PDA

View Full Version : A photo of your Squeezebox setup (please)

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

ipy
2006-09-03, 00:08
SB3 (Bolder PS) > DPA DAC > Herron VSTP-2 > CJ Premier 350 > Platinum Solo

Andyoz
2006-09-03, 01:54
The kitchen is where most music gets listened to, so it seemed a good idea to have a reasonable system there.

Whilst on the topic of kitchen systems, here's my SB3 and active JBL LSR25P's. It sounds great.

PhilNYC
2006-09-03, 04:46
I've posted my system before, but I've moved to a new house, so here's the new setup:

Blue Circle BC3000mkII preamp with GZpz power supply - tubed, dual-mono
Blue Circle BC206 - fully-balanced hybrid stereo amp (tubed input stage, 180wpc)
Oracle CD1000 Transport
Dodson Audio DA-218 DAC (Acoustic Zen MC^2 digital cable)
Slim Devices SqueezeBox 2 Network Music Server (Acoustic Zen Silver Byte digital cable)
Bel Canto CD-1 CD Player
Focus Audio FS-888 floorstanding loudspeaker
Audience adeptResponse power conditioner
Acoustic Zen Absolute interconnects
Audience powerChords
Acoustic Zen Hologram II speaker cables
Blue Circle BC62 power cord (into BC206)
TAOC AS-4 equipment racks and platforms
Silent Running Audio amplifier platform (under the BC206)
Eighth Nerve and GIK Acoustics acoustic room treatments

mr_bill
2006-09-03, 08:10
Nice system Phil!!
I especially lik the finish on the speakers.

Sleestack
2006-09-03, 22:59
Sleestack,
How much was the power suppply for the SB3 you have and did you get it from mauimods?
Thanks,
Bill

Yes,I bought it from Anthony. It was purchased with several other items, so I don't know the exact price. $400 - $600. You should contact him.

Another pic in the 2.2 rig:

opaqueice
2006-09-04, 06:33
Another pic in the 2.2 rig:

I think you win, Slee :-).

Naive question - why do you need 4 monoblocks? Do you have a simple crossover in each speaker, with an amp for each?

It always seemed to me the ultimate in that direction would be to have the crossover be digital (say in some sort of super TacT) and customized to the speaker, with a dedicated channel for each cone (tweeter, woofer, etc.), and with a seperate amp on each channel. Of course for you that would mean 24 monoblocks if I count correctly...

Sleestack
2006-09-04, 09:39
I think you win, Slee :-).

Naive question - why do you need 4 monoblocks? Do you have a simple crossover in each speaker, with an amp for each?

It always seemed to me the ultimate in that direction would be to have the crossover be digital (say in some sort of super TacT) and customized to the speaker, with a dedicated channel for each cone (tweeter, woofer, etc.), and with a seperate amp on each channel. Of course for you that would mean 24 monoblocks if I count correctly...

The TACT systems allow you to use an external digital crossover (up to 24th order Butterworth or Butterworth Squared). In my 2 channel rig, this means that I use the TACT to set a crossover at 220Hz to separate the mains from the TACT corner load subs. Each monoblock drives either one of the Epiphany's or a corner load sub.

What you are talking about can be done already with the TACT BOZ 216/2200. I use that system in my 5.1 setup with the TACT TCS MKII. While I don't have 3 amps for each of my 5 Eggleston Andra IIs, I do use 2, separating the lower driver (at 135hz) from the upper drivers on each of my Andra IIs. I use a total of 10 amps in that system (not including the sub) and set the crossovers via the TACT BOZ 216.

Here is a pic of the 3 front Andra IIs in my 5.1 audio setup. Each one is bi-amped and uses external crossovers. I had Eggleston build them with the lower crossover disconnected. This sytem is eagerly waiting for a Transporter.

Loftprojection
2006-09-06, 19:17
Here is my transportable around the house setup. A modded battery powered RedWineAudio SB2 feeding a RaySamuelsAudio XP7 amplifier to AudioTechnica W1000 headphones. Music nirvana in every room of the house! (exterior of the rack still need a finishing layer!)

Sleestack
2006-09-07, 10:08
Here is my transportable around the house setup. A modded battery powered RedWineAudio SB2 feeding a RaySamuelsAudio XP7 amplifier to AudioTechnica W1000 headphones. Music nirvana in every room of the house! (exterior of the rack still need a finishing layer!)

Hey, Ray Samuels.... you can't go wrong with his stuff. Great guy and great builder. I used to own his SR-71 and XR-10B.

nelamvr6
2006-09-07, 17:29
Hey, Ray Samuels.... you can't go wrong with his stuff. Great guy and great builder. I used to own his SR-71 and XR-10B.

I'll say! I met him at the Boston HeadFi meet last month. What a great guy! And he had some amazing stuff with him.

He had a prototype with him, a HUGE amp he's going to call the B-52. What a beaut! Sounded simply incredible!

BTW, Mikhail from SinglePower was also there. he had some great stuff too.

nelamvr6
2006-09-07, 17:34
Yes,I bought it from Anthony. It was purchased with several other items, so I don't know the exact price. $400 - $600. You should contact him.

Do you think it is appreciably better than an Elpac? Or did you choose it for aesthetics?

jeffluckett
2006-09-12, 10:40
Here's my setup. As they say "it ain't much but it's what I got"...

I have to say there's some really impressive looking rigs in this thread, and some really nicely designed rooms/systems.

My setup is strictly "middle of the road" equipment, but it works well in my room, and I've fiddled and tweaked to get it to sound nice to my ear. Some of you folks may cry with dismay if you heard it ... but maybe not. :-P

It is a home-theater setup, but I only use the front pair and the sub for music ... unless I happen to listen to something recorded for DTS or Dolby. The antiquated tube TV is next on the "Must Upgrade" list ... softening up the wife for a 32" LCD.

All music is encoded as FLAC, and I'm using the optical connection to my receiver. I honestly couldn't hear a difference between Sony's built-in DAC and the SqueezeBox's, so I figured digital transmission was the way to go to avoid any noice getting introduced via the analog interconnects.

Speakers:
Front Pair (and surrounds): Cambridge Soundworks "New Ensemble" Satellites
Center Channel: Cambridge Soundworks "Center Stage"
Sub: Cambridge Soundworks Basecube 10s

Tuner:
Sony STR-DE875

Turntable:
Sony PS-LX100

DVD (doubles as CD) player:
Sony DVP-NS725P

PS: can someone clue me in on how to get my images to appear in the post instead of as attachements?

FZfan
2006-09-12, 20:53
A silver Transporter will be residing here soon...

Cary Audio SLI-80 F1 (direct coupled)
Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones
Cardas headphone cables
Musical Fidelity
X-DAC
X-10 Tube Buffer
X-PSU
Marantz Sa-8260 CD/SACD
PS Audio HPC-200
DH Labs Silversonic Power Cords
Straghtwire Encore II I'C's
PSP User Interface
...and just to the left, my favorite chair!

davidcotton
2006-09-13, 09:06
How much difference does that MF tube buffer make to the sound of the sb3?

FZfan
2006-09-13, 18:45
It's not a big difference but it is noticeable. IMHO the tube buffer brings the midrange forward with a subtle softening of the upper midrange and treble transients. No loss of detail, just a warmer/richer presentation - a good addition to an overly analytical or bright system however if a rig is laid back the buffer will pull it into the mud. Another benefit is the X-10 presents an easy load to the amplifier. Frankly it has more impact in my main system than in my headphone rig but as long as the X-DAC is there, the buffer will tag along.

nelamvr6
2006-09-13, 19:53
A silver Transporter will be residing here soon...

Cary Audio SLI-80 F1 (direct coupled)
Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones
Cardas headphone cables
Musical Fidelity
X-DAC
X-10 Tube Buffer
X-PSU
Marantz Sa-8260 CD/SACD
PS Audio HPC-200
DH Labs Silversonic Power Cords
Straghtwire Encore II I'C's
PSP User Interface
...and just to the left, my favorite chair!

Sweet setup, but doesn't that amp get hot in that cabinet?

FZfan
2006-09-15, 06:47
Thanks!

I modified the back of the cabinet so it is open for the top six inches and the front door is always open when I'm listening; it seems to do the trick. I have a low noise fan rig that was built for the rear of the cabinet but the airflow without is sufficient to keep the amp at a normal temp.

richidoo
2006-09-15, 12:49
Glad to see another SLI-80 fan on the forum! I think it is a great match for the SB. My pictures coming.
Rich

Mike69
2006-09-16, 13:53
AVI Laboratory Series Amp
Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers
Transporter coming soon

2string
2006-09-17, 12:27
This is my system.Sorry I cut off one of my speakers.

WSLam
2006-09-19, 08:54
Here are some photos of my setup. The DCC2 has been upgraded to SE. And eagerly waiting for my Transporter to arrive...

ws

highdudgeon
2006-09-19, 15:03
Sonus Faber and Pathos? Italian speed and luxury!

This is my system.Sorry I cut off one of my speakers.

WSLam
2006-09-20, 12:16
how do you guys embed the photos to show inline?

ipy
2006-09-20, 12:41

When you are posting, scroll down to "Additional Options" section & click on "Manage Attachements". In there you paste your pic url under the one of the boxes in the section "Upload File from a URL". Click "upload" & return to original menu to submit.

dean
2006-09-20, 14:49
Me. :)

Patrick posted this: <http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?
t=27536>

We had a slight delay on some of the case parts, so we haven't
shipped out any of the backordered units yet, but we expect the first
units to go out in the next day or so. The production team is
building up as much as they can given the parts shortage, so as the
parts come in, we'll finish them up, do final tests and ship them out
as fast as we can.

All the best,

dean

highdudgeon
2006-09-20, 17:52
That's both really elegant and I'm sure it sounds fabulous. Bravo!

Here are some photos of my setup. The DCC2 has been upgraded to SE. And eagerly waiting for my Transporter to arrive...

ws

Skunk
2006-09-20, 18:24
IIRC posting one pic will show inline, with more than one defaulting to linked images. I could be wrong.

2string
2006-09-21, 04:51
highdudgeon;I like your analogy.Italian speed and luxury!Thanks
I also have a Rel sub hidden in the corner that blends very nicely.

Walleyefisher
2006-09-22, 13:01
Wilson Watt/Puppy 7s
Wilson Center
Wilson Surrounds
JL Fathom f113
Anthem Statement D1
Anthem Statement P5
Denon 3910 DVD
SB2 (soon to be Transport)

highdudgeon
2006-09-22, 13:27
Yeah, but I bet it's not "revealing"...! ; )

Seriously, that's one hell of a rig. Have you thought of adding EQ of any sort? Of course, those speakers are absolutely wonderful and linear and you've clearly done a good job with room treatments.

Wilson Watt/Puppy 7s
Wilson Center
Wilson Surrounds
JL Fathom f113
Anthem Statement D1
Anthem Statement P5
Denon 3910 DVD
SB2 (soon to be Transport)

PhilNYC
2006-09-22, 13:41
and you've clearly done a good job with room treatments.

I hope I don't come across as being overly negative with this comment, but from the picture, I think there's a lot more to be done regarding room treatments for this setup. There doesn't appear to be any bass trapping, the speakers are corner-loaded, there's a big reflective glass screen uncovered between the speakers, etc. I'm curious to hear some comments from the owner as to how it sounds...

Walleyefisher
2006-09-22, 13:41
Thanks...I love it. And EQ? Isn't that blasphemy?

I use the SB2 exclusively for stereo sourcing and then they had to go and come out with a reference piece like the Transport....sigh. More money. LOL

Walleyefisher
2006-09-22, 13:51
Please expound... I would love to have additional feedback on improving my setup. I have very minimal standing waves and I primarily focused on negating the reflection points. While the picture doesn't clearly show it the corners are bass traps (Auralex Metro LENRDs). I'm also using diffusers and absorbing materials in the rear and can post a rear direction picture if it would help.

