PDA

View Full Version : Stream Over Internet: Ogg Not Working

logicology
2005-12-28, 12:17
Hello all,

I just got a squeezebox and have been playing with it nonstop. I am trying to also stream my music collection from Slimserver through WinAmp at work. I noticed that if I try to stream my OGGs, WinAmp never gets the stream, and the Slimserver stops playing after 8-10 seconds. I thought it may have been a firewall issue or network setting, but if I stream an MP3, that does not happen and I get the stream as expected.

So in short: MP3s stream over the internet fine / OGGs do not stream over the internet at all.

Is this a bug, limitation, or an incorrect setting somewhere?

Thanks,
Logic

Maditude
2005-12-28, 16:17
Hello all,
So in short: MP3s stream over the internet fine / OGGs do not stream over the internet at all.

Is this a bug, limitation, or an incorrect setting somewhere?

It's a limitation of your upstream bandwidth, and the fact that OGG is decoded on the server and streamed, rather than being decoded on the squeezebox!

Luckily, it's easily remedied:

Open a browser to your slimserver, select your player, and in the player-settings, click the audio link. Towards the bottom, there's a bit-rate limiting option. If chosen, and you have LAME installed, it'll convert the OGG to MP3 and stream that (at the desired bit-rate).

Maditude
2005-12-28, 16:22
> Open a browser to your slimserver, select your player

Hmmm, just noticed that you're using WinAmp at work. I don't know if that will show up as a "player" in the slimserver web interface. You might want to give SoftSqueeze a shot. (Less clunky, imho, than trying to use the webinterface to choose what songs to play, with the added bonus of getting you used to the remote-control).

At any rate, you don't want to change your bit-rate settings for your hardware squeezebox, as that will just make it unnecessarily degrade the audio.

logicology
2005-12-28, 20:18
Excellent! Thanks for your help. Winamp does show up as a player on the slimserver. I'll experiment with what you said, and I'll also try Softsqueeze.