takes four seconds for anything to happen once you press a button on the controller -and that usually means when the phone rings and you want to pause! Its easy enough to set it to no delay, but it definitely sounds better in its 'full' mode. Makes it really interesting in synchronize mode too...

other SB3s are in wife's studio and soon in the bedrooms.

Source is a home built ubuntu box based around a (very) basic mini-itx board. Has a custom VFD display driven by some custom software I wrote, and uses various bits of ripping/cataloguing software and custom scripts to auto rip to FLAC. Music is now stored on a readynas for security. This server is possibly the longest running mod project - I built an MDF box to hold the bits and the VFD about four years ago and that's how it stayed - never missed a beat (literally).

Chris

Exceptional stuff, Chris.

sfraser
2008-08-28, 12:48
Blurry Pic of my audio room setup and Fan-less SC. SC case is from Logic supplies, boots from a internal thumb drive, has 1G of RAM and is running SlimNAS. Oh yea, currently has a 500G greenpower HD which is soon to be upgraded to a 1TB drive. This unit services 5 SB devices throughout the house at the moment.

aubuti
2008-08-30, 05:24
Blurry Pic of my audio room setup and Fan-less SC. SC case is from Logic supplies, boots from a internal thumb drive, has 1G of RAM and is running SlimNAS. Oh yea, currently has a 500G greenpower HD which is soon to be upgraded to a 1TB drive. This unit services 5 SB devices throughout the house at the moment.
Does your server normally live there, or did you just bring it in for the photo? Even fanless, I'm wondering why you put a HDD in the listening room, especially because the house sounds big enough to tuck it in a closet or basement or something. Nice rig nonetheless!

sfraser
2008-09-03, 13:26
Does your server normally live there, or did you just bring it in for the photo? Even fanless, I'm wondering why you put a HDD in the listening room, especially because the house sounds big enough to tuck it in a closet or basement or something. Nice rig nonetheless!

It usually sits there. I did have it in a communication rack in the basement but everyone that came over to the house who was interested in music wanted to see it, so I moved it upstairs. Our basement has a hung ceiling, so it's relatively easy to add 1st floor ethernet jacks. At one point I was thinking of selling pre-built units with custom rip/plugin consulting services, but I don't have the free time.

Regarding noise, i can't hear the HD while it is streaming music. It is also used as a NAS for another linux based thin client, once in a while if i am moving GB's of data to/from it, you can hear the HD chirp.

alZmtbr
2008-09-06, 09:11
Just swapped out an older bryston 11B for a slightly newer bryston B60R - this enabled a TRI-AMP setup!! Holy overkill! The Squeezebox is to the left - the digital coax out goes into the wall and comes out behind the TV into the ADCOM GCD-750 digital in. The analog outs feed a NAD system in another part of the house - adjacent to the home office area -- 2nd snap.

Black Pearl
2008-09-13, 02:18
Kind of all squashed together at the moment but needs must.

Squeezebox Classic
Rega Planar 3 + RB300 + Bias
Marantz CD-42
Marantz ST-48
Musical Fidelity B1
Tannoy M20

Tivoli Model One
Cambridge Audio iPod Dock

http://img33.picoodle.com/data/img33/3/9/13/f_Squeezeboxm_020b130.jpg (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/3/9/13/f_Squeezeboxm_020b130.jpg&srv=img33)

swhite58
2008-09-18, 23:21
Kind of all squashed together at the moment but needs must.

Squeezebox Classic
Rega Planar 3 + RB300 + Bias
Marantz CD-42
Marantz ST-48
Musical Fidelity B1
Tannoy M20

Tivoli Model One
Cambridge Audio iPod Dock

I also have a Rega Planar 3, but with the older non-rega R200 arm. I've finally decided to sell it once I finish ripping the last of my vinyl. I've had it since 1980, and it has been a gem.

Black Pearl
2008-09-25, 06:09
I also have a Rega Planar 3, but with the older non-rega R200 arm. I've finally decided to sell it once I finish ripping the last of my vinyl. I've had it since 1980, and it has been a gem.

Mine hardly ever gets spun these days but I can't part with it. Its my second one I had a previous version with the Chrome S-Shaped arm before this.

swhite58
2008-09-25, 18:47
Its my second one I had a previous version with the Chrome S-Shaped arm before this.

That's the one I have.

fluster
2008-10-05, 04:43
Greetings from Italy !

luuk
2008-10-09, 04:27
This way I can see what is playing.

svtcontour
2008-10-13, 23:18
SB3 and Yamaha CDC585 player as sources
MSB Daclink III DAC (unmodded)
Threhsold SA3 amp
Soundcraftsmen pro-control 3 preamp
Usher S-520 speakers
Home made cables

http://powerthings.com/pics/stereo/1.jpg

http://powerthings.com/pics/stereo/2.jpg

mswlogo
2008-10-14, 06:56
Here is my transporter setup.

Oops wrong thread. Moved to http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=350741&postcount=45

auronthas
2008-10-17, 06:25
Here is my transporter setup.

Nice setup but in the wrong thread. :)

mswlogo
2008-10-17, 11:06
Nice setup but in the wrong thread. :)

Fixed. Sorry I did search and thought there was only one "Pictures thread".

museumguy
2008-10-18, 05:55
Squeeze Box 3
Audioengine A2

I just moved for a new job and staying at a studio apartment. Missed my stereo in San Francisco, so put together a table top system for the apartment. Currently Using Squeeze Box 3 and Audio Engine A2. Thinking of trying Trends Audio TA-10.1 Integrated Amplifier with maybe Paradigm Atom Monitor v.5 loudspeakers?, in place of the Audioengine A2B. Would appreciate comments and suggestions on cables and speakers. Goal is a temporary system that is small in size.

-Stef-
2008-10-18, 09:46
... Goal is a temporary system that is small in size.
I don't know the Paradigm Atom Monitor v.5 loudspeakers but I do own a Trends Audio TA-10.1. I can't figure out though how an extra device can make your current system smaller?

RGibran
2008-10-18, 16:04
Squeeze Box 3
Audioengine A2

Goal is a temporary system that is small in size.

Check out the M-Audio and Mackie powered monitors in that price range. You may be pleasantly suprised.

RG

ajmitchell
2008-10-22, 13:50
Speakers: Hyperion 938 (http://www.hyperionsound.com/HPS-938.htm)
=>High-end, excellent value given performance
Amp: Classe CAP-2100 Integrated (http://www.classeaudio.com/delta/detail-cap-2100.htm)
=>Highly rated integrated, high power, clean, programable
Source: SB3 (interconnect misc digital)
=>Wired from server (itunes running on 1920x1200 dell in portrait mode)
DAC: Cambridge DACMagic (analogue interconnect Nordost Red dawn)
=>New for 2008, best value DAC on market?

For review of my system see http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=53985

Got some SB2s and SB3s in other rooms, but this one give best performance

Kozzer
2008-10-28, 13:40
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d61/Kozzer/IMG_3575edit.jpg

Dussun DS99 amplifier (sold in US as red rose passion) own chinese import
Dali Suite 2.8 speakers
Xindak speakercables and interconnects, own chinese import

sold that bigass tv 2 weeks ago, gonna buy a flatscreen soon

TomDac
2008-10-28, 15:56
Looking good.

As a long time Martin Logan owner I'm wondering what improvements you've realized going from Requests to Summits?

Also, I am curious if you have ever had your Logans setup in such a way as to not have your TV and component stand situated between them?

Difference between reQuest and Summits are vast. Much better bass with Summits. Better panel integration with woofer too. Smaller footprint, easier to live with than the reQuest, but reQuest had bigger soundstage.

I have toyed with moving the component rack away and in the corner where the amp is now, which would allow me to move the speakers closer together and get a little more focused imaging.. haven't had time recently, but I may try that in the future. TV unfortunately has to stay there. :-(

Tom
www.martinloganowners.com

TomDac
2008-10-28, 15:58
@TomDac

Haven't seen a dbx unit like that in working condition in at least 20 years! I had both a 3bx and their 20/20 self-adjusting equalizer at one point. Unfortunately, the equalizer kept failing and blowing my speakers when it did. The 3bx I kept for a while after that and used for companding cassette recordings. Those recordings sounded pretty good although only in my system. Take care.

