PDA

View Full Version : Improve SB3 buffering?

stoobie-doo
2005-12-24, 21:57
Both my SB3 and SlimServer are in less than ideal positions in my wifi network in order to improve WAF. Is there anyway to force the SB3 to increase the amount of music that it buffers in order to decrease lags between songs?

funkstar
2005-12-25, 02:54
what format are you streaming to the player?

It's all a trade off. Is you use 64kbit MP3 there is loads of space, but the music will sounds rubish. Where as FLAC sounds great but eats up more buffer.

BTW, you didin't need to start two threads when they are both dealing with the same subject. TO answer your other query: i don't know if you can modify the SB (probably not) but you could look at getting a high gain antena for your router/wap

Michaelwagner
2005-12-25, 08:46
Other options ... for that location, get a wireless SB2 - they had antennas.

Get a bigger wireless antenna for the router or WAP.

The other issues you asked about in other postings are all related. Button pushes on the remote (with a very few exceptions that do things like rebooting the squeezebox) are handled over to the server. If connection to the server is an issue, so are the button pushes.

Do you live in an apartment or townhouse? Some people have reported that their neighbours also run wireless and that's the source of the interference. The SB runs on 802.11(b/g), and it's a little publicized fact that while there are 12 "channels" they are not independent. They are crammed close enough together that there is considerable side band interference. If you and your neighbour(s) are sharing a channel (worst case) or sharing adjacent channels (still bad), you might be able to work out a neighbourhood channel sharing arrangement that works better for all of you, and eliminates the need for more extra-ordinary measures.

superbad
2005-12-25, 10:05
I was having a lot of problems with interference from neighbors (I went from being the only visible wifi network to 1 of 7 in a year). I was getting dropouts on every song (streaming lossless to an SB1, so the connection has to be good). I got a Belkin pre-N router a couple weeks ago, and haven't had a dropout since. It seems to do a really good job of overpowering all the other networks, even on a regular B/G connection.

stoobie-doo
2005-12-25, 10:22
Ugh...should have included the details before...

SB2 did not pass WAF test, so no luck switching to that.

Already using both an external 7db antenna and a 500db signal amplifier on the router (both Hawking) to try to goose the signal strength. Trying to keep the router close to the desktop so that we always have a wired connection. (And yes - I intentionally put up separate posts since I am used to a one topic per post rule on other bboards)

Mainly streaming 128 and 160kbit AAC so far.

In a house, the SB3 only sees the home router.

If the SB3 could maintain a full buffer rather than drawing it down and refilling it at the end of each song, I would think that would solve the problem, which I leave to the firmware gurus to say whether that is in the works or even feasible.

I'm not getting interfernce, just a delay in between songs sometimes as the buffer refills.

Michaelwagner
2005-12-25, 10:39
Already using both an external 7db antenna and a 500db signal amplifier on the router (both Hawking) to try to goose the signal strength.

Is the router 802.11b or g?

In a house, the SB3 only sees the home router.
This doesn't mean there isn't interference. What sort of signal strength is the SB3 reporting? What sort of speed? Have you tried looking at the network health screen?

If the SB3 could maintain a full buffer rather than drawing it down and refilling it at the end of each song, I would think that would solve the problem, which I leave to the firmware gurus to say whether that is in the works or even feasible.
I don't know why the SB does that...I think both 2s and 3s do it, though.

I'm not getting interfernce, just a delay in between songs sometimes as the buffer refills.
How long does the buffer take to refill? Are we talking 1 second or 20? Have you tried using cross-fade? With cross-fade, the SB3 will start fetching the next song before the last one ends, up to 10 seconds (which is why I asked, how long is it taking to fill the buffer).

sirozha
2005-12-25, 22:56
Ugh...should have included the details before...

SB2 did not pass WAF test, so no luck switching to that.

Already using both an external 7db antenna and a 500db signal amplifier on the router (both Hawking) to try to goose the signal strength. Trying to keep the router close to the desktop so that we always have a wired connection. (And yes - I intentionally put up separate posts since I am used to a one topic per post rule on other bboards)

I hope you are not using a 500db signal amplifier. This would amplify your signal by 10^50 times. If your router puts out 50 mW, your amplifier would put out 5 x 10^48 W. I doubt this is what's happening, but if it is, you are consuming power equal to the entire output of a large nuclear power plant. You are also radiating enough electromagentic power to fry everyone living within a few miles radius.

stoobie-doo
2005-12-26, 23:21
I hope you are not using a 500db signal amplifier. This would amplify your signal by 10^50 times. If your router puts out 50 mW, your amplifier would put out 5 x 10^48 W. I doubt this is what's happening, but if it is, you are consuming power equal to the entire output of a large nuclear power plant. You are also radiating enough electromagentic power to fry everyone living within a few miles radius.
Who knew? Now I know what that glow was. Actually is a 500 mW amp.

