PDA

View Full Version : SlimServer 6.2.1 won't start

Larry
2006-01-07, 10:08
Got my wireless SB3 configured for the network without any issues (except at the final step it can't find the SlimServer). Installed the 6.2.1 server software on an up to date XP system without problem. When I try to start the server it just keeps saying "SlimServer Starting" when you point to the icon on the tray. The server never actually completes starting. If you try to access the server from the web, you get an error message. I feel dead in the water. Any suggestions?

bishopdonmiguel
2006-01-07, 10:11
Larry,

This is a common issue. Uninstall, then re-install. That should get you going.

Siduhe
2006-01-07, 10:13
Got my wireless SB3 configured for the network without any issues (except at the final step it can't find the SlimServer). Installed the 6.2.1 server software on an up to date XP system without problem. When I try to start the server it just keeps saying "SlimServer Starting" when you point to the icon on the tray. The server never actually completes starting. If you try to access the server from the web, you get an error message. I feel dead in the water. Any suggestions?

You may not even need to uninstall and reinstall. Try "Shut down" Slimserver, then "Exit" Slimserver, then reboot PC. That may well do to the trick. Oh, and if you have a firewall, make sure that it's enabled for Slimserver. Slimserver will get stuck on "starting" if the firewall won't let it act as a server.

If that fails, uninstall and reinstall should do the trick.

Larry
2006-01-07, 10:46
Thank you for the quick replies.

I tried both methods, and it still isn't starting. The firewall is configured for SlimServer. Even so, I turned it off and tried again. Still didn't start. Any other suggestions?

Siduhe
2006-01-07, 10:56
Which firewall ?

And how is it configured for Slimserver ?

Larry
2006-01-07, 11:04
It's the Windows Firewall.

Under the Exceptions tab the following appear and are checked:

SlimServer 3483 tcp
SlimServer 3483 udp
SlimServer 9000 tcp
UPnP Framework (I'm not sure if this one came from the SlimServer install or not, but it does appear)

Siduhe
2006-01-07, 11:08
Have you enabled the Slimserver Program itself rather than just the ports ?

To enable a program by using Windows Firewall, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, click Run, type wscui.cpl in the Open box, and then click OK.
2. Click Windows Firewall.
3. In the Windows Firewall dialog box, click the Exceptions tab, and then click Add Program.
4. In the Add a Program dialog box, either select the program from the list that appears, or click Browse to locate your program.
5. After you select your program, click OK.
6. On the Exceptions tab, make sure that the check box next to your program is selected, and then click OK.

Then shutdown and reboot.

Larry
2006-01-07, 13:24
Oh boy - what a nightmare.

I added two programs to the exceptions since I wasn't sure exactly which SlimServer program to add. I added the C:\Program Files\SlimServer\SlimTray file and the C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\slim file. The system went wildly unstable after that, and backing out by deleting those two exceptions didn't help. Multiple attempts to do a system restore to an earlier point failed, but finally found a restore point which worked.

I then installed SlimServer again, but got the same behavior in that the server wouldn't start. Does something have to be enabled in XP to allow a web server application to be created?

After multiple attempts I have gotten SqueezeNetwork to connect and play.

I'm beginning to feel that the serverless approach of folks like Sonos has considerable merit.

Siduhe
2006-01-07, 14:15
Sorry to hear that.

I've just tested both suggestions (enabling ports and enabling slimserver) with XP firewall and both enabled slimserver to start up (although I did have to reboot).

What other programs are you running on start up. Could anything else be using those ports ?

Oh, and just to be certain, if you disable the XP firewall, do you have the same problems ?

Larry
2006-01-07, 14:54
Get the same behavior with the firewall enabled or disabled.

I also now get an error on XP startup asking me to send an error report to Microsoft. It reads, "slim.exe encountered a problem and needed to close."

erica
2006-01-08, 00:47
I did get slimserver running once but it crashed. Since then, I've tried reinstalling slimserver but experience the same issue: I get the "slimserver starting" message and can't access directly via the web brower. I run XP but don't have a personal firewall running. Help!