Cool site: http://www.vintagedbx.com/

The 4bx definitely adds some punch to compressed audio files and makes them sound MUCH better. Doesn't do much for lossless formats, though.

_OS_
2008-11-19, 04:31
Here is a picture of my system. The speakers are Proac Response D28. In the topmost row are the power amplifiers, Accuphase A-30 in bridged mode. In the middle row to the left an Accuphase C-2000 pre amplifier with DAC-20 add-on board. In the lower row to the left an Isol-8 mains conditioner and to the right a Cambridge DVD89. The Duet receiver can be seen in the middle row of the rack to the right of the pre.

Home-made bass traps in the corners.

Sorry for the bad picture quality! The picture was taken with an ultra wide-angle lens.

Regards,
OS

adamslim
2008-11-24, 13:51
I always enjoy scaring people with my speakers :)

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x67/AmDismal/DSC_2124.jpg

Close-up of the system:
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x67/AmDismal/DSC_2125.jpg

From the top, left to right:

Audion custom pre-amp
Rock / Excalibur / OC5 / Seismic Sink
Pre-amp PSU
Ack DAC
Rotel RT-990BX tuner
dCS Purcell
Michell Iso HR on its PSU
Audion Silver Night 300B PSE monoblocks
SB+ on its PSU

topa
2008-11-25, 06:40
How's your "mini" system with the Charlize and Harbeths doing?
I've been considering swapping my Kans for the P3s.

SteveCresswell
2008-11-26, 12:52
Here's my latest pic of the Squeezebox

It feeds a Beresford mk6 DAC.
Sound output is via my home built single ended triode amp
and a pair of home built open baffle speakers using Fostex, Goodmans and Eminence drive units
the bottom bass drivers are actively driven by subwoofer plate amps.

http://homepage.mac.com/scress1958/.Pictures/finalbaffles.jpg

Steve

adamslim
2008-11-26, 14:12
How's your "mini" system with the Charlize and Harbeths doing?
I've been considering swapping my Kans for the P3s.

I do like the Harbeths, but the whole system is just wasted in the room that it is (kitchen, about 7' square). I'm tempted to get a Boom instead!

topa
2008-11-26, 15:12
Well then go on, get a boom, and make me a good offer for the harbeths! ;-)

JadeMonkee
2008-11-26, 21:48

It feeds a Beresford mk6 DAC.
Sound output is via my home built single ended triode amp
and a pair of home built open baffle speakers using Fostex, Goodmans and Eminence drive units
the bottom bass drivers are actively driven by subwoofer plate amps.

Steve

That is a fantastic looking system, Steve. Just thought I'd let you know.

swhite58
2008-11-27, 17:39

My cat likes to sit on top of my speakers when they're in use - something about listening for his master's (or his servant's) voice. He'd have a hard time with your speakers :)

Shane

Jetlag
2008-12-06, 19:48
My SqueezeCenter "Back End".

ReadyNAS Pro, Dell 2716 giga-switch, DLink Gigabit Firewall/Router, Linksys WAP (hacked FW), Motorola Cable Modem, APC UPS. All feeding two SB3s (1 wired, 1 WIFI) and a Transporter (wired).

http://home.earthlink.net/~lu-max/pics/DSC07245_resize.JPG

larry104
2008-12-07, 17:33
Old and New ...

A Nakamichi 410/420/430 set from 1979 - and of cause the Squeezebox Duet.

svtcontour
2008-12-07, 23:05
Here is my setup :)

Usher S520 speakers
Home made subs using Vifa M26 10" drivers
Threshold SA3 amp driving Usher speakers (full range)
Soundcraftsmen Pro Control 3 preamp
Audiocontrol PCA with 2 way crossover at 47Hz
Radioshack MPA250 125wpc el-cheapo power amp running subs
Squeezebox 3
MSB Daclink III

swhite58
2008-12-08, 18:15
The Ushers are rather nice aren't they? I've actually been quite impressed with their bottom end, considering their size. Of course they can't compete with a sub.

JadeMonkee
2008-12-08, 18:34
My SqueezeCenter "Back End".

ReadyNAS Pro, Dell 2716 giga-switch, DLink Gigabit Firewall/Router, Linksys WAP (hacked FW), Motorola Cable Modem, APC UPS. All feeding two SB3s (1 wired, 1 WIFI) and a Transporter (wired).

mmmmmm ReadyNAS Pro...

svtcontour
2008-12-09, 09:30
The bottom is actually very good, but I wanted more extension. I wanted nearly flat to 20Hz which I got now :)

The Ushers are rather nice aren't they? I've actually been quite impressed with their bottom end, considering their size. Of course they can't compete with a sub.

alZmtbr
2008-12-14, 21:20
picked up this SB2 from a fellow nearby -- he went to a SONOS system!! This shows the mess that is my basement, straight into a very early bryston 2B-LP and minimus 7 speakers. If I get to it -- I may through a NAD 1155 pre in between to allow local FM radio...

jasongilliland
2008-12-15, 12:27
Hello, I'm fairly new to this site and have had the squeezebox duet for a few months now and love it. Here are a few photos of my setup (still in progress).

NAD C370
Magnepan Q1.6s
2 NHT A1 amplifiers
2 NHT Evolution W2 subs in stereo
Musical Fidelity A3 24 DAC
Squeezebox Duet
Monster Power HTS 1600
NAD C 525BEE cd player
all Blue Jeans interconnects
Nordost Solar Wind speaker wire
Home made audio rack

zeuiax
2008-12-17, 15:12
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc92/zeuiax/DSCN1226.jpg

david_f1976
2008-12-19, 08:07
Nice stand, zeuiax. Do you have make/model?

adm
2009-01-06, 18:39
Recently put the old favourite A400 in to drive the main L & R channels, either direct from SB or from AV receiver line out. Got some interconnects that the local (real) hifi store makes in-house, for a lot less that the ones with brand names ... and now my wife has to suffer through "listening sessions" as I enjoy how much nicer things sound.

Now we just have to get those rear channel and outside speaker cables going up the wall hidden ...

ashmore
2009-01-09, 09:23
Rotel RA05 Amp, Quad 11Ls and a KEF STB2 sub. Pretty.

I admire SD/Logitech for designing the SB3 to fit perfectly on the Quad.

The box sitting on the Rotel is a Sony DVD player, which has a sticker on it saying 'new'. This is no longer true.

Please note the spectacularly authentic-looking flames in the fireplace.

Simon

whoosh
2009-01-09, 10:45
Congrats on the many fine systems that have appeared in this thread so far. Below are a few shots of my main system and the system in my home office space. I see many that have created a rack in a fashion similar to mine - threaded rods and big-ass nuts. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/relayer/audio/system3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/relayer/audio/system1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/relayer/audio/system2.jpg

For those that are wondering, my SBR was hooked into my office setup this morning when I took pics. Not that there is much to show on an SBR anyway.

whoosh
2009-01-09, 10:46
Proof that I have a Duet system. ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/relayer/audio/office1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/relayer/audio/office2.jpg

badbob
2009-01-09, 14:18
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f184/badbobsausage/Squeezebox_1.jpg

:-D

mamsterla
2009-01-13, 23:48
This is a dual use system - video and audio. There are a lot of moving parts:

Video:
Monitor - 60" Pioneer PDP-151FD Kuro
Video sources - Sony BDP-S350, Dish VIP622 receiver
Integra DTC-9.8 Pre/pro
AKSA 3 channel amp for center/surrounds
Dynaudio Contour center
Dynaudio Audience 50 surrounds (not shown)
Monoprice HDMI cables, homebrew audio cables

Audio:
SB2 modded w/BNC and transformer and external 5V PS (in box visible behind SB)
ART DI/O digital section DAC w/custom case and power supplies
PS Audio PCA-2 Preamp with HCPS
Thorens TD-124 with SME 3009i arm w/bronze bearing, Dynavector 20X-H
Homemade (Thorsten design) battery powered phono stage
HK Citation 7.1 amplifiers (two)
Linkwitz Orion speakers and active crossover
Velodyne DD-15 subwoofer

Slimserver (in garage):
Running on dual Xeon 2.8 Centos 5.2 server w/BruteFIR plugin for DRC
ReadyNAS 1100 for storage

Cabinet was custom built to create acceptable WAF compared to previous setup. Got to design the very cool slide out access to the TT that works very nicely. Now she is used to speakers being 4 ft into the room (required for Orions to sound good).

zeuiax
2009-01-15, 13:56
Nice stand, zeuiax. Do you have make/model?

