PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Freezes

samlw
2005-12-28, 15:51
Hi all,

I've got a brand new Squeezebox 2 connected via wireless Airport to an Airport Extreme base station in the next room. Signal strength is at 80%+.

Several times now, the Squeezebox has frozen up hard such that only pulling the power plug will bring it back. It is totally unresponsive to the remote control.

Initially, this seemed to be linked to browsing the web interface while the Squeezebox was playing. More recently, the Squeezebox has frozen up in the middle of playing a song, and nobody was accessing it at the time. (The web browser was not even running).

The display is stuck with the name (and graphical frequency display) of the song that was playing when the freeze occurred.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems? Do I have a bad unit?

Thanks,

Sam

LavaJoe
2005-12-28, 18:37
Were you using (>>) and/or (<<) keys in one of the skins (e.g. Fishbone) when it happened? I found a way to failthfully make this happen using those buttons during playback. As a workaround, the Fishbone skin's author changed the commands send by those buttons recently. See my bug for more info: http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2705

You could be running into the same issue I was by doing something different - it is unknown if that was the only way to trigger it. Perhaps if you can reproduce this, it will help to debug the firmware, if indeed this is a player/firmware issue. If you do get a test case, please post it to the bug.

tass
2005-12-28, 20:15
I get a similar problem sometimes while playing internet radio.
Granted, the server is usually very bogged down with extra work and doesn't have much RAM, but it's not the server that freezes AFAIK.

Rather than pulling the power, you can hold the power button down on the remote for a few seconds until it resets. Doing this resets it and makes it go again for me.

LavaJoe
2005-12-28, 20:51
I get a similar problem sometimes while playing internet radio.
Granted, the server is usually very bogged down with extra work and doesn't have much RAM, but it's not the server that freezes AFAIK.

Rather than pulling the power, you can hold the power button down on the remote for a few seconds until it resets. Doing this resets it and makes it go again for me.

In my hang, holding power had no effect. The SB3 was frozen solid, and only pulling the power plug revived it.

samlw
2005-12-28, 22:46
In my hang, holding power had no effect. The SB3 was frozen solid, and only pulling the power plug revived it.
Same with me. As I said, the SB is completely unresponsive to the remote when the freeze occurs. And nobody was accessing it at the time it froze, either via remote or via the web interface. It was simply playing an album. During the 12th track, it just stopped - frozen solid. I let it sit for an hour before finally pulling the power cord, after which it started back up instantly and began playing right where it had left off when it had frozen up an hour before...

samlw
2006-01-04, 13:29
A follow-up to my initial post...

I believe there was a conflict with a 2.4GHz cordless phone used in the vicinity of the Squeezebox. After changing the channel used by my Airport Base Station to a fixed channel (as opposed to automatic), the freezes seem to have cleared up.

Of course, this does raise the question of how robust the Squeezebox's behavior is when it encounters radio interference. I can understand the signal dropping and needing to be reaquired. But for the unit to just lock up hard and require power cycling seems pretty extreme. Anyone else encounter this?

Eserim
2006-01-04, 19:08
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2602

So, yes to your question :-) Not sure if this is exactly the same behaviour as your report, but sounds similar.

Eserim