PDA

View Full Version : Scrolling Display

vhs
2005-12-30, 12:01
When the SB3 display scrolls it shows TrackNum, Artist and Title. But I get repeats separated by ampersands e.g.

3. The Who & The Who & The Who - Squeezebox

Was the interface designed by public service employees who like everything in triplicate? Is there a fix?

Viv

Siduhe
2005-12-30, 12:11
If you go into Title Format, what option do you have selected ? On the web interface, click Settings on the Player side of the page (right).

If you select something like "Title - Artist - Album" there shouldn't be any "&" on the display.
Could you have picked a title format that has ampersands in it ?

Otherwise, it could be a tag issue. The display simply reports back what is written in the tags in a preset order. Try checking your tags in a program like Tag and Rename to see if they've been tagged with ampersands.

kdf
2005-12-30, 12:58
On 30-Dec-05, at 11:01 AM, vhs wrote:

>
> When the SB3 display scrolls it shows TrackNum, Artist and Title. But I
> get repeats separated by ampersands e.g.
>
> 3. The Who & The Who & The Who - Squeezebox
>
>
Check your tags. you may find that artist, band and some other tag all
have "The Who".
By default, slimserver will show all contributors joined by an
ampersand.

also, what version of the server are you running?

-kdf

vhs
2005-12-30, 17:02
I'm using version 6.2.1 of SlimServer. Not sure what you mean by tags but in iTunes, selecting Get Info shows the artist only once and not repeated by e.g. singer composer etc. However, the music player side of SlimServer shows several repeats of the artist name, separated by commas, not ampersands.

Can't see any settings function on the right side - music player.

Any more ideas?

Thanks

Viv

Siduhe
2005-12-30, 17:32
Tags are bits of information coded into the music file (Artist name, Title, Track no etc) which are read by whichever application plays them, whether it's Itunes, Slimserver or WMP.

When you rip your music to mp3, the tags are set as part of the process. It sounds like yours have gone a bit awry. Do you rip your mp3s using Itunes ?

You need to get a tag editing program (I use Tag and Rename) and load the files up into that and follow the instructions to update the tags.

You can also use Windows Media Player if you like which is a bit easier, though not as powerful. Select the problem files, right click on the file name and select "Advanced Tag Editor". If the Title etc aren't right, correct them and press OK.

Then rescan your Music Library and see if the tags are corrected.

kdf
2005-12-30, 17:41
On 30-Dec-05, at 4:02 PM, vhs wrote:

>
> I'm using version 6.2.1 of SlimServer. Not sure what you mean by tags
> but in iTunes, selecting Get Info shows the artist only once and not
> repeated by e.g. singer composer etc. However, the music player side of
> SlimServer shows several repeats of the artist name, separated by
> commas, not ampersands.
>
yes, the web uses commas, the player UI uses ampersands. I looked it up
in the code.

What you have is multiple contributors in the tags. "Tags" is a
general term for the metadata added to a music file to provide extra
info about the file, such as title, album, artist, band, performer,
composer, etc. Slimserver tracks many types of "contributor", which
includes artist, band, performer, etc. I can only guess that if you
have used iTunes to rip these tracks, that iTunes has inserted this
info and keeps it hidden in some attempt to avoid confusion (pushing it
onto others, really)

These are some settings in the behaviour section to remove the
composer, band etc from the artist listings. I can't remember if this
has any effect on the way contributors are listed in the title formats.
It is also worth trying 6.2.2 nightly builds when you try playing with
these settings, as you then get the latest of all fixes in this area.

-kdf

vhs
2005-12-31, 04:57
I'm using m4a files not mp3. iTunes doesn't seem to add additional tag information - I downloaded Tag and Rename and it doesn't show multiple instances of the artist as composer, copyright etc.

Seems that Slimserver fills the available spaces with repetitive artist text and then shows it on the SB3 screen regardless of settings. I don't want to use the beta software and plan to stick with 6.2.1 until the next official version is announced.

May have to stay with my echoing display for a bit longer ...

Viv & Viv & Viv :-(

vhs
2005-12-31, 05:51
and another thing has now become apparent: when I select "Browse Artists" in the left hand pane of SlimServer, each artist appears 4 times over. This can't be tag files - more like a problem with the Slim indexing system.

I've tried rescanning music. Must find out how to rebuild the index.

Viv

Siduhe
2005-12-31, 06:50
See this earlier thread. May help. It really does sound like a tag issue to me but I'm far from an expert on these things.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=16971&highlight=multiple+artists

To rescan the entire database, go to Server Settings in the web interface and change the Rescan drop down box to "Clear Library and rescan everything". Will take a bit of time.

To rebuild the index, stop slimserver, delete your slimserversql.db file in server\Cache folder and restart slimserver. It will do a full rescan on start up.

vhs
2005-12-31, 10:11
Done it and just in time for New Year's Eve too. You guessed correctly that I had to do a proper rescan and not just new music. No need to touch the index and nothing to do with tags as it turned out.

Thanks for the bright ideas.

Happy New Year

Viv