One I got it at target for $99. It looks good but can only handle 25lbs per slot.

SoulSurvivor
2009-01-17, 13:37
Interesting thread to see various setups, i thought id put my twopence worth in :-)

The first is the living room setup. Squeezebox Classic and Duet Controller, Classic connected to a Denon 1909.

The second is the bathroom setup, a Squeezebox 3 (of Slim Devices variety) connected to some bathroom speakers, mounted in wallpaper covered MDF and placed above the bathroom shelf in the corner.

pjdowns
2009-01-18, 07:03
My Current System(s) plus some pics:

System One (HiFi)

Source

Turntable: Linn Sondek, SME Series III, Ortofon 530.
Digital Music Streamer (DMS): Logitech Squeezebox III

Amplifiers

Pre Amp: Exposure XVII
Power Amp 1: Exposure XVIII (Bi-Amped controlling the Treble)
Power Amp 2: Exposure XVIII (Bi-Amped controlling the Midrange & Bass)
Headphone Amp: Rega Ear

Loudspeakers

Main Speakers: Epos ES-14

Ear Speakers

Headphones: Grado SR-125

Cables

DMS to Pre Amp: Chord Chrysalis
Pre Amp to Headphone Amp: Chord Chrysalis
Pre Amp to Power Amp 1: Cable Talk Reference (RCA)
Pre Amp to Power Amp 2: Cable Talk Broadcast (XLR)
Power Amp to Speakers: Cable Talk Talk III (4mm Banana Plugs)
6 Way Power Block: TCI Constrictor

Equipment Stand

5 Tier HiFi Stand: Alphason (Not sure of model)

System Two (Home Cinema)

Source

Home Theatre Amp: Yamaha RX-V800RDS
DVD Player: Denon DVD-2910
Digital Television: Sky +
Games Console 1: Sony Playstation 2
Games Console 2: Nintendo Wii

Visual

Television: Fujitsu P42XHA58 (42” – 16:9 Plasma)

Loudspeakers

Speaker Package: Kef Home Theatre 3000 Series

Cables

DVD Player to TV: Wire World Island 52 (HDMI)
Digital Television to Adaptor: QED Performace SQart P21 to QED QCV
Adaptor to TV: QED QCV to Bespoke Component Cable
Games Console 1 to TV: Standard Composite Sony Playstation 2 Cable
Games Console 2 to TV: Standard Composite Nintendo Wii Cable
DVD Player to Amp: Chord Optichord
Digital Television to Amp: QED Qunex OT
Games Console 1 to Amp: Tech+Link Optical
Games Console 2 to Amp: Standard Phono (RCA) Nintendo Wii Cables
Amp to Speaker Package: QED Silver Micro (Bare Wire)
Subwoofer IC: Merlin Tarantula (Figure 8)

Equipment Stand

3 Tier Double Width Stand: Ash Designs Cosmic 4

System Three (Office)

Source

Computer: Apple 20” iMac, 2 GHz PowerPC G5 (Apple Lossless Files)

Loudspeakers

Component Speakers: Harman Kardon - Soundsticks II

System Three (Bedroom)

Source

Portable Digital Music Player: Apple iPod Nano (8GB - 3rd Generation)

Ear Speakers

Headphones: Sennheiser PX100

Others

CD Player: Naim CDI (Faulty – Possibly the DAC)
Mini Disc Walkman: Sony MZ-R91
CD Walkman: Sony D-E401
Portable Digital Music Player: Apple iPod Photo (20GB)
In-Ear Headphones: Sennheiser MX 500
Cassette Deck: Technics RS-BX404 (Currently Unused)
Power Supply: Naim Hi-Cap (Currently Unused)
Speaker Cable: Naim NA 5 (Not Terminated)
Speaker Cable: Bronze Special Edition
Interconnect: Tech+Link (3mm-RCA) x 2
Interconnect: Chord Codac1 Silver Plus
Interconnect: Chord Calypso
Interconnect: Chord Silver Siren (DIN-RCA)
IC: Merlin Funnel Web

HiFi
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/pjdowns/IMGP1506.jpg

Home Cinema
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/pjdowns/IMGP0366.jpg

Speakers - Plus Slippers ;)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/pjdowns/IMGP0474.jpg

Paul.

badbob
2009-01-19, 06:32
Why is it people into Hi-Fi buy medoicre AV gear?

Eric Seaberg
2009-01-19, 14:44
Here's my latest room for SB3 listening (sorry you can't see the SB in this shot, since it's sitting on a rear rack). We LOVE it while setting up shoots. It streams from my home where ever we connect from, and does sound GREAT!! Of course, it should, playing through a 3/4 million dollar system!!!

Bizarroterl
2009-01-19, 14:51
Maybe they're broke from the HiFi purchases.

pjdowns
2009-01-19, 15:32

Please see comment by Bizarroter LOL... Also, the Plasma and the DVD player are in no way way medoicre.

Maybe they're broke from the HiFi purchases.

So true !!!

sebp
2009-01-19, 16:18
My first guess is because they've already spent all their money in their Hi-Fi system.
Then, you could consider that there's no use in a TV when all you want is listening to music.

I once was a video freak, but found myself listening to music at least 4 hours a day, whereas I was only watching movies 4 hours a week.
When time came to replace my ageing AV system, I dropped all the 5.1 stuff (but the DVD player) for a Hi-Fi system.
Absolutely no regret.

mamsterla
2009-01-20, 09:58
I think that my system is pretty cutting edge for video -

The Pioneer PFD-151 is arguable amongst the best displays out there
The Integra 9.8 DTC has great features (pretty much the best set out there) at a very reasonable cost
As for BluRays - if you bitstream 1.3a over HDMI the transport does not matter that much

I think my approach is bang for the buck on Home Theater since I do not have a dedicated room for that or music.

BlueScreenJunky
2009-01-23, 11:09
here's my setup, and my TV is not mediocre... well actually it is, but I swear it was the best CRT I could find, and for some reason I just can't use a plasma/LCD (Besides a good LCD would cost almost twice as much more than my whole audio setup...)

http://bluescreenjunky.free.fr/gfx/install2.jpg

http://bluescreenjunky.free.fr/gfx/install.jpg

ralphpnj
2009-01-28, 14:01
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n64/jazzfan_nj/SqueezeBoxbedroom.jpg

This is a photo of the front end of my current bedroom system. The SqueezeBox digital output -> the digital input of the Maxed-Out Headroom Desktop amp (via coax cable), the analog output of the Headroom amp -> aux input of the Audio Refinement integrated amp (by the way, this is an excellent sounding amp and one can pick up a used one for under $500 - which is really a great deal). On top of the night table are my AKG K701s headphones with Moon Audio Silver cable. And of course, piggy in the middle.

Not shown:

My Sennheiser HD650 and Ultrasone Proline 750 headphones and a pair of Energy Veritas 2.0 speakers, which a located across the room.

I recently removed the CD player from this system since it is no longer needed, hence the title of this post.

iPhone
2009-01-28, 16:21

What do you consider mediocre? I listen to music 6 to 8 times more then I watch movies, but I still average about one movie a day. My Hi-Fi equipment comes first which is why I use HT pass through so my mains are treated as stereo by my Hi-Fi but are also used properly by the A/V equipment. I feel my A/V equipment is fairly nice and it does the job. All my neighbors (close friends know they are getting an invite) start acting nice and make sure they stay in touch every year starting around the second week of January. They all are looking to be invited over to see the Superbowl in HD on a 160" screen with full Vandersteen 7.2 surround sound.

