PDA

View Full Version : Won't play to designated player

brothers
2005-12-26, 14:01
I have two players configured, an SB3 and a Nokia 770. I'm running SlimServer 6.2.1. In the default skin, if I select the SB3 on the player side, pull up an album on the music side, and hit the play arrow adjacent to "all songs", the player side switches to the 770, and tries to play on that.

Is this a bug, or a feature I don't understand?

- Dennis Brothers

Tim K
2005-12-27, 11:41
I'm having the same problem. I have 2 PC's in my house and I am trying to play different music on each of them streamed from my slimserver. No matter what I do, the slimserver interface adds all of the songs to the same player.

Michaelwagner
2005-12-27, 22:03
Sounds like a bug. It certainly doesn't work that way on my system. Tell us more about your system (OS, Slim server version, players, etc).

brothers
2005-12-27, 22:10
XP SP2, 6.2.1; SB3, SoftSqueeze on XP SP2 Tablet Edition, Nokia 770 Audio Player.

- Dennis Brothers

Michaelwagner
2005-12-27, 22:32
In your original post, you wrote:

In the default skin, if I select the SB3 on the player side, pull up an album on the music side, and hit the play arrow adjacent to "all songs", the player side switches to the 770, and tries to play on that.

Does this only happen if you hit play for an entire album, or does any play button do this?

Tim K
2005-12-28, 08:59
I'm not running a Squeezebox yet, just 3 PC's with Win XP or 2K. I have SlimServer running on my Desktop where all of the music is stored. If I open the slimserver page on the desktop and open Winamp on the desktop it runs fine. If I then open the slimserver page on my laptop and open winamp on my laptop, no matter what I do in slimserver on my laptop, it directs any song to the player on my desktop.

danco
2005-12-28, 09:27
It is possible that there is an issue with winamp in this situation, but I wouldn't know. Have you tried using Softsqueeze instead of winamp?

If one is using two genuine Squeezeboxes (or Softsqueeze), then top right of the Web page (where it says Music Player) there is a rather small pop-up menu from which one can choose the Squeezebox to use. That has worked fine for me, though other posts in this thread suggest that some people find this not working.

brothers
2005-12-28, 10:42
Don't know if it's significant, but the player it switches to is always a streaming device. It doesn't matter whether I try to play all songs or one, or to add all songs or one to the current playlist. It's basically impossible to control the SB3 from a web interface if I also have a streaming device.

- Dennis Brothers

Michaelwagner
2005-12-28, 11:28
Gee, I just tried this, and you're right!

More research necessary.

kdf
2005-12-28, 11:45
On 28-Dec-05, at 10:28 AM, Michaelwagner wrote:

>
> Gee, I just tried this, and you're right!
>
> More research necessary.
>
does the browser fully support javascript?
if not, then the script used to change all of the links for the correct
player could be crippled.

not all skins are using that method, however. some use the old way of
fully reloading the page/frames

-kdf

Michaelwagner
2005-12-28, 12:07
OK. More research has been done.
My browser is IE 6.0.2800.whatever

I'm using the default skin.

If you switch between SB1 and SB3 (my two hardware players), the links in the left pane are updated.

If I switch *to* the software player (winamp if it matters), the links on the left pane are updated.

If I switch *away* from the software player, the links are not updated. I have to hit refresh in the browser (which moves me back to Home in the left pane) to get the links corrected.

KDF, I think you know more about skins than I do. Is this correct behaviour? It sure doesn't seem to be. And it sure is confusing as hell.

Michaelwagner
2005-12-28, 12:10
So here's a bypass for now.

After you switch players, hit refresh in your browser.

That step (which shouldn't be necessary) will update the left pane until this gets fixed.

Unfortunately, it also tends to take you back to home, so if you had drilled down to some album track you really like, you may have to do it again.

Is either of you experienced enough to file a bug report? Or would you like me to do it?

In either case, you can add yourselfs to the CC list after the bug report is filed, so you can watch the progress of the fix.

brothers
2005-12-28, 12:50
Thanks much for the workaround - that'll keep me functioning 'til this is fixed.

I'm happy to let you file the bug report.

Thanks -
- Dennis Brothers

brothers
2005-12-28, 13:02
Whenever I hit Refresh, the player on the right switches to the streaming device, and I'm right back where I started.

- Dennis Brothers

Michaelwagner
2005-12-28, 13:08
So maybe we have 2 problems?

Refresh goes to the wrong player is a problem I think I've seen reported. Let me finish reporting the first bug and then I'll check for the second.

Michaelwagner
2005-12-28, 13:22
Here's the bug report
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2759
If you click on it and go to the CC section in the upper right corner you can add your email addresses to the list so you get notified when the status of the bug report changes.

Michaelwagner
2005-12-28, 13:40
Here is a thread about the other problem, with hitting refresh.
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=18757
I'm still not convinced this is "correct behaviour".

However
Type the following into your browser and then hit enter. Hit enter, NOT refresh.

It should work and change the "default" squeezebox for both left and right side.

http://localhost:9000/index.html?player=name

replace name with the name you gave to the hardware SB
(and replace localhost with the actual hostname if your server isn't running on the same computer with the browser).

Hope this helps. I'm feeling under the weather and am putting myself to bed now. We'll see what the boffins say when they've looked over the bug report.

Tim K
2005-12-28, 13:42
No matter which player I select from the drop box, the selected song or songs is always added to (or played in) the active player. I have tried refreshing both frames of the page (I use the default skin) before selecting and it doesn't help.

I'm running under Firefox, and I haven't tried in Explorer...not that it SHOULD matter.

Michaelwagner
2005-12-28, 13:44
Exactly. The bug is that the user interface generates the wrong instructions for the server to follow.

Try to use my bypass
index.html?player=nameofplayer
and see if that helps.

brothers
2005-12-28, 13:53
Type the following into your browser and then hit enter. Hit enter, NOT refresh.

It should work and change the "default" squeezebox for both left and right side.

http://localhost:9000/index.html?player=name

Yeah, I was going to try that next. Thanks again for your help, and thanks for reporting the bug.

- Dennis Brothers

pigFoot
2006-03-22, 18:24
I was seeing this issue on OS X with Firefox and Safari (using iTunes or XMMS as the streaming player). In addition the link to to Player Settings for the Squeezebox would have the ip address of the streaming player as the value for "player"; i.e.,

http://slimserver:9000/setup.html?page=player&player=<streaming player ip>&playerid=<squeezebox id>

After restarting slimserver the streaming player disappeared. I re-added the streaming player and haven't seen the issue again. Yet.