PDA

View Full Version : Is the network down?

DannyJ
2006-01-06, 16:19
Hi guys.
I'm having real trouble getting my squeezebox3 to connect to squeezenetwork tonight.
It just hangs, it wont connect but it will connect to my PC quite happily.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? I'm very new to all this, sorry!

Dan

mherger
2006-01-07, 01:53
> I'm having real trouble getting my squeezebox3 to connect to
> squeezenetwork tonight.
> It just hangs, it wont connect but it will connect to my PC quite
> happily.

I think there has some work been done recently. Right now I can connect to
SQN, but it takes a few seconds. Is it still broken for you?

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

DannyJ
2006-01-07, 05:28
Thanks, everything seems to be working fine now.

Is it often a little difficult to connect?

D

jonolumb
2006-01-08, 12:19
This seems like a recent thing, it never used to be like this.
It turns on and off very slowly for me at the moment although browsing isnt bad.
I keep experiencing glitches with the menu and streams keep having to stop and rebuffer.
Its even taken me up to a minute to connect.
I guess that work is being done so I'll just sit and wait for things to smooth out! :)

paxtonc
2006-01-08, 12:26
Is there a status page? If not, should there be?

DannyJ
2006-01-08, 13:52
I'm glad you said that... Mine has been taking an AGE to start up and turn off.

D

ianf
2006-01-08, 14:21
Mine is also very slow,it takes an age to connect then responds very slowly to remote commands,you can build up too many commands in its buffer.
I gave up and used my Slimserver,I feel the network may be being upgraded to take into account the number of Squeezeboxes accessing it?
It worked well till recently.
Ian

DannyJ
2006-01-08, 14:51
I do hope this is a passing problem, as I really wanted to be able to easily access internet radio without always having my PC on!

Thanks for the info guys. I was worried my box may be faulty as I haven't had it long.

D

Dan Sully
2006-01-08, 15:05
* DannyJ shaped the electrons to say...

>I do hope this is a passing problem, as I really wanted to be able to
>easily access internet radio without always having my PC on!
>
>Thanks for the info guys. I was worried my box may be faulty as I
>haven't had it long.

I'm going to be setting up some new machines tomorrow.

We're aware of the load issues.

Thanks.

-D
--
<iNoah> kernel's original recipe: 11 secret args and switches

DannyJ
2006-01-10, 15:49
I am still having real problems connecting to squeezenetwork. Haven't been able to connect all night tonight.

Is anyone else?

D

randyb661
2006-01-10, 16:06
Me too. Still having problems today. Can't connect at all right now. But it's been super slow, as you mentioned, for the last few days.

seanadams
2006-01-10, 23:25
Sorry, we had some problems tonight and we're still bringing up more machines to handle growth. It's expected to be a lot faster in the next day or so.

Dan Sully
2006-01-11, 02:02
* randyb661 shaped the electrons to say...

>Me too. Still having problems today. Can't connect at all right now. But
>it's been super slow, as you mentioned, for the last few days.

There was a small issue tonight, what looked like a DoS - I took the
opporunity to do some kernel upgrades, and moved servers and services around.

Everything should be back up now.

-D
--
It does not do to leave a live Dragon out of your calculations..

Timbo
2006-01-11, 03:44
I have had a problem for weeks now and still couldn't get on for ages this morning - had to switch off SB2 several times at the wall as it just sat there with a blank screen doing nothing. I was only after booting PC and connecting to Slimserver that I could get the box back to speaking to me!

ianf
2006-01-11, 05:42
Same for me,no access all last night or this morning early am uk time.
Had to go back to Slimserver

Magbert
2006-01-11, 06:49
I have been trying to connect for two days now - without success. I managed to connect twice actually but then the network was incredibly slow. Will try again this evening.

nicky6
2006-01-11, 07:01
btw, Dan, an improved feature for the future would be for the owners to upload their own playlists and music files to this site and then be able to stream content from your server. For e.g. wake up calls or listening at work w/o having to have their PC's turned on at home. Limited amount of storage perhaps or a monthly fee...

I'd be interested, as long as it was 200GB and free ;) Nah, but really, I'd be interested...

gammelgam
2006-01-11, 07:05
Connecting to Squeezenetwork is still nearly impossible. Tried this morning (7hrs ago) with the same results: 80% of the time: no connection, 20% *VERY* slow (10 minutes to connect) service.

What gives?

mzpro5
2006-01-11, 09:07
I can understand when maintenance or upgrades are being done but how difficult would it be to let people know via a forum announcement ahead of time when scheduled work is going to be done or that there is a problem being fixed?

The most frustrating thing I have found since getting my SB3 in November is not necessarily the connection issues/problems but what I consider very poor communication/customer service from the Slim Devices people.

You expect bugs when getting a new product but customers would like a little communication before the fact to temper frustration when things aren't working correctly.

dean
2006-01-11, 09:13
We had an unexpected and total failure on the SqueezeNetwork service
and Slim Devices website last night. Dan brought it back up quickly
with a couple of new machines, but it failed again last night.

We're trying to communicate our situation as clearly as possible, but
we're scrambling now to bring the services back up.