I at least think Runco makes excellent Video equipment. We don't go to the movies anymore because unless its an IMAX movie, we are disappointed and besides the full bar and commercial beer cooler are behind the rear surrounds. The Pilsner glasses (inside center cooler) are at 34 degrees as are the different varieties of bottled beer. Or is the reason the full bar, speed well, wine room, and stocked beer coolers instead of the A/V setup?

badbob
2009-01-28, 16:55
What do you consider mediocre?

It's not what I think but some Hi-Fi people just don't bother when it comes to audio for movies. Why not? If you care about sound quality from CD's why suddenly buy tat for AV? For example I know someone with CD transport, DAC, pre-amps, poweramps, nice passive speakers probably 10K for the lot. But for the remaining stuff to go from 2 channel to 5.1 more or less cheapest things, Yamaha av amp, Yamaha subwoofer, and some Gale speakers.

That system at the top good example, Naim system with Epos speakers, for the AV Kef sats which too be honest aren't great.

iPhone
2009-01-28, 19:00
Here's my latest room for SB3 listening (sorry you can't see the SB in this shot, since it's sitting on a rear rack). We LOVE it while setting up shoots. It streams from my home where ever we connect from, and does sound GREAT!! Of course, it should, playing through a 3/4 million dollar system!!!

Now I know that your not going to call that WORKING are you Eric. I couldn't call that a job either, its getting paid to do something you would almost do for free, right? But still it's a good thing it's not your $750K. I will have to put some thought into what I could do with $750K, if I could only spend it on HiFi-A/V.

iPhone
2009-01-28, 19:33
It's not what I think but some Hi-Fi people just don't bother when it comes to audio for movies. Why not? If you care about sound quality from CD's why suddenly buy tat for AV? For example I know someone with CD transport, DAC, pre-amps, poweramps, nice passive speakers probably 10K for the lot. But for the remaining stuff to go from 2 channel to 5.1 more or less cheapest things, Yamaha av amp, Yamaha subwoofer, and some Gale speakers.

That system at the top good example, Naim system with Epos speakers, for the AV Kef sats which too be honest aren't great.

I see where your going now. Agree some disagree some, in other words I think it can sometimes have to do if the better half or available room use causes some of it. I have a friend that has almost $200K in his listening room (no video) but uses a HTIAB with a 50-inch plasma for his TV and movie watching. For him its about two things, the two rooms have different purposes and they can't share equipment so its go cheap on the A/V and have the Audio setup he wants. He retired from the Atlanta Symphony so music is important to him. And before somebody asks: his house is paid off, he holds some important patents, and made some very lucky stock picks while living under his means before retiring. He is living off a little more then when he was working so he retired and got a raise!

So looking at the example you site, its two different rooms with two different uses. I am kind of like you that I don't understand when its all in one room and they have $15K main speakers and $50 flea market surrounds with a $100 subwoofer.

scaler
2009-02-08, 14:55
Had this SB3 for about a week and think it's great. Mr Beresford has a DAC on it's way for me and I'm looking for a power amp to complete the system re-vamp - any ideas? Arcam Solo is great but will need to make way - looks like I'll be spinning discs once and once only from now on.

> Lenovo Laptop > SB3 > QED Interconnects > Arcam Solo > Chord Co Rumour 2 > Monitor Audio RS1

lce35
2009-02-10, 14:02
Sources :
- Brand new squeezebox 3
- Thorens TD145 MkII
- HK citation 23
- Kenwood DP1100SG
(but, will I need them, now that I have the SB3 ?)

Preamp : Audiolab 8000C
Amp : modified Linn LK2
Loudspeakers : DIY (not finished but working , you could see the filter outside at the left ) SEAS+Focal TC120TsX2 (WAF complaiant form factor)

jim77
2009-02-15, 08:04
Duet
Onkyo A 9511
B&W 602 S3
Beresford 7510

ralphpnj
2009-02-15, 08:23
Duet
Onkyo A 9511
B&W 602 S3
Beresford 7510

Nice setup. I love the way you don't even bother to list the other units, i.e. CD/DVD player.

eq72521
2009-03-06, 17:34
I posted here back in September 2005 (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=78993#post78993). Happily, I've recently made some upgrades. (No more latter day Altec Lansings, as was pointed out by notanathiest.) I don't know if anyone still reads this enormous thread, but I figured I'd share anyway. Though I realize I'm nowhere the level of many here, I must say that I'm still greatly enjoying the difference. At this point I figure I'll just have to relisten to my entire collection (approximately 2000 albums and 24000 tracks for 1700 hours).

It's a classic SB3 -> vintage Sansui 890 -> Paradigm Monitor 5s (I think originals or maybe 2nd revision). Upgrades also include the new flooring; you can't tell in the old pix, but it used to be this awful dark green carpeting. At some point I'll probably remove the fireplace insert (which is never used) and house the source and amp there.

Next up: A DAC and new windows.

alZmtbr
2009-03-08, 06:02
Finally got the LP-12 back into the lineup. This after 2 years in the closet, and then another 3 months at 'on the bench at the Shop'.

Convenience vs listening to old (and new) vinyls not in the digital library...

StigErik
2009-03-10, 05:30
Here's my SB3 setup (if you can spot the SB3.. its there right between the two near-field active monitors!)

ralphpnj
2009-03-10, 05:45
Here's my SB3 setup (if you can spot the SB3.. its there right between the two near-field active monitors!)

Hi Erik,

That's is just about the most minimalist setup that I have ever seen, aside from those two red giants. Very cool.

Could we please have some info on those monitors? Are they made specifically for such extreme near-field listening or is that just your own personal preference? What kind of drivers and amplification do they use? And of course, how is that beautiful red finish achieved?

Oh, and what's in the chest or whatever the that thing is that the SqueezeBox is sitting on top of?

I don't mean to pry but, as I said, it's such an extreme minimalist setup that you've gotten me very curious.

StigErik
2009-03-10, 06:50
Thank you for the nice words!

Its going to get even more minimalistic. The cabinet under the SB3 is way bigger than necessary, since I only need space for two 1U rack-mount units (multi-channel DAC and external Firewire audio interface), and a laptop computer. A small Montana cabinet (model 6142) is on its way (www.montana.dk), which is just 468 by 354 mm. Very small!

The 4-way monitors are active, with build-in custom power amps. DIY of course..! The drivers are 18-inch, 8-inch, 5-inch and AMT tweeter, spesifically Beyma 18P1200Nd, Seas W22EX001, Seas W15CH001 and Mundorf AMT2340.

The red finish is a bit darker than on the picture. Its just regular furniture laquer, color code is RAL 3007.

Crossover, EQ and room correction is run in the computer, and the power amps are fed directly from an 8-channel DAC (RME ADI-8 QS). The only signal source I use is the Squeezebox.

They are not necessarily near-field monitors, but I prefer short listening distance in order to hear the direct sound of the speakers. I dont like to listen to room reflections!

This is my custom listening room / studio. I also have a more normal stereo setup in our living room, where I have a Transporter. Will post pictures of this in the Tranporter pictures thread here.

ralphpnj
2009-03-10, 07:02
Thank you for the nice words!

Its going to get even more minimalistic. The cabinet under the SB3 is way bigger than necessary, since I only need space for two 1U rack-mount units (multi-channel DAC and external Firewire audio interface), and a laptop computer. A small Montana cabinet (model 6142) is on its way (www.montana.dk), which is just 468 by 354 mm. Very small!

The 4-way monitors are active, with build-in custom power amps. DIY of course..! The drivers are 18-inch, 8-inch, 5-inch and AMT tweeter.

Crossover, EQ and room correction is run in the computer, and the power amps are fed directly from an 8-channel DAC (RME ADI-8 QS). The only signal source I use is the Squeezebox.

They are not necessarily near-field monitors, but I prefer short listening distance in order to hear the direct sound of the speakers. I dont like to listen to room reflections!