Heuer
2005-12-27, 04:33
Try dLAN plugs (e.g.Devolo) to get you round the blackspot. Basically they will give you a LAN using mains wiring and can be used in conjunction with WiFi. Had the same problem and the dLAN's work great - I used the 85mbit versions but the 14mbit types should be enough.

Michaelwagner
2005-12-27, 08:35
Who knew? Now I know what that glow was.
Yeah, I noticed the 500dB thing, but let it slide as an obvious mistake. 500dB is an *e*normous gain.

liv
2005-12-28, 07:49
Stoo

Have you tried firmware upgrades... chk OpenWRT or HyperWRT (for Linksys) to boost your signal. All of a sudden I started to experience dropouts several times a day and after reviewing the performance metrics... used HyperWRT and it seemed to resolve my problem... check out OpenWRT for other wireless routers/bridges.

Liv

shvejk
2005-12-28, 09:11
>Is there anyway to boost the antenna strength or connect an external
>antenna to the SB3?

Try Belkin Pre-N router. They are now quite reasonably priced. Very
significantly impoved range and signal quality for me. This is comparing to
Motorola G router.

No hacking required :)

Hope it helps.

liv
2005-12-28, 12:02
Hacked Router :(
No Dropouts :)

... the devil made me do it :)

stoobie-doo
2005-12-28, 21:41
>Is there anyway to boost the antenna strength or connect an external
>antenna to the SB3?

Try Belkin Pre-N router. They are now quite reasonably priced. Very
significantly impoved range and signal quality for me. This is comparing to
Motorola G router.

No hacking required :)

Hope it helps.

Hmm.. I had stayed away from pre-N and Mimo because I thought I needed the same tech on both ends. Are you using the Pre-N with matching equipment in your server? Are you seeing signal improvements at the SB also?

nicktf
2005-12-29, 02:29
Stoo

Have you tried firmware upgrades... chk OpenWRT or HyperWRT (for Linksys) to boost your signal. All of a sudden I started to experience dropouts several times a day and after reviewing the performance metrics... used HyperWRT and it seemed to resolve my problem... check out OpenWRT for other wireless routers/bridges.

Liv

I was in the situation of getting a 66-70% signal on the squeezebox, but the buffer would remain woefully low when playing FLACs (transcoding to 320kbps would work fine) - I took this to indicate that though my signal strength was fine, there were significant numbers of errors.

By going to the the HyperWRT firmware and boosting my signal strength to 82% (IIRC), the dropouts have gone, and the network test (most useful plugin of the year?) is happy to stream at 2000 kbps +

It really is a very strightforward upgrade for Linksys owners (though check your rev. number as not all are supported), so don't be frightened :-)

dean
2005-12-29, 17:07
On Dec 28, 2005, at 8:41 PM, stoobie-doo wrote:
> Hmm.. I had stayed away from pre-N and Mimo because I thought I needed
> the same tech on both ends. Are you using the Pre-N with matching
> equipment in your server? Are you seeing signal improvements at the SB
> also?

I had gone through a bunch of wireless routers placed in various
places around the house. I settled on a couple of netgears, a
linksys and an airport, but the coverage was spotty.

Then on the recommendation of a friend I got a Belkin Pre-N and was
able to turn off all of the other ones and cover my whole house,
including the bedroom two floors up and diagonally across the
floorplan, and share my network connection with some neighbors. It's
been very stable and reliable with my Squeezeboxen. Highly recommended.

-dean

liv
2005-12-29, 22:52
What turned me around on stability was a post I read.... quite simply got down to that most problems got down to the network performance and not the squeezebox... so looking at the performance logs..(which is how I would normally look at a problem at work) led me to the solution.... fix the network, fix the server and the problems will go away.....

however you resolve your signal issue will ultimately correct any dropout issues... I've tested the Squeezebox now over 3 days continuous playing without 1 drop out by boosting the signal...however you decide to correct your wireless issue will get you there.

Liv