PDA

View Full Version : WMA Lossless

liv
2005-12-29, 22:31
This is a 2 part question. Does anyone have any insight on whether the squeezebox will handle WMA lossless without a conversion to WAV or FLAC. I noticed high CPU usage on WMADEC under windows XP (approx 35% CPU Cel 333 O/C 450).... this seems a little too high. I expected native WMA support to handle Lossless but that was not the case..... any insight to when/if WMA lossless will be native (no conversion to flac) and whether the codec will be performance tuned to a reasonable CPU% (ie WMA 35% FLAC 5%)....????

Liv

funkstar
2005-12-30, 04:11
Personally i wouldn't hold my breath for native WMA Lossless. the SB3 already has native lossless support (through FLAC) and there is additional licensing costs for WMA Lossless. The only time i can see this happening is if download services start selling lossless tracks with DRM, which isn't likely to start happening any time soon.

liv
2006-01-04, 17:56
BUMP..

Here's a WMA Lossless music service...

www.musicgiants.com

I also would expect more on the horizon.

So I guess I need to ask the question again

1. are there any planned performance enhancements for WMADEC
2. will WMA Lossless be supported through the Squeezebox without a conversion to FLAC

Thanks
Liv

Yannzola
2006-01-04, 18:21
1. are there any planned performance enhancements for WMADEC
2. will WMA Lossless be supported through the Squeezebox without a conversion to FLAC

Thanks
Liv

On second thought.... =do= hold your breath, Liv. :P

liv
2006-01-04, 18:49
do you think it's reasonable to expect performance enhancements on WMADEC???? I realize the above mentioned service is way over priced ... I wouldn't pay those prices.

seanadams
2006-01-04, 19:13
We don't have any immediate plans for WMA lossless but of course it's on the "nice to have" list. The 35% cpu usage for WMAL also strikes me as too high, especially given that FLAC _encoding_ is only 5% on the same machine.

I expect we'd be dependent on Microsoft to fix that, but of course we should check if we're burning excess CPU in wmadec...