This is my custom listening room / studio. I also have a more normal stereo setup in our living room, where I have a Transporter. Will post pictures of this in the Tranporter pictures thread here.

Thanks for the information. You have way more knowledge about the design aspects of audio systems than I do plus your skill in putting that knowledge to good use is quite apparent judging by the looks of those monitors. I'm assuming that they sound as good as they look.

I can't say that I'm a fan of near-field listening - I find that most music sounds better to me when the stereo fields have a chance to blend, you know the more traditional "sweet spot" location. The funny thing is that I don't mind and actually enjoy headphone listening - the ultimate in near-field listening.

StigErik
2009-03-10, 07:11
A lot of speakers are not well suited for mid- og near-field, they often need 3-4 meter or more for the sound to blend properly. An other story is that most speakers are so bass-shy that they need the room-gain too, and you wont get that with the listening position 5 meters from the rear wall like I have.

I do get the headphone-type of resolution and freedom from colouration, but I also get the stereo imaging and bass-kick you wont get with headphones....

Some people make jokes about my stereo... they think that a squeezebox is too cheap compared to the rest, and it just dont match. Myself on the other hand love to make jokes on plain stupidity!

Fedder
2009-03-11, 02:32
Some people make jokes about my stereo... they think that a squeezebox is too cheap compared to the rest, and it just dont match. Myself on the other hand love to make jokes on plain stupidity!

Amen to that!

/Fedder

joz
2009-03-15, 20:28
No pics of the SB3 in situ, but I'll try to start here.

A pair of JBL 2245's in 255ltre cabinets do give a solid foundation to the tunes.

These subs drive down well to 20hz while keeping musicality.
I suppose I'm one that feels that bass is the foundation of music.Then what it does for sounstage is something else.

I know that many feel tha big subs may destroy the music,but once you hear properly implemented bass I'm sure your tune will change.

And its not all doof,crash boom either with eq to keep the bass notes as accurate and detailed as possible.
The main speakers are just about to be replaced with something a tad more
serious.

Then there are some temporary DIY speakers whichh are filled with Scanspeak revelator drivers
(Troels Ekta Grands which are mighty in their own right).Struggling to see how they'll be improved but I"ll let you know when they're done.
But my dream is a bit more of a statement.
Still a couple of months away.
I suppose to some extent I'm old school with audio, bigger and heavier = better.

Oh the bottom pic is of the equipment rack but I'll have to update it with the SB3 in it ofcourse.The Sony 200 disc CDP is now outed btw by the SB3 which bests it in every dept,I no longer have a CDP in my rack at all.

The system is all active with one amp per driver using Rane active external x-overs.

My music:

mainly Jazz,some Blues and vocal with a smattering of classical and orchestral,occassionaly some classic rock minds its way back in for nostalgic reasons too.

Source: SB3 fed Flac from WD 1tbHD wireless.

Pre: Elektra

DAC: Elektra

Power:Elektra Theatre 7x 180watts/channel 8 ohms

Elektra Reference 2x 250 watts 8 ohms/500 4ohms

Speakers: Whatmough P31.

Troelsgraeven designed Ekta Grands (DIY)these truly are outstanding.Even if the cabinet aren't finished.

Subs: Diy with JBL 2245's (18"s) in heavily braced 33mm thick cabinets.

Anyhow all I can say is that the SB3 is the best addition to my system for ages.

ingels
2009-03-18, 16:39
Hi everyone..

First post and I just took some photos, not a big setup but atleast it sounds good (IMHO)

Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR606
Speakers: JVC SX-E3
Center: Dynavoice Magic S-4
Surround: Dynavoice Magic C-4
Sub: JVC SP-PW880
Other equipment: Sony PS3, Toshiba HD-E1, LG DVD Changer

I recently got my Squeezebox Classic and I tried to play around some with SoftSqueeze before the real deal arrived, I must say that I think it is easier to work with a real Squeekbox than the software version. All in all, it's a wonderful little machine that with todays technology (MP3, FLAC & Internet) made it fun to listen to music again.

I now use the squeekbox hocked up to the Onkyo with RCA cables, reason to that is so I can still listen to music while meanwhile I have a signal from my IP-TV box (HDMI) to the TV

Anyways, questions or thoughts are always welcome (More pictures can be found at http://www.minhembio.com/ingels/)

ralphpnj
2009-03-19, 07:34
Hi everyone..

First post and I just took some photos, not a big setup but atleast it sounds good (IMHO)

Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR606
Speakers: JVC SX-E3
Center: Dynavoice Magic S-4
Surround: Dynavoice Magic C-4
Sub: JVC SP-PW880
Other equipment: Sony PS3, Toshiba HD-E1, LG DVD Changer

...I now use the squeekbox hocked up to the Onkyo with RCA cables, reason to that is so I can still listen to music while meanwhile I have a signal from my IP-TV box (HDMI) to the TV...

Hi Ingels and welcome to the forum.

One suggestion/question: have you tried using the digital output of the SqueezeBox into one of the digital audio inputs on the Onkyo receiver? Or does having the IP-TV connected via HDMI mean that you cannot listen to an alternate audio source?

The reason I'm suggesting using the digital output from the SqueezeBox into the Onkyo is that you may realize several nice benefits from this type of setup.

1) Hopefully the DAC in the Onkyo receiver is somewhat better that the built-in DAC in the SqueezeBox and using the Onkyo's own DAC may improve the sound.

2) If the Onkyo can decode HDCD, the digital ouput of the SqueezeBox will pass the signal thru to the Onkyo with the HDCD encoding intact and the receiver should be able to decode the signal.

3) You can also pass, via the SqueezeBox's digital output, multichannel Dolby Digital and DTS signals from the SqueezeBox through to the Onkyo for decoding. Not a big deal but if you have any or run across any multichannel audio material it can be very useful.

By the way, I have one of my SqueezeBoxes connected to my Marantz home theater receiver via the digital output and I'm able to enjoy the benefits of all of the above 3 items - better sound, HDCD decoding and multichannel decoding. So it's worth giving it a try and you can even use one of your RCA cables to make the connection.

I hope this suggestion proves useful.

Ralph

ingels
2009-03-19, 10:16
Hi Ingels and welcome to the forum.

One suggestion/question: have you tried using the digital output of the SqueezeBox into one of the digital audio inputs on the Onkyo receiver? Or does having the IP-TV connected via HDMI mean that you cannot listen to an alternate audio source?

The reason I'm suggesting using the digital output from the SqueezeBox into the Onkyo is that you may realize several nice benefits from this type of setup.

1) Hopefully the DAC in the Onkyo receiver is somewhat better that the built-in DAC in the SqueezeBox and using the Onkyo's own DAC may improve the sound.

2) If the Onkyo can decode HDCD, the digital ouput of the SqueezeBox will pass the signal thru to the Onkyo with the HDCD encoding intact and the receiver should be able to decode the signal.

3) You can also pass, via the SqueezeBox's digital output, multichannel Dolby Digital and DTS signals from the SqueezeBox through to the Onkyo for decoding. Not a big deal but if you have any or run across any multichannel audio material it can be very useful.

By the way, I have one of my SqueezeBoxes connected to my Marantz home theater receiver via the digital output and I'm able to enjoy the benefits of all of the above 3 items - better sound, HDCD decoding and multichannel decoding. So it's worth giving it a try and you can even use one of your RCA cables to make the connection.

I hope this suggestion proves useful.

Ralph

Hi Ralph !!

That's the only trouble with the Onkyo receiver, it cannot have two different digital signals and separate them (Video from the IP-TV which is HDMI and Squeekbox with optical out into the receiver) so for now, that's how I have it hooked up BUT I do have digital cable hooked up too so I should give it a go and see how much better sound I will get.

