PDA

View Full Version : Wired or Wireless Version

anthement
2005-12-30, 14:39
Although I do have a wireless network running through my house, I am looking at connecting an SB3 via Ethernet that communicates to the server software running on a NAS (Linkstation) also connected via Ethernet. I will want to control the SB3 wirelessly (via the web interface on my Crestron touchpanels). My question is this possible with the "wired only" version of the SB3 (the NAS storage is accessible through my wireless network, what I'm not sure is if the SB3 will also need to have the wireless network access for this control to work).

Thanks,
AE

JJZolx
2005-12-30, 14:58
Although I do have a wireless network running through my house, I am looking at connecting an SB3 via Ethernet that communicates to the server software running on a NAS (Linkstation) also connected via Ethernet. I will want to control the SB3 wirelessly (via the web interface on my Crestron touchpanels). My question is this possible with the "wired only" version of the SB3 (the NAS storage is accessible through my wireless network, what I'm not sure is if the SB3 will also need to have the wireless network access for this control to work).
Do you have a wireless router or access point? If so, that will work. The SB just needs either type of connection to your network. If you have a wireless access point, the wireless devices communicate through the AP on the network - they don't establish wireless connections with one another. The exception to this is if you're using ad-hoc (or "peer to peer") wireless networking, without a WAP, which not many people do.