PDA

View Full Version : Slim Server verses AE1

Ash58
2006-01-02, 05:17
Hi

I cannot decide between buying a slim server and AE1(acoustic energy, can anyone help me.

My main interest is listening to the internet radio. In both the units i can have internet radio without switching on the PC. However the only difference being with slim server i can have control over the url's i want. Therefore can anyone test this out for me please.

Most of the radio stations i want to listen to are broadcasting in either windows media player or real player format. Could someone please try these URL and confirm if they work with slim player or server.

http://66.28.221.209:80/ZJMRWZ5760ZKOTZE/d_artists/superstars2/superstars12.rm

Also will i be able to listen to stations where the url ends in
.Pls
.rm
.asx
or mms://209.61.156.185/GONradio

All i want to do is not even install the slim server just use the internet radio side of it.

Any ideas or suggestions

Regards
Ash

shifty1725
2006-01-03, 09:36
Ash,

I have both the SB3 and the AE Wifi Radio. If all you are interested in is internet radio, I would totally recommend the AE Wifi Radio over the SB3. Positives of the AE is that there are a hell of a lot of radio stations already programmed into the radio which can be put onto preset buttons so your favourites are just one button click away, there are far less dropouts on the AE, it has a built-in speaker so you can listen anywhere in your house.

As for listening to radio stations through playlists, I've tried to listen to one radio station (a wma station - asx feed) and wasn't able to listen to it. Therefore, I submitted the url to the Receiva website and it's now included on the list.

All in all, both are excellent pieces of equipment. In my short experience of both, I would say that the SB3 is better if you want to stream music from your pc/nas as it supports more file formats and the AE Wifi Radio is more geared towards the internet radio side of things. The wifi radio will also stream music from your pc/nas, but only supports mp3, wma and rm (also doesn't require a server program to be running on the pc/nas).

Hope this helps!

Colin

Ash58
2006-01-11, 07:07
Colin

Many thanks for your response and sorry could not come back earlier but the slim server site was down.

I have a question you mentioned that AE1 does not require the server software to be installed on the PC/Nas so how does it know which mp3 to look for that's interesting.

The downside of the AE1 is its a small company and they are more into speakers rather than technology as regards to reciva its their first project. I don't like the idea of sending the url to reciva and then wait to be loaded until they have time. IF there is a mistake or the url is not correct you have a problem. Another thing that can happen is a year down the line and reciva may say i want 20$ if you want to listen to say world asia just like the company world space they did the same few years ago and i wasted my money on their sat Radio.

Another problem is i don't know if the AE1 is UPNP compliant i bought the creative lab's wifi media and was told loads of things including UPNP, but it can't work with any UPNP servers so which part of it is UPNP i am lost. Now creative doesn't want to enhance or support the product because of likes of SB3 etc. so once again i am stuck.

If AE1 went under we will both be at a loss but if SB3 went under we still have Tversity server software which works(i am being told haven't seen it yet)with SB3. So if anyone is using SB3 with third party UPNP server software it would be interesting to know?

Once again many thanks for your input

Ash

radish
2006-01-11, 07:54
If AE1 went under we will both be at a loss but if SB3 went under we still have Tversity server software which works(i am being told haven't seen it yet)with SB3. So if anyone is using SB3 with third party UPNP server software it would be interesting to know?

I have no idea what "tversity" is, but if SlimDevices went under tomorrow we'd still have slimserver, and we'd most likely still have active development of new features. That's the magic of open source.

slimpy
2006-01-11, 10:13
So if anyone is using SB3 with third party UPNP server software it would be interesting to know?
Indeed, that would be interesting. I doubt this is at all possible. Squeezebox is not an UPNP capable device and relies entirely on Slimserver or Squeezenetwork. That said, it is possible to write server software for the Squeezebox if you implement the protocol between server and client. I don't think anyone is seriously into this as Slimserver is open source and free and people can contribute to it and user advice is always welcome. There is not much need for an alternative at this point.

-s.

Mark Lanctot
2006-01-11, 11:10
Also UPnP has some serious security problems:

http://www.grc.com/unpnp/unpnp.htm

slimpy wrote:
> Ash58 Wrote:
>
>> So if anyone is using SB3 with third party UPNP
server software it
>>would be interesting to know?
>
> Indeed, that would be interesting. I doubt this is
at all possible.
> Squeezebox is not an UPNP capable device and relies
entirely on
> Slimserver or Squeezenetwork. That said, it is
possible to write server
> software for the Squeezebox if you implement the
protocol between server
> and client. I don't think anyone is seriously into
this as Slimserver is
> open source and free and people can contribute to it
and user advice is
> always welcome. There is not much need for an
alternative at this
> point.
>
> -s.
>
>

--

Mark Lanctot

Ash58
2006-01-11, 13:13
Dear Radish

Tversity(http://www.tversity.com ) is like slimserver 6.2 which sites on the server and talks to third party receivers such as Squeezebox, Noxon, dlink,linksys, philips etc. Not only it does audio but also video as well. Its free and also open Source.

But this is really meant for devices that were orginally started as a great idea and died along the way because the developers or the owner either lost interest or they not making any profit.

Poor guys like me bought their products and now cannot move forward so some tech guru started this tversity and now have saved loads of poor guys except me because i bought Creative which is a dead duck.

Guys who bought Squeezebox are probably the most happy at the moment.

That's why before i buy my next product i want to be very sure and looks like i am now 99% certain that Squeezebox has a very good future.

The only thing which i hope to get my answers tomorrow is running the slimserver 6.2 on a NAS drive independently. If it does i can transfer all my MP3's etc don't have to worry about the PC being ON and enjoy the music. If that happens guys check out EBAY for a cheap cheap Wireless creative lab music server.

Ash

radish
2006-01-11, 14:05
Dear Radish

Tversity(http://www.tversity.com ) is like slimserver 6.2 which sites on the server and talks to third party receivers such as Squeezebox, Noxon, dlink,linksys, philips etc. Not only it does audio but also video as well. Its free and also open Source.

Looking at that site I don't see any evidence that Tversity will work with Squeezebox - it's a UPnP server and Squeezebox isn't a UPnP device.