PDA

View Full Version : Must be something I'm doing wrong...

TonyP
2005-12-29, 07:49
My wife very kindly bought me two new wireless Squeezeboxes for Christmas. All set-up with little hassle only problem is I can't get them to play for any time at all - they either drop out constantly or stop mid track. The thing I have noticed having spent some hours trying to get these beautiful looking things to work is that I cannot get more than 40% network strength. This is all the more strange because I have put my laptop in the same locations and get close to 90% network strength (in fact the laptop works fine without problem using SoftSqueeze). Is there anything I can do? (I am running a Draytek Vigor 2800G router and the music is all ripped WMA lossless).

bishopdonmiguel
2005-12-29, 08:22
Sounds like you have a wireless issue. Couple of thoughts....

1. if possible, make a wired (direct) connection to your router. if the problem persists, the source of the issue is likely at the server (i.e. transcoding, cpu stress, etc). this seems unlikely since softsqueeze works. if the problem disappears, the issue is almost certainly one of interference.

2. change your wireless channel.

3. move the squeezeboxen.

Kyle
2005-12-29, 09:13
(I am running a Draytek Vigor 2800G router and the music is all ripped WMA lossless).

I'm no expert, but I wonder if flac would be a better format? With a possibly shaky network connection, you would be transmitting far less data. I use flac and rarely run into a problem with a 40% connection.

TonyP
2005-12-29, 17:19
Thanks for the speedy responses the changing of channel on the router has had some improvement I am also trying to look at the FLAC idea any tips on where to read up on it as it is a format I was unaware of?

funkstar
2005-12-30, 04:01
there is plenty of info on these boards, just search about a little. Try the Ripping and Audiophile forums along with this one.

bishopdonmiguel
2005-12-30, 07:59
> the music is all ripped WMA lossless

WMA Lossless isn't natively supported by SB3. SlimServer is probably transcoding it to WAV (I can't remember the default settings). If so, I think this would send a good deal of traffic over your wireless connection and it may be responsible for your dropouts. You might try changing the transcoding to another format to see if that improves things.

avta
2005-12-30, 11:06
TonyP:

The best tutorial I've found that addresses the use of a program called Exact Audio Copy (EAC) is at: http://users.pandora.be/satcp/eac-qs-en.htm It describes how to "rip" cd's and compress them to flac files.

Also, many problems with wireless transmission arise from firewalls. For example, Zone Alarm Pro often causes problems but regular Zone Alarm doesn't. You might try disabling any firewalls and see what happens. Good luck.

Guy

TonyP
2005-12-30, 16:03
Thanks for the tips I am running Zone Alarm Pro so I'll check that out. What formats are natively supported by SqueezeBox?

gadgetgaz
2005-12-30, 17:11
I can agree with Kyle's post. I use flac and have no problems even when the wireless strength is less than 30%

bishopdonmiguel
2005-12-30, 19:04
> What formats are natively supported by SqueezeBox?

For SB3, I think the native formats are AIFF, FLAC, MP3, WAV, and WMA (not lossless). If you are having bandwidth issues, uncompressed WAV might be overload. You might try MP3 for now just to see if it helps but FLAC is probably a good long-term solution. Look in server settings for the current settings.

Michaelwagner
2005-12-30, 22:54
This page http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?RouterStatus lists a problem with a different model of the Draytek. Might be worth checking out for possible similarities (either of the problem or the fix).

TonyP
2005-12-31, 15:24
Thanks for that but I'm fairly certain my problems are not directly with the Draytek otherwise my laptop would not work as well. I am going to try converting some of my music to FLAC and maybe mp3 to see if that makes things improve. I have to say though I am quite shocked by the number of problems I and it appears others, judging by the posts, are having. I have not, as yet, managed to play a whole album through. Also this bug where the device pukes and looses its MAC address and settings is affecting me at least once a day ! All very frustrating as the software is great and via my laptop works like a dream...!!!!

Michaelwagner
2005-12-31, 15:48
I'm fairly certain my problems are not directly with the Draytek otherwise my laptop would not work as well.
Not necessarily. Some wireless problems are specific to the chip sets at each end. Some don't play nice with each other. You laptop could (probably does) have a different chip set than the squeezebox.

ilancas
2006-01-02, 07:57
I have a Draytek 2600G router and it works fine with my SB3 - BUT I haven't tried with with WPA.