Enlighten me

PhilNYC
2006-09-22, 15:28
Wally,

There's plenty of sources online regarding room acoustics that I won't get into a big dialog here. But I'm of the impression that Aurelex bass traps are pretty "entry-level" in terms of broadband absorption...you should be looking for bass traps that are either of higher density and thickness; check out RealTraps.com, rpginc.com, and even Echobusters.com for more effective bass trapping (the EB Phase 4's are much better than the Bass Busters)...I think particularly because of your speaker placement, bass trapping is really the most important thing you should be addressing. Aurelex is decent enough for 1st reflection points, but rigid-fiberglass products are usually more effective than foam-based products....GIKAcoustics.com or Acousticsfirst.com are good sources for low-priced rigid fiberglass products.

As mentioned, I hope I didn't come across as being overly negative or anything like that. I can definitely tell that getting it right is important to you...was just surprised to see such great high end gear surrounded by what is essentially budget-room-treatments when room acoustics are easily your most important "component" in your system...and highdungeon's comment made me think about making a comment...

Chris OH
2006-09-23, 13:20
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=102657166&imageID=1203360561&MyToken=d33d62bd-f9d2-48e9-87fc-6995a673b9f1

Upstairs.

Downstairs tba

Chris

Walleyefisher
2006-09-24, 17:14
Phil - I appreciate the thought but to be honest I really don't believe that an audible improvement from my Auralex configuration would warrant the additional expense. Also, I'm interested in why you chose to mention the television screen? Unless you use a projector I see no way around it in a home theater setting. Unfortunately, I suspect your opinion may be biased as is most high end equipment dealers. Just FYI I'm currently using cable I purchased from Frank at signalcable.com and they perform equal to or better than numerous "high end" cables including Transparent and Audioquest. This too would be an attrocity in the eyes of my local high end dealers.

I wish there was a way to see clearly through the smoke and mirrors of todays audio dealers and their big brothers.

My $.02

PhilNYC
2006-09-24, 17:36
Phil - I appreciate the thought but to be honest I really don't believe that an audible improvement from my Auralex configuration would warrant the additional expense. Also, I'm interested in why you chose to mention the television screen? Unless you use a projector I see no way around it in a home theater setting. Unfortunately, I suspect your opinion may be biased as is most high end equipment dealers. Just FYI I'm currently using cable I purchased from Frank at signalcable.com and they perform equal to or better than numerous "high end" cables including Transparent and Audioquest. This too would be an attrocity in the eyes of my local high end dealers.

I wish there was a way to see clearly through the smoke and mirrors of todays audio dealers and their big brothers.

My $.02

Wally,

Not sure what the "bias" of most high end equipment dealers is, but there's no question that bass trapping is one of the most important aspect of room acoustics, and there's also no question that Aurelex is considered to be on the lower-end of bass trapping products. IMHO, it's not a matter of spending a lot of money on good bass trapping...I'd recommend going with a John Risch DIY bass trap if you don't want to spend the money. I'd also consider bringing your speakers out from the corners as a first step without spending any money.

That said, yes, I have not heard your system in your room, and from what you've posted, I'm guessing you're getting pretty good sound in your room. My comments were primarily in reaction to highdudgeon commenting that he thought your room was treated as best it could be.

And btw - I think Signal Cable is very good stuff, and I use their speaker cables in my bedroom system. I also use VH Audio power cords with some of my gear (they only sell direct).

FWIW, one of the hardest things about becoming a dealer for me was the fact that people who don't know me see that I'm a dealer and immediately put me in a group of "snake oil salesmen". I consider myself to be a music lover first, audiophile second, and audio dealer third. I don't expect any sympathy for this, but I do just want to say that what I say on these kinds of forums comes primarily from my own personal experience, and not from any other kind of agenda or motivation. Heck, I'm not even a dealer for most of the products/websites I mentioned to you...! :-)

As far as the TV goes, you're right. I have a cover for my own plasma TV that I use when listening, but I do now realize that for the purposes of posting a picture of setup, you'd want to show it to show complete setup. My Apologies...

highdudgeon
2006-09-24, 18:13
Phil,

You know I really respect you, man, so don't take this the wrong way: I didn't say it was treated as best it could be; I said he did a pretty good job.

In fact, he did do a pretty good job. Yes, speaker placement is an issue. Those things need to be at least a couple feet from the front wall and preferably that much or more from the back wall. Then, toed in to the listening position, and that preferably set up in an equilateral triangle with the speaker plane -- unless you want to go for bliss and use a 90 degree (not WAF) set up.

The fact is, he's got terrific gear and he took the time to think about his room and do something -- anything. Now, think about your experience with audiophiles. How many actually get around to dealing with corners, reflection points, etc? I've seen $100k systems in absolutely appalling rooms. So, on this account, yes, I think he's done a good job!

That said, yes, I have not heard your system in your room, and from what you've posted, I'm guessing you're getting pretty good sound in your room. My comments were primarily in reaction to highdudgeon commenting that he thought your room was treated as best it could be.

Walleyefisher
2006-09-24, 18:18
Phil - I realize that not all dealers have agenda's but it's difficult to ascertain which do and which don't. I apologize for lumping you in will all dealers as that was unfair. I did notice that the products you listed did not appear to be ones you carry.

Thanks for your input.

Walleyefisher
2006-09-24, 18:37
Highdudgeon - I really appreciate your comments. I did try to improve my rooms acoustics and felt pretty good about the difference it made. We all know that the sickness we call "audiophile" requires that we always have to question our current setup.

So let me understand your recommendation of speaker placement. You propose I move my main speakers out from the rear wall to approx 2ft and also away from the side walls the same distance? My room dimensions are as follows;

12'9"w x 23'4"l

The listening position is about 11ft from the front plane of the main speakers. I believe this falls in line with the calculation of no more than 120% further back than the distance between speakers. If I move the speakers out and in won't I also need to move the listening position in closer to stay in the triangle?

Thanks for your help.

ian_heys
2006-09-25, 00:02
My Squeezebox and the Sansui Eight Deluxe tuner amplifier I have used constantly for the last 33 years all over the world.

I couldn't take pictures of them side by side with the displays showing as window reflections and flashes got in the way.

The Sansui has no scratchy pots, no missing lights, the original tuner string and is as good now as the day I bought it (which you proabably couldn't say about me).

Perhaps not audiofile but near that when I bought it.

Hope the Squeezebox lasts as well.

Weather forecast is for yesterday in Sutton Coldfield and I am tuned to BBC Radio 2 (88.3Mhz) from the Sutton Coldfield transmitter.

http://www.heysfamily.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/SB3.jpg
http://www.heysfamily.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/SED.jpg

PhilNYC
2006-09-25, 12:25
Phil,

You know I really respect you, man, so don't take this the wrong way: I didn't say it was treated as best it could be; I said he did a pretty good job.

In fact, he did do a pretty good job. Yes, speaker placement is an issue. Those things need to be at least a couple feet from the front wall and preferably that much or more from the back wall. Then, toed in to the listening position, and that preferably set up in an equilateral triangle with the speaker plane -- unless you want to go for bliss and use a 90 degree (not WAF) set up.

The fact is, he's got terrific gear and he took the time to think about his room and do something -- anything. Now, think about your experience with audiophiles. How many actually get around to dealing with corners, reflection points, etc? I've seen $100k systems in absolutely appalling rooms. So, on this account, yes, I think he's done a good job!

I agree with everything you said. And yes, I do scratch my head a lot when I see great equipment in a room with little/no attention paid to room acoustics (and in this light, Wally did in fact do a nice job addressing the room). I do understand that in some cases, things like aesthetics and WAF prevent doing some things...

Bob Bressler
2006-09-26, 16:47
this is an interesting thread - gives me lots of ideas.

Jetlag
2006-09-26, 17:21
this is an interesting thread - gives me lots of ideas.

Me too! Now all I need is a truckload of money and...

funkstar
2006-09-27, 01:20
Me too! Now all I need is a truckload of money and...
...that ear upgrade i've been promising myself :)

Simon
2006-09-27, 03:20
Bob,

Nice kit, what's the amp and audionote stuff?

Regards
Simon

Bob Bressler
2006-09-27, 10:03
Simon,

Thanks, I've been tweaking it over many years:
Audio Note CDT-Two transport
Audio Note DAC5 (the most amazing DAC I've ever listened to)
Spectral DMC-20 preamp (mostly just being a volume control)
Kassai dual mono SET amp by Audio Note Kondo
Audio Note AN E speakers with the silver wiring

itai
2006-09-27, 13:10
Here's my new setup:
Wireless SB3, SPDF out.
Thanks!
itai

FZfan
2006-09-27, 22:53
Awsome rig! How do you like your JM Labs?

itai
2006-09-28, 07:26
thanks FZfan
actually, i'm auditioning these 1027 right now, and i'm liking them very much, and i'll probably add a pair to my basket...
they will replace my 926's.
:-)

PhilNYC
2006-09-29, 12:11
In anticipation of the arrival of my Transporter on Monday, I've moved my SB2 to my den system:

Squeezebox 2 (w/Elpac power supply)
Bel Canto Pre3 preamp
Bel Canto S300 amp
Focus Audio FS-68SE speakers (purple tiger eye finish)
Foundation Stands Designer II speaker stands
Audience Maestro interconnects and speaker cables
VH Audio power cords
Blue Circle Music Bar power filter
Ikea LACK table

itai
2006-09-30, 00:43
wow, thats a very nice setup, with the new bel canto rigs!

Craig
2006-09-30, 02:12
Here's my recently updated ;-) and rather unconventional setup.

From top

Junior Monarch Gramophone (1905)
Meridian 508
Audiolab 8000P
Audiolab 8000C
Yamaha tuner
Slim devices Transporter
Linn Keilidhs
Decca Model 66 Portable Gramophone (1927)

The Decca Model 66 retailed at £4 17/6 when new, I don't think that would be much less than a $2000 Transporter nowadays.

Craig

Henry Krinkle
2006-10-02, 18:35
Here's my rig. Nothing special. I also have an SB3 in the living room upstairs and one in the master bedroom. I can't imagine listening to music with out my Squeezebox.

The camera I used for these pics isn't all that great. I'm hoping to redo them when we finally get a decent digital camera.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mattbaron/HomeTheater

Here's my kit list:

Def Tech SM450 Front L/R
Def Tech Mythos Seven Center
Def Tech Gem Rear L/R
REL R-205 Sub
Yamaha RX-V550
Yamaha DVD-S550
Squeezebox 3
Panasonic TH-37PX50U 37" Plasma
(Hopefully a TiVo Series 3 will be added soon)

khedspeth
2006-10-20, 17:44
Here is my bedroom system...

SB3 - iMPAMP - Infinity Primus 150

Sleestack
2006-10-22, 21:11
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i24/sleestack666/DSC01001.jpg

inguz
2006-10-23, 18:56
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hughpyle/277860358/

Transporter -> LM3886 -> Gallo A'Diva (while the Ref3s are out on loan...)

ncpl
2006-10-24, 05:14
I'm currently running my SB3 directly into a pair of DSP 8000's using the D1 digital input. I don't think you can get simpler than that.

The rest of sources go via a processor into D2 input.

