PDA

View Full Version : Response times and V3 specs.

montechristo
2006-01-03, 11:59
Hi guys,

Having purchased an original squeezebox a couple of years ago, proving that I was generally happy and putting it away while my house renovations were in progress, I finally dug it back out this xmas.

I've spent the last few days reading this forum but still have some questions I'm hoping you can answer.

Music format is mp3 192K VBR which I had already ripped for use in my car player. A total of 65Gigs worth. I will be re-ripping into Flac later on in the year once my lounge is ready for the hifi to come back out.

For the moment though on the kitchen stereo mp3 is fine.

Music server is an old PIII 450 with 400Mb Ram and 120gig HD runnng XP SP2, and nothing else.

Network is wired Cat5 (though strangely only 10Mb on this run, mental note to run in new cable)

Squeezebox 1 has been flashed to the latest firmware and I'm running the latest version of Slimserver

Sound quality is great, however the speed of response to searching the database even when browsing the file structure isn't exactly inspiring.

So my questions are;

1. Is this slow response likely to be

a)network? possible though I would have thought 10Mb sufficient?

b)squeezebox? If so is this any better on V2 and V3 models?

c)server related? I have no linux experience so am sticking with XP though I'm aware Linux would be a better choice on this box. If so any suggestios as to a suitable spec to cope with with a couple of thousand CDs, both in their current format and later in FLAC?

2. I understand that Squeezebox V2 and V3 can do native FLAC? I assume this means the client does the decoding? Whereas my V1 requires the server to do it?

3. My lounge places me some 4.5 metres away from the Home entertainment kit and I currently can't read either my CD player or amp display without getting up. I'm unsure wether a V3 Squeezebox will be any more readable from that range or wether a Roku Photobridge operated via the TV would be a better solution for the lounge. It's photo functions are something the mrs wants anyway.

So far the only display specs I can find for the V3 are Large, high-resolution vacuum fluorescent display 320x32 greyscale pixels. Which doesn't really help. Can anyone give me actual physical dimensions?

thanks in advance and sorry for the long first post.

Mark.

bishopdonmiguel
2006-01-03, 12:22
> 1. Is this slow response likely to be

I would guess "C." Your hardware and memory configuration for XP is near the bottom-end of acceptability.

> I assume this means the client does the decoding?

Correct.

mherger
2006-01-03, 12:32
> a)network? possible though I would have thought 10Mb sufficient?

Little probable. My boxen run wirelessly - 11Mb.

> b)squeezebox? If so is this any better on V2 and V3 models?

Don't think so. It's all server powered. The device only displays what
information it gets from the server.

> c)server related? I have no linux experience so am sticking with XP
> though I'm aware Linux would be a better choice on this box. If so any
> suggestios as to a suitable spec to cope with with a couple of thousand
> CDs, both in their current format and later in FLAC?

Load my SlimCD, burn to CD and boot your XP box using this live linux. It
will tell you whether it performs better on Linux without the hassle to
install a new system.

> 2. I understand that Squeezebox V2 and V3 can do native FLAC? I
> assume this means the client does the decoding? Whereas my V1 requires
> the server to do it?

Exactly.

> So far the only display specs I can find for the V3 are Large,
> high-resolution vacuum fluorescent display 320x32 greyscale pixels.
> Which doesn't really help. Can anyone give me actual physical
> dimensions?

It's about the same size as in the SB1, but much more readable at a
distance.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

montechristo
2006-01-06, 08:21
thanks guys for the replies

I've now solved the response issue by using XPTuner to remove anything that might possibly slow XP down, and also set services to have a higher priority than applications.

respopnse is now instantaneous

IE now runs like a dog when accessing slimserver from that box, but this will be used so rarely I'm not worried, normally I'll access slimserver by my desktop PC where it works fine.