PDA

View Full Version : Solution for elderly parent

jfaughnan
2006-01-03, 12:39
My elderly mother is losing her vision.I'd like to provide her with a convenient way to listen to a music library. I'd have to manage the library, but I live 500 miles away. She has broadband; I could increase the bandwidth limits.

She needs a very simple solution. She can't operate iTunes for example. She needs a physical remote. I know SlimServer can stream mp3, but I don't think that's what I want.

I'd like to run SlimServer from my home and have a Squeezebox at her home. I'd like the Squeezebox to display playlists from my SlimServer. VPN could be a part of the solution.

Any experience with something like this?

Thanks!
john

ezkcdude
2006-01-03, 13:04
My elderly mother is losing her vision.I'd like to provide her with a convenient way to listen to a music library. I'd have to manage the library, but I live 500 miles away. She has broadband; I could increase the bandwidth limits.

She needs a very simple solution. She can't operate iTunes for example. She needs a physical remote. I know SlimServer can stream mp3, but I don't think that's what I want.

I'd like to run SlimServer from my home and have a Squeezebox at her home. I'd like the Squeezebox to display playlists from my SlimServer. VPN could be a part of the solution.

Any experience with something like this?

Thanks!
john

You can definitely do this. My brother was able to control my SB3 from his home. You will need to change settings in her router (maybe you could enable remote login?), and configure her firewall, if any to allow the necessary incoming/outgoing traffic. It's not trivial, but it's definitely something that can be done. We set it up in about an hour, but if we did it again, it would probably only take a few minutes.

snarlydwarf
2006-01-03, 13:28

Depending on your experience level and "spare parts" budget, you may also want to look at just dropping off a Linux box next visit so that the music is local to her. Very easy to manage remotely.

I know that's not what you asked for, but IMHO, it provides a better "user experience".. the latency across a network is sort of annoying sometimes and it may frustrate her out of using it.

But, yes, a Squeezebox can use a remote server as long as routers and firewalls are set right. The only catch you may have is if your server is on a dynamic IP (like a cable modem or DSL .. they may be very-long-term, but they can change without notice) it would be problematic to have her reset the slimserver IP on the SB if/when that IP changes.

jfaughnan
2006-01-03, 15:34
Depending on your experience level and "spare parts" budget, you may also want to look at just dropping off a Linux box next visit so that the music is local to her. Very easy to manage remotely.

I am also concerned about latency, but I'm reluctant to learn a new OS (I use OS X for my stuff, XP for work) and to manage a separate library. I manage my own music collection in iTunes on an iMac and I'd like to keep a consolidated library with her as a subscriber.

Do you know where I can read some documentation on this sort of configuration?

jfaughnan
2006-01-03, 15:35
You can definitely do this. My brother was able to control my SB3 from his home. You will need to change settings in her router (maybe you could enable remote login?), and configure her firewall, if any to allow the necessary incoming/outgoing traffic. It's not trivial, but it's definitely something that can be done. We set it up in about an hour, but if we did it again, it would probably only take a few minutes.

Did the music library reside in your brother's home? What was the performance and reliability like?

thanks!

ezkcdude
2006-01-03, 15:37
The only catch you may have is if your server is on a dynamic IP (like a cable modem or DSL .. they may be very-long-term, but they can change without notice) it would be problematic to have her reset the slimserver IP on the SB if/when that IP changes.

Just go to www.dyndns.org and setup an account. My router software (Linksys WRT54G) refreshes my dyndns automatically, which is a really nice feature. I know everyone likes to complain about Linksys, but that dyndns refreshing is one of the best things about my router. Truth be told, though, my connection is not 100% reliable, but it's not due to the DNS.

ezkcdude
2006-01-03, 15:39
Did the music library reside in your brother's home? What was the performance and reliability like?

thanks!

I believe we did it both ways. As long as you give the right IP addresses, it should work out.

artherstrasse
2006-01-03, 15:53
I had the same issue with my mom who has simply reached an age where I have to find simple solutions.

XM Radio and set the presets to whatever she wants.

A royal screw-up means I tell her to turn it off then back on. Happened once in two years. We're both delighted.

I'm new to this board and in the process of trying to get SlimServer to work but from what I've seen so far, SlimServer/Squeezebox is far more techie than I ever imagined.

jfaughnan
2006-01-03, 18:58
I had the same issue with my mom who has simply reached an age where I have to find simple solutions.

XM Radio and set the presets to whatever she wants.

A royal screw-up means I tell her to turn it off then back on. Happened once in two years. We're both delighted.

I'm new to this board and in the process of trying to get SlimServer to work but from what I've seen so far, SlimServer/Squeezebox is far more techie than I ever imagined.I've experimented with Slimserver before, and I agree it's relatively demanding. The real strength of slimserver is the community -- very smart and supportive. The SqueezeBox hardware/remote is said to be very well done and simple.

I do think that the Slimserver/Squeezebox experience could be made simpler for iTunes users -- especially if the Squeezebox were able to accept non-FairPlayed AAC directly.

XM Radio has a certain simplicity. I'll look into it more. Thanks!

PS. If I do the Squeezebox route, I'm thinking I'll link my mother's LAN to mine with a VPN connection. The hardware for doing that has really dropped in price.

jfaughnan
2006-01-04, 14:03
You can definitely do this. My brother was able to control my SB3 from his home. You will need to change settings in her router (maybe you could enable remote login?), and configure her firewall, if any to allow the necessary incoming/outgoing traffic. It's not trivial, but it's definitely something that can be done. We set it up in about an hour, but if we did it again, it would probably only take a few minutes.Can you point me to a reference on what would need to be configured?