SB3 sits on top of the centre speaker, along with the Meridian remote sensor and a Harmony remote.

audiofi
2006-10-24, 06:58
I have just put a gallery on my webpage, so if anyone would like their picture added, email it through and I'll create an extra category for them all

Andrew
andrew at audiofi.co.uk

wiped
2006-10-24, 07:09
Squeezebox 3 -> Digital out to: Pioneer VSX-AX5i
Monitor Audio Speakers
Harmonic Tech Speaker Cables Pro-11
Controlled by RF Remote Control (Aeros)
Temperature controlled 12cm fans in each cabinet (2 digital sensors in each).
Absolutley silent operation and no problems with heat.
Bigger pictures here:

http://peter-pia.smugmug.com/gallery/2045119/1/105039615

Jetlag
2006-10-27, 15:54
Here is my simple master bedroom setup:

SharpVision 34N-WF5H HDTV
Dishnetwork ViP-622 HD-DVR
Paradigm Studio Reference 20 v2
Parasound Zamp v3
SB3 (all black)
PSAudio Ultimate Outlet

(Sorry for the dark photo, but this was the best photo out of about 30 that I took. The room is quite dark on purpose)

stevo
2006-11-04, 16:04
My SB3 with VAF Signature I-93's in the background. The Perreaux 200iP amp is out of view. The setup is so simple, SB>Amp>Speakers (with no CD's in sight), but it sounds fantastic.

I am trying to ensure the WAF (Wife Approval Factor) doesn't drop - note the vase and the Australian Colonial HiFi stand - amazing that they made Hifi stands in the 19th Century!

I have just ordered the Transporter.

regards
Steve

inguz
2006-11-04, 20:27
My small and simple kitchen system:
SB3 -> M-Audio DX4.

Linn K20 cable behind the sink to the other speaker :-)

crooner
2006-11-05, 21:50
Here is my latest "bedroom" system :-)

SB3 with custom linear power supply.
Lite Audio DAC-60 tube output 24 bit DAC.

VPI Scout with Benz Glider M2 cartridge
Audio Research PH3 phono preamp
Audio Research SP16L tube preamp
Audio Research VS110 tube power amp
Vandersteen 2Ce signatures
Vandersteen 2W powered sub

Total retail cost including cables is slighly below $17,000. Needless to say, it sounds fantastic and I intend to keep it for many years to come.

inguz
2006-11-06, 05:03
Oooh. Swap?

topa
2006-11-06, 05:36
That Ricke Lee Jones LP rocks! :-)

crooner
2006-11-06, 14:51
That Ricke Lee Jones LP rocks! :-)

oh yeah. I got it for 40 bucks at the local high end dealer. Surfaces are incredibly quiet!

crooner
2006-11-06, 14:54
Oooh. Swap?
what do you have for swappin'? ;-)

inguz
2006-11-06, 18:08
Just that M-Audio active speaker. You know, anytime I see a rack full of Audio Research gear I go all weak at the knees :-)

crooner
2006-11-06, 22:39
Well, I thought I never could afford a tube ARC setup but somehow I managed to get all this shebang together. Thanks to eBay, I sold my old stuff at stratospheric prices, and that certainly helped!

I powered it up earlier tonight, and I think it still needs to be broken-in for a while. I find it a bit soft in the highs, too polite. I hope it opens up as I put more hours on the tubes :-)

Just that M-Audio active speaker. You know, anytime I see a rack full of Audio Research gear I go all weak at the knees :-)

crooner
2006-11-06, 22:40
Well, I thought I never could afford a tube ARC setup but somehow I managed to get all this whole shebang together. Thanks to eBay, I sold my old stuff at stratospheric prices, and that certainly helped!

I powered it up earlier tonight, and I think it still needs to broken-in for a while. I find it a bit soft in the highs, too polite. I hope it opens up as I put more hours on the tubes :-)

ModelCitizen
2006-11-17, 01:56
As I've just taken a photo for another thread I thought I'd upload it here. Here's my system... complete with racing playlist. Not SB3 strictly, but a Transporter. All Naim, PMC OB1s and a Transporter.
MC

CardinalFang
2006-11-17, 06:15
As I've just taken a photo for another thread I thought I'd upload it here. Here's my system... complete with racing playlist. Not SB3 strictly, but a Transporter. All Naim, PC OB1s and a Transporter.
MC

Damn you, I'm really jealous now...that's a fine layout. I still have my racing minis in the loft that I got for my 21st birthday, I must dig them out this weekend. I used to have a nice set when I was a kid too, but it suffered from additional "realism", like 3-in-one oil for oil patches and meths for the occasional fire :-) I can't imagine my kids getting up to the kind of stupid stuff I did when I was their age, it's too scary!

I'm a fan of Naim gear too, although I'm currently all Copland for the main setup. I still have a Nait 2 that I use in the kitchen coupled up to some Linn ceiling speakers, a fine old amp that can still hold its own.

ajmitchell
2006-11-17, 08:56
As I've just taken a photo for another thread I thought I'd upload it here. Here's my system... complete with racing playlist. Not SB3 strictly, but a Transporter. All Naim, PC OB1s and a Transporter.
MC

Excellent set up, I guess its hard to follow the cars round the track with that telescope though ;)

My experience with the OB1s is they they offer excellent resolution but can be improved with a sub (or two!) to increase lower end.

Added: Not that they are bass light, but most domestic speakers can be improved with a good quality sub or two in my experience!

Ron F.
2006-11-17, 20:56
Shown here is my SB3 setup: the SB3 is powered by a DIY PSU, and connects to a CI Audio VDA-2 via a Toslink I.C. The power supplies for the Squeezebox and the DAC are at the top. The SB3 is sitting on top of a Headroom Max headphone amp that drives a pair of 650s.

bcretty
2006-11-18, 16:42
That's perty........
Nice pics.

Enjoy.
Bri

bullethead
2006-11-19, 14:43
http://www.stevevarga.org/images/squeezetube.jpg
http://www.stevevarga.org/images/system-10-14-06-2.jpg

Here's my diggs for those who are interested!

merc4a2
2006-11-19, 22:36
Here's a photo of my setup. This is the polar opposite of my home theater room with the black and aluminum full-height AV rack. I have my squeeze box in the living room which is the wife's turf. The shelving my the fireplace was the only wall that allowed me to use the r/c from the kitchen across the room. I have a Tripp-Lite medical grade power conditioner supplying juice to the squeezebox and the Parasound Zamp and Zone selector mounted in the wall. I was nervous putting the amp above the fireplace and spent a day letting a fire burn all day while it was above 90 outside. The temp inside the wall never got above 95, so I think the amp is safe. I have Wireworld interconnects that have a pearl outer insulation and are almost invisible against the off-white wall. I just need a new power supply w/ a white cable. The wires just go right through a hole in the wall up to the amp to avoid any additional resistance introduced by wall connectors.

Cleve
2006-11-23, 22:37
The current version of my Home Theatre/Audio system. From top to bottom

SB3
McIntosh Mc2205
McIntosh MX-132
McIntosh MC7100
Belkin PURE AV power center
McIntosh MAC4100
Oppo DVD player
Denon DRM-3 cassette deck

Speakers - left, center, and right - Klipsch Epic CF-4s

Not shown in the photo - Klipsch Epic CF-3s - Left and right surround.

AudioPhil
2006-11-27, 15:06
Here is a pic of my system with SB3 and Peter Daniel Non-OS dac.
http://cgim.audiogon.com/i/vs/i/f/1162774336.jpg
http://cgim.audiogon.com/i/vs/i/f/1160407954.jpg

I've really enjoyed the non-os dac and my sb3. Vinyl still sounds quite a bit better... but now my digital is at a more comparable level.

Nate

Jetlag
2006-11-27, 15:24

SB3
McIntosh Mc2205
McIntosh MX-132
McIntosh MC7100
McIntosh MAC4100
Oppo DVD player

Hmmm, you didn't mention the Northern, Muskie or Large Mouth Bass as part of your setup? Exactly what part of MN do you live in? ;)
Does the Bass provide additional, ummm, Bass?

ModelCitizen
2006-11-28, 01:25
SB3
McIntosh Mc2205
McIntosh MX-132
McIntosh MC7100
McIntosh MAC4100
Oppo DVD player

You forgot to mention the fish. Used for sound dampening qualities no doubt. Are they Pike (or Salmon?)?
MC

Squirrel
2006-11-28, 15:36
Haven't got any pics at present, my house is undergoing refurbishment so I'm staying at a friend's for the time being...

Anyway, the system(s):

Living room:

Arcam AVR250 AV receiver
Arcam DV79 DVD Audio player
Rega Planar 3 turntable with RB300 tonearm and Ortofon 510 cart
Pro-Ject Phono Box II
Sony RCD-W100 CD recorder
Sony MDS-JB980 minidisc deck
Technics RS-BX606 cassette deck
Media centre PC
Turtle Beach Audiotron
Pinnacle ShowCenter
Sky+ PVR
Philips VR-1000 SVHS VCR
Panasonic TX32PM1 32" widescreen CRT TV
Mordaunt Short Avant 908 (main), 905C (centre) 2x 903S bipolar (surround)
B&W ASW-1000 sub

Chord Cobra III for DVD to amp, Cambridge Audio Tape Solution for MD and cassette deck, Cambridge Atlantic for VCR audio, Profigold S-video interconnect (VCR to amp), home-made SCART-RGB component cables. 908 and 905C speakers connected with Chord Rumour 4 cable, rears connected with 105-strand OFC (basically Gale XL-105 but bought on a 100m roll).

Also have Isotek power cables on amp and DVD player, all plugged in to a surge and RFI filtered 4 way block (amp, DVD, sub and phono pre-amp are on RFI filtered block).

All the rear speaker cables (along with line level feed for Zone 2) are buried in the wall, so high WAF when needed. I'm single at present... but when I'm not I won't have to rearrange everything!

Ok, no SB in that setup, but...

Zone 2 feed from amp feeds a Kenwood KA-3020SE driving a pair of APart 8" coaxial ceiling speakers in the kitchen. Feed goes through a small relay box driven from "geek port" on SB3 in kitchen, when SB3 switched on the kitchen speakers are supplied by the Squeezebox, when off they're fed from Zone 2 on the Arcam. Not exactly "audiophile", but fed through a 5-band EQ to compensate for room acoustics.

Zone 3 (office/dining room) currently runs from SPDIF output on USB sound card (Creative MP3 Blaster). Tend to use WinAmp for this, but no reason why I couldn't use SoftSqueeze if I wanted to sync stuff.

Zone 4 (Bathroom) - SB3 sits in custom enclosure in false wall, feeding an old Technics SU-VX500 amplifier. This drives another pair of APart 8" ceiling speakers. Considering using software room correction on this, but currently runs through a 10-band EQ to take out some of the peaks (tiled walls etc).

Zone 5 (master bedroom) - Yamaha DSP-AX620 amp, Toshiba SD-530 DVD-Audio player, Sony RDR-HXD710 DVD/HD recorder with Freeview, Sky+, Grundig 32" widescreen TV, Audiotron, Showcenter, Gale 4/Centre 2/2i speakers, Paradigm PS-1000 subwoofer.

Zone 6 (spare bedroom) - haven't decided yet, but all the wiring's in for multiroom.

Zone 7 (box room) - same as zone 6.

Zone 8 (Garden) - slaved from zone 3 at present, but may well buy another SB3 and install in utility room. 2 pairs of weatherproof "rock effect" speakers (one set wired for L-R difference signal for surround effect) running from an old Sony mini system with 6 band EQ (some heavy EQ needed to get speakers to sound decent).

Will post pics as soon as the building work gets completed in various rooms!

Squirrel
2006-11-29, 13:44
In the meantime... here's the temporary setup in the room at my friend's that I've taken over as an office until my house is ready...

SB3, Arcam Black Box 50, Yamaha DSP-A592 (running in straight stereo), Chord Cobra II interconnect, Audio Innovations Silver Bi-Wire speaker cable.

Speakers (not shown) are Eltax Symphony 6 floorstanders.

nsosnicki
2006-12-02, 14:09
In the ceiling above the shower, I have a pair of Niles CM76.2 speakers, chosen for their moisture resistance (painted black, so hard to see in the picture). They are powered by a T-Amp which is hidden in a false bottom of the medicine cabinet. The T-Amp's power supply is connected to an Insteon relay which is linked to the bathroom lights (the amp is only powered when the lights are on). The SB is in the medicine cabinet.

