PDA

View Full Version : Problem with intermittent pauses during playback

Tourne
2005-12-29, 06:17
Hi

I have a problem with pauses during playback, which seems to have started happening since I upgraded the server to v.6.2. Every so often, maybe 2 or 3 times an hour, the playback of a track will pause, usually for about a second or two, but sometimes longer. Then the music resumes, but from slighlty before where it paused, so that a few notes are repeated.

I have an older slimp3 player, with server version 6.2.1 running on a Mac mini, OS 10.4.3, 1.25 gHz, 512mb ram. I use iTunes for the music library but the bulk of the actual MP3 files are on a external USB HD. My iTunes reload interval is set to 60,000 seconds. The Mac mini is not used for anything except to run the music server.

Anyone have any idea where the problem might lie and what I can do about it?

cheers

Tourne

macdaddy
2005-12-29, 12:01
Hi

I have a problem with pauses during playback, which seems to have started happening since I upgraded the server to v.6.2. Every so often, maybe 2 or 3 times an hour, the playback of a track will pause, usually for about a second or two, but sometimes longer. Then the music resumes, but from slighlty before where it paused, so that a few notes are repeated.

I have an older slimp3 player, with server version 6.2.1 running on a Mac mini, OS 10.4.3, 1.25 gHz, 512mb ram. I use iTunes for the music library but the bulk of the actual MP3 files are on a external USB HD. My iTunes reload interval is set to 60,000 seconds. The Mac mini is not used for anything except to run the music server.

Anyone have any idea where the problem might lie and what I can do about it?

cheers

Tourne

I have a similar problem. I use a Powerbokk w/Airport Extreme. At first I thought the problem was because I use a Roku Siundbridge, but have come to conclusion it is a buffer issue. IThe problem s ore severe n .AAC files or those rcordd tigher than 128. I have thought about sing LAME to stream as .MP3, but hdon't knw how to install it.

Randall
2005-12-29, 12:57
Same issue here, and I fixed it by loading the same version of slimserver on a faster computer... the only difference is that I have 6 squeezeboxes running all of the time. It even made scrolling around way faster.

martinfowler
2005-12-29, 16:12
I've been getting similar things too on my slimp3s (I mostly listen to them this time of year so might not notice if similar things happen to my squeezeboxen). The pausing is very intermittant, it can not happen for hours, then happens several times in a few minutes.

My configuration: Server is Celeron P4 with 512 MB memory running Debain stable. Slimserver is subversion 6-2-2 BRANCH_6_2_x (rev 5427). Players are 2 slimp3, sb1, sb2. All but one is wired. I stream mp3s. Slimp3s are firmware 2.3. Library size ~10K songs. Slimserver usually sits at less than 2% of CPU and 10% of memory. Not much other load on server machine.

macdaddy
2005-12-29, 18:55
I have been looking for a couple of days for info on how to install LAME as I thought it might solve my problem (which is similar to the one described in this thread). I found it! See http://slimdevices.com/su_faq.html#troubleshooting-aacwireless. I downloaded LAME as per the instructions and have no more problems with st . .st . .stut . . stutering. Give it a try. Good luck.

Triode
2005-12-30, 04:01
Tourne,

Assuming your network is OK and that you are streaming over a wired connection to the slimp3 [no wireless bridges?], it sounds like lack of response from the server.

What does the "Server Response Time" graph in the Server and Network Health web page of the Help section show. [as you have slimp3s, much of the diagnostics for the player is not covered by this, but the basic server diagnositics should]. Set the player playing and reset the counters, then look at this graph after you have experienced drop outs - what's the maximum response time?

Tourne
2005-12-30, 07:22
Thanks for the suggestion Triode, I hadn't even spotted that that option existed.

I let it play for an hour or two and the graph showed 85% of the responses at < 0.002 seconds, but there were 10 responses in the >5 seconds range. Immediately after one of the pauses, the max reponse time showed as 11.98 seconds.

Not sure why that should be since the machine isn't doing anything else at all. Is there anything I can do about that to improve the response time?

cheers

Tourne.

PS. Yes, it is a wired connection and the network seems fine otherwise.

Tourne,

Assuming your network is OK and that you are streaming over a wired connection to the slimp3 [no wireless bridges?], it sounds like lack of response from the server.

What does the "Server Response Time" graph in the Server and Network Health web page of the Help section show. [as you have slimp3s, much of the diagnostics for the player is not covered by this, but the basic server diagnositics should]. Set the player playing and reset the counters, then look at this graph after you have experienced drop outs - what's the maximum response time?

Triode
2005-12-30, 08:01
OK that suggests the problem is with the server.

There are two possible causes:
1) Other application hogging the server CPU for this time. I suspect this is unlikely for the time period you are seeing [but not impossible]

2) Something in slimserver/a plugin taking a long time to complete and blocking the server from responding to player requests.

Assuming 2. What do the timer and (if they exist) scheduler graphs below the Response time graph show?

Could you disable all plugins and see if the same performance problem occurs.

Randall
2005-12-30, 08:05
If it helps, I've got six wired SB2's connected to a linksys 16 port hub and talking to a Dell P3 550 256MB RAM. It works like a champ. They constantly tick RSS if not in use, but in use, 6 play independently without skipping. Scrolling through the songs are fast and very responsive.

Before, I had them running on a compaq p2 450 with 256MB RAM. Some reason, none of them could hold a steady song at any time. Scrolling would lock up for more than 5 seconds at a time.

Back to the P3 550. It's a very clean server, just file sharing, no other services except for a black ice firewall.

After moving to a cleaner server, I am a firm beleiver of
1. Hardware requirements
2. Clean server - no major services running to compete with CPU.

Michaelwagner
2005-12-30, 08:13
It isn't surprising that, if there is a performance problem, the SLiMP3s show it first - they have the smallest buffer. Not that that's any consolation to the person who's having the problem, but that's a factor.

Tourne: you mentioned you're running 6.2.1 and iTunes. I believe I saw about a week ago a posting that the (then) most recent versions of 6.2.2 had some patches for iTunes performance issues. You might try upgrading to a recent nightly version. If you go to this page:
http://www.slimdevices.com/dev_nightly.html
and install the 6.2.2 version, you may see your performance problem improve. If not, come back and tell us about it.

martinfowler: you said you're running 6.2.2 but 5427. I'd say more or less the same advice - get a more current copy of 6.2.2. They've made a number of performance mods in the last 2 weeks or so (I have 5440 at home and it's over a week old I think). Then if you're still seeing the problem, go to the network health screen and tell us what you see there. Triode is an expert on that screen and can help a lot.

Good luck, gents.

martinfowler
2006-01-01, 11:04
I updated to svn 5482 a couple of days ago and had no more pauses. I'm not completely comfortable, since it was several days after the last update before I got the pauses happening, but I thought I'd let you know that so far all is ok. I'll let you know if anything changes.

Michaelwagner
2006-01-01, 11:57
5482 is 6.5.5?

martinfowler
2006-01-02, 07:47
I'm on subversion 6-2-2 BRANCH_6_2_x (mentioned earlier on up the thread)

Michaelwagner
2006-01-02, 07:50
I was just surprised at how high the numbers had gotten the last few days. I'm running 5448 from only a few days ago. How quickly we get out of date :-)