PDA

View Full Version : 24 hour clock display

Bob Derbyshire UK
2006-01-07, 01:39
I would prefer a 24 hour clock display on my new SqueezeBox but cannot find any appropriate settings. They must be there somewhere. Any help appreciated - please keep it simple!

davep
2006-01-07, 01:51
Bob,
In the Slimserver web interface (on your PC) select "Server Settings" (left hand pane, about half way down). In the settings page you should see a bunch of sub-menus across the top. Click on "Formatting" and then scroll down till you see "Time Format". The drop down list there allows you to select from a range of different formats with practically every layout imaginable. Find the one you like and hit the "Change" button. Your player(s) will now use your chosen format.

davep

mherger
2006-01-07, 01:54
> I would prefer a 24 hour clock display on my new SqueezeBox but cannot
> find any appropriate settings. They must be there somewhere. Any help
> appreciated - please keep it simple!

IMHO Slimserver uses your server's operating system settings to display
the date. What OS are you using? What are it's language settins?

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

Bob Derbyshire UK
2006-01-07, 02:08
davep

Thanks, it's sorted.

When I was going through all the settings I avoided the "Formatting" heading. I once selected that on my wife's new digi caamera and wipe all the photo's of our new granddaughter.

Bob

Bob Derbyshire UK
2006-01-07, 02:14
Michael

Thanks for you interest, but I have now fixed it with help from davep.

I think I get your drift and I thought that the SB would pick up the same time format as my pc (hh:mm 24 hr)- but it did not.

OS is XP

Regards, Bob

davep
2006-01-07, 03:09
I avoided the "Formatting" heading. I once selected that on my wife's new digi caamera and wipe all the photo's of our new granddaughter.

Ouch! It is certainly a lesson in the fact that things don't always mean what you think.

davep

CavesOfTQLT
2006-01-07, 03:18
On the subject of clocks, I once noticed that the times shown on my Squeezeboxen were 3 minutes adrift from the correct time. On examining the clock settings in the OS I found the 'use internet clock as reference' option was not enabled. Once enabled all clocks are now spot on, so I'd suggest newbies check this little detail out on their setups.

mherger
2006-01-07, 03:53
> the clock settings in the OS I found the 'use internet clock as
> reference' option was not enabled. Once enabled all clocks are now spot

Now please tell us what your OS is and where you found that option. I
can't remember ever having seen it... In XP I always used the "net time"
command to do this :-)

--

Michael

CavesOfTQLT
2006-01-07, 04:35
Now please tell us what your OS is and where you found that option. I
can't remember ever having seen it... In XP I always used the "net time"
command to do this :-)
My SlimServer is running on a Mandriva box and the setting was somewhere in the clock settings section of the MCC (Mandriva control centre). Just had a look at the clock section on this XP box I'm using (by double clicking the clock) and it also has a tab marked 'Internet Time'.

Now the Q is... if I was running a Nix without X loaded how would I setup the system to use an internet time reference! But that's one for the Linux forum...

mherger
2006-01-07, 05:05
> Now the Q is... if I was running a Nix without X loaded how would I
> setup the system to use an internet time reference! But that's one for
> the Linux forum...

I'm running a cron job calling ntpdate - not sure if this is the proper
way, but it works :-)

--

Michael

MrC
2006-01-07, 13:02
In Linux/Unix, ntpdate is used, as some don't like to run the ntpd time daemon due to network traffic use. When time accuracy is not paramount, ntpdate is fine. If higher accuracy is necessary, ntpd is a better choice.

Ntpdate is often called before starting ntpd, to ensure that the current time is fairly accurate before ntpd starts its convergence alogrithms.

In XP, the UI interface for "net time" can be reached by double clicking the clock on the task bar and going to the Internet Time tab. The checkbox "Automatically synchronize with an internet time server." sets the net time time server.