Through Indigo home automation software, the bathroom light switches are scripted so a double tap on starts the SB playing. Also, when the lights are turned off, the volume is reset to a low level and the SB is turned off.

Bob Bressler
2006-12-02, 14:19
very nice use of home automation!

sc53
2006-12-03, 09:47
Just got SB3 and got the upgraded Mauimods power supply for it (from Tony--thanks!). Here it is next to the Benchmark DAC1 in my living room system. Still amazed at this little wonder. Still wondering about getting Transporter for my big system....

peejay
2006-12-04, 04:25
This is an integration testing scenario for my DIY phono pre-amp. That's a Pro-ject turntable (1.2, discontinued I think), NAD HT amplifier, no prizes for recognising the squeezebox...
I was doing an end to end test and couldn't help but take a photo - it just seemed right. Internal leads are all too long at the moment, but I'll shorten those, I promise. It was a pleasure to swap out the SB3 input for something a little warmer, with nice RIAA equalisation. Go on, guess what was spinning on the turntable......Oh, speakers are B&W 601s, take a lot of punch to wake them up...not my favourites, but nice when driven well.

ob_kook
2006-12-05, 23:34
My minimalist system. squeezebox --> passive attenuator --> Amps --> speakers

Still need to get better interconnects, but the system is pretty much as envisioned.

Stereofix
2006-12-10, 04:23
SB3
Harman/Kardon 630 Twin Power Receiver
B&W DM602 S2

truckfighters
2006-12-11, 10:14
TRANSPORTER -> REDGUM RGAsil Cinch -> REDGUM RGi120ENR Signature Series Amp -> REDGUM Speaker Cabel 10mm2 -> B&W N 802D

What a ride! I'll post a complete picture later ...

ModelCitizen
2006-12-11, 11:54
What an incredible looking amp!
Why've you got it upside down?
MC

ezkcdude
2006-12-11, 12:50
Here's my SB3 with the EZDAC.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o246/ezkcdude/ezdac.jpg
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o246/ezkcdude/ezdual.jpg

tomsi42
2006-12-11, 13:07
What an incredible looking amp!
Why've you got it upside down?
MC

Because he got it from "down under" ? ;)

Tom

truckfighters
2006-12-11, 15:15
truly, thats the way the amp should be placed like - down under -

anyway, even after hours of playing it only gets near hand warm...

Schindler
2006-12-16, 05:02
Bathroom-Setup:

APart SBR-160 Amp, Canton InCeiling 70, custom made ceiling mount...

Christian

highdudgeon
2006-12-16, 23:57
That's a really nice and clever use of the squeeze box -- I'd like something similar myself. Kudos!

Bathroom-Setup:

APart SBR-160 Amp, Canton InCeiling 70, custom made ceiling mount...

Christian

SadGamerGeek
2006-12-17, 07:03
That's a really nice and clever use of the squeeze box -- I'd like something similar myself. Kudos!

Yeah, very nice!

Have you had to do anything to protect against the humidity/moisture, or is the SB3 pretty well sealed?

Schindler
2006-12-17, 14:35
@SadGamerGeek, no did not, it is only a problem if the girlfriend takes a bath and this is maybe once a week. I hope the speakers and squeezebox will hold...

christian

notanatheist
2006-12-17, 18:58
@SadGamerGeek, no did not, it is only a problem if the girlfriend takes a bath and this is maybe once a week. I hope the speakers and squeezebox will hold...

christian

Surely she showers the other days of the week?

Schindler
2006-12-18, 00:09
Correct, and the shower is in another room... no squeezebox there... ;-)

Christian

repman
2006-12-18, 16:23
Well the dog likes the Squeezebox too...

Speed
2006-12-20, 08:57
SB3 with Crestron TPMC-10.
Crestron is running the Media Realms module available at

http://modules.mediarealms.co.uk

ModelCitizen
2006-12-20, 12:54
Well the dog likes the Squeezebox too...
I think he'd prefer a nice cup of tea.
MC

noision
2006-12-20, 13:50
SB, NAD C372 and Monitor Audio Silver RS6

mantis007
2006-12-21, 17:32
SB2 w/full Bolder Cable mods & Bolder Ultimate II PS --> MHDT Labs Paradisea Dac --> Usher 307 Pre --> Jolida 3000 amps w/Response Audio ref. mods --> Raw Acoustics Apex II - Running Springs Haley - Ultrasonic stands

Wombat
2006-12-21, 19:32
Wow! Didn´t heard it but this looks promising :) Are this Ravens or Expolinear?

mantis007
2006-12-21, 20:20
Wow! Didn´t heard it but this looks promising :) Are this Ravens or Expolinear?

Hi, don't know if you were asking this of me but if so, I updated the picture with the equipment list ;)

Tony

Wombat
2006-12-21, 20:28
It reminds me of http://www.responseaudio.com/system_gallery.htm ;)
Your tweeter seems to be an Aurum Cantus i got wrong by just looking. It is no Expolinear but beter ;)
I like Ribbons and Magnetostats a lot and still think they can make a big part of the whole system alone.

Husted
2006-12-22, 01:22
Not the best picture but here's my setup, the SB3 is connected to a pair on Beolap 8000.
Can't get more minimalistic than this :)

aberdeencomponents
2006-12-22, 12:01
Its a good idea

mantis007
2006-12-22, 14:00
hehe - that is my system. That foto was taken almost a year ago ;) The ribbon Rawacoustics.com uses is a RA104.5 that they have custom made for them. Very sweet with excellent dispersion and never shrill or edgy ;)

Tony

It reminds me of http://www.responseaudio.com/system_gallery.htm ;)
Your tweeter seems to be an Aurum Cantus i got wrong by just looking. It is no Expolinear but beter ;)
I like Ribbons and Magnetostats a lot and still think they can make a big part of the whole system alone.

empty99
2006-12-22, 18:52
I built this cabinet 20 yrs ago with adjustable rackmount for center sections and drawers that fit precisely with 3 rows of CDs each and hidden glass door that slide down to cover the components. But with the 2 Nakamichi amps cranking out some serious heat, it hasn't come down in 5 yrs. All components are on full time.
Wiring: RG6/RG59
SB3>optical>MF A3.24/192K DAC>Alps Blackwidow pot>2 Naks PA7>B&W 802 Nautilus

jonheal
2006-12-23, 04:09
I built this cabinet 20 yrs ago with adjustable rackmount for center sections and drawers that fit precisely with 3 rows of CDs each and hidden glass door that slide down to cover the components. But with the 2 Nakamichi amps cranking out some serious heat, it hasn't come down in 5 yrs. All components are on full time.

Forget the stereo! Check out the view!!

Bob Bressler
2006-12-23, 11:51
I built this cabinet 20 yrs ago with adjustable rackmount for center sections and drawers that fit precisely with 3 rows of CDs each and hidden glass door that slide down to cover the components.

Now with the SB, you can do away with the CD drawers.

empty99
2006-12-23, 12:45
Forget the stereo! Check out the view!!
During the last windstorm (70mph!), it picked up the barbecue unit and nearly send it through the window!

empty99
2006-12-23, 12:53
Now with the SB, you can do away with the CD drawers.
The CD collection outgrew the space several times over, the upper drawer only hold some SACDs now, all the rest are in storage. I cannot say enough of the convenience and sound quality afforded by the SB3.

delbz
2006-12-27, 12:54
Here's my Aussie SB3 (controlled with a Harmony 880).

TV - NEC HD Plasma PX-42XR3W, STB - Hotchip ODT-4000HD, PVR - WiFi'd Toppy, Amp - Yamaha RX-V2600B, Speakers - Yamaha NS-300 / NS-C105 , Sub - Jensen DX-260, URC - Harmony 880, Foxtel IQ Sat - IQ, DVR - Panasonic DMR-E85H, Digital Music Player - Squeezebox 3

empty99
2006-12-27, 19:38
Here's my Aussie SB3 (controlled with a Harmony 880).

TV - NEC HD Plasma PX-42XR3W, STB - Hotchip ODT-4000HD, PVR - WiFi'd Toppy, Amp - Yamaha RX-V2600B, Speakers - Yamaha NS-300 / NS-C105 , Sub - Jensen DX-260, URC - Harmony 880, Foxtel IQ Sat - IQ, DVR - Panasonic DMR-E85H, Digital Music Player - Squeezebox 3

But I bet you are watching more than listening ;^)

sc53
2006-12-29, 07:45
Empty--where do you live?? Is that a body of water out the window or just a snowy meadow? Gorgeous!

Jetlag
2006-12-29, 08:41
Empty--where do you live?? Is that a body of water out the window or just a snowy meadow? Gorgeous!

My guess is the Columbia River in Portland OR.

gychang
2006-12-29, 10:41
Thanks! The box used to be a cell phone diversity antenna amplifier housing. I picked it up at a scrap yard for about $15, then did a little finish work and built an amplifier into it.

I'll have to do something about that volume control knob one of these days...

TD

looks great am a newbie. is the volume control not needed? (guess built into SB). Just a proper power amp? (no preamp or volume needed). Simple and high quality.

gychang

empty99
2006-12-29, 16:28

The other fella beats me to the right answer ;^)

topa
2006-12-30, 11:20
Here are my two setups:
SB3 in the living room and Transporter in my listening room.

Slimserver is a Compaq Evo D510 inside the red Cabinet in the living room.
Main listening system consists of SB3 + Derek Shek NOS DAC + Densen DM10 + Linn Kan II

Cheers,
Tobi.
(topa@freenet.de)

Recoveryone
2007-01-03, 13:25
the rack, details below

Ron F.
2007-01-03, 13:40
Oh my God, your wife is going to kill you when she finds out you own all that stuff.

Recoveryone
2007-01-03, 16:50
Oh my God, your wife is going to kill you when she finds out you own all that stuff.

The way I get away with most of the stuff is that I give the older stuff to other family members. My oldest just moved out last month, so I will be giving him the Netgear DAR to use with his laptop and my old Pioneer VSX-26TX I wll pass onto him as soon as I get it repaired. My 15 and 16 year olds have full 5.1 systems in their rooms and I also have a 32"WS LCD in my room with a full 5.1 system. It got so bad at one point I enough gear to put one in the garage. That's when the wife said we needed to have a yard sale.

Recoveryone
2007-01-03, 16:55
Here are my two setups:
SB3 in the living room and Transporter in my listening room.

Slimserver is a Compaq Evo D510 inside the red Cabinet in the living room.
Main listening system consists of SB3 + Derek Shek NOS DAC + Densen DM10 + Linn Kan II

Cheers,
Tobi.
(topa@freenet.de)

very nice photo job, I can tell your no rookie. very good use of the ligthing in the rooom to cut down the use of a flash.

sc53
2007-01-03, 17:17
Tobi, what are the components in your listening room? Both systems and rooms look very well thought out and furnished. Lovely!

topa
2007-01-04, 02:36
Tobi, what are the components in your listening room? Both systems and rooms look very well thought out and furnished. Lovely!

Thanks.
I edited my post yesterday to include more info, but it's confusing as the pic shows the transporter I've sold now, and the description says SB3.... so here it is again:

Living Room:
Red Cabinet stores Compaq Mini Server, Router, WLan Gear and all that. Plus a 2 channel amp which drives hidden speakers behind the radiator. Currently, an SB3 is running without further DAC into this. DAC to come though!

Main-listening Room:
Transporter is sold now (didn't like it) and I'm back to SB3 plus NOS DAC. Amp: Densen DM10, Speakers: Linn Kan II.
The rest is for the TT, a Rega P25 driven with a Heed MotorSupply and a Densen (DP01) Phono Drive.

@RecoveryOne:
Yeah, no flash involved. I'm learning quickly with my new Digicam, a Lumix FX01.

your momo
2007-01-05, 10:45
Here a view of my SB3 (WiFi) and some other material I use:

SB3 lays over Thule IA75B stereo amp all this stays in front under Monitor Audio LCR and between two Monitor Audio S6 speakers.

