PDA

View Full Version : SB1 to SB3?

paltomare
2005-12-28, 11:42
Hello all, I am considering replacing my SB1 with an SB3 and have a few questions. First, a brief description of my system. All songs on a Buffalo Linkstation wired a wireless router. The SB1 is also wired to the wireless router and conencted to a Rotel pre/pro with an optical connection. I am running a recent build of 6.2.2 on an XP laptop connected wirelessly to the router(802.11b).

1. Will I have better playback of flac files? Mp3s play fine but I get many dropouts with flac files. Also, Slimserver gives me a page not found error when playing flacs, requiring a refresh.

2. Will the sync to the pre/pro be more stable? I get many dropouts even though the SB1 buffer reads full. Also, the beginning of each song is cut off. (This second problem does not occur with an analog connection to the pre/pro.)

3. Must the SqueezeNetwork site be up and running to connect to internet streams without my laptop or will the SB3 connect directly to the streaming site similar to a Roku?

Thanks for your reply.
Paul

funkstar
2005-12-29, 04:20
1. Will I have better playback of flac files? Mp3s play fine but I get many dropouts with flac files. Also, Slimserver gives me a page not found error when playing flacs, requiring a refresh.
Probably. I'm assuming that FLAC files are being transcoded to WAV, so with an SB2/3 you will have a larger buffer and the music will use less buffer space.

2. Will the sync to the pre/pro be more stable? I get many dropouts even though the SB1 buffer reads full. Also, the beginning of each song is cut off. (This second problem does not occur with an analog connection to the pre/pro.)
sorry, i can't answer this one

3. Must the SqueezeNetwork site be up and running to connect to internet streams without my laptop or will the SB3 connect directly to the streaming site similar to a Roku?
Yes, SqueezeNetwork needs to be online