PDA

View Full Version : using a laptop to access the music

maddog 2
2006-01-04, 14:33
I've currently got a wired SB3 connected to my main PC (via a router) which runs Slimserver. Everything currently works fine.

However, I also have a laptop which I access the net on wirelessly (via the same router). What I want to do is be able to access the music stored on the PC using the laptop. I've shared the drive with the music on between the PC and laptop and installed Softsqueeze on the laptop but I must be missing something basic as it can't access the music files (flacs).

Does the laptop need its own Slimserver software to work? Is that it? I've looked on the wiki stuff but drew a blank.

Any ideas?

ceejay
2006-01-04, 16:59
I've currently got a wired SB3 connected to my main PC (via a router) which runs Slimserver. Everything currently works fine.

However, I also have a laptop which I access the net on wirelessly (via the same router). What I want to do is be able to access the music stored on the PC using the laptop. I've shared the drive with the music on between the PC and laptop and installed Softsqueeze on the laptop but I must be missing something basic as it can't access the music files (flacs).

Does the laptop need its own Slimserver software to work? Is that it? I've looked on the wiki stuff but drew a blank.

Any ideas?

I think you may be mixing up two different scenarios here.

If you want to use softsqueeze on your laptop, it doesn't need to access the music files: slimserver will do that for you, and pass out the music stream to the softsqueeze client (just as it does to your SB). You do need to configure softsqueeze to connect to the slimserver, though - go to the preferences dialog (top left of the softsqueeze window, I think, it may depend on the skin you are using) and enter the machine name of the computer that is running slimserver.

If you wanted to use some other software to access the FLAC files via your share, then it ought to work just fine once you have your share set up (which I think you have).

If you're trying to do something else, please explain...

Ceejay

maddog 2
2006-01-05, 02:28
yep, it's the connection to slimserver that's the problem. On the laptop, softsqueeze is trying to connect to Slimserver over the network but it can't, and I didn't know how to make this happen.

I'll try what you said. Thanks.

ceejay
2006-01-05, 06:59
If it still doesn't work even after you have told Softsqueeze where to find slimserver, the usual problem is with the firewalls - on either or both of server and laptop, ports 9000 and 3483 need to be open.

Ceejay