I read in some other forum that the squeekbox supports and plays 5.1 surround sound too and I do have Pink Floyd's "DSOTM" & "Wish you where here" multichannel discs somewhere and since the receiver supports the Dolby True HD and the DTS-HD I should use the digital connection instead

I have to fiddle with the setup later tonight (and rip the multichannel discs) and see if I shouldnt add a connection the IP-TV box directly to the TV (That way I can still play music and watch what's on the TV)

ingels
2009-03-21, 13:10
As I mentioned in some other post, I couldnt have two digital sources on my Onkyo TX-SR606 (one for audio and one for image, ie: Squeezebox for audio via Digital RCA and DVD or Cable decoder as video source via HDMI) but when I disconnected the analago RCA and used the RCA Digital out it worked..

Tarny1234
2009-03-24, 03:21
Now the wireless system is fully functioning (months of faffing) I thought I could post a picture of the setup here.
I don't blame the hardware or software anymore, just my lack of knowledge on wireless hubs etc.
I can now sit down and compare sounds, does CD sound better than wireless music.......I don't really know, it is just different.
Linn:
Speakers: Kheldi, Tuner: Kudos Sneaky, CD Player: Karik, DAC: Numerik, Pre Amp: Waconda, Power Amps: 2x LK140

alunev
2009-03-24, 15:08
Just completed the rack (6 pieces of wood, nothing else), so here it is, in its rather basic form - SB3, NAD315BEE, B&W 685's.

Music is flowing from an external HD connected to Apple's TimeCapsule. For now, the setup is wireless, will probably move to ethernet, as SB cannot access the pure N-draft from AirPort.

This forum helped a lot when choosing my equipment, so cheers to you guys!

Alex

pscreed
2009-03-24, 19:16
My main system... of course you know the screensaver on the SB3 is "Analog VU Meters" ;)

Squeezebox SB3 and Controller
Benchmark DAC1 USB
McIntosh C46
McIntosh MVP871
McIntosh MC252
B&W Nautilus 805s
Sunfire Super Junior
Sennheiser HD650
Synergy Salamander Rack

Source not shown:
System76 Koala Mini (Ubuntu 8.04, Squeezecenter)
ReadyNAS NV+ (2TB Flac files)

flipflip
2009-03-25, 14:28
OK, my turn..

http://oinkzwurgl.org/gallery/squeezefotos/img_1178.jpg

http://oinkzwurgl.org/gallery/squeezefotos/img_1173.jpg

More pictures at http://oinkzwurgl.org/helgen_squeeze

And yes, I do have another speaker :-)

morris_minor
2009-03-26, 01:26
Hi flipflip!

Thanks for giving a link to your picture gallery - I was really interested to see a Boom on the under-shelf mounting bracket. My Boom's just turned up and I'm planning my new kitchen, so to see what the Boom looks like slung under a shelf was really good. Was it hard to do; I imagine as space is tight it's a bit of a fiddle?

Cheers,
Bob

flipflip
2009-03-26, 02:03
Answer here: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=410186#post410186

joz
2009-03-31, 16:58
Sb3 on top of one of the my subs..

The SB3 is the most amazing addition to my system with versatility.People can't believe what that little box is capable off.

The rest of my system pics are back on post 935

Gibbo
2009-04-01, 08:46
here it is

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/5514/loungeh.th.jpg (http://img27.imageshack.us/my.php?image=loungeh.jpg)

along with my
popcorn hour A-110
KEF Q3's
Canton Movies cd102's
Denon AVR1909
and panasonic 42X10
oh and wii

TheIBM
2009-04-02, 14:23
I eventually managed to locate a much wished for set of Quad II's which arrived in a real sorry and unexpected state. Some idiot had replaced the old smoothing capacitor block with a HUGE motor start capacitor as well as making a range of strange additional modifications to the output stage? Your eyes are NOT deceiving you, they are leather pads acting as an insulators! Although the wiring loom was intact and in remarkably good condition which was a bonus. After a strip and a few modifications such as adding IDC mains connectors (to make them electrically safe) together with gold input sockets and a minor improvement to balance the bias circuit they are basically true to the original design.

And... Just when the system was sounding sweet a set of eight tweeters arrived unexpectedly to add to the cacophony!

Hanswurst
2009-04-05, 13:13
No 5.1 no 7.1 no 9.1 no whatever.

http://www.bildercache.de/bild/20090405-215908-31.jpghttp://www.bildercache.de/bildercache_80x15.gif

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/2561/img0900m.jpg (http://img90.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0900m.jpg)

Only a Lake People DAC460 + Primare A32 + JBL 250TI Jubilee + SB

Hans

alZmtbr
2009-04-05, 19:15
Neat! A miniature Eames lounge chair!!

http://www.eamesgallery.com/cart/detail_prod.php?id=252

Or are you really that small? Talk about a HUGE soundstage!

iPhone
2009-04-05, 21:04

Yes that would be a huge soundstage. But what I want to know is the ratio of his screen to that seat?

The link that you left, boy they can't do math. They are ripping people off! The scale on the lounge is 6:1 and costs $670. I can buy the real thing for $3699, a saving of $321 over the model by ratio! At that savings I'll take two! ;=}

One of the HiFi shops I visit has some of the EAMES style furniture in the audition rooms. That low type seat puts one right at the proper ear/tweeter level.

Hanswurst
2009-04-06, 00:45

I'm so small that I can sit in a baseball glove

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/3042/img0906s.jpg (http://img522.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0906s.jpg)

Hans

iPhone
2009-04-06, 08:36
I'm so small that I can sit in a baseball glove

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/3042/img0906s.jpg (http://img522.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0906s.jpg)

Hans

Neat. If that is real leather, what a nice room freshener also!

Is the smaller one for your son to sit in?

Hanswurst
2009-04-06, 10:35
Neat. If that is real leather, what a nice room freshener also!

Is the smaller one for your son to sit in?

Thanks. If I had a son, I couldn't afford it ;-))
It's very nice real leather.
It is a "Joe" (named after Joe DiMaggio) from Poltronova.

Hans

Sam
2009-04-08, 09:13
Sweet chair, what is the iMac for?

chefgrill
2009-04-09, 05:57
http://www.nicobaumgartner.ch/diverses/SBSETUP-1.JPG
http://www.nicobaumgartner.ch/diverses/SBSETUP-2.JPG
http://www.nicobaumgartner.ch/diverses/SBSETUP-3.JPG

Components used:
-Squeezebox
-Audioengine A5
-Teufel Motiv 2

I first bought the Audioengine, and was a bit disappointed by the lack of bass, but since i wanted to have 4 speakers within my room, i then decided to buy something which can compensate this lack of bass. This is where the Teufels came in, and I'm very happy with this combination. When i watch movies, i only use the Teufels. Squeezebox IR-Blaster plugin controls the active input for the Teufels.

I have another SB in my bedroom, but it's not worth takign pictures of it.

Club1820
2009-04-09, 11:14
Audioengines 5 lacking in Bass? Most people consider them to be Bass heavy. I for one like their heavy Bass.

But yes, If you are looking for something for a media/home theater room - a sub would be needed no matter which free standing speakers you use. But in no way are the A5s lacking in Bass for what they are.

chefgrill
2009-04-09, 23:05
Audioengines 5 lacking in Bass? Most people consider them to be Bass heavy. I for one like their heavy Bass.

But yes, If you are looking for something for a media/home theater room - a sub would be needed no matter which free standing speakers you use.

It's just my living room, but this is where i listen to music.

But in no way are the A5s lacking in Bass for what they are.

I absolutely agree with that, but it just wasn't enough for me. If I had the money, I would have bought the Audioengine sub, but since it's very expensive in Switzerland, i bought the Teufel 2.1 set. Which is also a great product.

eq72521
2009-04-24, 21:54

I'd never heard of Eames before today, but based on what I've found I'm seriously considering one of those chairs (and not the miniature). My house is a mid-century modern and it would fit perfectly. I love the Internet.

)p(
2009-04-25, 02:49
Components used:
-Squeezebox
-Audioengine A5
-Teufel Motiv 2

I have another SB in my bedroom, but it's not worth takign pictures of it.