At the rear, Studer A730 CD player lays on ground on three spikes, this player is connected through balanced lines to Thule amp. HT Yamaha receiver RXV-1400 and Panasonic DVD/HDD recoder DMR-E85H are in the rack. A portable DVD is used as control monitor, to avoid to start the beamer for video file managment tasks.

Not show, four rear speakers all from the Monitor Audio Radius serie 2x R45 and 2x R180. All in white finish ...for WAF ;-)

topa
2007-01-05, 12:06
Nice. Is the center speaker stand custom made? (to accomodate the Thule?)

How long did you wait for the skies to turn red for the photo??? ;-)

your momo
2007-01-05, 14:17
Nice. Is the center speaker stand custom made? (to accomodate the Thule?)
Yes it's half custom, I replace the base plate by a ceramic plate which lays on three hard PVC home made pillars. I also took oportunity to fill the square box with sand, now it's stone stable.

How long did you wait for the skies to turn red for the photo??? ;-)

Normally about 24h ...sorry I'm kidding.
More seriously I took pictures from my SB3 this afternoon, but they was all contre-jour shots due to his placement in front of the bay window. So I wait until sun set to take a more acceptable picture. It's not always so red, but when sun goes down over Jura mountains it light up the sky very nicelly ;-)

Recoveryone
2007-01-05, 14:50
very nice Momo, You must not have any kids to leave the grills off. I pray for that day to come........ for now I have to keep everything covered and in a rack. Gave up my floor standing speakers for Sats due to the kids.

your momo
2007-01-05, 15:09
very nice Momo, You must not have any kids to leave the grills off. I pray for that day to come........ for now I have to keep everything covered and in a rack. Gave up my floor standing speakers for Sats due to the kids.

Yep you are fully right, but when my nephew or niece are at home, the grills also come back ;-)
For serious music listening I d'like to remove the grids, but for HT I prefere having them on the speakers, those are black and cover the silver membranes which disturbe the eyes while watching movies.

Bob Bressler
2007-01-05, 15:12
I've had some unfortunate experiences with kids and exposed tubes. When you don't have kids of your own, you tend not to think about such things.

Recoveryone
2007-01-05, 17:20
Yep you are fully right, but when my nephew or niece are at home, the grills also come back ;-)
For serious music listening I d'like to remove the grids, but for HT I prefere having them on the speakers, those are black and cover the silver membranes which disturbe the eyes while watching movies.

Another quick question, How does the tile floor effect the sound? I had my floors redone (wood in the livingroom and tile in the kitchen) last month except the family room where my system is. I've always heard hard floors can cause havoc in a listening area.

Andyoz
2007-01-05, 17:59
The floor/ceiling reflection pattern is a very important one in determining a room 'acoustic'.

It is too often forgotten and people concentrate only on the lateral reflections off the side walls. Look at the relative areas of your floor/ceiling versus the area of the walls. Another way is to imagine your listening room turned on it's side and the wall/floor becomes the side walls. Good listening rooms generally don't have large parallel room surfaces that are acoustically 'hard' and reflective. Sound Reflections doesn't discriminate between the various room surfaces.

drewe181
2007-01-06, 18:11
Another quick question, How does the tile floor effect the sound? I had my floors redone (wood in the livingroom and tile in the kitchen) last month except the family room where my system is. I've always heard hard floors can cause havoc in a listening area.

have a read here:
http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/setup/RoomAcoustics.html

or to a wider extent, here:
http://www.audioholics.com/cgi-bin/fmsearch/fmsearch2.cgi?keywords=room+acoustics

i've also read about sitting in your main listening position and having a friend move around the room with a mirror. wherever you see a reflection is where sound waves will bounce off.
bookcases filled with different sized books help with absorbtion especially at the rear of the room. most audiofiles prefer BILLY bookcases from IKEA. just keep away from the glass doors option. :)

gusi
2007-01-07, 05:33
I am not much of a wiz with the camera but you get the idea

ModelCitizen
2007-01-07, 06:02
Gusi,
Just out of interest which Naim amp and pre-amp are you running? It looks like it may be a NAC102/NAP180 but it's very hard to tell.
If it is, and you are running your SB3 through a Benchmark Dac1 (again, hard to tell) I'd be very interested in any comparisons you've done between the CDX and the SB3/Benchmrk as I did extensive listening comparisons on my old set up (which, if I am right is exactly the same as yours, although I had Shahinian Arcs instead of the Isobariks.. and the linear psu for the SB3).

I have still not sold my CDX, even now that I've bought a Transporter...

MC

04dgmsilv
2007-01-07, 07:34
Here is my living room SB3 setup, don't have any pics of the transporter system at the moment.

Heres the system:
Bolder Digital only modded SB3 -> Audiosector NOS DAC -> Onix SP3 -> Onix Mini Stratas

The whole setup cost me less than $3k (new/diy) and sounds fantastic! Only thing thats does'nt fly in the living room is any room treatments/panels, etc. But my other room is decently treated.

your momo
2007-01-07, 10:01

I would not say tile floor be the only faulty in the fact my listening room doesn't reach audiophile standard level, it first apply be living room prior be an auditorium ;-) …WAF.

Several tradeoffs have been made; however sound listening experience is really not bad. I agree all my components could sound better in an acoustic treated room.
I made several small changes (position, support, cabling,…) and each time I could perceive the improvement, I think I have now a good 80/20 solution, maybe more.
I let the remaining % of improvement for the day I may build my own house…

Here a full view of the living room:

ModelCitizen
2007-01-07, 10:36
My speakers are at one end of a 8.5m x 4m room. Overall the room is pretty bare (or minimal). There is parque flooring throughout (parque is one inch deep oak tiles laid on a concrete base and stuck down with bitumin). This makes the room very live so the hifi sounds bright, thin (hi end is exaggerated) and in-your-face.
I find it is extremely simple to very obviously affect the sound by laying out a couple of rugs (one in front of the speakers). This dampens and softens the sound making it more rounded, smooth and even and also gives it more depth.
Wierdly, even having a Scalextric setup in front of the speakers makes a difference to the sound.
MC

Andyoz
2007-01-07, 10:59
Your room dim's are similar to mine. I find it too narrow to allow me to place the speakers along the long axis, I would need another 2 feet in room width to do that comfortably. I find that the reflections off the side walls have a big effect on my sound. I have never been able to get the room/system setup the way I want. At the moment I am getting better sound in what was meant to be a temporary listening room upstairs...it's only 13ft x 13ft.

gusi
2007-01-07, 18:40
MC, it is a 52/250. One day I'll figure out these auto focus cameras...

I did do extensive testing of the CDX vs SB3 analog vs SB3dig/BMdac1.

I found the difference between the SB3 analog and the dac1 to be minimal. The BM will be on its way when I locate an alternative. Admittedly I don't use the balanced outputs in a different setup. When I tried the balanced outs the difference was very small.

I found the CDX to have a different presentation more dynamic and lively but it can be a bit harsh and bright on some recordings. The difference became more pronounced when I changed the mains cable to a hydra.

I also still have the cdx though it doesn't get much use. The SB3 is just much more convenient. (Even if I have to boot the PC to use it)

cheers
Gus

ModelCitizen
2007-01-08, 00:18
MC, it is a 52/250. One day I'll figure out these auto focus cameras...
I did do extensive testing of the CDX vs SB3 analog vs SB3dig/BMdac1.
I found the difference between the SB3 analog and the dac1 to be minimal. The BM will be on its way when I locate an alternative. Admittedly I don't use the balanced outputs in a different setup. When I tried the balanced outs the difference was very small.
I found the CDX to have a different presentation more dynamic and lively but it can be a bit harsh and bright on some recordings. The difference became more pronounced when I changed the mains cable to a hydra.
I also still have the cdx though it doesn't get much use. The SB3 is just much more convenient. (Even if I have to boot the PC to use it)
cheers
Gus
Thanks for your reply.
I am totally surprised at how different your experience is to mine... and not a little worried! Adding the DAC1 made a quite obvious difference to the SB3 for me... although I found neither output anywhere as near as attractive or as engaging (deep, full, rounded, weighty etc) as the CDX. Harsh is the last word I'd use to describe the CDX when comparing it to any network player I've tried, with or without a OS DAC.
Wierd. I just cannot fathom why our impressiions should be so different.
MC

gusi
2007-01-08, 02:58
MC the cdx isn't always harsh, just on some recordings it can be harsh or bright compared to the SB3. Overall the cdx does sound better and much more engaging.

Perhaps it is just me. Most people can hear a vast gulf between the SB3 analog out and the DAC1. I'll have to try the balanced output again.

cheers
Gus

snow
2007-01-13, 10:20
Does anyone have this SB3 connected to Harman Kardon system, they both have the same style, would be a nice system together, atleast the look=)

Patrick Dixon
2007-01-13, 10:30
The CDX sounds a bit raw compared to the best CDPs I've heard. I wouldn't really call it harsh, but it's not analogue sounding enough for me.

eraserhead
2007-01-13, 18:49
I've been a slimdevices squeezebox user for the past year - just received my transporter a few weeks ago - couldn't be happier w/ the transporter/whisperHD combo.

transporter ->parasound halo c1 balanced analog bypass -> parasound halo a51 ->Legacy whisper HD

additional pics of gear are online @
http://gear.eraserhead.org

empty99
2007-01-15, 00:08
I've been a slimdevices squeezebox user for the past year - just received my transporter a few weeks ago - couldn't be happier w/ the transporter/whisperHD combo.

transporter ->parasound halo c1 balanced analog bypass -> parasound halo a51 ->Legacy whisper HD

additional pics of gear are online @
http://gear.eraserhead.org

Are you single and live alone? ;^)))

magnanimous
2007-01-15, 03:43
With no neighbours:)

eraserhead
2007-01-15, 06:47
would you believe me if i told you i don't live alone, i have neighbors close by, and the saint that lives with me was supportive of the endeavor from the beginning?

to be fair, she gets into it to some degree (more than i would assume most females do - but she also has the aptitude to comprehend alot of the "theoretical" mish-mash that goes along with operating a decent rig. i made mention yesterday that it may be time to look at a new house so we can rework a room to suit all the crap we've amassed in our current residence. she then replied (as she's a real-estate agent) that she'll start looking for places with subterranean finished rooms, with no windows, close to the breaker box, and "how much better the current gear should sound in a suitable room", etc.

she's a keeper :)

CaptainSpalding
2007-01-15, 09:16
SB3 on top of unused tuner on shelf above unused CD player.

ModelCitizen
2007-01-15, 09:43
she's a keeper :)
Does she have a sister?
MC

TomDac
2007-01-16, 08:16
Newly accquired DBX 4BX Dynamic Range Expander really makes the Squeezebox MP3s sound nice! :-)

magnanimous
2007-01-16, 10:21
Newly accquired DBX 4BX Dynamic Range Expander really makes the Squeezebox MP3s sound nice! :-)

Looks like a lava-lamp to me :-;

jhm731
2007-01-16, 22:45
My SB3's linear psu with the stock psu next to it's 68,000uf cap for scale.

adamslim
2007-01-17, 09:40
My SB3's linear psu with the stock psu next to it's 68,000uf cap for scale.

Wow that cap looks almost bigger than the SB3 - that is pleasingly insane. It makes me happy that there are people like you in the universe :)

Adam

Pblewis
2007-01-21, 13:04
Just started building this dedicated 2 Ch system. Started with my SB3 and Infinity Overture 3's from a Home Theater set up that made a very poor music system.

Then added the Onix SP-3 amp back in November. Just added the Raysonic. Using Signal Cable interconnects and speaker wires.

New Rack is next followed by speakers

sc53
2007-01-21, 14:17
The first one sounded so good I added one to my big rig on the ground floor. Sounds amazing and the network has better reception down here too, even though the living room with SB #1 is closer to the router.

Simon
2007-01-25, 02:58
Here's my setup...

