PDA

View Full Version : New setup-can't cannot to wireless network

mjohnson
2006-01-06, 15:47
I am trying to set up my new SB3 to a Dell laptop XP w/ a linksys wireless router WRT54G. My SB powers up and then says it's "connecting to wireless network." Then the screen goes blank and it never connects. I've tried disabling my firewall and turning the SB off and back on again.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Mike

tyler_durden
2006-01-06, 19:49
Here is how my SB3 and wrt54G are set up:

WRT54G:
most of the WRT54G defaults are being used. To wit...
DHCP is enabled
local IP address is 192.168.1.1
subnet mask is 255.255.255.0
currently set for mixed b and g wireless.
SSID is "linksys" and is being broadcasted.
channel is set to 6.
security: I use wpa with a pass phrase.
firewall: everything checked except "Filter Internet NAT Redirection"
VPN: everything enabled
everything else is default settings.

If your SB-3 won't connect, first bring it close to your router to take signal strength out of the equation.

Do a factory reset on the SB and then start the network connection process. Tell it to connect via wireless and use wpa. The enter the wpa passphrase.

It should then connect and get an IP address.

TD

mjohnson
2006-01-07, 20:25
Thanks Tyler. I figured out the right setup with your help.

However, now my SB won't connect to the Squeezenetwork.

When my player shows it's connected and showing good signal strength, I'm getting nothing.

"Now Playing" shows on the screen and when I touch the right arrow on the remote, it shows "Nothing". When I try to do on a search on the remote, I get "Coming Soon" on the SB.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Mike

DrNic
2006-01-08, 13:00
Thanks Tyler. I figured out the right setup with your help.

However, now my SB won't connect to the Squeezenetwork.

When my player shows it's connected and showing good signal strength, I'm getting nothing.

"Now Playing" shows on the screen and when I touch the right arrow on the remote, it shows "Nothing". When I try to do on a search on the remote, I get "Coming Soon" on the SB.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Mike

Hi
If I read into your post right (correct me if I'm wrong!), it sounds as though you _are_ connected to Squeezenetwork. I presume you went through getting a PIN first time trying to connect and then registered on the web site with that PIN?
If so, then when the SB3 is displaying "now playing" just scroll _down_ to get to Internet Radio and try selecting one of the streams from any of the providers.
Let us know if that helps - or if I was fielding instead of batting!!

Nic

mjohnson
2006-01-08, 13:25
Nic,

I did get a PIN, but did notbregister it. I am looking on the website, but can't seem to find where to register. Can you point me in that direction, please?

Thanks, Mike

mjohnson
2006-01-08, 15:34
I was able to connect to the SqueezeNetwork and listen to some internet radio so I know I'm definitely connecting wirelessly. I'm not thrilled about the remote as it seems to stutter, stop, and do what it wants, but it eventually got me to Shoutcast.

I am back to my original problem now. I cannot get my player to connect to Slimserver so that I can listen to my music on my hard drive.

Going through my setup:

Connected to Wireless network
Obtains IP address
Select Source-RWA Laptop

Then I get:

Can't connect to Slimserver.

Any suggestions on how to connect to Slimserver?

Thanks, Mike

DrNic
2006-01-15, 14:45
I was able to connect to the SqueezeNetwork and listen to some internet radio so I know I'm definitely connecting wirelessly. I'm not thrilled about the remote as it seems to stutter, stop, and do what it wants, but it eventually got me to Shoutcast.

I am back to my original problem now. I cannot get my player to connect to Slimserver so that I can listen to my music on my hard drive.

Going through my setup:

Connected to Wireless network
Obtains IP address
Select Source-RWA Laptop

Then I get:

Can't connect to Slimserver.

Any suggestions on how to connect to Slimserver?

Thanks, Mike

Hi Mike

Sorry for the lack of reply, work always gets in the way of play!! :)
Glad that you are able to connect to SqueezeNetwork now.
Addressing your last problem - unable to connect to Slimserver...
As long as what you state is true then you are nearly there!!
If you are actually able to connect to Sqeezenetwork (and hence are getting a valid IP address 192.168.x.x or whatever) then the fault of being unable to find your slimserver is down to a few possibilities.
1) Is the Slimserver actually running? - check the tray icon, it should say SS is running and allow you to open a browser window to the frontend. (http://localhost:9000)
2) Is there a firewall issue preventing access? - try totally disabling the firewall momentarily to see if that helps, also ensure you are not running Windows built in firewall in tandem to a third party one.

If both of the above are not the cause then post back and tell us where you are up to.

Nic