PDA

View Full Version : SlimServer and LaCie Ethernet Disk - Help?

richdean
2006-01-07, 10:05
Hi All,

I used to have the SlimServer running on my LaCie Ethernet Disk (v3), but recently upgraded the server to v4. Now I cannot figure out how to install the SlimServer on it anymore. It seems that LaCie has completely disabled any interface to the Ethernet Disk's OS. Any help would be very very appreciated.

If it can't be done, does anyone have their v3 (or any version really) of the older software for LaCie?

Thanks!

Rich

richdean
2006-01-20, 10:30
So bottom line on this:

v4 of their OS does not allow for SlimServer or any other application to be installed.

v3 does.

I sent my NAS back to LaCie to have them revert it back to v3

Thanks for everyone's help!

Rich

Hi All,

I used to have the SlimServer running on my LaCie Ethernet Disk (v3), but recently upgraded the server to v4. Now I cannot figure out how to install the SlimServer on it anymore. It seems that LaCie has completely disabled any interface to the Ethernet Disk's OS. Any help would be very very appreciated.

If it can't be done, does anyone have their v3 (or any version really) of the older software for LaCie?

Thanks!

Rich

Chander
2006-02-02, 07:59
Hi,

I've just bought a squeezebox v3 and i'm waiting to receive a brand new lacie ethernet disk 500 Go (the one with embedded windows xp). So i'm a totally newbie about this technology... In order to run correctly slimserver on this nas server, what are the tasks i must do or not do ? I've seen on the support page of the lacie company that i can download a 3.0 driver version for this ethernet disk. Is this the driver i need in order to run slimserver ? Is it possible to install directli this driver version because i read here that the version 4.0 is not compatible with slimserver ?

Thanks to all and sorry for my poor english...

richdean
2006-02-02, 08:37
I presume you are talking about the rack-mounted LaCie Ethernet Disk and not one of the mini disks. I don't know anything about the mini ethernet disks from LaCie.

For the rack-mounted version, the 3.1 driver works fine, so it's OK to install that patch/upgrade on the laCie server. However, you need to install a null.sys file and run a regedit program to get the SlimServer to run. I got these from the SlimDevices help desk, but if you email me, I can forward them to you (richdean at gmail dot com).

You also need to point the SlimServer to the My Music folder on your LaCie's C Drive. Doing this during installation is very important. Because the C drive on the LaCie unit is small, the D Drive partition is where you need to store your music. Make an alias/shortcut to your D Drive's Music Folder and put that alias/shortcut into the C Drive's My Music folder.

Once you install the null.sys file and run the regedit fix, the SlimServer will run with no problems. I am running the latest version of the SlimServer and it's great.

The most important thing: you MUST have access to your Ethernet Disk's desktop. The v4 of the LaCie OS does not allow you to install applications and disables the Windows Desktop interface. You'll know this right away when you boot the Ethernet disk -- if you have a monitor attached or use Remote Desktop to access it.

Make sense?

Rich

Hi,

I've just bought a squeezebox v3 and i'm waiting to receive a brand new lacie ethernet disk 500 Go (the one with embedded windows xp). So i'm a totally newbie about this technology... In order to run correctly slimserver on this nas server, what are the tasks i must do or not do ? I've seen on the support page of the lacie company that i can download a 3.0 driver version for this ethernet disk. Is this the driver i need in order to run slimserver ? Is it possible to install directli this driver version because i read here that the version 4.0 is not compatible with slimserver ?

Thanks to all and sorry for my poor english...

Chander
2006-02-02, 09:07
Thanks fo this quick answer...

And, yes, i'm talking about the rack-mounted lacie ethernet disk, not the mini. So, if you're agree to send me these files, my email is chander@skynet.be.
And when you say that i "MUST have access to your Ethernet Disk's desktop. The v4 of the LaCie OS does not allow you to install applications and disables the Windows Desktop interface", this means that when i will receive my lacie, i have just to install the OS v3, or the v4 is already installed and in this case, what can i do ?

Thanks again

Chander

richdean
2006-02-02, 09:20
I'll email you the files and the instructions SlimDevices sent me.

However, if your unit arrives with v4 of the OS (which it probably will if it is new from LaCie), the only way to get it back to v3 is to send it back to them. I don't know whether they can or will roll it back for you, but you can't do it yourself.

v3 of the LaCie edition of WinXP embedded is not available as a download (the things you see linked on their site are only patches). I was unable to find it via other means.

With v4 you can still use your LaCie Ethernet Disk to store the music files, you'll just need a PC/Mac to run the SlimServer software.

R

Thanks fo this quick answer...

And, yes, i'm talking about the rack-mounted lacie ethernet disk, not the mini. So, if you're agree to send me these files, my email is chander@skynet.be.
And when you say that i "MUST have access to your Ethernet Disk's desktop. The v4 of the LaCie OS does not allow you to install applications and disables the Windows Desktop interface", this means that when i will receive my lacie, i have just to install the OS v3, or the v4 is already installed and in this case, what can i do ?

Thanks again

Chander

mgippa
2007-01-17, 13:31
my lacie has v5 and cannot connect to music folder. Can you explain how to look for music in a shared folder on the Lacie. Slimserver naturally is installed and runs on a PC

ceejay
2007-01-17, 16:49
my lacie has v5 and cannot connect to music folder. Can you explain how to look for music in a shared folder on the Lacie. Slimserver naturally is installed and runs on a PC

OK, so I think you didn't pick a good thread to attach to - the previous discussion was about running slimserver on the NAS device. Whereas you are running slimserver on a PC and simply having difficulty connecting to it?

First, can you see the music folder from Windows explorer (NB - assuming Windows!)?

If you can see it from Windows but not from slimserver, have you read the FAQ on connecting to network drives?

Ceejay

gableguy
2008-12-30, 08:37
I know this is an old forum, but I was hoping someone would be able to give me info on how to find v3 of the LaCie Ethernet Disk software. I want to setup SlimServer and my 500GB LaCie Ethernet Disk. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Guys.

rouge
2009-05-13, 14:37
hi

i bought me a while ago one of this nice LaCie Ethernet disks (4T). i had already one before where i did good experience with slimserver on it.
After i realized that you can't access the windows shell in the new version via rdp, i had to find a way to open the box.
and i found :)

to do so you should be a bit of a techie.... registry, policies etc...
my way (short version): log in via RDP (the stupid LaCie Shell appears ), go to the firewall settings, klick on the help Link at the bottom, try to navigate to the on-line help, do save as in the IE and start an explorer via Contex menu. Then the fiddeling with creating another user account and installing an alternate shell starts.... [i'm using LiteStep http://www.litestep.net/ ]. Another shell was needed as i couldn't make run the Desktop and system tray of the original windows shell

and, as mention in an earlier post, you need this null.sys driver to make slimserver work...
i run some other server softwares on it and it works just great.

happy hacking
rouge