PDA

View Full Version : Real Player for BBC

Clover
2006-01-01, 21:43
Hi
Does Squeezebox support internet radio streaming using Real Player? This is the player required for BBC internet radio programming.
Many thanks

Milhouse
2006-01-01, 21:52
AlienBBC is what you need - take a look at the following thread which announces the latest version: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=19054

The Squeezebox does not natively support Real Player - the Real Player stream has to be converted to a supported format such as MP3, WAV or FLAC and this is accomplished using AlienBBC running as a plugin within slimserver.

Clover
2006-01-01, 22:59
Hi
TVM for your prompt reply! Sounds ideal; do you have any experience of using AlienBBC; how effective is it in practice?
best wishes Clover

danco
2006-01-02, 02:06
Works fine with Listen Again. There have been isues with Listen Live due to a problem with mplayer. I understand that these have been solved witth the latest version of mplayer, though this may depend on your OS.

Getting the bits of AlienBBC (some of which are third-party items) to work together properly to begin with is sometimes tricky, but it's fine once you've got it working, and people on the forums will help if you do have issues.

Belgo
2006-01-12, 18:05
Hi Danco/all,
I am a new user of sb3 and I have followed the instructions to download all the required programs such as mplayer, lame, etc. However, I still couldn't hear anything at all. The AlienBBC with radio info show on the web interface of the slimserver, There is no sound when I tried to select the radio stations.

However, I noticed that there is a note:mplayer not found on the web interface.

I would be very grateful if anyone could assist on this matter.

Many thanks.

bpa
2006-01-12, 18:19
More information would help.

What OS are you running e.g.Windows XP,Linux, OSX ?
What version of Slimserver, AlienBBC, Mplayer

The error message indicates that Mplayer is probably not installed in the right directory. Where did you install Mplayer ? Also where did you install the codecs ?

Does the standalone Mplayer test work ?

Belgo
2006-01-12, 18:32
Hi Bpa,

Below pls find the info required:

OS is Windows XP
Slimserver 6.2
AlienBBC 1.0
Mplayer from mplayer20051113.zip

Basically I followed all the instructions listed in the AlienBBC Instruction :-

Extract mplayer.exe to the folder "C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\Bin\MSWin32-x86-multi-thread"

Extract cook3260.dll, atrc3260.dll, sipr3260.dll and pncrt.dll to the folder "C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\Bin\MSWin32-x86-multi-thread\codecs"

The test of standalone mplayer on cmd line is fine. I can hear BBC radio4.

But not on the SB3.

Please let me know if you need more info.

Thanks alot.

bpa
2006-01-13, 05:42
The directories look ok - if the error message about mplayer still appears then make sure the file is called "mplayer.exe" and it is executable and accessible (i.e. to check - cd to the "MSWin32-x86-multi-thread" directory and type mplayer at the prompt).

Since the standalone test works there may be a premissions or firewall issues. See if there is any difference if you stop slimserver from the systray and start it from a cmd window as follows.

1) stop the server
2) open a cmd windows [start, run, type "cmd" return]
3) cd c:\Program Files\SlimServer\server
4) slim --d_source

Some messages will appear in cmd window - note any errors.
Check if Mplayer error messages appears in the AlienBBC web page.

Belgo
2006-01-13, 07:19
Hi Bpa,

I followed your instruction to run mplayer at the cmd line and there was no error message at all.

Then I started the slimserver again and it recognized the mplayer!! And it works! Thank you so much!

Can I seek another advice from you? I have downloaded the true font type as suggested from the 'Getting Started' web page for Japanese and Chinese characters (as I got some Japanese and Chinese songs collection). However, the sb3 and slimserver couldn't display any of these characters.

Once again I would be very grateful if you could point me to the right direction.

Many thanks.

bpa
2006-01-13, 07:39
Mplayer/AlienBBC is my area of limited expertise. However you should search the forums for "japanese" or "Chinese". One recent thread seem to indicate that a bug was fixed in 6.2.2

I suggest download & install 6.2.2 from here:
http://www.slimdevices.com/dev_nightly.html

6.2.2 is 6.2.1 with latest bug fixes - it is stable.

If that doesn't help - post a question on the general discussion forum - give as much details as possible.