Skunk
2007-01-25, 11:09
Sb3|Zhaolu 1.3|Super-T|FE206e

P Floding
2007-01-25, 11:20
Sb3|Zhaolu 1.3|Super-T|FE206e

Very nice!
I had no idea that you were a full-range kind of guy!

Skunk
2007-01-25, 11:27
Very nice!
I had no idea that you were a full-range kind of guy!

Well I have yet to hear anything that does phase so well as a speaker with no crossover, except of course the television :-)

I've been meaning to put them in a martin king transmission line speaker and do the baffle step correction in inguz eq, if possible.

Can't say enough about the 206e, which is obviously not everyones cup of tea, but you do need a subwoofer

adamslim
2007-01-25, 13:08
Well here's my system. Top-to-bottom it's SB3, Shanling CDT100, Shek d2 DAC, EAR 859, Rotel RT-990, with a bit of the mains conditioner and right speaker in view. And too many cables in view, I think, although (bizarrely) the wife doesn't seem to mind too much about that :)

Adam

ModelCitizen
2007-01-25, 13:35
Well here's my system. Top-to-bottom it's SB3, Shanling CDT100, Shek d2 DAC, EAR 859, Rotel RT-990, with a bit of the mains conditioner and right speaker in view. And too many cables in view, I think, although (bizarrely) the wife doesn't seem to mind too much about that :)
Adam
Judging by the photo, speaker placement is not something you take too seriously then?
MC

P Floding
2007-01-25, 14:09
Well I have yet to hear anything that does phase so well as a speaker with no crossover, except of course the television :-)

I've been meaning to put them in a martin king transmission line speaker and do the baffle step correction in inguz eq, if possible.

Can't say enough about the 206e, which is obviously not everyones cup of tea, but you do need a subwoofer

Is there a joke in there somewhere about the TV which I failed to get, or did you mean it literally?

I have yet to play with full range drivers. Closest so far is planars (but hybrid: ML Aerius and SL3).

Skunk
2007-01-25, 14:20
Is there a joke in there somewhere about the TV which I failed to get, or did you mean it literally?

I have yet to play with full range drivers. Closest so far is planars (but hybrid: ML Aerius and SL3).

TV's have full range drivers, and sometimes you'll notice they demonstrate great phase tricks. E.g. Background noise out of phase, announcers voice in phase. Sometimes the bg noise seems to come from another room! Pianos have an uncanny way of sounding good on some TVs as well.

Cheers and happy 420.

adamslim
2007-01-25, 15:45
Judging by the photo, speaker placement is not something you take too seriously then?
MC

Parallax error? They're about 2 feet away from the CDs. The bass is fairly even and the soundstage well-focused. Sadly (from an acoustic perspective), my listening room is my living room - the joys of London living!

Adam

Skunk
2007-01-26, 09:25
SS on win2K|M-Audio Mobilepre|Behringer ecm8k|Hitachi Eplate

tomjtx
2007-01-26, 10:02
Skunk,

Swivel chairs?????????????

You should motorize them , get a patent, and sell them as "infinitely adjustable soundstage speaker stands" Called IASSP
I do want a commission for the idea however. :-)

I'd bet money that as soon your IASSPs hit the market, the modders will start offering gold bybee upgrades for the chair motors that are "gauranteed" to improve the soundstage even more.

BTW, cool Hitachi.

Tom

Skunk
2007-01-26, 10:08
You should motorize them , get a patent, and sell them as "infinitely adjustable soundstage speaker stands" Called IASSP
I do want a commission for the idea however. :-)

LOL, I thought of that. My idea was to have a custom remote that they could just automatically aim themselves at (plus 7degree toe in). Ideally the remote would have frequency response mics as well to adjust the subwoofer :-)

I like pulling them out 5' from the wall after midnight, which makes it like having really really good headphones; The wheels/swivels make doing so a lot easier.

Silber
2007-01-26, 12:44
My full digital setup:

SB3 with Bolder digital mod, Welborne Labs PS, Tact 2.2x, 2 Tact 2150 digital amps with digital crossover, Manger speakers, Subwoofer Revel B15.

On the second photo you can see the frequenze response with the digital crossover filters in the Tact 2150 at listening position (without the Tact RCS 2,2 x correction and without Revel sub)

P Floding
2007-01-26, 14:48
My full digital setup:

SB3 with Bolder digital mod, Welborne Labs PS, Tact 2.2x, 2 Tact 2150 digital amps with digital crossover, Manger speakers, Subwoofer Revel B15.

On the second photo you can see the frequenze response with the digital crossover filters in the Tact 2150 at listening position (without the Tact RCS 2,2 x correction and without Revel sub)

Mangers! Very interesting.. How would you characterise their sound compared to other speakers? BTW, what's that flap in front of the Manger doing?
Rgds

Silber
2007-01-27, 03:17
Mangers! Very interesting.. How would you characterise their sound compared to other speakers? BTW, what's that flap in front of the Manger doing?
Rgds

The sound of the manger is:
very fast and transparent with high resolution and very much details - but without any harshness in mids and highs. I think the best ist the great realistic soundstage - comes from the pointsource and the great time behavior.
But it has some problems in the frequenze behavior between 600 and 2000 Hz. So I think, you like it or like it not (nothing between).

But with Tact digital correction it is outstanding, even stunning. Their coherence is total. It is the sound I've looked for more than 20 years.

The flap in front is called Manger Holoprofil. It gives a little better soundstage

P Floding
2007-01-27, 04:10
The sound of the manger is:
very fast and transparent with high resolution and very much details - but without any harshness in mids and highs. I think the best ist the great realistic soundstage - comes from the pointsource and the great time behavior.
But it has some problems in the frequenze behavior between 600 and 2000 Hz. So I think, you like it or like it not (nothing between).

But with Tact digital correction it is outstanding, even stunning. Their coherence is total. It is the sound I've looked for more than 20 years.

The flap in front is called Manger Holoprofil. It gives a little better soundstage

Thanks for the info!
Can the Mangers play loud without compression? I.e at live levels (@ approx room size)? How about playing high intensity electrified music?
Rgds

Silber
2007-01-27, 04:33
Thanks for the info!
Can the Mangers play loud without compression? I.e at live levels (@ approx room size)? How about playing high intensity electrified music?
Rgds

The Manger can play loud enough.
Sensitivity 1W/1m 91 db, max. SPL long/short term 110/116 db.
You can find all about the Manger here: http://www.manger-msw.de/en/inhalt.html
I think a good speaker should play all kind of musik! IMO electrified music isn't very critical for tonality but much more in the dynamic range. Here the Manger without digital correction seems good. In Germany you can hear all Manger peakers in your own home for one week for 50 EUR = 65 Dollar.

P Floding
2007-01-27, 11:53
The Manger can play loud enough.
Sensitivity 1W/1m 91 db, max. SPL long/short term 110/116 db.
You can find all about the Manger here: http://www.manger-msw.de/en/inhalt.html
I think a good speaker should play all kind of musik! IMO electrified music isn't very critical for tonality but much more in the dynamic range. Here the Manger without digital correction seems good. In Germany you can hear all Manger peakers in your own home for one week for 50 EUR = 65 Dollar.

Unfortunately I'm not in Germany! ;-)
Anyway, I'm just curious, as my budget doesn't include speaker experiments at the moment. (And I'm pretty happy with my NS-2000's.)
I'm really curious about the Manger technology, though. Read a bit about it before.
Rgds

Mactastic
2007-01-28, 07:25
This is my current setup......
B&W 801 Series 80 (classics)
Musical Fidelity X-150

snow1
2007-01-28, 07:43
OK, here is mine :-)

Skunk
2007-01-28, 13:16
This is my current setup......
B&W 801 Series 80 (classics)
Musical Fidelity X-150

I'm surprised 'your little setup' has failed to elicit comment from the fora yet. You have photography skills, to say the least.....

RalphO
2007-01-28, 15:12
OK, here is mine :-)

Snow

What is your turntable. It looks like my Thorens TD321. It is good to know others have an active turntable in their system.

snow1
2007-01-28, 15:59
Snow

What is your turntable. It looks like my Thorens TD321. It is good to know others have an active turntable in their system.

Hi Ralph,
It's a TD320 MK III. I prefer CDs today, but I have a big armoire full of old vinyl records from my younger days. (and I love them!)

Stefan

ModelCitizen
2007-01-28, 16:06
I'm surprised 'your little setup' has failed to elicit comment from the fora yet. You have photography skills, to say the least.....
Speakers pointing outwards, blurred faced female and a horrible smelly foot thing.... what do you expect? :-)
Looks like some waster student artist pad.

It's more interesting that Snow1 has no speakers.

MC

snow1
2007-01-28, 16:21
Hi Modelcitizen,

It's more interesting that Snow1 has no speakers.

MC

The STAX Set would outperform many speakers out there...
But of course I do have speakers:

empty99
2007-01-29, 13:45

The man has his priority straight!

Mactastic
2007-01-29, 14:29
The man has his priority straight!

Thanks. I dont have to worry about WAF as the "blurred faced female" appreciates a good sound and will not accept less. That said the 801's do take up most of my grubby student hovel!

sonofcolin
2007-01-29, 19:03
Thanks. I dont have to worry about WAF as the "blurred faced female" appreciates a good sound and will not accept less. That said the 801's do take up most of my grubby student hovel!

It looks like a UK student hovel. Reminds me of home. Sniff.

Skunk
2007-01-30, 14:25
Unfortunately I'm not in Germany! ;-)
Anyway, I'm just curious, as my budget doesn't include speaker experiments at the moment. (And I'm pretty happy with my NS-2000's.)
I'm really curious about the Manger technology, though. Read a bit about it before.
Rgds

Those Manger's do have interesting drivers, the impulse response was particularly impressive: http://www.manger-msw.com/en/produkte/index.html

I saw this today and thought it was relevant to our point-source discussion (not that you didn't understand already): http://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/107fuj/index.html

Tom, they're closing in on our idea...

P Floding
2007-01-30, 15:40
Those Manger's do have interesting drivers, the impulse response was particularly impressive: http://www.manger-msw.com/en/produkte/index.html

I saw this today and thought it was relevant to our point-source discussion (not that you didn't understand already): http://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/107fuj/index.html

Tom, they're closing in on our idea...

Yes, that's an interesting speaker!
I heard that one (or a forerunner) some 5 years ago, or so. Before it was called Fujitsu. I just heard it very briefely, but it created a very convincing image (together with a slight sensation of having lost a bit of high frequency hearing).

gthal
2007-02-03, 06:42
Energy C-500 fronts, C-C100 center and my beloved Squeezebox.

CFP
2007-02-10, 09:04

That's a sweet rug. Mind sharing where you acquired it?

mudlark
2007-02-10, 10:41
Here's my kit.

The SB sits atop a TEAC dab and a Cyrus PSX-R.

The SB has a HUGE and fantastic linear 3A power supply, this goes to a Cyrus DAC-X with PSX-R, to a Cyrus PreXvs with PSX-R.

The power amp is an Avondale 260A. The speakers are KEF iQ7s.

The cd player is an Arcam 93, Pioneer PDR509 and Yam tape deck.

The record player is a Rega 3 with Origin Live PSU and modified RB250 and Graham Slee Gram 2SE phono amplifier.

empty99
2007-02-10, 16:41
That's a sweet rug. Mind sharing where you acquired it?
$100.00 Faux polar bear fur

shabbs
2007-02-11, 14:46
I'm far from an audiophile, but I thought I'd share my humble home setup with you guys. My SB3 is on the left (analog out, 2-ch). Arrival of a new baby has re-prioritized everything, as you can tell. ;) Still to do: clean up those damn wires!

Cheers.

yooper
2007-02-11, 18:48
Transporter on top left side shelf.

Mark

P Floding
2007-02-12, 01:55
Transporter on top left side shelf.

