PDA

View Full Version : SB1 & SB3 out of sync with FLAC tracks

mecouc
2006-01-07, 11:32
I've got an SB1 and an SB3. They play in sync perfectly well with MP3 files. When a FLAC file creeps into the playlist, they're about half a second apart, leading to an odd sound in a room where I can hear both. Oddly, some tracks are improved markedly with this technique, with interesting synchopation and harmonic effects appearing. I'm not sure which player's behind.

Obviously I can work around it by not playing FLACs but I'd prefer to just leave them playing entirely randomly.

autopilot
2006-01-07, 17:43
Is FLAC natively decoded on the SB1? It is on the SB3. I would suspect this is cause.

Ben Sandee
2006-01-07, 18:03
On 1/7/06, dangerous_dom <dangerous_dom.21ajdb (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> Is FLAC natively decoded on the SB1? It is on the SB3. I would suspect
> this is cause.

Actually, I believe when sync'ing it reverts to lowest-common-denominator so
it would be transcoded to WAV or MP3 depending on server settings. Could be
wrong though.

Ben

kdf
2006-01-07, 18:04
On 7-Jan-06, at 4:43 PM, dangerous_dom wrote:

>
> Is FLAC natively decoded on the SB1? It is on the SB3. I would suspect
> this is cause.
>
Flac is not native on SB1, but if you have SB2/3 synced in a group with
an SB1 then the server finds the best matching format for playback. in
this case, WAV.
-kdf

mecouc
2006-01-08, 03:32
To add some more detail - if, while they are out of sync, I unsync and sync them, then they play the current FLAC track perfectly together, so it isn't an issue with FLAC per se, but something to do with changing tracks. I'll try to do some more experiments.

I think that they are back in sync for subsequent MP3 tracks if the out-of-sync FLAC is left to play through. The problem is only seen for FLAC tracks which are not the first track after synchronising. The SB1 is a fraction of a second behind.