PDA

View Full Version : SB3 connecting to netgear router problem

AndyP
2005-12-29, 14:53
Hi all,

I'm hoping some kind soul can help me. Lucky me had a SB3 for christmas, but I am havinging problems setting it up. I'm trying to connect wireless through a netgear WGT624 router. The SB3 finds the SSID (NETGEAR) no problem, I'm using 62 bit WEP (don't laugh), get the connected message, however when it trys to get an IP address automatically from DHCP it returns 169.254.117.104 which I believe is a default if it dosn't get one from DHCP, and then it can't find slimserver. What am I missing guys? bear in mind that I have an SB2 upstairs that works fine through this router, though it did take ages and numerous re-boots to work with 6.2 on a 2K machine. Any help with this would be appreciated so I can "Ram" down my daughters throat that my SB3 looks better than her SB2!!!! I'll supply any other information that people need to help get it working. Thanks in anticipation.

gadgetgaz
2005-12-30, 17:18
This happens with my Netgear, I was wondering whether this was my WAN IP address that the router was defaulting to the SB3.
I chose to use a static IP address instead because I couldn't be bothered to sort it out. I prefer static IP addresses on my network anyway.

Michaelwagner
2005-12-31, 08:05
Any help with this would be appreciated so I can "Ram" down my daughters throat that my SB3 looks better than her SB2!!!!
My therapist always used to say that you can never win against your children.

Oh, that wasn't the sort of help you wanted? :-)

In that case, I highly recommend this page from the wiki for wireless router problems.
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?RouterStatus
It doesn't list your specific router, but similar sounding models have a note that says SB3s have problems connecting.

You could try consulting the person who wrote the note for more specifics, or you could nip out and buy one of the routers that works for both 2s and 3s (don't want to cut your daughter off, after all).

And add your results to the table as you find out more, please.

AndyP
2006-01-01, 11:43
Thanks to those who took the time to view my plea for help and to those who replied. I do now have both SB2 and SB3 working with my netgear WG624 router (in the nick of time as well, I was starting to wonder how far I could punt an SB3 over the neighbours fence!!) This was due to browsing this forum and accidently coming across a thread that contained a reply from "selecttouch" which contained the following :-

"I had the same problem,[Netgear WGT624] and on the advice of Sean Adams, I checked for and disabled the router setting labled [disable advanced 108mbps settings] and it worked. There is probably a similar setting in other routers under different terminology."

As soon as this setting was "checked" to disable it, the SB3 responded to the DHCP, found "slimserver" and now works very nicely. Will now try and add this to wiki

Michaelwagner
2006-01-01, 11:55
Yeah. A lot of the "turbo" options (basically anything over 54Mb) are nonstandard extensions, often proprietary to the one manufacturer. Since they vary in how well they're thought out, sometimes they look like a regular option, the SB will be fooled into negotiating that option, and then finds out that the other end switches into talking what seems like gibberish to a "standard" 802.11G device.

AndyP
2006-01-02, 06:08
Yes, it all makes sense, these things usually do after the fact, the disappointing or worrying part is that our original SB2 was setup with this router (in fact I brought it specifically for the SB2) in less than 5 minutes and has been working for over 18 months with no problems at all. I get the new SB3 and it fails to work, yet the majority of threads say that the firmware is the same, you kinda expect the new SB3 to be backward compatible. Working in I.T I was fairly comfortable in accessing the router and playing around with the settings, though I never suspected that setting or even knew what it was, so what "joe public" would think or how he/she would get on I don't know.
On another note it took a few attempts to get the SB2 to talk to slimserver 6.2, with a few factory resets, and un-installing and re-installing 6.2 with re-boots and re-setting your firewall got it going, so for those with problems - persevere (...and the swearing, boy was there swearing!!!)

Michaelwagner
2006-01-02, 07:41
Yeah, I've heard many times that the SB2 and SB3 are the same.

I think the wired SB2 and SB3 are the same, but there's some difference in the wireless support between the two. I'm not sure, because I haven't got one to take apart, never mind one of each, but judging by the number of differences in wireless behaviour that we see here on the forums, I'm pretty sure there's some difference.

If I had to guess, I'd guess that the SB2s didn't even try to handshake those turbo options, and the SB3s are being seduced into trying (and failing).

radish
2006-01-02, 09:22
Yeah, I've heard many times that the SB2 and SB3 are the same.

I think the wired SB2 and SB3 are the same, but there's some difference in the wireless support between the two. I'm not sure, because I haven't got one to take apart, never mind one of each, but judging by the number of differences in wireless behaviour that we see here on the forums, I'm pretty sure there's some difference.

If I had to guess, I'd guess that the SB2s didn't even try to handshake those turbo options, and the SB3s are being seduced into trying (and failing).

I believe that there were two different wireless cards used in the SB2. Later model SB2's will be identical to SB3, but some people have the earlier one which has a different card, hence some upgraders are reporting problems where none would be expected.