Mark

Hi!
Are those treatment panels home-grown, or can they be purchased somewhere? I have homegrown ones, but they are not very good looking (unlike yours).

khedspeth
2007-02-12, 07:51
I just purchases panels from here...

http://www.atsacoustics.com/

and I am very pleased with the look and quality of the product.

yooper
2007-02-12, 09:53
Hi!
Are those treatment panels home-grown, or can they be purchased somewhere? I have homegrown ones, but they are not very good looking (unlike yours).

I bought the panels from Glenn at GIK Acoustics- gikacoustics.com

I bought four 244 panels (for corners, 6 in thick)and a set of three 242's (first reflection points). Very good customer service and prices. I sent them a few pics, and within a couple hours, had all the details worked out. I think I paid around $460-480 shipped for all seven panels.

Very, very nice improvement. I never spent so little and gained so much.

Mark

P Floding
2007-02-12, 15:17
yooper & khedspeth,

Thanks for your replies!
Annoyingly for me I live in the UK.. ;-)
I will have to try and find something here.

mikeruss
2007-02-18, 07:57
I took the brave decision to ditch the cd player!

Running Slimserver on FC6 on a shuttle under the sofa > SB3 > Shek d1 > Roksan Kandy MKIII > Dynaudio 52's. Just got another 150ish cd's to convert to FLAC - Yaaaawwnnnn

Jetlag
2007-02-18, 09:51
Thanks for wearing pants in your photo. ;)

mikeruss
2007-02-18, 11:09
Thanks for wearing pants in your photo. ;)

LOL that was lucky - I only got changed 5 mins before the piccy!!

AnotherTribe
2007-02-18, 11:11
SB3 > Lite DAC60 (Sonic Craft Mods) > Onix SP3 > Onix Ref 1's

adamslim
2007-02-18, 11:54
SB3 > Lite DAC60 (Sonic Craft Mods) > Onix SP3 > Onix Ref 1's

Looks like someone's decided on the SB3 vibration issue ;)

AnotherTribe
2007-02-18, 12:33
Looks like someone's decided on the SB3 vibration issue ;)

Most certainly, I am taking all and every precaution in my quest for audio nirvana. The custom made SB3 anti-vibration platform is constructed from a single slab of 10,000 year old Kauri wood from the ancient West Coast forests of New Zealand. This slab in suspended by five adjustable neodymium magnetic feet that float the platform eliminating any vibration.

In actuality my OCD prevents me from stacking components, I was out of rack space and a $7 cutting board from Target and 4 speaker stand feet I had laying around looked better than the SB3 directly on the floor :-)

notanatheist
2007-02-18, 19:20
Most certainly, I am taking all and every precaution in my quest for audio nirvana. The custom made SB3 anti-vibration platform is constructed from a single slab of 10,000 year old Kauri wood from the ancient West Coast forests of New Zealand. This slab in suspended by five adjustable neodymium magnetic feet that float the platform eliminating any vibration.

In actuality my OCD prevents me from stacking components, I was out of rack space and a $7 cutting board from Target and 4 speaker stand feet I had laying around looked better than the SB3 directly on the floor :-)

Personally I almost believed the first half of your statement and immediately thought about the magnetic levitation kits and now I wonder if they could potentially lift a $7 cutting board. I just know floating components would gather awe. Would there be any issues with a magnetic field and cabling though? Hmm...

Skunk
2007-02-19, 00:02
Personally I almost believed the first half of your statement and immediately thought about the magnetic levitation kits and now I wonder if they could potentially lift a $7 cutting board. I just know floating components would gather awe. Would there be any issues with a magnetic field and cabling though? Hmm...

He had me as well, until I spotted speaker cables without esoteric sticks or pucks to keep them off the carpet. Dry humour is really gaining popularity :)

IIRC you can't levitate objects that aren't moving (unlike trains/spinning tops), so it would need a rail support to keep from flying off to the side.

Jetlag
2007-02-19, 07:58
Instead of levitating my system I am taking the other approach; I am going to levitate my girlfriend and I. LINK (http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/magnetic-floating-bed-oh-your-god-184990.php)

pablolie
2007-02-19, 09:47
> ... I am going to levitate my girlfriend and I.

I wonder what the Feng Shui manual says about such a magnetic field in one's sleeping quarters. And one better not have any plates left over from surgery... :-)

shabbs
2007-02-19, 09:52
And one better not have any plates left over from surgery... :-)
Or a pacemaker...

Mark Lanctot
2007-02-19, 19:32
Would there be any issues with a magnetic field and cabling though? Hmm...

From a classical physics standpoint, no. You need a changing magnetic field to create an electromagnetic effect.

From an audiophile physics standpoint, who knows...if vibration affects cables then magnetic fields might as well.

beernutz
2007-02-20, 00:55
SB3 -> Orion EQ/XO -> 2x Adcom 2535 amplifiers -> Linkwitz Orions

RBMitch
2007-02-21, 11:23
SB2 w/Bolder mods-Welborne Labs power supply-Antique Sound Labs Orchid 2A3 amp-Well Tempered Classic TT-Hagerman Cornet phono stage-Omega Hemptone single driver speakers

Kyle
2007-02-21, 11:40
What are the three vertical things? (Beautiful speakers, BTW.)

USAudio
2007-02-21, 12:02
beernutz, please give us your impressions of the Linkwitz Orion?

ipy
2007-02-21, 12:16

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/roomlens/roomlens.html

RBMitch
2007-02-21, 12:43

They are copies of the Argent Room Lens'. They are quite effective at focusing the soundstage.

beernutz
2007-02-23, 22:09
beernutz, please give us your impressions of the Linkwitz Orion?

First off, I am NOT an audiophile. I did however audition a number of audiophile speakers, including Vandersteen 3a, Revel Performa F52, Paradigm Signature S8, Focal.JMLabs Utopia and a few others before deciding to build the Orions.

In short they are terrific and in my non-expert opinion the Orions sound better than anything I auditioned. They sound particularly good on good quality recordings where they just disappear, leaving only the music. The bass is notably exceptional; it is very clean without any muddiness at all. They throw a very nice soundstage and on good recordings are transparent--you can close your eyes and not tell that there are speakers in the room.

However I am probably not getting all there is out of them because I'm using used twin Adcom 2535 amps I bought on ebay for a little over $200 each (they used to retail for about $650 each, which is peanuts in the world of high-end amps). One reason I went with the Orions was that they were reputed to sound very very nice without having to resort to expensive amplification. I may one day upgrade to the amp Mr. Linkwitz recommends, the ATI 6012, which retails for around $1700 but that will probably be it for me in terms of amp upgrades.

I have also not modded my SB3, I am not using an external DAC, and I haven't even completed the replacement of my SB3 wallwart with a linear power supply I'm in the process of modding.

I have also not implemented the latest Linkwitz Orion upgrade to the Orion+ by adding rear firing Millenium tweeters, nor have I upgraded the opamps in my Orion EQ/XO with higher quality ones as many of my fellow Orion owners have done. I just built my Orions in January and I'm not ready at the moment to sink another $400-$500 bucks into making mine into Orion+s but I'm sure I will eventually.

One other thing I've also noticed, which I hope isn't just my imagination, is that I think that the sound from my Squeezebox is improving. I have also only had my SB3 running since January and I am wondering if Squeezeboxes have a break-in period?

In short, I still have a lot of room for improvement in the sound I am getting, which to me is REALLY scary because the Orions sound so so so good now. If they got much better sounding I would probably never leave the house.

joatca
2007-02-24, 10:01
Disclaimer: I'm not an audiophile, plus I'm Scottish and therefore cheap.

I have two SBs, an SB2 in the living room and this SB3 in the bedroom, hooked up to a venerable old (and rather beat-up) NAD 3020 that I picked up on eBay. It came with the original pre-amp-out-to-normal-in jumper cables missing and replaced with a regular 6-foot RCA cable. I had a local store make me a pair of three-inch jumpers from Monster cable. Anyone know how much a 3020 cost brand-new?

The NAD drives a pair of Mission 762i speakers, also from eBay. Total cost, with shipping, $120 for the amp and $160 for the speakers (not counting the stands, of course). It sounds better than anything I've ever owned, even when playing MP3.

At one point I had a bunch of video stuff in this room too (there's a TV on the wall above it), and swapped out the NAD for a huge Yamaha RX-V800 that I picked up for $500 just to get remote volume control and video switching, and connected the SB by optical. Our main living room amp just died so I'm pulling the Yamaha out to replace it, and the old NAD is back in the bedroom. (One reason why it looks so tidy... I took a picture as soon as I finished putting it together.)

You know what? The $100 NAD connected RCA sounds better than the $500 (list $900) Yamaha does by optical. I'm sure that none of you are surprised.

The little wireless headphones are connected directly to the SB and are another eBay special, $20. Useless for music, but fine for listening to the BBC World Service when my wife is asleep.

Like I said, I'm cheap, but suggestions to improve the sound welcomed. Cheap ones, that is... :-)

325xi
2007-02-24, 22:04
From a classical physics standpoint, no. You need a changing magnetic field to create an electromagnetic effect.

You inevitably have some inductance around the cable. Are you positive that added constant magnetic field can't affect the whole picture somehow? I learned this stuff way back then, but remember nothing from that...

Mark Lanctot
2007-02-25, 10:23
You inevitably have some inductance around the cable.

Inductance is caused by a changing magnetic field ("flux"). Which is why a transformer will only work on AC - the changing electric voltage causes a changing magnetic field which induces another changing electric voltage in the second wire loop.

Are you positive that added constant magnetic field can't affect the whole picture somehow? I learned this stuff way back then, but remember nothing from that...

I recall a pretty simple experiment in first-year physics. The prof had what I believe was a solenoid hooked up to a voltmeter. Obviously the voltmeter was at 0. When he moved the tubular magnet sitting inside the coil, the voltmeter jumped - as soon as he stopped moving the magnet though, the voltmeter immediately went back to 0.

killie99
2007-02-26, 06:28

I have two SBs, an SB2 in the living room and this SB3 in the bedroom, hooked up to a venerable old (and rather beat-up) NAD 3020 that I picked up on eBay. It came with the original pre-amp-out-to-normal-in jumper cables missing and replaced with a regular 6-foot RCA cable. I had a local store make me a pair of three-inch jumpers from Monster cable. Anyone know how much a 3020 cost brand-new?

The NAD drives a pair of Mission 762i speakers, also from eBay. Total cost, with shipping, $120 for the amp and $160 for the speakers (not counting the stands, of course). It sounds better than anything I've ever owned, even when playing MP3.

At one point I had a bunch of video stuff in this room too (there's a TV on the wall above it), and swapped out the NAD for a huge Yamaha RX-V800 that I picked up for $500 just to get remote volume control and video switching, and connected the SB by optical. Our main living room amp just died so I'm pulling the Yamaha out to replace it, and the old NAD is back in the bedroom. (One reason why it looks so tidy... I took a picture as soon as I finished putting it together.)

You know what? The $100 NAD connected RCA sounds better than the $500 (list $900) Yamaha does by optical. I'm sure that none of you are surprised.

The little wireless headphones are connected directly to the SB and are another eBay special, $20. Useless for music, but fine for listening to the BBC World Service when my wife is asleep.

Like I said, I'm cheap, but suggestions to improve the sound welcomed. Cheap ones, that is... :-)

I seem to remember the Rev B of the 3020 was the best one they produced and it was a great little amp - pity it was rather prone to clipping and fried my tweeters. Wasn't impressed by that as being another cheap Scot it meant I had to but new speakers and a new amp!

t081
2007-03-02, 04:25
A picture of my recently finished setup:

Stock SB3
Dual mono DIY LM3886 gainclones (hidden in the speakers)
DIY speakers (Seas NOFERRO 800 TV, Seas CA12RCY)

The audiophile qualities of this setup are amazing: Sounds best with "The Whitest Boy Alive", "The White Stripes", The Beatles "White Album" or - for very special moments - pure white noise. Nevertheless, more colourful tunes benefit from the well-defined contrast to the surrounding.

