PDA

View Full Version : SB3 & router - DHCP problem

DABurleigh
2006-01-06, 18:01
I knew a Windows PC was not exactly a consumer product, but I was taken in by the marketing of the SB3 as a easy-to-setup-blackbox. I would never have guessed at the post-Christmas heartache it gave me. Looking on the bright side, I've learned a lot. What do other people do - take it back in disgust and rant at the dealer? So, skipping over the saga of how I got here, the problem is this:

Windows XP Pro
SMC Barricade SMC700ABR router
Squeezebox 3

Tried it wireless, but reverted to wired to try to get it working. Reset router (latest firmware). Router DHCP enabled. LAN with 4 PCs works off it fine, with simple file sharing all round. Factory reset SB3 (plus button). On setup, SB3 says it is asking DHCP server in router, but nothing happens other than SB3 assumes an IP of 169.XXX.XXX.XXX, way outside router DHCP IP address allocation window. So, SB3 ultimately fails to connect to Slimserver.

Manually allocating an IP address, inputting Gateway, subnet mask, DNS, and everything works. Got an SB3 firmware upgrade, but I checked that hadn't cured the DHCP problem, either. Haven't gone back to wireless yet, but I don't foresee any new problem there, other than I might need to set 11g, which would be inconvenient, but I'll worry about that if it happens.

So, the exam question is, when I've had various PCs and wireless access points work perfectly off my router for 4 years in DHCP server mode, why can't the latest Squeezebox3? I really don't want manual IP addressing and like to get DHCP working, but I think I've tried all that is suggested here.

Thanks

Dave

tyler_durden
2006-01-06, 19:37
Wireless networking is not as standard as you would think it would be by now. Different router makers do different weird stuff in an attempt to differentiate their product from all the others. Some work with the SB and some don't. Whenever my nephew takes his laptop to my brother's house and tries to connect to his wireless network, the whole network crashes.

There is a wiki page where you can report router problems to save others from the same headaches, and check for compatibility before you buy...

My SB3 didn't work with my SMC router in wireless mode. I had to get a new router. Fortunately, they are cheap.

TD

DABurleigh
2006-01-07, 11:17
Thanks, TD. Trouble is, my post relates entirely to wired, not wireless :-)

Dave

slimpy
2006-01-07, 11:25
The trouble with those SMC routers seems to be not only their wireless radio but also their DHCP server. I think you're out of luck there. Just grab some cheap router listed on this http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?RouterStatus page or keep your sb wired with fixed IP. What is so bad about fixed IP anyway?

-s.

tyler_durden
2006-01-07, 16:10
My SMC router worked fine in wired mode. It connected itself and started talking to the server almost immediately, with no screwing around on my part. It was using the DHCP server to get an IP address. I used it that way for a week or so before I replaced it with the WRT54G in order to get the wireless working.

TD

DABurleigh
2006-01-08, 17:46
Thanks for replies chaps. I've transferred to wireless now, and with 110g/b setting on my Netgear 108Mbs access point, it works fine. I'll stick with my SMC router on fixed IP, though the DHCP thing still rankles (I wasted SO much time!) and I suppose I'm still curious as to whether the fundamental problem is with the router or SB3.

Just got to crack a synchronisation delay now between Softsqueeze and SB3. The SB3 is the one with the delay, not the Windows PC as the initial help describes, but I haven't researched that one yet.

One of these days I'll be able to start listening to the music rather than setting it all up .....

Dave

sfraser
2006-01-08, 18:44
Thanks for replies chaps. I've transferred to wireless now, and with 110g/b setting on my Netgear 108Mbs access point, it works fine. I'll stick with my SMC router on fixed IP, though the DHCP thing still rankles (I wasted SO much time!) and I suppose I'm still curious as to whether the fundamental problem is with the router or SB3.

Just got to crack a synchronisation delay now between Softsqueeze and SB3. The SB3 is the one with the delay, not the Windows PC as the initial help describes, but I haven't researched that one yet.

One of these days I'll be able to start listening to the music rather than setting it all up .....

Dave

One thing you can check. What is the range size of the amount of address's your DHCP server service can dish out? You mentioned that you 4 PC's, perhaps you set the DHCP server to only dish out a max. of 4 address's as a security measure at some point in time?

Good luck

Scott

DABurleigh
2006-01-09, 00:14
Scott,

1 to 40 :-)

Dave

Mark Lanctot
2006-01-09, 22:22
I'll stick with my SMC router on fixed IP, though the DHCP thing still rankles (I wasted SO much time!) and I suppose I'm still curious as to whether the fundamental problem is with the router or SB3.

Like a few that have posted here, my SMC router didn't work with the SB2 or SB3 at all. Switched to wired, instant success. Switched to the Linksys WRT54G, instant success.

I see a lot of people blaming Slim and I don't necessarily agree. It's not like they are making their own wireless cards - the cards are from Atheros, a large wireless networking supplier. NETGEAR, for example, uses Atheros products.

I would strongly suspect the SMC router in this case. My SMC2804WBRP-G went through 10-15 firmware revisions! Some firmware was just about unusable and broke fundamental operating features of the router. Differences in wireless performance between different firmwares were huge - there are multipage threads at dslreports.com about what firmware is the best for stability, which one's the best for speed, which one's the best for print server performance, which one's the best overall - and of course they are all different and of course the situation's not the same for everyone.

When I started playing with firmware on the SMC to get it to work with the SB and then I started playing whack-a-mole with the unit's firmware bugs I decided to ditch it.