-dean

On Jan 11, 2006, at 8:07 AM, mzpro5 wrote:

>
> I can understand when maintenance or upgrades are being done but how
> difficult would it be to let people know via a forum announcement
> ahead
> of time when scheduled work is going to be done or that there is a
> problem being fixed?
>
> The most frustrating thing I have found since getting my SB3 in
> November is not necessarily the connection issues/problems but what I
> consider very poor communication/customer service from the Slim
> Devices
> people.
>
> You expect bugs when getting a new product but customers would like a
> little communication before the fact to temper frustration when things
> aren't working correctly.
>
>
> --
> mzpro5
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> --
> mzpro5's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=2267
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=19784
>
>

Drel
2006-01-11, 11:03
May I suggest an excellent network monitoring program that I've used at several companies in the past, including my current employer?

It's called Big Brother Network Monitor. There are both free and professional editions (The main difference between the two versions are professional support contracts with the latter), the free edition is available here:

http://www.bb4.org/

While it was purchased by Quest Software (allowing for the advent of the professional supported version) a few years ago, the program has been under development for many years. I first began using it in 1997, I believe.

The core Unix software is written in shell script for portability across a tremendous number of platforms, and native server and client packages are available for Windows, too (that install via a simple Installshield installer).

It uses a client server architecture, scales very well to large networks, and provides support for email alerts, paging, monitoring arbitrary services, etc. A paging matrix can be set up, so that the correct person or group of people is notified (via email or pager) should a problem arise.

Clients running on each monitored machine supply the server software with stats about CPU load, disk usage, can monitor essential processes to see if they have died, look for warning messages in the event log, etc. Communication is done via port 1984, unsurprisingly. You can also monitor upstream routers to alert you of an ISP failure, integrate via SNMP, etc.

Lastly, it provides an easy to understand, color coded view of your network health, that internal staff and (if you choose) the public can use to see the status of the network. A change in network status of any monitored component will change the background color of the page (yellow for a warning, such as low disk space, red for a page-level event, such as a dead server), and allow users to drill down to see the extent and duration of the problem.

When a customer wonders why their Squeezebox can't connect, they can visit a single webpage and very easily see if there's currently a known problem with the network. If everything's OK, they know the problem is likely local to them. Ideally, BB will allow your support personnel to know of any problem long before a customer notices it.

It might very well lighten the load on your support personnel, and make customers feel much more informed.

You could compare it to HP's Tivoli, but without all the overhead and crap. It's not technically an open source project, due to the license, but source is available and able to be modified for the Unix server and client.

A qualified IT professional could have the system researched and up and running on a small testbed of platforms with half a day's work. All that's required is a BBDISPLAY host (that requires a webserver and provides the web based view of the network's health), a BBPAGER host (that sends out alerts via email or via modem to pagers, and can be the same host as the BBDISPLAY host), and a monitored system (which can either be monitored solely from the outside with connection based tests, or in combination with the client software, to monitor information only available locally, such as CPU load or full disk conditions).

I should note I have no connection to Quest Software, I'm simply a very satisfied and long time user of Big Brother Network Monitor.

Best regards,
Nick

seanadams
2006-01-11, 11:39
Nick,

Thanks for the suggestion I will look into it. We do have a great deal of monitoring and notification systems in place and Dan was aware of the problem instantly. Unfortunately forums/www were down too so we had limited means of reporting status.

Everything is up as of 1AM with new servers online to expand capacity. We are improving the system on an ongoing basis.

Sean

DannyJ
2006-01-11, 16:03
Hey there!

Has something gone wrong with the network again? I can't get connected at all!

I am starting to think it might be my box..

D

ian_heys
2006-01-11, 23:29
I've been unable to log in for the last eighteen hours - although Softsqueeze logs in OK.

Is there a problem?

Dan Sully
2006-01-12, 10:27
* ian_heys shaped the electrons to say...

>I've been unable to log in for the last eighteen hours - although
>Softsqueeze logs in OK.
>
>Is there a problem?

SN is up an running fine. However, the service IP moved. So try flushing your
DNS cache and rebooting the SB.

-D
--
<ZangTT> berkeley db - it's mostly about the hash()

DannyJ
2006-01-12, 11:18
Sorry... how would I do that?
Just unplug and reboot the SB3?

D

ian_heys
2006-01-12, 12:12
Thanks for the tip.

Had to change the DNS server from my router IP (which had worked) to my cable company DNS server (which works faster) - all working well now - thanks again for the help.

DannyJ
2006-01-12, 12:16
OK. Can anyone help a bit of a novice out when it comes to all things DNS?

D

dean
2006-01-12, 13:59
On Jan 12, 2006, at 10:18 AM, DannyJ wrote:

>
> Sorry... how would I do that?
You shouldn't need to now. The issue was that since we moved the
service to a new IP address, some domain name servers might have the
old IP address in their cache.

By now, they should all be refreshed. Let us know if you are still
having problems connecting.

DannyJ
2006-01-12, 14:16
All sorted now!
Thanks.

Mark Lanctot
2006-01-12, 17:35
Yep, thanks Slim!

SqueezeNetwork has been back to normal for me for the past 2 nights.

I noticed the DNS thing - it timed out at "Problem: can't find address for SqueezeNetwork" half-a-dozen times before it connected. I guess it was retrieving from the cache.

OT: I have had severe DNS resolution issues with my ISP. I'm trying to maintain a local DNS server which communicates with my ISP's local DNS servers. First I tried my DSL modem, which supposedly maintains DNS. Works for a few days, then fails, so I guess it's not refreshing its DNS data. Then I tried my router with the same result. I gave up and used a DNS server I know which is well outside my local ISP. That sometimes creates problems due to physical distance though.