_tobi

jonheal
2007-03-02, 05:44

I bought a 3020 when they first came out ages ago, but I'll be darned if I can remember how much I paid for it! It must have been in the $500 range ... I couldn't have afforded much more than that. Retaining a fourth of its value after 25 years ain't too bad. I have three year-old computers that are worth less.

Braidy
2007-03-02, 06:26

Stock SB3

The audiophile qualities of this setup are amazing: Sounds best with "The Whitest Boy Alive", "The White Stripes", The Beatles "White Album" or - for very special moments - pure white noise. Nevertheless, more colourful tunes benefit from the well-defined contrast to the surrounding.

_tobi

Very, very cool. Like something out of one of those middle class porn (aka style) magazines.

pablolie
2007-03-02, 06:33

Stock SB3
_tobi

Beautiful setup - minimalist and purposeful and therefore very pure both in looks and (I am sure) function. I shall post a similar image within the next year, for now I still have many legacy components hooked in.

joatca
2007-03-02, 11:35
I bought a 3020 when they first came out ages ago, but I'll be darned if I can remember how much I paid for it! It must have been in the $500 range ... I couldn't have afforded much more than that. Retaining a fourth of its value after 25 years ain't too bad. I have three year-old computers that are worth less.

It's closer to 30 years, I think. IIRC, the sticker on the base says "1979". In today's world of disposable computing, I find the idea of running a 30-year old piece of equipment very appealing. It might not be great by today's budget amp standards, but it should still kick the ass of anything available from Best Buy. :-)

So here's a question: if I wanted to buy something today that would perform sufficiently better to be worth the upgrade (for whatever definition of "better" you like) what sort of cost are we talking? Is a modern $500 amp significantly better than the 3020? Or is my sound quality limited more by my 762i speakers?

nicketynick
2007-03-02, 14:33

Stock SB3

_tobi

If only something could be done with all those wires trailing about...... I suppose you could put an SB3 on each speaker and sychronize them (I wonder if they synch up accurately enough for this???) - then all you would need is the power supply, which could probably be fairly easily placed unobtrusively in the baseboard (until you decide to place the speakers elsewhere :-p).
Wires are my pet peeve - when is somebody going to invent the Wile E. Coyote metal disk that you can stick on any surface at whim, and voila, power supply!

ModelCitizen
2007-03-02, 15:02
If only something could be done with all those wires trailing about
If it was my house and I cared that much about how the room looked I'd drill some holes in the floorboards behind the speakers and pass the wires under the floors. Would be quite quick. If you used a hollow drill bit you could keep the resultant disks and stick them back in the holes when you moved the speakers. A bit of glue, filler and white paint and the floor would be as good as new.

I'm very impressed that anyone can get a hifi sounding good in a room as totally reflective as that one appears to be.

MC

Phil Leigh
2007-03-02, 15:05
If it was my house and I cared that much about how the room looked I'd drill some holes in the floorboards behind the speakers and pass the wires under the floors. Would be quite quick. If you used a hollow drill bit you could keep the resultant disks and stick them back in the holes when you moved the speakers. A bit of glue, filler and white paint and the floor would be as good as new.

I'm very impressed that anyone can get a hifi sounding good in a room as totally reflective as that one appears to be.

MC
If I was interested in selling DRC, I'd be in there... O:)

nicketynick
2007-03-02, 16:27

MC

A good idea, but.... Is it your impression those floors are painted white? It's hard to tell for sure from the photo, but I'd wager those floors are 150 year old fir planks. I know I would have reservations about drilling holes in them..... otherwise I agree completely!

t081
2007-03-02, 18:29

Though far from perfect, it's actually not that bad. Just outside the pictures frame there's a sofa at the right wall, a large bookshelf on the left wall and a curtain in front of the window. In the short run, there will also be a thick, softish area rug on the floor (I didn't tell her this rug is hifi equipment actually). There's another door opening on the opposite side, I believe a couple of sound waves disappear somewhere else in my appartment, at least I'm not experiencing any flutter echoes.

If only something could be done with all those wires trailing about......

Granted, those wires aren't laid out very beautiful for now. I'll add some proper cables of the right length soon and spend some thoughts on how to drape or obscure them.

I suppose you could put an SB3 on each speaker and sychronize them (I wonder if they synch up accurately enough for this???)

I prefer simple things, so I'll stick to the cables. And if I had a 2nd SB, I'd use it in the kitchen.

A good idea, but.... Is it your impression those floors are painted white? It's hard to tell for sure from the photo, but I'd wager those floors are 150 year old fir planks. I know I would have reservations about drilling holes in them..... otherwise I agree completely!

You're right, these floors are from 102 year old fir planks, brightened with base and some pigmented oil. And it's not my house - no way drilling holes in the floor.

Beautiful setup - minimalist and purposeful and therefore very pure both in looks and (I am sure) function.

Thanks.

Funtion in terms of ease of use is great. Since the wattage of the idling amps is just like 2 watts I don't mind leaving them powered up all the time. The amps are attenuated with a fixed voltage divider, so that I can use the SB volume control in the range from 50 to 75 for my usual listening levels retaining a good SNR.

I'm also happy with its function in terms of sound reproduction, building these speakers was a giant leap ahead compared to my previous 70's Pioneer receiver/DUAL shelf speaker setup. They sound larger than they look, very fast and clear in the highs, though not cold or tedious. Anyway I'm not considering myself an audiophile... For sure there are some possibilties for improvements. Linear PSU, rug (see above), active crossover with a 2nd pair of amps (would fit in the base compartement of the speakers, too), shielded power cables, external dac...

Very, very cool. Like something out of one of those middle class porn (aka style) magazines.

I'm glad you like it. Just for the records: the furniture isn't expensive designer bullshit like it's depicted in glossy magazines. It's either my own work, from garage sales or IK*A. And it looks like that simply because I feel comfy in a bright and uncluttered surrounding.

chevvies
2007-03-04, 15:44
I wanted originally to put it on top of the Meridian cd, I allowed a gap when I made the TNT Flexy table but it wasn't quite big enough so the poor thing is resting on the base of a stand to the right:

Amauta
2007-03-05, 11:04
the poor thing is resting on the base of a stand to the right:

I needed to look 3 times before I could find it, the poor thing :(

buddhabreath
2007-03-09, 21:15
Here's my beloved system. I shall not claim it's audiophile, but it sounds and looks mighty fine to me considering the room and what I could reasonably afford:

B&W Matrix 802 mains & center, B&W CDM 1NT Surrounds all on Sound Anchor stands, Velodyne SPL-1000R Powered subwoofer, Carver TFM 35, Dennon AV Receiver, Sony DVP-NS999ES, Mitshubishi 65" DLP display on Salamander SYNERGY Triple stand, Pro-Ject Turntable Xpression Mk II fitted with Denon DL-160 Cartridge sitting on custom marble slab/spiked stand, Dish whatever DVR, low-end Nakamichi tape deck, Liteon VHS/DVD-RW mod for all format/all region play; mostly Blue Jeans cabling, Monster power supply. -and- squeezebox via digital coax to AV receiver. The SB sits seperate from the main system tucked in to recessed bookshelf. All the speakers as well as the Carver amp were obtained via eBay. Most of the time, I listen to the SB mostly playing FLACs ripped from my CD collection.

barty
2007-03-09, 23:27
Here's a shot of my rig now that I've added the Transporter.

A 20" Intel iMac dual 2 GHz with 2 Gb memory. External Western Digital My Book Pro (500 Gb) with my library in lossless. The new Airport Extreme feeding the iMac and the Transporter through the ether using Cable modem. All in the next room over or upstairs.

Analog outs on the Transporter feed my integrated amp (The very nice VAC Avatar Super)

I still use my TRL (Tube Research Labs) modified Sony 2000ES for some music since it does pull out a few more details when compared to the stock Transporter. Most of the tunes are done on the Transporter now.

Except. Except vinyl. Vinyl still rules and mine goes from the black circle to an Ortofon MC25FL cart, using a Rega Planar 3 then into a VAC step up before going into the all-triode tube section of the VAC.

The tunes come in via ZCable Live v3 and Kimber Hero while the tunes come out the back via Audience AU24s to the first generation of the Silverline Sonatinas. I also run these full range but send the signal over to a Rava sub which really fills out the bottom nicely.

Power comes in via dedicated 20 amp circuit and an Elrod EPS3 sig goes into a Sound Applications Reference Line Stage to clean up and protect.

The stands are Apollo Aria.

This system achieves significant transparency to go with a dynamic sound. Very natural.

Shuggie
2007-03-10, 09:42
Here I have a Lyngdorf TDA2200 amp, Lyngdorf CD-1 CD player, Nottingham Analogue Spacedeck/Spacearm/Kontrapunkt B with NA Heavy kit, supported on Stillpoints. At the bottom of the rack is a Martin Bastin Wave mechanic PSU for the Spacedeck, and Trichord Dino+ phono amp and PSU. Speakers are Focal Dalines. The SB3 is connected to the amp using a 75ohm DH Labs digital cable, and powered by a Paul Hynes Design linear regulated PSU. The CD-1 is connected to the amp using a Vertex Solfonn balanced digital interconnect. Speaker cables are DH Labs T14. The SB3 will be moved onto a small wall shelf in due course.

fuzzyme
2007-03-13, 17:23
Here is my setup with Marantz Receiver and Power Amp.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/174/420510467_002c87539a_b.jpg

tyler_durden
2007-03-13, 20:45
Are those brilliant pebbles in that champagne flute on the speaker? Do they make the system sound better?

TD

fuzzyme
2007-03-14, 07:25
Are those brilliant pebbles in that champagne flute on the speaker? Do they make the system sound better?

TD

Lol. No, thats just my girlfriend's handy work.

tyler_durden
2007-03-14, 07:43
Wouldn't it be awesome of you came home one day and found a dual 15" subwoofer connected to the system complete with active crossover and 1kW amp, and your girlfriend said she made it for you as a surprise?

Alternate ending 1 - camera shows glass of marbles on the speaker, female voice says "Sweetie, I filled a glass with marbles and put it on the speaker. Doesn't it make your stereo look nice?" Pan to guy's face: "Gee, thanks, honey, that was sweet. It sure does. You didn't have to do that."

Alternate ending 2 - "Sweetie, I noticed your system was a little deficient in the lowest octaves so I built you a subwoofer with supporting electronics..." Pan to guy's face - jaw hanging down to the floor, drool dripping from his chin, then "Would you marry me?"

Women just don't get it.

TD

Skunk
2007-03-14, 07:44
Lol. No, thats just my girlfriend's handy work.

Shuggie has something curious on his speaker as well. My first thought was tweak, but now I'm thinking record clamp...

tyler_durden
2007-03-14, 10:34
Shuggie has something curious on his speaker as well. My first thought was tweak, but now I'm thinking record clamp...

Hard to tell from the photo, but I'm guessing Mpingo disk!

TD

Shuggie
2007-03-14, 23:27
Hard to tell from the photo, but I'm guessing Mpingo disk!

TD

Correct! I don't know how or why they work, but they do. That's as far as I will discuss the Mpingo discs, as I get tired of ranting objectivists!

sonofcolin
2007-03-20, 14:40
Bolder digi mod SB3, Bel Canto DAC3, Bel Canto Ref1000's, Dynaudio Contour 3.0 Also Powerbook, itunes --> USB.

325xi
2007-03-20, 15:15
Bolder digi mod SB3, Bel Canto DAC3, Bel Canto Ref1000's, Dynaudio Contour 3.0 Also Powerbook, itunes --> USB.

What are those stands under SB and laptop. Looks terrific to me...

Jetlag
2007-03-20, 15:50
What are those stands under SB and laptop. Looks terrific to me...
I was about to ask the very same question.