Ah another SB/USM combo...this is ours ;)

http://www.i-modernist.com/temp/samsung.JPG

Simon Chick
2009-05-01, 09:12
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg213/SimonDRChick/DSC03098.jpg
and closer up:
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg213/SimonDRChick/DSC03096.jpg

chefgrill
2009-05-02, 02:11
Ah another SB/USM combo...this is ours ;)

http://www.i-modernist.com/temp/samsung.JPG

hehe, same tv as well!?

bigbossman
2009-05-03, 04:44
Hi y'all, welcome from New Zealand.

Here's a pic of my main system and my new extremely surprisingly good sounding Boom 2nd system.

Main system:

Duet
Korsun V8i integrated amp
Jungson Moon Harbor CD player
Pioneer DV989 SACD/DVDA
Pro-Ject Studie turntable sumiko BPS/Denon DL110
Trichord Dino/Power supply phono stage
Pro-Ject Speedbox 2SE TT power supply
Wharfedale Opus One loudspeakers
mixture DNM-Reson/Audioquest/Nordost Blue Heaven cables

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z192/bigbossman_bucket/IMG_1814.jpg

Boom
Kingrex T20 class-d amp (12wpc!)
Klipsch Synergy B2 speakers
Straightwire cables

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z192/bigbossman_bucket/IMG_1808.jpg
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z192/bigbossman_bucket/IMG_1811.jpg

dekaliber
2009-05-09, 20:05
Here's mine:

http://www.dekaliber.net/_etc/front.jpg
http://www.dekaliber.net/_etc/back.jpg

PSB Synchrony One fronts
PSB Synchrony Two center
PSB Synchrony Two B rear
NAD M3 integrated
Yamaha RX-V1800 A/V receiver
Oppo DV971H DVD player
SVS PC+ 20-39 subwoofer (not shown)
MonsterPower HTS 3500 MK II (I really just use this as a fancy surge protector)

Currently testing out Channel Islands VDA-2 DAC w/ VAC-1 power supply.

minotauri
2009-05-13, 07:33
Pro-Ject Debut III Turntable (soon to get an acrylic platter and 2M Red upgrade)
Logitech/Slim Devices Squeezebox v3 Network Media player
Cambridge Audio Azur 640A Integrated Amplifier
Audio Control C-101 Series Two Graphic Equalizer
Harman Kardon 7325 CD Player
Rotel RQ-970BX Phono Preamp

Sanus Accurate Series AFA Stand
Athena AS-F2 Floorstanding Speakers
Acoustic Research 280V Bookshelf Speakers on Definitive Technology Stands

One nice open spot at the bottom of the rack there for a power amp - have a Kenwood power amp but looking for something better to put it there, so the Kenwood is in my garage stereo system with a Nikko pre-amp and ipod dock.

Bob in St. Louis
2009-05-15, 11:54
My equipment rack is on the left side of the room. It's just far enough to put a strain on my neck watching the mesmerizing VU meter dance to the music.
Sooo....When I built my last set of home theater open baffle speakers, I thought I'd put the SB3 in the center channel.

Watcha think? No I can look straight forward while thumbing though the tunes, or watching the VU meter.

Bob

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k60/BobinStLouis/DSC_0152.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k60/BobinStLouis/DSC_0147-1.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k60/BobinStLouis/DSC_0156.jpg

ralphpnj
2009-05-15, 14:22
Sooo....When I built my last set of home theater open baffle speakers, I thought I'd put the SB3 in the center channel.

Watcha think? No I can look straight forward while thumbing though the tunes, or watching the VU meter.

Bob

Excellent idea and even better implementation. Looks really nice and is most definitely a one of a kind center center speaker.

minotauri
2009-05-15, 15:15
Bob - very nicely done! jealous! :)

Bob in St. Louis
2009-05-16, 08:34
Thanks folks!
It's a lot of fun, and worked out very well with no negative side affects despite the wire lengths. I'm loving the end result very much.

Bob

CannonsJS
2009-05-18, 21:33
Hi Guys,

Here's my setup. Bedroom is a Squeezbox classic.
Lounge is a Squeezebox Duet (Sitting just below and in front of tv in pic)
All running perfectly on the mess that is the Linksys NSLU2, QNAP TS-219, and Linksys WAG54V3.

Bedroom 1:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~rx7sv/Toys/IMG_0630.jpg

Bedroom 2:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~rx7sv/Toys/IMG_0631.jpg

Lounge 1:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~rx7sv/Toys/IMG_0638.jpg

NAS:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~rx7sv/Toys/IMG_0633.jpg

morris_minor
2009-05-19, 02:33
All running perfectly on the mess that is the Linksys NSLU2, QNAP TS-219, and Linksys WAG54V3.

Nice setups! But I'm guessing there's no Mrs CannonsJS to object to the NAS wiring ;o)

Bob

CannonsJS
2009-05-20, 07:52
Thanks Bob. You're spot on, but since the mess is usually hidden away under the couch the reason for my single status must lay a little closer to home. :-P

Roger66
2009-06-06, 07:35
Hi,

here some pics of my very little setup.

Onkyo T-4330L
Onkyo A-8430
Onyko DX-6630
Onkyo TA-2550 Integra
Canton Ergo 609 DC
SB Classic

SB Boom in the bedroom.

http://s4b.directupload.net/images/090606/temp/u3fhi448.jpg (http://s4b.directupload.net/file/d/1817/u3fhi448_jpg.htm)

http://s11.directupload.net/images/090606/temp/he5miybt.jpg (http://s11.directupload.net/file/d/1817/he5miybt_jpg.htm)

http://s11.directupload.net/images/090606/temp/r8ds3r9w.jpg (http://s11.directupload.net/file/d/1817/r8ds3r9w_jpg.htm)

http://s10b.directupload.net/images/090606/temp/bhlfkj75.jpg (http://s10b.directupload.net/file/d/1817/bhlfkj75_jpg.htm)

bullethead
2009-06-07, 13:02
here's my current squeezebox set, other than that it's Harbeth speakers and Bel Canto throughout the rest of the system. 100% FLAC!

dhallag
2009-06-08, 19:51
so i was tired of always hooking up my laptop to my system so i broke down and purchsed the DUO. maybe one day i can afford the transporter. the sound is so crisp, clear, warm, wide and deep.

receiver: marantz 2270
speakers: boston acoustics vr940

thanks for looking.

ralphpnj
2009-06-08, 20:14
so i was tired of always hooking up my laptop to my system so i broke down and purchsed the DUO. maybe one day i can afford the transporter. the sound is so crisp, clear, warm, wide and deep.

thanks for looking.

Nice vintage Marantz receiver. Any chance you could post a close up of that blue lit beauty?

dhallag
2009-06-09, 10:24
Nice vintage Marantz receiver. Any chance you could post a close up of that blue lit beauty?

thanks for asking. what i would really like to do is replace those vr940's with something in rosewood so the entire setup matches. what i really love is that i can still be using modern day digital technology by streaming mp3's (recorded at 320 bitrate) while reaping the benefits of the sound and look of that era. i'm just lucky to have a perfect condition marantz 2270

ralphpnj
2009-06-09, 10:32
thanks for asking. what i would really like to do is replace those vr940's with something in rosewood so the entire setup matches. what i really love is that i can still be using modern day digital technology by streaming mp3's (recorded at 320 bitrate) while reaping the benefits of the sound and look of that era. i'm just lucky to have a perfect condition marantz 2270

Thanks for the close up photo. The Marantz really is a classic - in both looks and sound. It truly looks fantastic and I bet that it's built like a tank as well. So many of today's home theater receivers have tons of useless bells and whistles that only serve to hide their terrible build quality. Pretty much made to be disposable whereas your Marantz was built to last a lifetime. Keep on enjoying it for as long as you can.

iPhone
2009-06-10, 21:00

NICE! My college roommate had a Model 2270. I always liked that receiver and its glow.

Now all you need to do is order an SB+ (http://www.at-view.co.uk/sb2.htm) with rosewood side panels. The blue glow should just about match.

JSY
2009-06-11, 21:57

thanks for looking.

