PDA

View Full Version : Feature Request: Random Mix profiles by player

tonymcc
2005-12-27, 18:19
I love the new Random Mix selector, but I have 3 players that have different "use cases". The living room gets played on ALL my collection, the garage player is just for me so I have a narrower, but still wide genre list and the bedroom player is mostly for quiet night time listening.

It would be way cool to be able to specify Random Mix genre list by player rather than server wide...

--Thanks! great job
--Tony

Philip Meyer
2005-12-29, 10:41
>It would be way cool to be able to specify Random Mix genre list by
>player rather than server wide...
>
I would like to ask for one step further than this.

Depending on my mood, I sometimes listen to quiet background music (eg. genres such as ambient, chill out, electronic, new age, etc). At other times I listen to rock, pop, grunge, etc. My wife listens to R&B, reggae, pop, etc (yuck!).

We both use both squeezeboxes at various times, and both need to select different genres for the random mix. There are currently quite a few genres in my collection (90 ish), but I'm currently trying to reduce this, because changing the genre selection list each time is too much of a pain.

It would therefore be nice to be able to set up groups of genres (more like moods I suppose).

I think the steps would be something like:
1. Select the genres (eg. "Rock", "Prog Rock", "Grunge" and "Alt-Rock").
2. Save the selection to a mood profile name (could be anything, eg. "Phil's Rock genres").

Then when selecting genres from a player for a random mix, the user can select from a list of stored mood profiles ("All", "None" could be hard-coded mood profiles, and "Custom" would be used to configure a new genre - step 1).

Perhaps the last chosen mood profile could be remembered per-player (in the future if SlimServer gets user personas, the mood profile could be remembered per-user).

Phil

ceejay
2005-12-29, 11:36
One way of achieving such an effect would be to use multiple values for the genre field, assuming you are not using MP3s (ie something with inflexible ID3 tagging).

You could then have a "Genre" of "PhilsRockGenres" (not sure if you'd get away with punctuation or not), and you could then tag the Genre of an Album as something like

"PhilsRockGenres;Rock" or "PhilsRockGenres;Grunge"

Better still, you can have as many as you like, so the same album could be classified as several of your base Genres (Rock, Grunge etc) AND several of your mood genres.

I use this technique for tagging classical music and it works very well (e.g. "Classical;Romantic;Concerto;Piano")

Alternatively have a look at the enhancement requests posted at http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=18946, in particular http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2700 which would, among other things, make this sort of thing easier.

I note your comment about trying to reduce the number of genres in use- I agree, this is a good idea if you are going to use genres for browsing, its too easy to end up with a hundred or more and I personally thinks thats too many. Paradoxically, I think the multiple-genre technique actually helps to reduce the number, because you don't have to try to cater for the crossover cases (no need for Folk-Rock... call it Folk;Rock ... ok thats not a great example but I'm sure you get the idea)

Ceejay

max.spicer
2005-12-31, 11:51
I originally wrote this to be player specific, but changed it to be server wide after feedback from users and Dean. Feel free to create a bug for this and get people to vote - it wouldn't be terribly hard to change it back, but would take a bit of thought to get the web ui sensible.

Max

I love the new Random Mix selector, but I have 3 players that have different "use cases". The living room gets played on ALL my collection, the garage player is just for me so I have a narrower, but still wide genre list and the bedroom player is mostly for quiet night time listening.

It would be way cool to be able to specify Random Mix genre list by player rather than server wide...

--Thanks! great job
--Tony

Michaelwagner
2005-12-31, 12:46
A small nit to pick

One way of achieving such an effect would be to use multiple values for the genre field, assuming you are not using MP3s (ie something with inflexible ID3 tagging).
Only id3v1 had inflexible genres.
More modern id3 tags can have anything for a genre.
Including the semi-colon separator thing that slim supports.

ceejay
2005-12-31, 12:52
A small nit to pick

Only id3v1 had inflexible genres.
More modern id3 tags can have anything for a genre.
Including the semi-colon separator thing that slim supports.

Thanks for the clarification. One of the great things about diving into dialogues here is that you learn something new every time...

Ceejay.

tonymcc
2006-01-04, 22:27
I like the saved profiles concept. If they just looked like a playlist to the player with only a Genre list in them, then you would get the best of both worlds.

For the time being I am using the multi genre support to create a playlist of 'quiet' music, but I can't use the fast random mix and every time I add a new album I have to rebuild/update the play list.

ceejay
2006-01-05, 01:00
For the time being I am using the multi genre support to create a playlist of 'quiet' music, but I can't use the fast random mix and every time I add a new album I have to rebuild/update the play list.

Doesn't

Random Mix -> Select Genres to include -> (select just "quiet")

work for you?

Or were you trying to do something else?

Just curious...

Ceejay

davep
2006-01-05, 04:39
Another (although not free) way of doing this would be to use MusicMagicMixer which can have different settings for each player including the Filter setting. You then define your selection criteria in MMM and name these as a filter which is then assigned to your choice of player - (if you see what I mean).

Under Windows the new release 1.5 of MMM looks very good - still waiting for the Linux version.

davep

max.spicer
2006-01-06, 11:48
davep: I've just recognised your avatar, I think. Is that one of the pie jesu domine monks from Monty Python and the Holy Grail?

Max