PDA

View Full Version : slim server does not connect with firewall on

smurfk1
2005-12-31, 20:41
I am having some major issues with my new SqueezeBox 3 and SlimServer. Although I can connect fine when all of the security on my wireless router is off, I cannot connect and maintain a secure network.

Here are some basics:
Running the latest Server version on Mac OS X (10.4.x)
OS firewall is off.

Linksys Wireless G Broadband Router (WTR54G)
Connects fine when wireless securiy is disabled.
Network connects via WPA2/Personal (AES) but server will not connect.

I've entered the port 3484 and 9000 under the linksys tab appications & gaming / port range forward.

Still no go.

I read a few things about static vs. dynamic ip addressing, but the results are both failures with security on.

I like the idea behind the squeezebox, but so far, connecting it has been a major pain.

Any ideas?

thanks much!

snarlydwarf
2005-12-31, 22:03
I am having some major issues with my new SqueezeBox 3 and SlimServer. Although I can connect fine when all of the security on my wireless router is off, I cannot connect and maintain a secure network.

Okay, so you have a security issue.

Linksys Wireless G Broadband Router (WTR54G)
Connects fine when wireless securiy is disabled.
Network connects via WPA2/Personal (AES) but server will not connect.

I don't understand that last sentence... what is 'network connects'?

I've entered the port 3484 and 9000 under the linksys tab appications & gaming / port range forward.

You shouldn't need to do that: that's for forwarding between the internet and the local hosts. Your router should have a port that is designed to be plugged into a cable or dsl modem, and then ports that are for your local network. Port forwarding is so that systems that come from the 'internet' connection get forwarded to local machines -- local traffic shouldn't be touched by it.

I read a few things about static vs. dynamic ip addressing, but the results are both failures with security on.

Right, which is the real problem. Try WPA/TKIP -- the WPA2/AES seems to have lots of issues for some people.

Also make sure your keys match exactly -- spaces count, use the 'Play' button on the remote to delete characters, don't just space over typos.

smurfk1
2006-01-01, 12:39
Sorry about the confusion. The SqueezeBox claims that it has connected to the wireless router (at least it get's past that stage) then fails to find the slimserver.

I tried using WPA Personal (TKIP) but that didn't change anything. I also disabled the port changes that I made (frankly, I don't even know if I entered them in the right place)

So here's exacty what happens when I try to set up the network:
1. connect to a wireless network
2. local region - usa
3. Choose you wireless network (ssid) - MyNetwork
4. wireless encryption - WPA Personal
5. WPA Password - MyPassword
6. connecting to wireless network....
7. Obtain IP address automatically (DHCP)
8. obtaining IP adress....
9. 192.168.1.100
10. select music source - 192.168.1.100
11. connecting to slimserver....
12. can't connect to slimserver

this happens over and over and will only work when I turn off all security in step 4.

Thanks again for your help!

snarlydwarf
2006-01-01, 13:40
7. Obtain IP address automatically (DHCP)
8. obtaining IP adress....
9. 192.168.1.100

Okay, so it got an IP...

10. select music source - 192.168.1.100

Ah, there's the problem... assuming you typed the numbers right: you want the IP of your PC there. The router gave .100 to the Squeezebox -- if it's the same IP as your PC the router is broken and shouldn't do that.

11. connecting to slimserver....
12. can't connect to slimserver

Right, because if the numbers are correct above, it's trying to connect to itself for music, which won't work.

this happens over and over and will only work when I turn off all security in step 4.

Does it get a different IP then? And find the PC then on a different IP?

I can't think of any reason why changing encryption on/off would affect this, other than that the router DHCP imnplementation may.. suck. (Ie, it -should- ping an IP before it gives one out just to be sure that it didn't lose any clients when rebooting, and on many routers, a mini-reboot is done when you change some settings like encryption.)

smurfk1
2006-01-01, 16:02
I got it to work!

I think the answer was using WPA instead of WPA2. I can't be sure about the IP address issue, but it's possible that the slimserver wasn't running at the time I recorded the steps. My bad!

Anyway, thanks again for your help!

:)