WOW - I'm very new to the Squeezebox community but your picture of that beautiful Marantz receiver was one of the first things I saw here. My dad had the exact same one and years back I had given it to my sister. It was flawless with the exception that the power button would not stay in (or "on") anymore without fiddling around with it. What great memories, thanks for sharing...

aubuti
2009-06-12, 04:52
Just out of curiosity, what is the vintage of that Marantz? My guess is mid-70s, but that's just from remembering seeing similarly designed Marantz gear around that time.

Mathiou
2009-06-12, 06:12
Here is my system:
- SB3
- A DIY amplifier ( ECL86 lamps)
- A pair of Fostex FE127 loudspeakers (dual bass-reflex)

iPhone
2009-06-12, 15:23
Just out of curiosity, what is the vintage of that Marantz? My guess is mid-70s, but that's just from remembering seeing similarly designed Marantz gear around that time.

Early to Mid 70s, they were built from 1971 to 1975.

Marantz Model 2270 (http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/2270.html)

I think what I liked about it was tuning it with my thumb only. Tuning Wheel a nice change from a Tuning Knob. Fingers on the side with thumb on the wheel.

dhallag
2009-06-12, 17:34
NICE! My college roommate had a Model 2270. I always liked that receiver and its glow.

Now all you need to do is order an SB+ (http://www.at-view.co.uk/sb2.htm) with rosewood side panels. The blue glow should just about match.

that would look awesome together. yea so i've requested the price.

Dingostrategy
2009-06-13, 03:33
Well it's time I put up my pictures. As you can see this is a truly remarkable system. A team of engineers worked around the clock for 6 weeks.

I just swapped out the AE2s which I was not entirely happy with for these Genelecs which do as well in a giant marble room as any tiny speakers you will find. They lack warmth (obviously), but when synched, the kitchen acts as a giant subwoofer for a reasonable overall effect, save for the gnarly echos whizzing everyhwere thanks to concrete walls, marble floor.

The larger genelecs, by the way, were extraordinarily detailed when I trialed them. Just that these ones can actually be moved. As you can see, I am fairly minimal - the bookshelf system will just be chucked when next I move, but I have to say for $80 bucks it's served its purpose very well :)

The Genelec speakers themselves were cheap, but the custom stands were very expensive. ;)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3349/3621126613_8d76df1374.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2071/3621126799_eceb1751d3.jpg

picker
2009-06-25, 20:55
My first post so I can post photos in my second post. ignore.

picker
2009-06-25, 21:14
House SB, Zon amp, (S/PDIF input) 4 zone speaker switch next to light touchpad.
http://rob.com/lancair/2009.06/squeeze-setup-09668.jpg

Zon audio router (does the doorbells via whole house MP3 too) and light switch CANbus hub. (Colarado Vnet)
http://rob.com/lancair/2009.06/squeeze-setup-09672.jpg

SC with an old slimp3 on top. (ether 00:04:20:02:02:2f, do you have and older one? :-)
http://rob.com/lancair/2008.08/s1-speakers-8482.jpg

Zon house audio router: http://www.zonaudio.com/

Computer USB DAC and amp:
http://www.sixmoons.com/audioreviews/icon/icon.html

Computer Speakers:
http://www.sixmoons.com/audioreviews/icon2/s1.html
http://www.sixmoons.com/audioreviews/nuforce9/sub.html

method man
2009-07-02, 00:14
Not much to look at really, but that was the idea.
Squeezebox duet connected via optical to the oboard DAC of the
active speakers. No boxes at all.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j165/sundancecarp/IMG_2452.jpg

flameboy
2009-07-03, 17:29
This is my office setup. I also have a classic at home as my only music source now. At work this works perfectly with being managed by multiple people with the web interface.
Notice our recently purchased Perreaux eloquence 250i integrated amplifier (touted as the most powerful a/b integrated in the world!). We opted for the internal DAC module but haven't had a chance to play with it yet. For storage we use a My Book mirror edition and the server runs on a laptop hidden in the cupboard underneath.

wwh
2009-07-03, 21:25
Equipment:
- SB3
- Open frame linear PSU for SB3 in DIY enclosure
- Crown D-45 amp
- Klipschorns
- DIY interconnects and speaker cables
- Asus EEE PC for remote control

Not pictured:
- VIA C7-based music server running Debian Etch

Here's a panoramic view from the listening chair --

Dingostrategy
2009-07-04, 02:10
Zon audio router (does the doorbells via whole house MP3 too) and light switch CANbus hub. (Colarado Vnet)
http://rob.com/lancair/2009.06/squeeze-setup-09672.jpg

This is an extraordinary thing. I think I will frame this image. Wow.

mac
2009-07-05, 20:53
See signature for description.

drewe181
2009-07-13, 05:16
It's been a while but here is my current system which has changed greatly

Technics 1200 with Cardas rewired tonearm, Ortofon 2M Red cartridge, and Ringmat 330 MkII turntable mat
Pro-ject phonobox
Burson Audio Buffer
Kingrex T20 amp modified with Auricap and panasonic FM series caps + external PSU
Monopulse 32s speakers with Anticable jumpers and Kimber Kable 4PR cables
Harmonic Technology 'Truthlink' interconnects with Eichmann bullets (SB->Buffer)
DNM 'Reson' interconnects with Eichmann bullets (Pro-ject/Buffer->Amp)
All sitting on a TNT Flexy.

With only one set of inputs on the amp, I'm constantly swapping cables. That is, until I can afford the pre-amp.

Webkemmi
2009-07-13, 10:46
Here my equipment after the latest upgrade with:

- new Speakers (Nubert NuVero 14)
- Windows Home server with 800 CDs in FLAC
- SB classic
- Cambridge DacMagic

http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/4363/dsc03259g.th.jpg (http://img398.imageshack.us/i/dsc03259g.jpg/)

http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/9425/dsc03254.th.jpg (http://img238.imageshack.us/i/dsc03254.jpg/)

http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/3488/dsc03250.th.jpg (http://img398.imageshack.us/i/dsc03250.jpg/)

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/5397/dsc03252a.th.jpg (http://img233.imageshack.us/i/dsc03252a.jpg/)

Hwirt
2009-07-13, 15:29
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm165/Hwirt/Stereo%20Equipment/DSC02312.jpg

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm165/Hwirt/Stereo%20Equipment/DSC02353-1.jpg

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm165/Hwirt/Stereo%20Equipment/DSC02343.jpg

bret
2009-07-16, 08:45
Hello All,

Here are some photos of my SqueezeBox's.

Very happy with my Tannoy Active Studio Monitors.

Regards,

Bret

DistantHoller
2009-07-18, 03:00
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm165/Hwirt/Stereo%20Equipment/DSC02312.jpg

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm165/Hwirt/Stereo%20Equipment/DSC02313.jpg

Great stuff! How much did that amp set you back? :)

Hwirt
2009-07-18, 05:49
Thanks for the complement; purchased the amp used for $2500 dollars (US). :)

Squeezed_Rotel
2009-07-20, 15:57
Duet SBC on top, SBR barely visible in right hand opening.

HighLife420
2009-07-23, 14:54
Im more of a headphone guy...but i do use a set of Cambridge Model Twelves that i have really enjoyed.

For my audio rig--

Headroom Desktop Millett Hybrid (#01)
Headroom Micro DAC
Headroom Desktop Power Supply (powers both amp and DAC)

with one of the following headphones

Sennheiser HD650s
Grado RS1
Grado HF1
Grado SR125
Shure SE530

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/7918/img04961024x768.jpg

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/9105/img04971024x768.jpg

chn68b
2009-07-25, 02:28
Not a system as such, still saving for a pair of meridians...

Anyway, this is my SB3 hooked into the Roberts MP23 all in one system. For a small box it really does have fantastic sound, more than enough for the small room where it resides. The photo doesn't really do it justice, it looks very nice in real life, finished off in piano black. The internal speakers run quite deep for a box of this size. All controlled with a Logitech Harmony One. Also occasionally plugged into a Pro-Ject Headbox Mk2 headphone amp with a pair of Grado SR-60s.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3470/3753916157_9eeabe1114.jpg